Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You get a kit and I'll Cerakote the brass black for you! LOL

Hey, check out Brass Black! Maybe? Just an idea. Apparently, cold blue as well...

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/18/21.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Naa I could make all those parts myself.

Last edited by smallfry; 09/18/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Could or would? Make sure to share if you do find something more to your liking or put something together.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I could, not sure if I I would put the effort in it though once I got it. I have been wanting more and more to start building own flintlocks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Heard back today. Nice communications with them...

Only one question remains, which grade of Maple?

Colonial Rifle kit, 58 caliber rifled barrel, no patch box, and plain, fancy or extra fancy maple which is from Pennsylvania?

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My stockmaking instructor at Trinidad told me once you’ll have the exact same amount of time in a plain piece of wood as you would a fancy piece of wood - which one would you rather look at when your finished?

If you go fancy I’d request a photo if they’ll oblige so you see what you’ll be working with?

I’ll try and get some pics up of the one I finished…..I chose the extra fancy😉

PennDog

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks! I know I know I know... It's only money. LOL

Love to see anyone's maple....

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Colonial Rifle kit, 58 caliber rifled barrel, no patch box, and plain, fancy or extra fancy maple which is from Pennsylvania?

Prob in the Colonial I’d go extra fancy BUT what does the blank look like? For me picking out blanks is like picking out steaks at the butcher shop or vise versa. You won’t be going wrong with a 58. That barrel swamped?
S.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by smallfry

Prob in the Colonial I’d go extra fancy BUT what does the blank look like? For me picking out blanks is like picking out steaks at the butcher shop or vise versa. You won’t be going wrong with a 58. That barrel swamped?
S.

If they’ll send photos it would be of the semi-inlet no need to look at blanks here.

PennDog

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Order in.

Colonial Rifle kit, 58 caliber, rifled, Extra Fancy Maple. I ordered with a delayed delivery planned for the end of November...

Thanks guys!

Now share your maple stock finishing tips?

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
MB - I tried to post photos of my southern rifle but it says photos to large even though I supposedly resized to meet the 2MB maximum size?? Anyway I'd be glad to email you some photos if you'd like just send me your email.

Can't wait to see your Colonial when you get it - I would like a larger caliber muzzleloader to do some deer/bear hunting with.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 09/21/21.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Prepare the rotten vegetables, stale bread and other appropriate projectiles from the crowd! Today, Kibler's announced a $75 off sale on maple and fancy maple. So, I dropped down to standard for a $325 cut over the Extra Fancy! The horror of it.....

Originally Posted by PennDog
MB - I tried to post photos of my southern rifle but it says photos to large even though I supposedly resized to meet the 2MB maximum size?? Anyway I'd be glad to email you some photos if you'd like just send me your email.

Can't wait to see your Colonial when you get it - I would like a larger caliber muzzleloader to do some deer/bear hunting with.

PennDog

Thanks, I'll get in touch and post them up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
In regards to finishing, ask him if he's got any scrap to send you as test pieces. Then get some Laurel Mountain Forge stains and see what tickles your fancy. You'll get all sorts of input for what finish to use. What's your plan for the metal? I like rust bluing the best because it's historical, I like the look of blued metal, and it's easy to do: just boil water.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
In regards to finishing, ask him if he's got any scrap to send you as test pieces. Then get some Laurel Mountain Forge stains and see what tickles your fancy. You'll get all sorts of input for what finish to use. What's your plan for the metal? I like rust bluing the best because it's historical, I like the look of blued metal, and it's easy to do: just boil water.

I am seeking test pieces. Maple is new to me, both in looks and processes to get it there. So I will do a bunch more picture searching.

No decision on the metal. I need to look into options. I might Cerakote some of it! The horror. 😁

The brass? Polished or black, probably not try to antique it.

Since I decided to skip the extra fancy wood, I am leaning even more towards a pure utility hunting rifle. I won't go camo or something obscene though....

I just don't know yet what to think. (obviously)

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pabucktail

I am seeking test pieces. Maple is new to me, both in looks and processes to get it there. So I will do a bunch more picture searching.

No decision on the metal. I need to look into options. I might Cerakote some of it! The horror. 😁

The brass? Polished or black, probably not try to antique it.

Since I decided to skip the extra fancy wood, I am leaning even more towards a pure utility hunting rifle. I won't go camo or something obscene though....

I just don't know yet what to think. (obviously)

Blasphemy! Well it’s your rifle. Not always a fan of brass, it’s ok but I’ve been really into iron mounted guns. Now you are going to have to fiddle a 58 flintlock pistol together.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Aqua fortis on the maple, flash it with a torch then rinse it with a baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid. Finish with hand rubbed linseed oil

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.