Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I accidentally stumbled upon both within the past 2 years.
The 30-06 guide rifle had had the muzzle break cut off and barrel re-crowned. I put it in a Bell & Carlson Ruger stock. I have not had the opportunity to put a scope on it or get to the range with it. It is not a light weight, but it’s compactness certainly seems handy. I think this is the only one that I have personally seen in a 30-06.
It is a close match for the 375 and 416 Ruger Alaskans.

HR IC

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by BWalker
Bwalker. Ok, we get it. Blocky, ugly, unrefined. All subjective...any you are certainly welcome to your opinion. But is it necessary to repeat it over and over

That they are cheaply cast and blocky is not subjective. It's fact. It's also a fact that after casting they need to be wailed on with a hammer to straighten them.

I'd say "blocky" is quite subjective. And "cheaply cast" could be considered an efficient manufacturing technique. FWIW I don't see anything in this NRA article referencing "wailing". And what if it WERE required, why is that bad??

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/casting-call-ruger-s-investment-casting-process/

To be clear they are shaped like a damn brick.
You might read Otteson's book where he details the actions being hammered in.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Bwalker. Ok, we get it. Blocky, ugly, unrefined. All subjective...any you are certainly welcome to your opinion. But is it necessary to repeat it over and over

That they are cheaply cast and blocky is not subjective. It's fact. It's also a fact that after casting they need to be wailed on with a hammer to straighten them.

Geeze, we're back to the claim of hammering again. Watch this old fella Glenn Morrow run a Ruger 77 action through hydraulic presses and a dozen dial indicators. 3:29 of this video:

Check out Ottesons book. He details how crooked the actions are as cast and the hammering it takes to "straighten" them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by zcm82
As long as a rifle functions properly and shoots straight, I don't really care if they beat them with a sock full of frozen horse turds to finish them.

Not really sure what the point of yammering on and on about the post-casting process is as long as they work, which they do.

The Savage 340 was a hideously ugly club, but they do their job, too.

You are completely missing the point. The point is they are cheap rifles and should be priced as such, but they are not.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I accidentally stumbled upon both within the past 2 years.
The 30-06 guide rifle had had the muzzle break cut off and barrel re-crowned. I put it in a Bell & Carlson Ruger stock. I have not had the opportunity to put a scope on it or get to the range with it. It is not a light weight, but it’s compactness certainly seems handy. I think this is the only one that I have personally seen in a 30-06.
It is a close match for the 375 and 416 Ruger Alaskans.

Post pics !!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as a rifle functions properly and shoots straight, I don't really care if they beat them with a sock full of frozen horse turds to finish them.

Not really sure what the point of yammering on and on about the post-casting process is as long as they work, which they do.

You are completely missing the point. The point is they are cheap rifles and should be priced as such, but they are not.

If that was the point, you could have saved a lot of effort and just said so initially. If you don't like the way they look, that's just your personal opinion, which you are more than welcome to have.

I personally like M70s. But I have always admired Bill Ruger's ability to "meet the market" starting with the Single Six.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good lord dude, let it go. People love Rugers because they're bomb proof and last forever. If being cheap makes them that way, give me a cheap rifle...

I've had two walnut/blued and regret selling both.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Good lord dude, let it go. People love Rugers because they're bomb proof and last forever. If being cheap makes them that way, give me a cheap rifle...

Yup

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My tanger 270 gets it done every year.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

If that was the point, you could have saved a lot of effort and just said so initially. If you don't like the way they look, that's just your personal opinion, which you are more than welcome to have.

I personally like M70s. But I have always admired Bill Ruger's ability to "meet the market" starting with the Single Six.

I did...but regardless every single thing I said was absolutely true and if a guy want to pay model 70 prices for a cheap gun have at it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You ever wore out a rifle? I have several that have been rebarreld several times but for the life of me I can't kill the action.
As such lasting for ever is a pretty damn low bar.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had rifles with polymer parts break. I've had rifles that were supposedly high quality have poor bluing and corrosion resistance or have bad extractors that broke. And I've had rifles come brand new with feeding problems and stock fitment problems. None of them were ever made by Ruger. You see TONS of M77s from the 70s still in solid shape and shooting great. 50 years from now, how many Savage and Predator and Tikka plastic rifles do you think will still be in action?

I get it. You don't like them and think they're overpriced. That's fine. But for what they actually cost (the only $1300 M77 I've ever seen is the special anniversary whatever model that's been sitting unsold, online, for 2 years), it's a solid, rugged, dependable rifle with all wood and metal parts. If you can't figure out why people keep them and like them, there's not much else we can do for you.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
These Hawkeyes are getting big money

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/910948240

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Brownells correction. Compact lam/ss only $899. Hawkeye Predator, only $999. One of each left, so they sold several at those prices over a week. Craptastic RARs, $450.

Potential current 'bargains', sans plastic. Weatherby VG2 Sporter and Howa Hunters. Howa under $600, VG2 under $700, and fairly well done. (Howa seen elsewhere.) The wood Weatherby VG2 was pretty darn ok if one likes the the styling/ergos. I hope to pick one up, just because, after seeing it but not seeing the chambering of choice.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Brownells correction. Compact lam/ss only $899. Hawkeye Predator, only $999. One of each left, so they sold several at those prices over a week. Craptastic RARs, $450.

Potential current 'bargains', sans plastic. Weatherby VG2 Sporter and Howa Hunters. Howa under $600, VG2 under $700, and fairly well done. (Howa seen elsewhere.) The wood Weatherby VG2 was pretty darn ok if one likes the the styling/ergos. I hope to pick one up, just because, after seeing it but not seeing the chambering of choice.

Are these at a physical store location? They don't seem to have much of any rifles in stock online.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Are these at a physical store location? They don't seem to have much of any rifles in stock online.

At their store, yes sir, which is attached to the warehouse so you can get online stuff, with a little wait... Grinnell Iowa, right off I-80. Great restroom, free coffee and soda, guns and stuff. (A fraction of what they had 2 years ago, but, they're doing what they can.) And layaway too. Good AR trigger and grip display. Good riflescope display. Generally an expensive stop. 😁

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I don't think I've ever seen someone lead off the praise of a place with the words "Great restroom" This is for sure a laugh for the day!

And for what it's worth, when I came to live in Alaska over 20 years ago the two rifles that ruled the roost where Rugers and New Haven Model 70s, with a noticeably greater number of M77s represented since they were cheaper. Rugged, trustworthy rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta laugh at Fanboys and haters.

Almost a comedy act watching them both lie, and twist things!

One point that the Fanboys always make on the outsourced barrel issue.

That they were outsourced.
RUGER DIDNT MAKE THEM!!!

Big deal

And don't blame Wilson.

If you aren't involved in manufacturing, you might not understand.
I work in a place that does outsourcing of varied products, for various
companies and many applications.

Every product comes with a CUSTOMER supplied spec sheet.
They determine the standards across a bunch of topics.
Dimensions, how much solvent is in the material, resin content,
how well it molds......it goes on and on, depending on product.

And that's just the standards.
F'ups are a whole other deal.

We test for everything, and certify.
The customers verify.
If it's bad, it's scrapped or returned.
They get another batch.

Once they use our component.
Most liability is off us. They have verified quality.

See where this is going?

Ruger accepted these things for years.
Bill even covered his bases by statements about
"making hunting guns, not target rifles".
Another poster claims Ruger was happy with his 2" groups.

Why hide this?
It's 100% on Ruger.
THEY SCREWED THE POOCH!

It's old news, they fixed that issue.
Good in them. Finally.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The last two Ruger barrels I had to do with were Ruger made and they were quite good. Old standard loads shot very well without any fiddling, they didn't walk shots when warmed a bit nor did they foul to any significant degree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had nearly half a dozen Mark II's and I love my Hawkeye. I never owned a Tanger but have hunted with on in 7mm mag. I'd like to pick up a tang safety 270 at some point.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.