Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Need a better grinder, our old one is getting tired, Also setting up to do all our own butchering, including beef. So who makes a good grinder for doing several deer, a hog or two, and a beef every year?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
LEM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using a Lem for a long time and it has never let me down. It is size 8 and it is good for about 50=100 lbs of sausage per year for me, but if iI was doing more and bigger pieces I would a #12 or bigger like a #32 .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bryant-Denny on a Saturday night in October if they're in the hunt.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Been using a Carnivore 3/4hp #12 from Cabela’s for about 4 years. Can’t complain. Got the mixer that attaches to the grinder for mixing burger and sausage. Can’t complain.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
After buying two I would recommend start by going up one size bigger than you think you need. I process 4-6 deer and antelope a year and usually at 6-10 pigs I have the LEM brand and my dad has the Cabelas brand size 8 both were pretty equal. We used to run both to process our deer or pigs together on the same day but after I bought a bigger one horse power size 22 and it goes faster through meat than the two smaller ones combined with half the clean up time. I had the seal go out on the #8 LEM and their customer service department was very good to deal with. When I bought a bigger one I bought another LEM size 22 but got a refurbished one for a lot less and it has run like a champ for five years now. Big difference in how the bigger size 22 doesn’t bog down on semi frozen meat and the bigger neck makes loading the second grind go faster. This time I also got a separate knife for each grind plate and kept them paired together and it makes a noticeable difference in how long they stayed sharp and doesn’t gum up as fast. Another thing I wish I bought sooner was the foot pedal for the power cord, and the bulk bag and tape dispenser kit for bulk sausage and hamburger it’s so much faster than a vacuum sealer and stays just as fresh for a year in my freezer. The plastic meat lugs LEM sells are great get at least one more than you think you need they are really handy, aren’t that expensive, and make the day go smoother, we use them for a lot of stuff like picking vegetables in the garden too, but if you get a smaller size grinder get the economy or shallower meat lug so it fits under the grinder spout, the heavy duty doesn’t fit under the number 8 LEM I have. I don’t do little batches of grind if we get the grinder out I try to do a few animals at once or call over a buddy or two to get their freezer cleaned out to make it worth the clean up. Made a day of it but the two of us made 70 lbs of antelope and wild hog breakfast sausage, 80 lbs venison and wild hog Italian sausage, and 40 lbs of venison hamburger with 15% hog belly a few Saturdays ago. All got a double grind the size 22 grinder didn’t slow us down it was waiting on me more than the other way around, going up in size on the neck of the grinder makes feeding the second grind in a lot easier big difference in going from an 8 to the 22 not sure if the size bigger 32 would have gone any faster. I don’t think I need to go up to the size 32 and I have no complaints with my LEM grinder but if I were starting over today, for the price I would be tempted to try the big size 32 1.5 hp from meat your maker especially if your going to tackle a whole beef at home!, I have bought a few little things like a bone saw and vacuum bags and the chamber vacuum sealer from meat your maker .com and it’s been working well for over a year, they were helpful on the phone coaching me on how to use the vacuum sealer when I got it.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
don't buy the cheaper basspro/cabelas crap, constantly clog on sinew, I've tried 3 different ones people have had, you spend more time unclogging than grinding.

A decent new unit will cost 500 to 1000. Might find a used butcher unit.

I personally use 2 old grind o matics, 50s/60s models, built like tanks, metal gears, only 180 watts and slow... but steady and never clogs. My buddy gave away his cabelas brand he bought, couldn't take the headache, he just borrowed my grinders for a deer and said man they just kept going, not fast but steady. One has a more open plate for the first grind and the other tighter for the second.

If I was doing more than a deer and elk per year I'd get a good commercial unit new or used.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabela's is junk, I bought one a few years ago because they were a little cheaper than the LEM if the same size and returned it ASAP. Got so hot from the transmission it literally cooked meat in the unit while grinding and I had to unclog it several times on a single deer. Bought an LEM one size bigger and am very happy with it. It'll grind as fast as you can feed it. Much better built by far and doesn't get even warm. Got a foot pedal with it too, highly recommend that as well. I'll never consider Cabela's brand ever again.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lem or cabelas are good grinders and you dont need a huge one. ran a lem #5 for 4-5 years and it saw 50-150lb batches 4-5 times a year without any problems

bought a used #8 cabelas and have been using it for a year or so. grinds a little faster and works good.

main thing it sharp blades and cold meat. it also helps to add a little water to your mixes to make it go thru the grinder easier. make sure to tighten the head on any grinder tight, foot pedal is great to have with any grinder.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Best meat grinder?

The Middle East.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time I was there, there was an old three phase grinder at a flea market, in Little Rock, Ar. The output plate was between 6-8 inches across. (estimated) Could hardly keep from asking the price and buying it even though it is way too big for me. And I don't have three phase electric available. It has been there for several years. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got a LEM. No issues.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a light duty commercial meat grinder.
It is light years better than the cheaply made crap sold by Cabelas etc...
Compared to those it would be considered heavy duty.

https://www.visionequipment.com/pro...t-grinder-sausage-beef-mill-manual-feed/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
LEM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Cabela's is junk, I bought one a few years ago because they were a little cheaper than the LEM if the same size and returned it ASAP. Got so hot from the transmission it literally cooked meat in the unit while grinding and I had to unclog it several times on a single deer. Bought an LEM one size bigger and am very happy with it. It'll grind as fast as you can feed it. Much better built by far and doesn't get even warm. Got a foot pedal with it too, highly recommend that as well. I'll never consider Cabela's brand ever again.

I had the same experience with a Cabela's-branded unit several years ago. I also have a LEM and while it's loud as hell, works fine. But as krp and Salmonella suggested, I'd go commercial with that amount of grinding.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SCRooster
Bryant-Denny on a Saturday night in October if they're in the hunt.

Great answer to the yearly grinder thread! Not many will get it though. lol

I use a LEM #5 on a few deer a year. Works great. Don't forget the foot switch.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I had the same experience with a Cabela's-branded unit several years ago. I also have a LEM and while it's loud as hell, works fine. But as krp and Salmonella suggested, I'd go commercial with that amount of grinding.

I used to do 20-30 deer 6-8 antelope several elk and at least a buffalo or two a year before we moved. Once I get my shop built we'll be up to that again and doing beef. His yearly demands aren't what I would consider a lot. Granted it's way more than your average hunter but the bigger LEM units will serve him just fine. I may need to upgrade to a commercial unit before long, but only due to volume, not power needs

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The older Cabela's commercial grinders were LEMs. I'd just buy an LEM now because Cabela's sucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
The older Cabela's commercial grinders were LEMs. I'd just buy an LEM now because Cabela's sucks.

When I called Cabela's trying to remedy my burger frying grinder, they referred me to Weston. Like so many things, I'm sure many brands are from the same Chinese factory. Label du jour...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.