Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a perfect example of the early KS rifles I love so much. The stock is Brown Precision, but I've never seen a black one.

Did Remington ever put a black stock on the early KS rifles like this one?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I think it’s mostly the lighting of the pictures. Some of the browns were quite dark in tone - not quite black but more of a dark brown. I would say that’s definitely the way it came from Remington.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I think it’s mostly the lighting of the pictures. Some of the browns were quite dark in tone - not quite black but more of a dark brown. I would say that’s definitely the way it came from Remington.

I knew you'd be along shortly. The only guy we're missing is OregonMuley.

Thanks AKW.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Plenty of others with extensive ks knowledge besides us; they just don’t post as often anymore. gene270 and dd come to mind. I bought quite a few of my ks from Gene.

I think picture #2 gives a more accurate representation of the color.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Plenty of others with extensive ks knowledge besides us; they just don’t post as often anymore. gene270 and dd come to mind. I bought quite a few of my ks from Gene.

I think picture #2 gives a more accurate representation of the color.

Yeah, several knowledgable members don't seem to post much anymore. I still miss Shrapnel and Tanner.

Whenever you get ready to part with a few of those KS rifles, give me a call.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Mine, a 375 H&H with the Brown stock, was grey. I bought it used and upon disassembly found a crack in the bedding at the recoil lug. I called Remington and they said to send it in. It came back bedded in a McM KS stock. The McM was a bit lighter in color than the Brown. This was 1997 or so.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That looks to me like one of the early model Alaskan Wilderness Rifles from way back when. Same exact thing as the KS.
Definitely a Brown Precision stock. Hella good find!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunnut308
That looks to me like one of the early model Alaskan Wilderness Rifles from way back when. Same exact thing as the KS.

I was going to say the same exact thing.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Alaskan Wilderness Rifles weren’t introduced until after the transition to McMillan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Alaskan Wilderness Rifles weren’t introduced until after the transition to McMillan.

Mid 90's?

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an early original Alaskan Wilderness Rifle, and original box, shot it recently. It's stock is black, but the texture of the stock in the link you posted is different from my AWR. The original AWR stocks were Mcmillan. The shape and style is similar to the one in the link posted but the texture on the close up pictures of the stock in the link is different.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is epic of my Alaskan Wilderness Rifle. The attachment manager won't let me upload a file larger than 99kbs.

Attached Images
AWR 700 35Kb.jpg (14.92 KB, 309 downloads)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I knew you'd be along shortly. The only guy we're missing is OregonMuley.

Thanks AKW.

grin I know of one true factory KS in .280 no less that did come with a black painted stock. I have a friend here in Oregon that I turned into a KS nut and helped him find 2 KS rifles about 7-8 years ago. We found him a pristine .270 at a local Cabelas for a good deal that he bought for his wife. Then several months later I found a listing for a KS .280 with a black stock. I wasn't 100% that it was a true KS but he contacted the seller and got all the particulars and then contacted the Remington Custom Shop to find out about this rifle. Per their answer it was a special one they built for either SHOT Show or some other trade show don't recall which but it had a black painted McMillan. This was also a stainless KS that they had coated black, don't recall if it was Cerakote or maybe something else, but I do know it was a beautiful rifle.

I had a chance to buy it a couple years ago but in a moment of brain fog I passed - I regret that dumb decision. I need to look around, I may be able to find a picture of said rifle.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 09/16/21.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Mid 90's?

Best I can tell the transition was a bit earlier. I have never been able to track down an exact date or serial number or barrel code, but according to Mark Brown it was somewhere right around 1990. I suspect given the low volume of the KS production it may have occurred over months or even years. I do know that I have never seen a stainless KS in anything other than a McMillan; so the transition was probably complete by about that time (92-93).

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunnut308

If it wasn't a LH, it would already be in-bounds to my safe.

I don't know what it is about them, but regardless of what I buy/own/shoot, I keep coming back to them.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Gunnut308 and Mwarren got it.
Remington AWR 1990s.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hugh_W2
Gunnut308 and Mwarren got it.
Remington AWR 1990s.

Not at B68 … that’s an 80’s gun.
First gen awr is stainless and sn starts with an S.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
I have one that I ordered new from custom shop in 1994 IIRC.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Mid 90's?

Best I can tell the transition was a bit earlier. I have never been able to track down an exact date or serial number or barrel code, but according to Mark Brown it was somewhere right around 1990. I suspect given the low volume of the KS production it may have occurred over months or even years. I do know that I have never seen a stainless KS in anything other than a McMillan; so the transition was probably complete by about that time (92-93).

Mine still has a Brown stock, per the date code it was built April 91, I bought it September 1992. If anyone remembers Darren aka darrenk75B who was a master at repainting stocks. Anyway, I had him repaint it and he was certain it was a Brown having worked on several Brown stocks. The ejection port on the Brown is a little more rounded along the edges versus the McMillan.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes; inletting is also subtlety different, as is the shape of the bolt handle cutout. Darren would certainly know.

Iirc that one is coated? C prefix?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.