Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey everyone,
its been awhile since i posted here. but i have a question for all of you. ok i am getting into varmint hunting (fox, coyote, and possibly bobcat). i was looking at the .223 first but then also began looking at the 12ga. loaded with buckshot, i know the range would be limited with the buckshot but here in Maine especially where i hunt the shots would most likely be close. Another thing about the 12ga. is that it can be used as an Upland game gun and if i get a rifled barrel would be a great deer gun with slugs. However if a longer shot presented itself the .223 would be nice to have. they both have there advantages and disadvantages. what would everyone suggest i go for.
Thanks,
YH

MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
First I would decide if you are a scatter gun man or a rifle man. What do you hunt mostly? What does your states laws allow? Are you shotgun only for deer hunting? Minimum caliber restrictions for deer? Take these into consideration.<p>A good argument for the 223 is that it is an excellent varmint cartridge. Is it a deer cartridge? Many will argue that it is adequate for deer and many will argue it is not adequate for deer. (very debatable) You must decide.<p>A good argument for the shotgun is that it is great for upland game and with a rifled barrel can be made into a fine slug gun, and it is good for varmints at close range.<p>These are things you need to consider.<p>I'll go out on a limb here and say neither! (sorry for not answering your question.) Here is why I would suggest something different. I would suggest the 243. Why? To me, it is really a great little cartridge. They come in light fast handling rifles that may be suited to your type of hunting. The 243 is an excellent varmint round when loaded with Noslers 55 gr Balistic tip. You'll turn a fox inside out! When loaded with the heavier bullets, say 100 grains, they are good deer medicine, providing proper shot placement.<p>Just my penny's worth.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
H
H
Why don't you get both in the same gun? Savage makes a over and under with the shotgun in the bottom barrel and rifle cal. on top. They make it with the 223,30-30 and 22lr. 12 or 20 gauge shotgun. There is another firearm manufactor that makes a 223cal. top barrel and 12 gauge bottom pump action repeater. It has one trigger with a selective lever to switch barrels. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Blammer,
For deer i always hunt with a rifle, but there are some shotgun only areas popping up here in Maine also. the minimum caliber for deer is .22 mag. I believe that with proper shot placement the .223 will take a deer, however i wouldnt use one for deer. thanks for the suggestion of the .243 i hadnt really thought much about that cartridge.
Mark,
I had first thougth about the Savage combo gun , but i have heard that they are not very accurate with the rifle barrel. i dont know if this is a common occurance with those guns.
YH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you planning to do anything with your furs? Be advised that buyers will dock you for holes in the hide. The bigger the hole, the less you are going to get for it. The .223 would be your best choice for the least dammage to the hides. The .243 will turn a fox inside out and it will cause a lot of dammage on a bobcat pelt as well. I prefer the .22 calibers for fur bearing varmints. Shotguns at close range are rather hard on pelts too. I made considerable amounts of change calling varmints and selling furs during the 70's and into the 80's. In my opinion, the .222, .223, 22-250, or .220 Swift are the best calibers for collecting furs. <p>If you don't care about fur dammage and also want to shoot deer with the rifle then the .243 is the best choice.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
YoungHunter,
Here's more food for thought...<p>Purchase both. Buy the shotgun of your choice, so that you'll have the versatility of an upland hunting weapon w/ the rifled slug barrel option.<p>Then buy a military surplus rifle for varmints and/or deer hunting. I own a Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54R that I purchased for $80 and it shoots 180gr. S&B ammo in a 2 1/2" group at 100 yards with open sights. There are other military rifle options such as the Swedish 6.5x55, British .303 Enfield, Jap 6.5, etc. Most of these rifles can be purchased for less than $200 and ammo is very available and inexpensive.<p>I don't mean to complicate things for you...rather to provide you with more options. [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] <p>Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Blammer,
I got looking at the .243 and i couldnt resist, today i bought an NEF SB2 in .243 and i am very pleased. thanks for the suggestion.
YH

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Young hunter. This isn't much of an answer but my favorite way to call uses both. I like to call with a partner. We usually set up with some distance between us, depending on terrain and cover, with a shotgun and rifle for the man downwind. The caller usually just carries a rifle. Most of the time the critter will circle to the downwind side and end up close to the shooter. Splitting up allows the shooter to get away with more movement. Sometimes they hang out too far and a rifle is needed. We try not to get too far apart so we dont end up with one between us. Sometimes the caller gets the shot but more often the person downwind gets the best opportunity.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,890
Posts18,518,307
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.