H
I really like my DW V-Bob.

He went over yonder way
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have had very good luck with Colt 1911s.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I was looking for one today, the first place I would look would be at Colt. Either at an older used version or a new one.
Mine have been quite reliable through the years and held up to a fair bit of use.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[quote=deflave]If I was dumb enough to want a 1911
Grab yer wallet man cause you sure gots the qualifications!!

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
As I understand your posts you want something that never chokes. The only one of my 1911s that would run seconds of the red plastic coated bullets in 45ACP was an an older Bill Wilson CQB. The Tisas was a close second with only one choke. My new semi-customs all choked repeatedly on those rounds.

My recommendation is that you buy a used Glock or CZ first and then buy the cheapest 1911 you can find new or used. Run the 1911 for fun until it chokes and then sell it. Depend on the Glock or CZ that you bought first and keep buying and selling the 1911s until you find that 1911 that never chokes. It could turn out to be a $600 Rock Island.

Best of luck and have fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nalabama
Run the 1911 for fun until it chokes and then sell it. Depend on the Glock or CZ that you bought first and keep buying and selling the 1911s until you find that 1911 that never chokes. It could turn out to be a $600 Rock Island.

Usually not hard to rectify the "choking"................................just sayin'.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make mine a CZ/Dan Wesson.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
[/quote]

Usually not hard to rectify the "choking"................................just sayin'.

MM

Can’t argue with that, but the OP said he didn’t want to go through that sort of stuff.

Last edited by nalabama; 09/18/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCS271
I have only owned two 1911's that were NO FAIL. Springfield Armory Ronin and a Sig Scorpion.

I'll never buy another Kimber!

I agree 100%

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1911s are finicky to say the least!!! There are so many variables that can effect how they run (or won't run). Anything from ammo selection to magazines to extractor tuning and anything in between can cause reliability issues. I have found that they are a very individualistic platform, meaning you can buy 2 identical 1911s off the shelf and one of them can have reliability issues, the other perfect. Find one you like, test it with the ammo you like, if a no go, change mags, ammo or both. If still a no go, start trouble shooting in more detail.

I have built several myself, from rebuilding a factory gun to building a full custom. So far (knock on wood) never had to give up on one.

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JGray
Don't see much mention of S&W but I'm pretty satisfied with a couple of them - an adjustable sight target model and a scandium frame Commander.

Yes, I was wondering about the lack of mentions of the S&W's as well. I've got a fullsize S&W and a pair of Commander-size pistols, all in the light Scandium frame. They are all accurate and reliable. I don't use the S&W mags, though... I run either Wilson or CMC mags in all my 1911's.

I acquired the full size S&W at an informal pistol match (bowling pins)... the owner had repeated failures to feed on the firing line. He was shooting good ball ammo, and I know he's a good pistol shooter, but it kept choking on him. I offered him a straight across for Glock 30, as I know he's a Glockophile, and I had a pair of them on hand to trade/sell... he jumped at the deal. I took his pistol apart, gave it a wee clean, and then took it back up to the firing line with some Wilson's magazines and a couple boxes of hardball. It functioned just fine.

Magazines are the key to function in any autopistol, but for some reason a lot of manufacturers skimp on their mags and the result is pistols that choke.

Last edited by DocRocket; 09/19/21.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Current & recent past S&W 1911's are very underrated, maybe just lack of big numbers of them in the market..............or maybe some other factor, I dunno.

They are generally very good performers & S&W knows how to get the external extractor right, compared to Kimber's fiasco with that version.

MM

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I'd look for an older Series 70 Colt's Combat Commander

I've had and have old and new 70 series Colts the new 70 series guns are top notch in my opinion.

Hard to go wrong with a Colt.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
May get booed here but , I'm not big 1911 guy but I do have (box is labeled armscor ultra) , gun is stamped RIA A1-tact II . Itx strait up sold never had an issue , shot about 500 rounds. It. was used before I got it

Last edited by ldholton; 09/19/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Current & recent past S&W 1911's are very underrated, maybe just lack of big numbers of them in the market..............or maybe some other factor, I dunno.

They are generally very good performers & S&W knows how to get the external extractor right, compared to Kimber's fiasco with that version.

MM

How soon people forget. Drive Cooper Arms almost to bankruptcy over a donation to BamBam but go all forgiving to S&W after they pull this

Here are just some of the terms of the S & W/Clinton-Gore Administration agreement:

CONSUMER IMPACT . . .

Prohibited from buying more than one handgun in a 14-day period.
Prohibited from buying a firearm without passing an unspecified safety test.
Prohibited from buying a self-defense handgun that did not meet arbitrary accuracy standards.
Prohibited, if under age 18, from even walking into the firearms section of a sporting goods store unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
DEALER IMPACT . . .

Prohibited from selling legal semi-automatic rifles, commonplace ammunition magazines and firearms that do not meet the difficult standards established in the agreement.
Prohibited from selling firearms at any gun show where any legal private sale is conducted.
Required to include with every firearm sold, a false written statement in large bold-face type that hundreds of children die each year from firearm accidents.
Required to carry $1 million in liability insurance and perform tasks properly handled by law enforcement to comply with the edicts of a new "Oversight Commission."
MANUFACTURER IMPACT . . .

Prohibited from marketing any firearm in a way that appeals to young shooters and hunters.
Required to dedicate 1% of revenues to a propaganda campaign promoting the dangers of gun ownership.
Required to support legislative efforts to reduce firearms misuse and development of "smart" gun technology.
Required to "ballistically fingerprint" every firearm, thus setting up backdoor national firearms registration.
Required to meet certain unproven design standards for handguns sold only to civilians--guns sold to military and police would be exempted, thereby showing the intent is not to make guns safer or better, but to impose standards that will ultimately eliminate sales, to private citizens.
Required to manufacture pistol with positive, manually-operated safety devices as determined by BATF standards applying to imported handguns. BATF has repeatedly handed down politically-driven misinterpretations of the "sporting purposes" importation law, to prohibit many semi-auto rifles and handguns.

S&W is forever junk and on my total ban list.

Last edited by Swifty52; 09/20/21.

Swifty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
May get booed here but , I'm not big 1911 guy but I do have (box is labeled armscor ultra) , gun is stamped RIA A1-tact II . Itx strait up sold never had an issue , shot about 500 rounds. It. was used before I got it

I have two Rock Island pistols, and they are head and shoulders better than their Colt equivalents from back in the '70s and '80s. I had lots of Colts from back then, and I'd have to invest a fortune to bring them up to what I got with the Rock Island pistols. They are a lot better than their finish implies, certainly.
New Colts might be better, but might not be, either. I have a '90s vintage Custom Shop Colt that isn't much better than the Rock, and I think that's due to the trigger job from the Custom Shop. They might not be pretty, but they seem to function quite well.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52

MM

How soon people forget. Drive Cooper Arms almost to bankruptcy over a donation to BamBam but go all forgiving to S&W after they pull this

Here are just some of the terms of the S & W/Clinton-Gore Administration agreement:

CONSUMER IMPACT . . .

Prohibited from buying a self-defense handgun that did not meet arbitrary accuracy standards.
Prohibited, if under age 18, from even walking into the firearms section of a sporting goods store unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
DEALER IMPACT . . .

Prohibited from selling legal semi-automatic rifles, commonplace ammunition magazines and firearms that do not meet the difficult standards established in the agreement.
Prohibited from selling firearms at any gun show where any legal private sale is conducted.
Required to include with every firearm sold, a false written statement in large bold-face type that hundreds of children die each year from firearm accidents.
Required to carry $1 million in liability insurance and perform tasks properly handled by law enforcement to comply with the edicts of a new "Oversight Commission."

Prohibited from marketing any firearm in a way that appeals to young shooters and hunters.
Required to dedicate 1% of revenues to a propaganda campaign promoting the dangers of gun ownership.
Required to support legislative efforts to reduce firearms misuse and development of "smart" gun technology.
Required to "ballistically fingerprint" every firearm, thus setting up backdoor national firearms registration.
Required to meet certain unproven design standards for handguns sold only to civilians--guns sold to military and police would be exempted, thereby showing the intent is not to make guns safer or better, but to impose standards that will ultimately eliminate sales, to private citizens.
Required to manufacture pistol with positive, manually-operated safety devices as determined by BATF standards applying to imported handguns. BATF has repeatedly handed down politically-driven misinterpretations of the "sporting purposes" importation law, to prohibit many semi-auto rifles and handguns.

While I agree with your political sentiments, those have nothing to do with whether the guns are good or not.

But suit yourself & carry one.........................please.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

MM

CONSUMER IMPACT . . .

DEALER IMPACT . . .

Wasn't S&W owned by that British group of investors at the time? Different group that is currently running the company now. Do you feel the same about Ruger? Bill Ruger signed on to that same bunch of BS IIRC.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You ever have trouble with the sights on your Gold Cups? I had a Gold Cup, lost the front sight during a match. At some point in a string of fire it hit eject and disappeared over my shoulder. At another match the hollow roll pin in the rear sight broke. That lets the leg of the sight jack up in the air at about a 30* angle. Aggravating son of a gun.[/quote]
Just saw your post, never had any problems with the sights flying off. But the front sight on the stainless gov. is getting loose.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
You ever have trouble with the sights on your Gold Cups? I had a Gold Cup, lost the front sight during a match. At some point in a string of fire it hit eject and disappeared over my shoulder. At another match the hollow roll pin in the rear sight broke. That lets the leg of the sight jack up in the air at about a 30* angle. Aggravating son of a gun.

Just saw your post, never had any problems with the sights flying off. But the front sight on the stainless gov. is getting loose.
[/quote]

I had the same thing happen to my Gold Cup. Add the fact that my Lwt. Commander outshot it shamelessly, and it was the only lemon Colt I've ever owned. I like Colt, but they are about 30 years behind everyone else's 1911s. Maybe CZ can catch them up, we can only hope. The change to dovetailed front sights is a step in the right direction, and the Elliason sights were always more fragile than a good, low-mounted Bomar. Period, end of story.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC

MM

CONSUMER IMPACT . . .

DEALER IMPACT . . .

Wasn't S&W owned by that British group of investors at the time? Different group that is currently running the company now. Do you feel the same about Ruger? Bill Ruger signed on to that same bunch of BS IIRC.

Whatever S&W did, it didn't keep them off the hot button.

I was at the 2010 ShotShow when BATFE raided and arrested the S&W executives. At the ShotShow... Just to make headlines.

Then come to find out the BATFE used a liar informant, and all charges were dismissed.

"We're the govt. We're here to help."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...cated-fbi-informant-sentenced-to-prison/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.