Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Paddler
Originally Posted by Raeford
Well golly-gee, maybe CG's carry a lower rate due to there being an inherent risk associated with making them?

One doesn't always 'win' with investments, add in the fact that many capital gains are derived from capital investments such as expansions of a company etc[again, risk] and it makes sense to have a lower rate.

As of 2017:

52% of U.S. adults owned stock in 2016. Ownership peaked at 65% in 2007 and fell significantly due to the Great Recession.
As of 2013, the top 1% of households owned 38% of stock market wealth.
As of 2013, the top 10% own 81% of stock wealth, the next 10% (80th to 90th percentile) own 11% and the bottom 80% own 8%.

The Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_inequality_in_the_United_States

You didn't go quite far enough. Now go back and look at the percentage of total income taxes paid by the top 1%. 10% & 20%.

…and the bottom 50%.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Which is an amount that rhymes with hero...

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 09/17/21. Reason: spell check issues

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
In Biden's punish the productive tax plan, he has also addressed "generational wealth" or as we all know it, the death tax. He proposes a 39.6% capital gains rate on inheritance as well.

You have options on how best to leave your children your stuff, but it will take some planning should all this come to be. I am hoping that Manchin has a moment of sanity and votes down all this madness.

Again, all income, including inheritance, should be taxed the same. There is nothing more noble about receiving money through inheritance or through capital gains than earned income. Why should passive income be taxed at a lower rate than earned income? When you think about it, seems to me that those who derive income through their own efforts should be taxed at a lower rate, if anything. Our current tax policy favors the rich and fosters generational income inequality, because of the Golden Rule, ie, "He who has the gold makes the rules."

Again, this is from a guy who's done very well on investments.

Last edited by Paddler; 09/17/21.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
For an average guy like me, money that I invest is left over from what I've managed to save from working. Its already been taxed to hell and back. So, I take it and invest it in something with no guarantee of return and significant risk of loss, and maybe I get lucky and make some gains on it. Explain to me why you're entitled to having some of that money?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He really means it makes the elitist politicians more competitive , not the country

Biden needs to pre suck a bag of dicks. Kingston and Beaver are tired . LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In Biden's punish the productive tax plan, he has also addressed "generational wealth" or as we all know it, the death tax. He proposes a 39.6% capital gains rate on inheritance as well.

You have options on how best to leave your children your stuff, but it will take some planning should all this come to be. I am hoping that Manchin has a moment of sanity and votes down all this madness.

Again, all income, including inheritance, should be taxed the same. There is nothing more noble about receiving money through inheritance or through capital gains than earned income. Why should passive income be taxed at a lower rate than earned income? When you think about it, seems to me that those who derive income through their own efforts should be taxed at a lower rate, if anything. Our current tax policy favors the rich and fosters generational income inequality, because of the Golden Rule, ie, "He who has the gold makes the rules."

Again, this is from a guy who's done very well on investments.

Go drive to the nearest train tracks. Google the schedule on your phone. Sixty seconds before it runs through that particular area put your head on the track and don’t move.

If that won’t work do the same on the interstate in front of the next eighteen wheeler. You’re welcome.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by xxclaro
For an average guy like me, money that I invest is left over from what I've managed to save from working. Its already been taxed to hell and back. So, I take it and invest it in something with no guarantee of return and significant risk of loss, and maybe I get lucky and make some gains on it. Explain to me why you're entitled to having some of that money?

You're taxed only on the capital gains, not the principal. You're not taxed on the gains until you realize them. The gain is, after all, new income to you, so should be taxed. In fact, it is currently. The tax rate varies by income, 0% up to $40,000, 15% from $40,001 to $441,450, and 20% above $441,451. So, given the median household income is ~$67521 in 2020, most people would pay 15% or less on capital gains. Taxing capital gains as regular income would actually lower the tax rate for most households. In fact, doing so wouldn't increase your tax burden until your income exceeds $81,000, and then only a tiny bit.

Right now, wealthy people with incomes derived strictly from capital gains pay a maximum of 20% tax, which is less than the marginal tax rate for those households with incomes of $81,000. Why is that? Because the wealthy have greater influence over tax policy than the working class. This was clearly demonstrated in 2017, when the Republicans and Trump, in addition to giving other tax breaks to the rich, doubled the estate tax exemption to $11.18 million. That benefitted only the top 1%, of course. Not most of 24HCF members.

Don't yell at me, I'm for the little guy, the hard-working everyday wage earner.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Paddler,(Middleton)

Are you an accountant and a doctor? I’d be concentrating on the doctor part being as you have schidt reviews.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
But he's a hit over at the DU.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro

You're taxed only on the capital gains, not the principal. You're not taxed on the gains until you realize them. The gain is, after all, new income to you, so should be taxed. In fact, it is currently. The tax rate varies by income, 0% up to $40,000, 15% from $40,001 to $441,450, and 20% above $441,451. So, given the median household income is ~$67521 in 2020, most people would pay 15% or less on capital gains. Taxing capital gains as regular income would actually lower the tax rate for most households. In fact, doing so wouldn't increase your tax burden until your income exceeds $81,000, and then only a tiny bit.

Right now, wealthy people with incomes derived strictly from capital gains pay a maximum of 20% tax, which is less than the marginal tax rate for those households with incomes of $81,000. Why is that? Because the wealthy have greater influence over tax policy than the working class. This was clearly demonstrated in 2017, when the Republicans and Trump, in addition to giving other tax breaks to the rich, doubled the estate tax exemption to $11.18 million. That benefitted only the top 1%, of course. Not most of 24HCF members.

Don't yell at me, I'm for the little guy, the hard-working everyday wage earner.

You forgot to say that you have done very well on investments.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Paddler,(Middleton)

Are you an accountant and a doctor? I’d be concentrating on the doctor part being as you have schidt reviews.

Was my explanation too complicated? I can try to simplify it if you like. Bottom line, taxing capital gains as regular income is more fair to the average American, the current system was set up by and favors the wealthy. And I'm one of the wealthy, but value fairness.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Paddler,(Middleton)

Was my explanation too complicated? I can try to simplify it if you like. Bottom line, taxing capital gains as regular income is more fair to the average American, the current system was set up by and favors the wealthy. And I'm one of the wealthy, but value fairness.

You are a fool.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Paddler,(Middleton)

Is the purpose of taxes to raise money for the government to spend or is it to punish people who are smart and work hard?

Whenever they lower the capital gains rate, they actually collect more in capital gains taxes. Whenever they raise it, they collect less.

People aren't stupid.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Paddler,(Middleton)

Is the purpose of taxes to raise money for the government to spend or is it to punish people who are smart and work hard?

Whenever they lower the capital gains rate, they actually collect more in capital gains taxes. Whenever they raise it, they collect less.

People aren't stupid.

Your post brings up to subject of tax avoidance. The rich are better at it than the rest of us:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/03/26/wealthy-tax-evasion/

Simplifying our tax code and closing loopholes utilized by those wealthy enough to have tax consultants, lawyers, etc, could lower overall tax rates. The top 1% avoid $175 billion in taxes every year.

Oh, maybe you're referencing the Laffer Curve, which was debunked long ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Piddler,

Before you edited your post, you stated you'd like to pay more taxes.

How do I make a contribution to the U.S. government?

Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States."

This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs.

These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Citizens can make financial donations electronically through pay.gov or in paper form.

At pay.gov, you can contribute online from your bank account (ACH), PayPal, debit or credit card.
You can write a check or money order, payable to the United States Treasury, and in the memo section notate that it's a gift to the United States. Mail your check or money order to the address below.

Gifts to the United States
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Reporting and Analysis Branch 2
P.O. Box 1328
Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328

Any tax-related questions regarding these contributions should be directed to the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040.

I think you are a liar and a fool. A cancelled check would prove one of the statements wrong and the other one correct. Otherwise, I will continue believing both are correct.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Raising Taxes Makes Us More Competitive

According to Joe. It also creates more jobs according to Joe.

Joe & his merry crew of destructionists never have had an original thought...................this is all Obama & Alinsky speak.

Obama & his minions & their keepers are running the country.

MM

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
What I don't understand is why capital gains is taxed at a lower rate than earned income. My investments have made a lot of money over the past year, don't see why those earnings should be taxed at a lower rate than anybody else. Of course, the money won't be taxed until I take it out, but treating capital gains differently adds complexity and generally benefits the rich.

You know why. It’s because income is taxed in real time. Capital gains are taxed years often decades after invested and do not take into account the inflation that has gone up over those decades making the real capital gain much smaller than what it looks like or is taxed at.

I think all income, passive or earned, should be treated the same at the time it's realized. I think the lower rate on capital gains is because the rich make the rules.

It's a rule I hope to cash in on when I retire. Don't mess with my capitol gains. My kids may have to pay it after I die but they did not earn it. It will just be a windfall for them. I only hope the government treats them fair. Which I'm sure they will not.

kwg

Do you refer to your 401k? That’s not subject to capital gains, it was funded with pretax dollars, and subject to regular income tax coming out. Your Roth, on the other hand, funded with post tax dollars is not taxed again.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E

The top federal estate tax is currently 40%, and is applied to the portion of the estate that’s above the $11.7 million threshold. Nobody actually pays that, of course, if you’re leaving > $11.7 million, you’re smart enough to hire a good accountant who will get you enough discounts, and deductions to push your effective rate way down.

Last edited by El_CuCuy; 09/18/21.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by El_CuCuy
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
What I don't understand is why capital gains is taxed at a lower rate than earned income. My investments have made a lot of money over the past year, don't see why those earnings should be taxed at a lower rate than anybody else. Of course, the money won't be taxed until I take it out, but treating capital gains differently adds complexity and generally benefits the rich.

You know why. It’s because income is taxed in real time. Capital gains are taxed years often decades after invested and do not take into account the inflation that has gone up over those decades making the real capital gain much smaller than what it looks like or is taxed at.

I think all income, passive or earned, should be treated the same at the time it's realized. I think the lower rate on capital gains is because the rich make the rules.

It's a rule I hope to cash in on when I retire. Don't mess with my capitol gains. My kids may have to pay it after I die but they did not earn it. It will just be a windfall for them. I only hope the government treats them fair. Which I'm sure they will not.

kwg

Do you refer to your 401k? That’s not subject to capital gains, it was funded with pretax dollars, and subject to regular income tax coming out. Your Roth, on the other hand, funded with post tax dollars is not taxed again.

I have an IRA SEP, 401K and brokerage accounts. The regular stock purchases, which comprise a smaller but still significant portion of my portfolio, will be subject only to capital gains. Most folks own stocks through 401Ks, so are taxed as regular income. Once again, taxing capital gains at a lower rate favors the wealthy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wealthy......thankfully the left has moved the goal posts on that qualifier.

Now all you have to do to be a horrible wealthy person is to be above the poverty line.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (163bc, 257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 30 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,416
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.