Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
North with an army of 2.1 million, south with 800k? Nearly twice as many north lost their life than the south. Is that wrong?

Yankees couldn’t shoot for schitt.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I read somewhere that early in the war, Jefferson Davis was issuing general's rank and command of troops to people in return for favors, rather than giving such rank and command to experienced tacticians. The South should have won the war in a few months. They could easily have taken DC and captured Lincoln at Bull Run, had they had proper folks in command on the ground.

I’m not the historian that some are but I’ve read and seems accurate that Lee was a great defensive mind more so than offensive mind. Maybe he didn’t get big picture guerrilla tactics? If that were the case it would make sense. I read somewhere that he later regretted not turning lose Generals such as Forrester earlier in the war.

From my understanding of Grant he was a mediocre General in the field but realized that the North had the numbers and industrialization so was good with loosing more men in order to grind the South down over time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guerilla wars require the support of the local populace so they can only work within the home territory of the guerilla force. There would have been no point to burning towns and fields of Southerners.

Raiding north of the Mason Dixon would just have amounted to small incursions through a hostile populace by quickly moving forces with little to no logistical support. Local townsfolk would have easily spotted the raiding parties and reported them to the Federal army who could have tracked their movement by telegraph and chased them down with equally mobile cavalry in superior numbers. It would have been a nuisance but with a tactical range only extending into Maryland, lower Pennsylvania and lower Ohio most Northerners wouldn't have been bothered in the least.

Guerilla wars are what you do when you don't have the strength to defeat the enemy in open battle. The Confederate States of America believed, rightly, that they did have the strength to defeat Northern forces in set battles. They just didn't have the production to maintain a protracted war, the latter is of course a real Capt. Obvious observation.

By the time Southern leadership would have concluded that a guerilla style war was the only means of resistance left to them the South was weary of warfare and depleted of treasury. Where would they get their powder and ball without a friendly Russia, China or Pakistan to supply them and provide safe havens? And as has already been stated, the womenfolk would not have been the only folks who wouldn't tolerate a guerilla force in their midst when threatened with the sort of harsh reprisals every invading army has used (sooner or later in one way or another) against a populace where the enemy looks like everyone else.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
with news on horse back?

hell,

nowdays i can tell everbody i had mac 'n cheese with bacon bits

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Guerilla wars require the support of the local populace so they can only work within the home territory of the guerilla force. There would have been no point to burning towns and fields of Southerners.

Raiding north of the Mason Dixon would just have amounted to small incursions through a hostile populace by quickly moving forces with little to no logistical support. Local townsfolk would have easily spotted the raiding parties and reported them to the Federal army who could have tracked their movement by telegraph and chased them down with equally mobile cavalry in superior numbers.

Guerilla wars are what you do when you don't have the strength to defeat the enemy in open battle. The Confederate States of America believed, rightly, that they did have the strength to defeat Northern forces in set battles. They just didn't have the production to maintain a protracted war, the latter is of course a real Capt. Obvious observation. By the time Southern leadership would have concluded that a guerilla style war was the only means of resistance left to them the South was weary of warfare. The womenfolk would not have been the only folks who wouldn't support a guerilla force when threatened with the sort of harsh reprisals every invading army has used (sooner or later in one way or another) against a populace where the enemy looks like everyone else.

I get a lot of what your saying but the South and the outlaws after the war such as the James gang and others along with decades of deep seated hate for the North after to me it seems would have supported 3G warfare aka guerrilla warfare. That both sides of the war looked the same other than accent seems like it would have further lent itself to guerrilla warfare. Would have a KKK type war against the North from the very start while the South was at full strength rather than after the South had been defeated been more effective?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jesse james was from MO?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by SandBilly
North with an army of 2.1 million, south with 800k? Nearly twice as many north lost their life than the south. Is that wrong?

Yankees couldn’t shoot for schitt.

If they only had a 6.5 Creedmoor

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yankees got better and better as time went on. That's why Napoleon advised not to fight the same enemy to often, he will learn you. Notice the plains Indians were getting better at fighting the U.S. Army until Grant and Sheridan decided to wipe them out before eastern politicians became ''woke''. That was beginning to happen. After the costly victory at Little Bighorn and the successful Indian escape the U.S. knew they had to wind up the Indian issue pretty damn quick. Bleeding hearts back east were making noise about ''the poor Indian".

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
jesse james was from MO?

Supposedly

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by copperking81
From what I’ve read most historians believe that the South lacked the industrial centers to win the war despite having better leadership and overall the more committed and talented men. If winning the war was a war of attrition that the South couldn’t win outright. Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive gorilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan?

It seems if the South had fought more of a resistance war using men such as General Forrest as hardline resistance to run spec ops in the against the North while also running raids setting fire to towns and fields in the North from Virginia that they could have made life miserable enough on the North to drag it out and break there will at some point. It worked in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and over most of the the British Empire. It seems that it would have worked for the South. The one thing working against the South would have been the rebel leadership being easy targets due to being obvious fixed target plantation owners but the masses it seems could have blended in as average every day folks just trying to survive while running upsurp wars.

Why? Same reason a protracted insurgency probably wouldn't work today. Soccer moms... or whatever their equivalent was back then.

Soccer moms wouldn't like navigating roadside bombs on the way to yoga and Starbucks.

DESPITE what white American women would have us all believe, they've long since held plenty of power in this country.

Minorities have plenty of power. Playing the victim card is one of there most effective weapons. Around 1861 I doubt that the South was full of soccer mom/Karen’s but maybe I’m wrong.

American women wouldn't tolerate 20 years of war today and I doubt they would have back then.

I get what you’re saying but wouldn’t that go equally for the Northern woman and they would have less to gain other than not being able to mind their own business (see other thread)

How many women did you know who complained about our presence in Iraq or Afghanistan? It's different when it's happening in your backyard.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
jesse james was from MO?

James was on the border. Families and communities were divided. The James’s fought for the South Jesse was to young to go to war but fought with the raiders against the North and ultimately lead to him raiding northern banks. After the war a whole lot of southerns wound up in the West and more than a few gunslingers and outlaws.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Lincloln took over the railroads and could use telegraph to get supplies to his troops in a week or so. The south thought taking over railroads was a violation of property. The south had to run for supplies like food ammunition and clothes . It took a lot of time just to send a message on horseback and then bring it back . I heard this one time and found it reasonable why the north won.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Because they had to import most of their arms,ammo,food.The North was an industrial giant.The North ran an effective blockade.Hard to win against those circumstances.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From what I’ve read most historians believe that the South lacked the industrial centers to win the war despite having better leadership and overall the more committed and talented men. If winning the war was a war of attrition that the South couldn’t win outright. Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive gorilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan?

It seems if the South had fought more of a resistance war using men such as General Forrest as hardline resistance to run spec ops in the against the North while also running raids setting fire to towns and fields in the North from Virginia that they could have made life miserable enough on the North to drag it out and break there will at some point. It worked in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and over most of the the British Empire. It seems that it would have worked for the South. The one thing working against the South would have been the rebel leadership being easy targets due to being obvious fixed target plantation owners but the masses it seems could have blended in as average every day folks just trying to survive while running upsurp wars.

Why? Same reason a protracted insurgency probably wouldn't work today. Soccer moms... or whatever their equivalent was back then.

Soccer moms wouldn't like navigating roadside bombs on the way to yoga and Starbucks.

DESPITE what white American women would have us all believe, they've long since held plenty of power in this country.

Minorities have plenty of power. Playing the victim card is one of there most effective weapons. Around 1861 I doubt that the South was full of soccer mom/Karen’s but maybe I’m wrong.

American women wouldn't tolerate 20 years of war today and I doubt they would have back then.

I get what you’re saying but wouldn’t that go equally for the Northern woman and they would have less to gain other than not being able to mind their own business (see other thread)

How many women did you know who complained about our presence in Iraq or Afghanistan? It's different when it's happening in your backyard.

I get it. The other side to that would have been making hell on the North when they tried to occupy the South similar to the Afghanistan strategy while also raiding the North.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm half being a smart azz... and half not. I don't think a protracted insurgency could work in this country then or now. Our women are not, and have never been, totally subjected like they are in Afghanistan and Iraq. They'd eventually get tired of living the life of an insurgent's wife and start ratting us out, denying sanctuary needed for an insurgency to succeed.

As to the south and the strategy they chose... I’m sure they thought they could lick the north in conventional warfare. They wouldn't have tried if they didn't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm half being a smart azz... and half not. I don't think a protracted insurgency could work in this country then or now. Our women are not, and have never been, totally subjected like they are in Afghanistan and Iraq. They'd eventually get tired of living the life of an insurgent's wife and start ratting us out, denying sanctuary needed for an insurgency to succeed.

As to the south and the strategy they chose... I’m sure they thought they could lick the north in conventional warfare. They wouldn't have tried if they didn't.

Makes sense. The other thing working against the South would have been in place homesteads and farms to be targeted Vs. a Vietnam or Afghanistan which was mostly modern day nomads or pheasants that were harder to target.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hastings
Didn't the Yankees have a lot to do with it?

That’s what Pickett thought, but of course you knew that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think the South did fight gorilla warfare along the Mississippi. It nearly drove Sherman mad. There was plenty of mistakes to go around. Had Lee listened to Longstreet at Gettysburg it might have turned out different. If Pickett had disobeyed Lee's orders and marched into Gettysburg things might've turned out different. There's no use playing the guessing game because it happened the way it did. Chamberlain broke Longstreet's charge by ordering his men to fix bayonets because his men were out of ammo. Pretty gutsy. There was talent on both sides but the North won. Sherman's march to the sea was the last straw. His troupes committed atrocities beyond imagination along the way. The North did have better equipment and the industrial complex the South did not possess.

Truth is generations of good men from both sides died. It was a tragedy of epic proportions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Commandant of the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy
“You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about.
War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors.
You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.”

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by Commandant of the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy
“You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about.
War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors.
You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.”

I don’t think anyone supports slavery but within the context of the times it was a thing over most of the globe. It was wrong but acknowledging slavery is wrong and that the Civil War also started the US down the path of Federal Government overreach are not mutually exclusive. As stated above lots of good people on both sides wound up dead and families torn apart.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

340 members (17Fan, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 42 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,077
Posts18,501,560
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.