Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From what I’ve read most historians believe that the South lacked the industrial centers to win the war despite having better leadership and overall the more committed and talented men. If winning the war was a war of attrition that the South couldn’t win outright. Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive guerrilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan?

It seems if the South had fought more of a resistance war using men such as General Forrest as hardline resistance to run spec ops against the North while also running raids setting fire to towns and fields in the North from Virginia that they could have made life miserable enough on the North to drag it out and break there will at some point. It worked in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and over most of the the British Empire. I think it would have worked for the South. The one thing working against the South would have been the rebel leadership being easy targets due to being obvious fixed target plantation owners but the masses it seems could have blended in as average every day folks just trying to survive while running upsurp wars.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
From what I’ve read most historians believe that the South lacked the industrial centers to win the war despite having better leadership and overall the more committed and talented men. If winning the war was a war of attrition that the South couldn’t win outright. Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive gorilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan?

It seems if the South had fought more of a resistance war using men such as General Forrest as hardline resistance to run spec ops in the against the North while also running raids setting fire to towns and fields in the North from Virginia that they could have made life miserable enough on the North to drag it out and break there will at some point. It worked in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and over most of the the British Empire. It seems that it would have worked for the South. The one thing working against the South would have been the rebel leadership being easy targets due to being obvious fixed target plantation owners but the masses it seems could have blended in as average every day folks just trying to survive while running upsurp wars.

Why? Same reason a protracted insurgency probably wouldn't work today. Soccer moms... or whatever their equivalent was back then.

Soccer moms wouldn't like navigating roadside bombs on the way to yoga and Starbucks.

DESPITE what white American women would have us all believe, they've long since held plenty of power in this country.

Last edited by copperking81; 09/18/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive gorilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan? .

Ever see a bunch of gorillas try to organize a banana eating contest, yet alone an effective defense?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by copperking81
From what I’ve read most historians believe that the South lacked the industrial centers to win the war despite having better leadership and overall the more committed and talented men. If winning the war was a war of attrition that the South couldn’t win outright. Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive gorilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan?

It seems if the South had fought more of a resistance war using men such as General Forrest as hardline resistance to run spec ops in the against the North while also running raids setting fire to towns and fields in the North from Virginia that they could have made life miserable enough on the North to drag it out and break there will at some point. It worked in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and over most of the the British Empire. It seems that it would have worked for the South. The one thing working against the South would have been the rebel leadership being easy targets due to being obvious fixed target plantation owners but the masses it seems could have blended in as average every day folks just trying to survive while running upsurp wars.

Why? Same reason a protracted insurgency probably wouldn't work today. Soccer moms... or whatever their equivalent was back then.

Soccer moms wouldn't like navigating roadside bombs on the way to yoga and Starbucks.

DESPITE what white American women would have us all believe, they've long since held plenty of power in this country.

Minorities have plenty of power. Playing the victim card is one of there most effective weapons. Around 1861 I doubt that the South was full of soccer mom/Karen’s but maybe I’m wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG
Why didn’t the South fight more of a defensive gorilla warfare strategy similar to Afghanistan? .

Ever see a bunch of gorillas try to organize a banana eating contest, yet alone an effective defense?

Glad to see you kicked Covids azz but not following

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Just ragging onya for spelling guerrilla differently. Please carry on.

Last edited by RufusG; 09/18/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’m not a Civil War historian by any means but as someone with a layman’s interest it seems the South made a mistake in choosing to fight the North even up when a protracted guerrilla warfare strategy would have been more effective.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Just ragging onya for spelling guerrilla differently. Please carry on.

My mistake edit to guerrilla

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Minorities have plenty of power. Playing the victim card is one of there most effective weapons. Around 1861 I doubt that the South was full of soccer mom/Karen’s but maybe I’m wrong.

American women wouldn't tolerate 20 years of war today and I doubt they would have back then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why did the Confederates lose...?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/the-confederacys-disastrous-guerrilla-war-40690

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

American women wouldn't tolerate 20 years of war today and I doubt they would have back then.

1861-1865.

but ok

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I read somewhere that early in the war, Jefferson Davis was issuing general's rank and command of troops to people in return for favors, rather than giving such rank and command to experienced tacticians. The South should have won the war in a few months. They could easily have taken DC and captured Lincoln at Bull Run, had they had proper folks in command on the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

1861-1865.

but ok

!861-1865 isn't the protracted guerilla tactics being discussed. Those tactics could have easily drug out the fighting much longer.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't the Yankees have a lot to do with it?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

1861-1865.

but ok

OP explicitly asked why the south didn't fight an Afghan insurgency like war. Afghan insurgency: 2001 - 2021.

Try to keep up.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I get what you’re saying but wouldn’t that go equally for the Northern woman and they would have less to gain other than not being able to mind their own business (see other thread)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Didn't the Yankees have a lot to do with it?
lmao

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nah,....The North were just better shots than the South.

Still are.

😂

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Nah,....The North were just better shots than the South.

Still are.

😂

🦫

Hallelujah

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
North with an army of 2.1 million, south with 800k? Nearly twice as many north lost their life than the south. Is that wrong?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.