Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I might add, the Cabela's small units are quite a bit different from the Carnivore. Mine is a size 12, 3/4 horse and I cant bog it down. I have forgotten the exact weight but its all I want to lift up to the counter. No sinew clogs. The meat flows. A trick the Carnivores have that is unlike any other IIRC, is a frozen, removable, reusable neck that straps on the screw housing. I bought an extra. It keeps the meat cold as it heads to the knife and keeps the ground meat coming out cool. Like others have mentioned bigger is better when it comes to neck size. I wish now I had gotten a 1 hp with a size 8 system but the 3/4 is plenty to do 4 to 8 deer a year.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by srwshooter
lem or cabelas are good grinders and you dont need a huge one. ran a lem #5 for 4-5 years and it saw 50-150lb batches 4-5 times a year without any problems

bought a used #8 cabelas and have been using it for a year or so. grinds a little faster and works good.

main thing it sharp blades and cold meat. it also helps to add a little water to your mixes to make it go thru the grinder easier. make sure to tighten the head on any grinder tight, foot pedal is great to have with any grinder.

I did my deer grinding with a LEM #5 for a few years and will again if/when I get back into hunting. Likely the only difference between the models is that with the smaller ones you have to cut the meat into smaller pieces to fit into the shoot. I never ground up whole deer but did shoulders and whatever else I could trim off the carcass. Took me at least as long to clean it up as to do the actual grinding......not long.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Need a better grinder, our old one is getting tired, Also setting up to do all our own butchering, including beef. So who makes a good grinder for doing several deer, a hog or two, and a beef every year?

I can't recommend mine, but I have sampled ground beef, pork, etc from commercial grinders. One thing that was significant is that the courser grinds texture improved the burger/sausage.
Maybe it's just me, but the meat seemed to hold more moisture after cooking for some reason. This also improved flavor. That's been my observation and that of friends too.
Whatever you buy, get a course grind plate with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntingfool270
After buying two I would recommend start by going up one size bigger than you think you need. I process 4-6 deer and antelope a year and usually at 6-10 pigs I have the LEM brand and my dad has the Cabelas brand size 8 both were pretty equal. We used to run both to process our deer or pigs together on the same day but after I bought a bigger one horse power size 22 and it goes faster through meat than the two smaller ones combined with half the clean up time. I had the seal go out on the #8 LEM and their customer service department was very good to deal with. When I bought a bigger one I bought another LEM size 22 but got a refurbished one for a lot less and it has run like a champ for five years now. Big difference in how the bigger size 22 doesn’t bog down on semi frozen meat and the bigger neck makes loading the second grind go faster. This time I also got a separate knife for each grind plate and kept them paired together and it makes a noticeable difference in how long they stayed sharp and doesn’t gum up as fast. Another thing I wish I bought sooner was the foot pedal for the power cord, and the bulk bag and tape dispenser kit for bulk sausage and hamburger it’s so much faster than a vacuum sealer and stays just as fresh for a year in my freezer. The plastic meat lugs LEM sells are great get at least one more than you think you need they are really handy, aren’t that expensive, and make the day go smoother, we use them for a lot of stuff like picking vegetables in the garden too, but if you get a smaller size grinder get the economy or shallower meat lug so it fits under the grinder spout, the heavy duty doesn’t fit under the number 8 LEM I have. I don’t do little batches of grind if we get the grinder out I try to do a few animals at once or call over a buddy or two to get their freezer cleaned out to make it worth the clean up. Made a day of it but the two of us made 70 lbs of antelope and wild hog breakfast sausage, 80 lbs venison and wild hog Italian sausage, and 40 lbs of venison hamburger with 15% hog belly a few Saturdays ago. All got a double grind the size 22 grinder didn’t slow us down it was waiting on me more than the other way around, going up in size on the neck of the grinder makes feeding the second grind in a lot easier big difference in going from an 8 to the 22 not sure if the size bigger 32 would have gone any faster. I don’t think I need to go up to the size 32 and I have no complaints with my LEM grinder but if I were starting over today, for the price I would be tempted to try the big size 32 1.5 hp from meat your maker especially if your going to tackle a whole beef at home!, I have bought a few little things like a bone saw and vacuum bags and the chamber vacuum sealer from meat your maker .com and it’s been working well for over a year, they were helpful on the phone coaching me on how to use the vacuum sealer when I got it.

Think paragraph's.......

I've had a smaller LEM for eons. Has done 2 -5 deer a year without issue. Something with power would be nice but the one I have will do just fine till it dies, or I die. Whichever comes first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bro in law and I both have 3/4 HP #12 Cabelas, from before the Carnivore line, likely 15+ years old. Dad has a 1 HP #22 Cabelas of same style. I'm pretty sure they were made by Weston as somebody else above mentioned. We have not had the issues of clogging/sinew/feeding that others have mentioned.

I typically grind a couple deer a year, and some years throw in a few or 6 antelope, or an elk. Brother in law grinds a lot of deer a year, plus a couple domestic hogs, several antelope and elk a year. Dad does several deer and antelope.

Buying for same purpose now, I"d likely buy LEM, because like said above, Cabelas/BPS suck.

Foot pedal control really helps out. Keeps from running and heating when you're not feeding meat.

A standalone sausage stuffer is a better option for stuffing, but the grinder will work in a pinch.

Poly meat bags and the quick taper are the only way to fly for burger in my opinion.

Meat lugs are great, the more the merrier. I also have bought a bunch of stainless pans for buffets and use the hell out of them, have a variety, shallow, deep, half width, etc.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Cheesy; 09/17/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We use the same one as Cheesy mentions above. Been a very good unit.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No idea, in the current market, sorry !

I inherited this beast & it's fantastic !!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a no name made in china 1hp grinder off of ebay almost 20 yrs ago for $250. I butcher an average of 5 deer a year and sometimes the occasional hog. Its still going strong and never slows down. Buy as much horsepower as you can afford. If I had to do it now with the choices that are out there, I would pay the extra money and get a well known name brand. Something you can easily get parts and accessories for.

Last edited by JimFromTN; 09/17/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We had a Hobart for years, it finally got so much slip from wear that we retired it. Bought a Cabelas 1.5hp #32. It worked ok but had some issues, nothing major. Till one day when we had 5 hogs hung and the ladies downstairs decided they thought the grinder was making a running noise, they took it upon themselves to take it apart and reversed the blade. Didn’t get it tightened back either. As so as they turned it on, the shaft must not have been in alignment as they locked that fooker up tight. I mean virgin prom queen tight. Brother-in-law and I had been at it since before daylight and had the hogs all broken down and sliced and had the lard cooking. We had a few beers in us. After 30-60 mins of gently tapping on it and use every fooking wrench we had, out came the hammers. The shaft never came loose from the head.

We now have a #42 Cabelas, I think it is 1.75hp. It’s a beast. I was going back to Hobart or Biro, but niece worked at Bass Pro and got a 40% discount. Figured we would give it another shot.

CK
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a cabelas carnivore. This will be 5th season with it. Do about 9-10 deer a year. And some odds and ends type stuff. 1/2 horsepower I believe. It’s a beast and hasn’t given any issues at all. Never been bogged or slowed down. Buy a foot pedal. Get some good meat lugs. I would buy it again in a heart beat. If I need a bigger I’ll go commercial though

Just my experience

Just looked. Mine is a 1hp

Last edited by kevinJ; 09/18/21.
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the replies, guys. Our current one has been doing two pigs and several deer a year for several years. It’s a LEM, and has always done the job, but clogs badly with connective tissue and has since new. Hoping to solve that issue now that we need a new one. If a commercial is needed, we can do that, and I was already leaning that way. All ears if LEM makes a grinder that handles connective tissue without clogging. Stopping to clean the grinder slows us down, and I am looking to smooth that portion of the process.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hell .....I have a Sears and Roebuck meat grinder weights about 30 lbs. has a 3" exit tube I'am 66 and remember it when I was a kid on my Grandparent's farm.....I remember doing cows and pigs in the basement every year.....had to go to my Mom's to borrow it finely got it about 10 year ago.....it has been used to process countless deer, bears, cow's, pigs....my Grandparents bought it new in the late 40's according to my Mom.....
When I received it I drained the transmission fluid out and replaced it probably the first time it was ever done also had the plates sharpened.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
but clogs badly with connective tissue and has since new. Hoping to solve that issue now that we need a new one.

Have you sharpened the knife and plate?

Hokey video but it shows the premise.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
This grinder has had the issue since new. And I have tried sharpening the knife and plate just like that. The motor is getting tired so we need a new one. The clogging issue is something we always dealt with, but I would like to avoid it with the next grinder..

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Who is that Bob?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Who is that Bob?

Looks like someone that needlessly sent men to the grinder.... Standing by.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I looked up the battle of Verdun but still can't place him.

I don't recognize the uniform.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Figuring a reputation was at stake! Charge!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Sir Douglas Haig

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1100mag, 67 invisible), 14,724 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,217
Posts18,543,751
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.