Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Please uncle Dan, tell us a story about the olden days.... smile

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, when I was born ships were wood and men were steel. Airplanes had propellers. Then all the sudden the jet age happened. Not much point in goin’ slow doncha know?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I think it was the TR-3 designed to have flip up lights but they were cancelled due to cost issues (aka lucas electrics)

Lucas, aka "Prince of Darkness."

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was between 2 & 9. My best friends dad had one. He later traded for a TR-4, think his was a Spitfire. As I recall, my buddies sister left for college in it. That got her in a clique & she later came home driving her boyfriends Austin Healy 3000 MKIII.

I'll never forget the ride. Top down, 110 MPH, & she reached down & flicked the switch for the electric overdrive & that sweet 6 changing tones.

She was a super hot slender brunette & the Austin was British racing green wit black interior.

Sorry for the rant, but I was 13, a young motorhead, & getting horny. I've never forgotten those times.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

TR 4 A

Have transmission too

Also have doors, hood, deck lid for 62 MGA

Barn finds. Would only useful to true restoration expert, not some oil change jockey

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
About a handful.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old enough to own and drive one daily - in 1967. Red, with overdrive unit controlled by solenoid and dash switch - added an aftermarket hardtop - then added a supercharger. Great car.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
TR4 was a slightly improved later model, but the body style was not as racy. Spitfire was even later - smaller and less powerful car.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Bbl
Originally Posted by crshelton
Looks like my 1958 TR3 that I drove in college. at UT.
Mine was red, my brothers was white, and my best friend had blue, and another friend had a black one. I was once chased by the campus cops on the inner campus drive and eluded pursuit, but naturally, he did ID my license plate.
I had to pay that dang ticket before I could graduate!
And I had a red headed girl friend who was more trouble than the TR3..

Good Times!

R u chietting me? R u da mo fo i almost hit while backing out cause that pos was too low to see in the rear view of my dodge dart over the trunk in a UT parking lot ? wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/19/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Started honking and stopped to cuss me out cause i almost hit that Brit POS?

Then when i got out the dart to come whip your ass you up and hauled ass? 1969, James Street threw the bomb and Nixon proclaimed UT No 1.

Austin turned upside down. My dart had the letters in the back windglass said "THE UNIVERSITY"

Under that it had 15 - 14 = No 1.

Actually, James Street was a heck of an athlete, also being a hell of a great college pitcher. May he RIP.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...terback-james-street-dies-at-65/2895639/

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was at least 10 when these were made and more to the point my first real sportscar was a white '58 TR3A. The 121.5cid engine was bored out to 150cid. SU carbs replaced with Weber sidedrafts. And the suspension beefed up for SCCA. A riot to drive with your elbows almost scrapping the tarmac given those low cut doors.

Loved that thing. Would screw with the neighbors by hand cranking to start the engine in the winter and drive to work with the top down and the tonneau buttoned up over the passenger side. The heater cranked out so I was never uncomfortable in such situations.

Been through numerous sportscars since. Currently have an AP1 S2000 that I acquired new back when. smile

-=[Bob]=-
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Well, when I was born ships were wood and men were steel. Airplanes had propellers. Then all the sudden the jet age happened. Not much point in goin’ slow doncha know?

Thanks...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a '62 TR3B, red with black interior and a '67 TR4A IRS , blue with black and real wire wheels with knock-offs.
Had a chance years ago to buy a set of 6 magnesium alloy wheels ( not aluminum ) from a wrecked Group 44 car for $150... thought about it for an hour or so and by then the owner decided to keep them and put them on a TR4 that he later sold .
One of my cousins has a small mouth Triumph, a TR3 with a Judson supercharger that I can remember before I was old enough for a driver's license 50 years or so ago.

There used to be a guy that had a TR2 in pieces in a shed here in town but he moved away many years ago and I never knew what became of the car.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was 10 or 12. I had a TR2. 52. That heater would not run you out, it had on and off. i could drag my hand on the ground when seated

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Born in 63....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had three TR3s, two 1959s and a 1960. I raced one of the '59s, and the other two were for parts. We did some simple modifications to them to make them go fast and turn better.

We would flip the front control arms over to get just over one degree negative camber and would heat and bend the solid live rear axle housing and get one degree negative on it, also, then we took out the second real leaf springs to lessen roll resistance and add STP to the real lever-type shocks.

I also had an electric overdrive that gave me seven speeds forward...split ratios.

We could also update to the TR3B/TR4 engines that allowed for shaving 120/1000" off the heads for higher compression and installed 40-over sleeves and pistons.

My old '59 Turnip was clocked at 147 mph down the long back straight away at Riverside International Raceway.

Back in the day...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I forgot to add that the original engines were Ferguson tractor engines. I bought a lot of engine parts from a tractor dealer, Vista Equipment, and I saved about 70% from buying the same parts from a Triumph dealer of foreign car parts house.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
I think it was the TR-3 designed to have flip up lights but they were cancelled due to cost issues (aka lucas electrics)

The less electronics on something made by the Limeys, the smarter you are....

The Limeys can reliably wire a lamp.

on the TR#, I was thinking about a 57 or 58.. I started school in Sept 58.....

I liked the TR4A a lot more.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by slumlord

TR 4 A

Have transmission too

Also have doors, hood, deck lid for 62 MGA

Barn finds. Would only useful to true restoration expert, not some oil change jockey

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That hole in the block might present some problems... just a wild ass guess....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Looks to be about a '63? I had a '57 TR-3 and drove a '63 while in the Navy.. If it's indeed that year, I was 15.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,967
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.