Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
It seemed the good guy didn't have a good level of situational awareness....maybe distracted by a smart phone???

A perp in his vehicle, and a getaway/driver sitting right there.....serious red flags. I would have had my weapon out immediately.

It looked to me like lug-wrench kid, wanted dude's backpack, when he advanced on dude, but then changed his mind and ran when he saw the pistol come out.

Getaway driver was a secondary threat that dude seemed to ignore, or be oblivious to.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky that good.

More like little to no situational awareness at all. From what I saw. Most nowadays spend more time looking at or texting on their phone than most of the stuff they do in life.
Amazing how some nowadays ever survived without one.
Especially the Sheeple.

I agree with MM’s old saying he posted.
It sure payed off for the good guy that day.
He’s damn LUCKY he didn’t get his head bashed in.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It seemed the good guy didn't have a good level of situational awareness....maybe distracted by a smart phone???

A perp in his vehicle, and a getaway/driver sitting right there.....serious red flags. I would have had my weapon out immediately.

It looked to me like lug-wrench kid, wanted dude's backpack, when he advanced on dude, but then changed his mind and ran when he saw the pistol come out.

Getaway driver was a secondary threat that dude seemed to ignore, or be oblivious to.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky that good.

I doubt he knew that other person was even there, let alone connected to the primary bad guy.

Yep. That’d be my guess too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
The good guy was really slow on the uptake. This is not a good example of what to do. It is not close to perfect. How any "expert" could characterize that as perfect is beyond me. Luck is not a strategy. BTW, I thought I heard two shots off camera, but Correia did not mention it.
I don't see that he really did anything wrong. While he was approaching its clear he was still evaluating the situation. The good guy is in good physical shape, and he knew he had a lot of maneuvering room. As soon as he realized the other guy was hostile, his hand went into his pocket, and he started putting distance between him and the perp. Then he did everything in his power to avoid having to shoot the perp...again, very smart. Once you pull the trigger, your life changes. Better make sure you really have to. I'd say the good guy did a pretty good job. In the real world, it's never perfect.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Too many typewriter bad asses on here. They talk about shooting someone. Guess they just can't wait. Sometimes that goes bad. Good guy did a good job.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seemed to me that he had too little focus on the 2nd perp/driver, and got way too close to the primary perp.

No. 1 purpose of a firearm in a situation like this is to force the bg to break contact, no?
It eventually happened at least.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Was the pistol cartridge ever mentioned?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ironbender
Was the pistol cartridge ever mentioned?

No, but my sense is it was a pipsqueak, .380 at most.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Of course he did it all wrong. He defeated the perp by luck only. He was packing a pipsqueek 380 and everyone knows when you get shot with a 380, it doesn’t hurt.

Backing away from the perp was so hazardous, he was lucky an alligator hadn’t come into the parking lot where he had just walked and could have tripped him as he backed up.

Approaching your truck with someone in it wouldn’t upset you enough to want to question the perp’s intentions, you would normally pull your gun and start with your 24hourcampfire threats and that alone would scare the bejeebers out of the perp.

Yes, it is too bad the victim wasn’t a member of the Campfire so he could have been perfect in his assessment and performed to the standards that are set here every day.

What a bunch of cowboy clowns, the Campfire never disappoints.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
HitnRun....you pretty much nailed it.

Sure some mistakes were made. Dude is human.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fast moving situation and the victim survived both physically and financially since he didn’t have to shoot. Win Win!

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
HitnRun,

It's constructive criticism/review. Lessons learned.

We are all imperfect, but if we can learn something from someone else's experience, that is a good thing.

Yes, the good guy made a good decision to create distance once he figured out he was in trouble.

Good SA would have let him assess that earlier on, and he could have drawn his weapon, and made verbal contact from a safer distance to begin with.

Parking lots/vehicle entry/exit are some of the most vulnerable and common locations for crime like this. It is a good time to have your head in the game, and be very aware of what is happening around you.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
But yeah, if I confronted a criminal in my vehicle, and he decided to aggressively advance on me with a tire iron in his hand, I would stand my ground and address him as a threat to my life or serious bodily harm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ky221

He is only human if he is alive. And he is lucky that this time he survived. I wonder how the comments here would have ran if the bad guy had bashed the good guys head in with the tire tool? If the video would have shown the good guy laying in a pool of blood with his skull cracked open and the bad guy jumping in that get away vehicle and peeling out of there clean. We all know that everyone here would have gone on about the good guys poor situational awareness and how poorly he reacted and how he was unprepared when his card got pulled. Luck makes for a piss poor partner, next time he might not be so lucky.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MOGC

He is only human if he is alive. And he is lucky that this time he survived. I wonder how the comments here would have ran if the bad guy had bashed the good guys head in with the tire tool? If the video would have shown the good guy laying in a pool of blood with his skull cracked open and the bad guy jumping in that get away vehicle and peeling out of there clean. We all know that everyone here would have gone on about the good guys poor situational awareness and how poorly he reacted and how he was unprepared when his card got pulled. Luck makes for a piss poor partner, next time he might not be so lucky.

I'm sure the good guy has re-played this over and over in his mind. He's surely realized a few things he might have done differently, to give him a better advantage.

He made it through the event with life and limb intact, so that is good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure thing, hopefully so.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

If, if, if... so that’s all you got?

I’m sure you would have cleaned the parking lot with all your expertise.

But the only cleaning you would have gotten done, was to clean the $hit out of your pants when that happened to you.

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Too many fiddle fu-k around instead of shooting and saving the states hundreds of thousands of dollars housing demon seeds that should have been coat hangered at conception.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HitnRun

If, if, if... so that’s all you got?

I’m sure you would have cleaned the parking lot with all your expertise.

But the only cleaning you would have gotten done, was to clean the $hit out of your pants when that happened to you.

If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle. "If" can be a big deal at times and the entire discussion is nothing but about "what if." What an unpleasant obnoxious little prick you must be. Obviously you don't spend time around grown men much or you would learn better manners.
You better get back to Call of Duty sport.

Last edited by MOGC; 09/19/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve been away for a couple of days and see that some counterpoints have been made.

Of course he did it all wrong. He defeated the perp by luck only. He was packing a pipsqueek 380 and everyone knows when you get shot with a 380, it doesn’t hurt.

Backing away from the perp was so hazardous, he was lucky an alligator hadn’t come into the parking lot where he had just walked and could have tripped him as he backed up.

Approaching your truck with someone in it wouldn’t upset you enough to want to question the perp’s intentions, you would normally pull your gun and start with your 24hourcampfire threats and that alone would scare the bejeebers out of the perp.

Yes, it is too bad the victim wasn’t a member of the Campfire so he could have been perfect in his assessment and performed to the standards that are set here every day.

You appear to be skeptical that people can analyze a situation in real time the same as 20/20 hindsight. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people who do it every day in this country.

My biggest problem with the video is not that the good guy was not perfect, but that a self-professed expert proclaimed the performance to be perfect. Some people who don’t know better rely on that kind of stuff. There is a huge difference between being perfect and getting a “win” (which this was) because you managed to survive through some combination of skill and luck.

He was packing a pipsqueek 380 and everyone knows when you get shot with a 380, it doesn’t hurt.

I haven’t seen anyone arguing that point. I’ve seen what .380s do and would never say that. In fact, if I am pulling a pistol out of my front pocket, it is a .380. I do know how to use it.

The ability to draw logical inferences from other people’s actions is a good skill to have, especially considering that criminals may lie when questioned about their intentions. When someone is rummaging around in your vehicle as you approach, one might be able to infer at a level much higher than the reasonable suspicion standard used by police that something criminal is afoot. Of course, other factors that we do not know may have been considered by the good guy and affected his analysis. Were the doors locked? (Locked points toward forcible entry with a tool of some sort.) Was there a deadly weapon or expensive valuables in the vehicle? Is entering a vehicle in that locale a misdemeanor or felony? What are self-defense and citizen’s arrest laws in that locale?

I also do not recall anyone saying that our good guy should have pulled his pistol and made threats just because the person was in the vehicle. One must try to not let being “upset” cloud one’s judgment. That is a heavy lift for some, not for others.

HitnRun,

We are all imperfect, but if we can learn something from someone else's experience, that is a good thing.

Yes, the good guy made a good decision to create distance once he figured out he was in trouble.

Good SA would have let him assess that earlier on, and he could have drawn his weapon, and made verbal contact from a safer distance to begin with.

Parking lots/vehicle entry/exit are some of the most vulnerable and common locations for crime like this. It is a good time to have your head in the game, and be very aware of what is happening around you.

I agree. We all can learn something new every day. It doesn’t have to be self-defense oriented; it could be that tricky situation on the Interstate that we managed to survive. If we fail to analyze, we cannot move forward, and we may not survive the next time. At times there are things that we totally missed that could have killed us without some luck; better put that in the memory bank for next time. There is always room for improvement. In my own case, I beat myself more than anyone else will.

Y’all take care.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I’ve been away for a couple of days and see that some counterpoints have been made.

You appear to be skeptical that people can analyze a situation in real time the same as 20/20 hindsight. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people who do it every day in this country.

My biggest problem with the video is not that the good guy was not perfect, but that a self-professed expert proclaimed the performance to be perfect. Some people who don’t know better rely on that kind of stuff. There is a huge difference between being perfect and getting a “win” (which this was) because you managed to survive through some combination of skill and luck.

He was packing a pipsqueek 380 and everyone knows when you get shot with a 380, it doesn’t hurt.

I haven’t seen anyone arguing that point. I’ve seen what .380s do and would never say that. In fact, if I am pulling a pistol out of my front pocket, it is a .380. I do know how to use it.

The ability to draw logical inferences from other people’s actions is a good skill to have, especially considering that criminals may lie when questioned about their intentions. When someone is rummaging around in your vehicle as you approach, one might be able to infer at level much higher than reasonable suspicion standard used by police that something criminal is afoot. Of course, other factors that we do not know may have been considered by the good guy and affected his analysis. Were the doors locked? (Locked points toward forcible entry with a tool of some sort.) Was there a deadly weapon or expensive valuables in the vehicle? Is entering a vehicle in that locale a misdemeanor or felony? What are self-defense and citizen’s arrest laws in that locale?

I also do not recall anyone saying that our good guy should have pulled his pistol and made threats just because the person was in the vehicle. One must try to not let being “upset” cloud one’s judgment. That is a heavy lift for some, not for others.

HitnRun,

I agree. We all can learn something new every day. It doesn’t have to be self-defense oriented; it could be that tricky situation on the Interstate that we managed to survive. If we fail to analyze, we cannot move forward, and we may not survive the next time. At times there are the things that we totally missed that could have killed us without some luck; better put that in the memory bank for next time. There is always room for improvement. In my own case, I beat myself more than anyone else will.

Y’all take care.

You have convinced yourself. Great analysis for a Campfire wizard. At least you could tell that to some kids on a playground at an elementary school.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 9 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,730
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.