Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I need three binoculars. Immediately, I need to outfit a mule deer hunting party at the end of October, but I anticipate similar hunts every year going forward as well as other outdoor uses (birding, backpacking etc.) We did a mule deer hunt last year with one pair. They were so valuable, I want a pair for everyone. While our rifle and spotting glass is all Swarovski, I'm not willing to spend that much at this time.

The most obvious choice for mid-range glass is Vortex Viper HD 8x42. I could get three of those, but I'm considering other options because they are a bit on the large and heavy side. Besides that, I need to buy a new camera also, so I'd like to save some funds. Some 8x30 or 8x25 could both lighten the load and lower the expense. Also, for one person, myself, I'm not carrying a rifle this year (no tag), so I could actually carry something more substantial (bigger and heavier). Conceding some bulk and weight but without adding a lot of expense, I think porro prism binoculars like those from Steiner can deliver a lot of performance.

So I'm considering:

Vortex Viper HD 8x42

Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 -- a step down in bulk and weight for people already carrying a lot of other stuff

Steiner 8x56 ? -- there's no question these will deliver low-light performance that even Alpha glass cannot rival at a fraction of the expense but also with a lot of bulk and weight. I'm looking to make a tradeoff like that since I won't be carrying a rifle. Low-light performance is a benefit that seems affordable with this tradeoff. Edge-to-edge sharpness or flatness of the field is a benefit that's harder to acquire without shelling out thousands of dollars, as is a very wide field of view at higher power. Even so, I'm not convinced the low-light performance will make a difference for mule deer. Last year I spotted a few bucks at dawn (one even before legal hours) but there was no shortage of bucks in broad daylight. The Shadowquest would be valuable for predator hunting, but I'd probably find them too heavy to carry most of the time. I do sometimes still-hunt, but I never stand hunt. I'm in the west and I never hunt whitetail.

I'm not so much looking to compare brands. If you recommend a different brand in the same category, sure let me know. I'm more interested in advice on the benefits of something I'm not considering yet.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Burris Signature HD binoculars are among the best values I've seen in the past 2-3 years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Burris Signature HD binoculars are among the best values I've seen in the past 2-3 years.

This! I had one in a 10x42 and I cannot imagine you can beat them for the price. And they are pretty light compared to alot of others in the same magnification.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Heard great things about those Burris that MD recs, so I'd check those out. Also, the Athlon Midas is really, really good but is Chinese if that matters, just like the Vipers.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
A few for consideration:

Carson 3D w/ED glass
Vanguard Endeavor ED or EDII
Athlon Midas
Maven C1
Celestron Trailseeker ED

I have not personally looked through the Trailseeker ED, but the previous(non ED) model was quite good.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Picked up Leupy BX-4 10x50 on eBay for a song. They’ve been great in low light and weight isn’t an issue

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
I need three binoculars. Immediately, I need to outfit a mule deer hunting party at the end of October, but I anticipate similar hunts every year going forward as well as other outdoor uses (birding, backpacking etc.) We did a mule deer hunt last year with one pair. They were so valuable, I want a pair for everyone. While our rifle and spotting glass is all Swarovski, I'm not willing to spend that much at this time.

The most obvious choice for mid-range glass is Vortex Viper HD 8x42. I could get three of those, but I'm considering other options because they are a bit on the large and heavy side. Besides that, I need to buy a new camera also, so I'd like to save some funds. Some 8x30 or 8x25 could both lighten the load and lower the expense. Also, for one person, myself, I'm not carrying a rifle this year (no tag), so I could actually carry something more substantial (bigger and heavier). Conceding some bulk and weight but without adding a lot of expense, I think porro prism binoculars like those from Steiner can deliver a lot of performance.

So I'm considering:

Vortex Viper HD 8x42

Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 -- a step down in bulk and weight for people already carrying a lot of other stuff

Steiner 8x56 ? -- there's no question these will deliver low-light performance that even Alpha glass cannot rival at a fraction of the expense but also with a lot of bulk and weight. I'm looking to make a tradeoff like that since I won't be carrying a rifle. Low-light performance is a benefit that seems affordable with this tradeoff. Edge-to-edge sharpness or flatness of the field is a benefit that's harder to acquire without shelling out thousands of dollars, as is a very wide field of view at higher power. Even so, I'm not convinced the low-light performance will make a difference for mule deer. Last year I spotted a few bucks at dawn (one even before legal hours) but there was no shortage of bucks in broad daylight. The Shadowquest would be valuable for predator hunting, but I'd probably find them too heavy to carry most of the time. I do sometimes still-hunt, but I never stand hunt. I'm in the west and I never hunt whitetail.

I'm not so much looking to compare brands. If you recommend a different brand in the same category, sure let me know. I'm more interested in advice on the benefits of something I'm not considering yet.

If you have the time to give us a call, 516-217-1000, it would be our pleasure to assist you.

Great, inexpensive options include, but are not limited to:

Steiner Predator AF 8x30

Athlon Ares 8x42

Kowa SV 8x32 or SV 8x42

Meopta Optika 8x42

Of course we can assist with the camera as well

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dakotagun
A few for consideration:

Carson 3D w/ED glass
Vanguard Endeavor ED or EDII
Athlon Midas
Maven C1
Celestron Trailseeker ED

I have not personally looked through the Trailseeker ED, but the previous(non ED) model was quite good.

Pretty good list there. I think the Celestrons offer a lot.for the money. I would LOVE those Burris Muledeer mentions. . Wish they would make a smaller lower mag version.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd second the Steiner Predators listed above. I've had a pair for some time that I use for back ups/loaners/truck/knock around, and I am impressed with the image for what I paid everytime I look through them. I really can't tell a ton of difference between them and a pair of 15 yo or so higher end Ziess's that are my primary pair.

Another relatively inexpensive pair of binoculars that have served me well through heavy use are a pair of Bushnell's that were in the $300 range. Surprisingly good glass, and they've been bouncing around under the console of my walleye rig for around 8 years. Hitting waves plus the high humidity of the great lakes environment has caused failures in other binos, but the Bushnell's have been solid. I've also loaned them out to guys for western hunts, and I've always gotten great feedback on them.

Last edited by Starbuck; 09/20/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I found 12x Bushnell Rangefinder on sale at 70+% off.

So I sold a shotgun and bought that binocular. I took it hunting and I don’t think I made a better buy in quite awhile.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Last month a guide was using a pair of new Steiner dog-leg porroprism binos that looked to be 10x42s. But I don't even see such binos on the Steiner site. WTF?

Last edited by Wrapids; 11/02/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Picked up Sig Zulu 3 8x32 and was pleasantly surprised. I think these are a clone of the Sightron Blue Sky. You can get them for about $200. I lucked into a deal for about $150 and will probably by another set if I can find that price again. Very light weight, decent ergonomics and glass seems more than good enough.

Last edited by Slope77; 11/03/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 450yukon, 264mag, 19 invisible), 1,969 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.