Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Gotta laugh at Fanboys and haters.

Almost a comedy act watching them both lie, and twist things!

One point that the Fanboys always make on the outsourced barrel issue.

That they were outsourced.
RUGER DIDNT MAKE THEM!!!

Big deal

And don't blame Wilson.

If you aren't involved in manufacturing, you might not understand.
I work in a place that does outsourcing of varied products, for various
companies and many applications.

Every product comes with a CUSTOMER supplied spec sheet.
They determine the standards across a bunch of topics.
Dimensions, how much solvent is in the material, resin content,
how well it molds......it goes on and on, depending on product.

And that's just the standards.
F'ups are a whole other deal.

We test for everything, and certify.
The customers verify.
If it's bad, it's scrapped or returned.
They get another batch.

Once they use our component.
Most liability is off us. They have verified quality.

See where this is going?

Ruger accepted these things for years.
Bill even covered his bases by statements about
"making hunting guns, not target rifles".
Another poster claims Ruger was happy with his 2" groups.

Why hide this?
It's 100% on Ruger.
THEY SCREWED THE POOCH!

It's old news, they fixed that issue.
Good in them. Finally.

Glad you were entertained...thanks for sharing your wisdom

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I don't think I've ever seen someone lead off the praise of a place with the words "Great restroom" This is for sure a laugh for the day!

And for what it's worth, when I came to live in Alaska over 20 years ago the two rifles that ruled the roost where Rugers and New Haven Model 70s, with a noticeably greater number of M77s represented since they were cheaper. Rugged, trustworthy rifles.

Trucking, it's led me to become a bit of restroom aficionado! LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most accurate 77 that I have had was a 280 bought new in about 1978. It was a heavy barrel model. It was the most accurate 280 I've ever owned.
I keep hoping that I'll find another good shooting 77 like that 280. I am now down to two 77's, a 7mm RM tanger that shoots OK with selected loads after I re-stocked it with a B&C stock. The other is a Hawkeye 22-250 that I bought here on the fire. I've worked with both, quite a bit. Let's just say, I prefer 700's.
The last 77 I sold was a 416 Rigby, beautiful rifle, I never scoped it or tried to shoot tiny groups with it. 20 rounds of 400 grain solids and it became "for sale". I never knew what MD was talking about with recoil headaches until that rifle, then I learned it good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I don't think I've ever seen someone lead off the praise of a place with the words "Great restroom" This is for sure a laugh for the day!

And for what it's worth, when I came to live in Alaska over 20 years ago the two rifles that ruled the roost where Rugers and New Haven Model 70s, with a noticeably greater number of M77s represented since they were cheaper. Rugged, trustworthy rifles.

Trucking, it's led me to become a bit of restroom aficionado! LOL

That’s a job which would make you appreciate such things for sure!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I've had rifles with polymer parts break. I've had rifles that were supposedly high quality have poor bluing and corrosion resistance or have bad extractors that broke. And I've had rifles come brand new with feeding problems and stock fitment problems. None of them were ever made by Ruger. You see TONS of M77s from the 70s still in solid shape and shooting great. 50 years from now, how many Savage and Predator and Tikka plastic rifles do you think will still be in action?

I get it. You don't like them and think they're overpriced. That's fine. But for what they actually cost (the only $1300 M77 I've ever seen is the special anniversary whatever model that's been sitting unsold, online, for 2 years), it's a solid, rugged, dependable rifle with all wood and metal parts. If you can't figure out why people keep them and like them, there's not much else we can do for you.

The Tikka beat out the 77 in Canadian military trials.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
I've had rifles with polymer parts break. I've had rifles that were supposedly high quality have poor bluing and corrosion resistance or have bad extractors that broke. And I've had rifles come brand new with feeding problems and stock fitment problems. None of them were ever made by Ruger. You see TONS of M77s from the 70s still in solid shape and shooting great. 50 years from now, how many Savage and Predator and Tikka plastic rifles do you think will still be in action?

I get it. You don't like them and think they're overpriced. That's fine. But for what they actually cost (the only $1300 M77 I've ever seen is the special anniversary whatever model that's been sitting unsold, online, for 2 years), it's a solid, rugged, dependable rifle with all wood and metal parts. If you can't figure out why people keep them and like them, there's not much else we can do for you.

I don't think they actually lost to Tikka, it was more that Ruger wouldn't give the drawings for Colt Canada to build them if they won. IIRC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy gifted me two Douglas barreled factory Rugers. One was a sporter barreled 22-250 and the other a varmint barreled 220 swift. Both exceedingly accurate with 55 grain ballistic tips. I dropped the 22-250 into a clearance McMillan I snagged one year and bedded the lug. Still shoots great and keeps my factory stock intact. Didn't read the whole thread but I have had good luck with Ruger 77 rifles over the years.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Originally Posted by BWalker

I don't think they actually lost to Tikka, it was more that Ruger wouldn't give the drawings for Colt Canada to build them if they won. IIRC

There was a member here that had the results of the test. Sorry I can't recall his handle. Those results suggested the Tikka was more reliable in adverse conditions.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only tanger I have at the moment is a sporter .22-250 I bought used from a little gun shop in Canton Texas back in the early 90s. It was beat up then. I beat it up worse. I finally had it refinished a few years back after my wife claimed it as her own. Shoots decent but shot "decenter" after a bedding and trigger job. Shoots most anything close to an inch +/- and the loads it likes will easily run sub MOA. Certainly good enough for a sporter weight predator calling rifle. It developed an ejection issue a few years back because the extractor was dropping the case too soon. If you ran it fast it would spit out the cases most of the time but sometimes not. If you ran it slow it would almost always drop them. Took it to a local guy that did a nice job tweaking the extractor and it runs great again.

My Mark IIs have all been very reliable and most have shot somewhere between damn fine and good enough. Kinda matches my experience with MOST other factory rifles with a few notable exceptions.

So far my son and I have both bloodied are stainless Mark IIs this season already. I am kinda slutty though and plan to hunt with Model 70s, 700s and 77s this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found a Hawkeye in satin blue and synthetic stocked in 308 Win, for $929 CAN ($727.31 USD). With the exchange rate being what it is and current shortages, decided to jump on it, in all its blocky, rectangular, investment cast glory.

Doubt I'll care much if it aint the smoothest and the trigger is not a Jewell, when I actually hunt with it. Just want a rifle I can take out no matter where or when, that feels sturdier than an American, Savage etc. Think it'll do just fine. We'll see when it arrives.

Last edited by Igloo; 09/22/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever the 77 is or isn't if society were to collapse and force me off grid I would reach right past every lever action I own and grab my Hawkeye 30-06. I view it as the most bombproof rifle I own

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
Whatever the 77 is or isn't if society were to collapse and force me off grid I would reach right past every lever action I own and grab my Hawkeye 30-06. I view it as the most bombproof rifle I own

Totally agree in principle.

I don't own a single Lever Action cf rifle but in that^^^^ situation I would reach past every PUMP and grab 2 B As.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/23/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This thread really has brought out the M77 sellers. Within the past week the famous gun auction site has has a lot of M77’s hit the block. Quite a few ultra lites.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
B W said,

"There was a member here that had the results of the test. Sorry I can't recall his handle. Those results suggested the Tikka was more reliable in adverse conditions".

Yes sir, I remember reading that as well. Living & hunting in the South, that Canadian test didn't influence me tho.
However IF it performed that well in that cold and snow etc.... it would work here in the heat/humidity,

Guys, I'm not poo pooing Rugers !! I have had many rifles & handguns with no complaints other than bulk & weight.

In 2003 when I chose Tikka T 3 Lite..... I have never looked back. No Regerts! lol

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
No Regerts

spelt 'ruger' wrong....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B W said,

"There was a member here that had the results of the test. Sorry I can't recall his handle. Those results suggested the Tikka was more reliable in adverse conditions".

Yes sir, I remember reading that as well. Living & hunting in the South, that Canadian test didn't influence me tho.
However IF it performed that well in that cold and snow etc.... it would work here in the heat/humidity,

Guys, I'm not poo pooing Rugers !! I have had many rifles & handguns with no complaints other than bulk & weight.

In 2003 when I chose Tikka T 3 Lite..... I have never looked back. No Regerts! lol

Jerry

Jerry,

I've taken a spin around the interweb (admittedly very short) but couldn't find anything official on the results of the test. Hopefully I can find something! This fellow seems to say that Ruger won the actual testing protocol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWad_jOVfls

Course he could be wrong! Theres sure nothing that looks weak about a Tikka!

But I really hope I find more

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
No Regerts

spelt 'ruger' wrong....

Weren't Roogers dummy!

regerts = regrets

jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Igloo
B W said,

Jerry

Jerry,

I've taken a spin around the interweb (admittedly very short) but couldn't find anything official on the results of the test. Hopefully I can find something! This fellow seems to say that Ruger won the actual testing protocol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWad_jOVfls

Course he could be wrong! Theres sure nothing that looks weak about a Tikka!

But I really hope I find more

I know I couldn't find it. I don't have that much time. But I do remember the article and they chose Tikka.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh wow, first a brass mallet/crooked receivers, now the "Canadian Ranger” Tikka. Going out on a limb there Bwalker.......

I could care less what a bunch of overweight, weekend warrior reservists think a cold weather rifle should be. They are overly hyped, overly heavy, overpriced, etc.

I put in 8 years up here in Alaska in the Army training in the cold. Did the mountaineering, and the cold weather course at the black rapids northern warfare training center.

Nowadays, I hunt caribou by freight dog team in 30-40 below zero:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13302195/3-caribou-by-dog-team

No joy riding on a silly snowmachine. Anyhoo........I choose the Ruger 338 RCM carbine as my winter carbine.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 09/23/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Oh wow, first a brass mallet/crooked receivers, now the "Canadian Ranger” Tikka. Going out on a limb there Bwalker.......

I could care less what a bunch of overweight, weekend warrior reservists think a cold weather rifle should be.

** -> They are overly hyped, overly heavy, overpriced, _<<** etc.

I put in 8 years up here in Alaska in the Army training in the cold. Did the mountaineering, and the cold weather course at the black rapids northern warfare training center.

Nowadays, I hunt caribou by freight dog team in 30-40 below zero:

** -> " They are overly hyped, overly heavy, overpriced, " _<<** etc.

HUH ? My T3 Lite 270 & T3X Lite 7 RM are by far lighter than any Ruger I've held EXCEPT the 77 UL.

Are far as price ??? where are you pricing them? Oh yeah you can buy the 'bargain' rifles cheaper but......

I could add more but ........................ Accuracy... bar none.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.