Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This video may have some relevance to this thread. Some....perhaps...

A shooter tests penetration of 4 various Remington or Winchester factory loaded cartridges into 10 lined-up 1 gallon water jugs.

30-30 170 grain Remington Core:Lokt
308 Win 180 grain Winchester Power Point
30-06 180 grain |Win Power Point
300 Win Mag 180 grain Power Point

Which one had the most penetration? ( = "best blood trail"?).

Guess before you watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzKM8VSRqc

ps: I edited this post late for the 30-30 being a Rem Core-Lokt, not a Win Power Point.

Last edited by buttstock; 10/02/21.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by buttstock
This video may have some relevance to this thread. Some....perhaps...

A shooter tests penetration of 4 various Winchester factory loaded cartridges into 10 lined-up 1 gallon water jugs.

30-30 170 grain Power Point
308 Win 180 grain Winchester Power Point
30-06 180 grain |Win Power Point
300 Win Mag 180 grain Power Point

Which one had the most penetration? ( = "best blood trail"?).

Guess before you watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzKM8VSRqc

SIZE of the exit hole matters for a blood trail.

Penetration ain't all that iffn you don't have expansion

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The video was fun to watch, thank you!

Those old Round Nose Core Lokts at moderate speeds were a hell of a bullet.

To make the results comparable all cartridges should have been loaded with the same bullet though the results would have been the same, with the slowest providing the less penetration and the least expansion.

The 300 WinMag, at least at such a short distance and hi impact speed has too much splashing effect for my taste.

Alvaro

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Igloo
Afternoon all,

Figured I would ask here since a lot of you folks have actually laid down big game with the 6.5mm cartridges of all sorts and it will generate something besides "I heard", "I read" and "everyone knows" which....ain't worth much.

Have you ever noticed a difference in blood trail between the 6.5mm cartridges and 30 cal cartridges? Specifically 6.5x55 Swede and 308/30-06 with things like bullet selection being equal?

I know if you put either in the right place, nothing will ever know the difference. But my only 6.5mm kill was a good sized Quebec doe with a 120mm ballistic tip and a case of H1000 (was what I had at the time) put through the shoulder from broadside. That deer was down on the ground within sight of the shot and before you could say "boo" but the bullet did not exit. Heck of a lot of damage inside it though, no wonder it was dead so riki tik.

So, for you guys who do it a lot....if it ever didn't go so well and it came down to tracking...do 30 cal holes leak more?

Id lean on two considerations. 1st you said it well. "I know if you put either in the right place, nothing will ever know the difference. "

2nd insure good to great hunting bullet is passing through the vitals & we will enjoy very short blood trails nearly regardless the caliber we will say .24 cal & up for the sake of safety margin. Though some may argue 224 cal & up will do well to great w ideal shot placement.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 10/02/21.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
One Moose, several Elk and a bunch of deer needed no tracking at all when hit with a 6.5 Creedmore or .264 WM all with 140 PP's, 140NP's or 142 ABLR'S anywhere from 50 to 500 or so yds (before rangefinders). The one thing in common were zero marginal hits! One deer just ran 100 yds or so gushing all over the place but totally in sight the entire time. One deer shot at 384 yds with a CM and 143 ELD-X needed another one to stop moving so we could get up the extremely steep hill to him but he was not going anywhere after the first shot. All bullets either exited or were found just under the hide on the off-side. One bull elk took three 165 NP's from my 300 Wea. through the heart area at 175 yds and finally dropped in his tracks but oddly never moved after the first shot. YMMV.

IC B2

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the answers and info, everyone. I appreciate it.

In the end, there was no tracking needed. I never connected with the bigger buck I was after but with time running out I took a spiker. Beats tag soup and he was a hefty one for a spiker, at least. Ended up borrowing a rifle from a friend for it. 30-06, 180 gr Hornady round nose, modest handload of about 2600 fps. Shot hit the junction of neck and shoulder and punched a rib on the way out, recovered it just about to break out of the hide on the far side.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Igloo; 12/17/21.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
never had a blood trail with 6.5's , just started gutting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Very cool... "the deadliest mushroom in the woods!"

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Blood trails are for bad hits or arrows...

yep

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad

It sure lived up to that, Brad! Thank you. Kinda cool that the core is still attached, that one took some abuse.

IC B3

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunscrew

All CNS shots?

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad

It sure lived up to that, Brad! Thank you. Kinda cool that the core is still attached, that one took some abuse.

Originally Posted by Mac284338
One Moose, several Elk and a bunch of deer needed no tracking at all when hit with a 6.5 Creedmore or .264 WM all with 140 PP's, 140NP's or 142 ABLR'S anywhere from 50 to 500 or so yds (before rangefinders). The one thing in common were zero marginal hits! One deer just ran 100 yds or so gushing all over the place but totally in sight the entire time. One deer shot at 384 yds with a CM and 143 ELD-X needed another one to stop moving so we could get up the extremely steep hill to him but he was not going anywhere after the first shot. All bullets either exited or were found just under the hide on the off-side. One bull elk took three 165 NP's from my 300 Wea. through the heart area at 175 yds and finally dropped in his tracks but oddly never moved after the first shot. YMMV.

Mac, that sounds more like a moose than an elk, standing there soaking them up!

How do you guys find the internal damage with the 6.5s on those big critters? Not a whole lot less than the 30 cals?

Last edited by Igloo; 12/17/21.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by gunscrew

Yep, 129 grain Hornandy. I can’t recall where I hit them.

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Those little bullets must pack quite a punch

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by chamois
The video was fun to watch, thank you!

Those old Round Nose Core Lokts at moderate speeds were a hell of a bullet.

To make the results comparable all cartridges should have been loaded with the same bullet though the results would have been the same, with the slowest providing the less penetration and the least expansion.

The 300 WinMag, at least at such a short distance and hi impact speed has too much splashing effect for my taste.

Alvaro

"Splash effect" contributes greatly to killing deer pronto and also to a good blood trail. A fist size hole tends to leak a bit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
. 30-06, 180 gr Hornady round nose, modest handload of about 2600 fps.

I've used that cartridge/load combo a few times, always without complaint, but never managed to catch one. Nice pic of the bullet.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.