Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, Rick!<P>Hey, fellows, we got us a varmint hunting section. Let's get it going.<P>Why would anyone use a hand call when electronics offer so many advantages?<P>Why would anyone go for an electronic call when the hand calls work so effectively?<P>Anyone ever do a comparison of responces using hand vs electronic calls?

Critr
GB1

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
OK, Critr, I'm with ya on this.<P>Here goes:<P>Electronic calls are for amateurs who don't know enough to use a hand call correctly. HAnd calls take skill, art, technique, and brains. Those lacking therein opt for tape recorders.<P>HOw can you tell a real varmint hunter from an amateur? By the type of call he uses. [Linked Image]<P>Yee Haw.<P>elian

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi, elian. Thanks for joining in. But wait a minite! If electronic calls are for amateurs who don't know what they are doing, how does anyone using an electronic ever get ANYTHING? [Linked Image] How about camoflage, scent control, selecting the stand, how long to stay under various conditions, which sound to use, spotting the game before it spooks, and last but not least, being able to get the shot off accurately, and HIT the critter??? [Linked Image]

Critr
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Hey Critr:<P>I thought you were on my team. [Linked Image]<P>Anyway, I didn't say the amateurs didn't get ANYTHING. I just said they were amateurs. [Linked Image]<P>Even rookies get lucky once in a while. Hand callers, now, they got SKILLS!<P>elian

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
elian, just look the other way if I play Devil's Advocate a bit. I have quite a lot I can say, both pro and con about any kind of call you can name. (Actually, I have started writing a book on varmint hunting, and have quite a lengthy dissertation on types of calls. Want me to try to post a chapter?) And yeah, I am on your team! [Linked Image]

Critr
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Critr:<P>I would like to see a chapter on bobcat calling! I wanna get one of those suckers.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Hello Guys,<P>Well when I was introduced into varmint calling with my dad we did not have an electronic caller. Dad used a Lohman call in cotton tail. He used that call with for ten years up in Kayenta Arizona, dad harvested a few bobcats with loads of grey fox and coyotes. All with just a measly 7 dollar call.<P>I played with his call a bit as a kid (10-14yrs old). Then I bought an AP-3 Sceery Jackrabbitt call and practiced with it a bit. Then I started going afield, (I just got my drivers license, 15yrs old). Hunting with dad all those years was sure helpful, even though I did not call much. Also having areas that were pre scouted were I knew predators lived helped put the odds in my favor. <P>The first outing I called in a pup and got him. Continued my outings learning more each time. I recently just got an AP-6 Sceery variable pitch call and its a little harder to use but sounds good. The next call I am going to get is a Woodpecker in distress Haydel carries one. Should work well too.<P>If I had the money for an electronic caller I would probably have one. It would be nice on long stands trying to produce a cat. I really like the thought of having the hands free, ready with the rifle. The ability to sit absolutely still. The ability to be scanning the country for the animal. And oh, yeah not being out of breath after a long sereis. God that can make shooting tuff after blowing hard for a minute straight. Either way they can both be effective.<P>NM Kid<p>[This message has been edited by NM Kid (edited November 29, 2000).]

NM Kid<BR>
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
now don't get me wrong I'm fond of art, and hand calling IS art,I'm also fond of sailboats over powerboats,but must confess to using both on occasion, a wize man (my dad) once told me use what works when it works and something else when it don't. I called in a fox couple of years ago bow hunting for turkey, ya know that's kinda cool,(no electronic calls allowed in this state for turkey)......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to use electronic and mouth blown calls. I try to use a different call every time I hunt a pasture. I don't want the critters to hear the same sounds twice. I have had good luck using a turkey call to bring in coyote and bobcat during the daylight hours. I also have a tape of a litter of house cat kittens that really brings in the bobcats. I took a squeaker out of one of my sons baby toys. It brings in the fox and the call shy coyotes. I have not tried the coyote howlers yet. Any one use these?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well I use both, electronic and hand, dont know if I'm a professional or amateur. However, going over my log books since 1977 when I started keeping track of such things, no longer do, I found that in 1977 me and my partner killed 337 coyote, 15 bobcat, 2 lion and called in several bear, 1978 we did slightly better on the cats and not so good on the coyotes, 1979 was a banner year and we killed close to 400 coyotes, no lions but 32 bobcat. Most of this was done with electronic calls, 85% as a matter of fact, so I guess we are still in the amateur ranks, but I promise to try harder this year.

IC B3

C
CCW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Wow jfp,<P>Those are some numbers. Where do you live?<BR>What do you find are the tapes and calls that work the best for you? Are you still calling that much? I think you passed amature ranks quite a while ago.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Live in the extreme southeastern corner of AZ, dang near on the border. The years that we killed all the coyote/bobcats, etc where the years that fur was fetching top dollar. Don't hunt nearly as often as I use to as the years seem to creep up on you and the mountains seem to grow taller each year. Also, as the kids left home so did the horses, so my means of getting up and down the mtn was my own leg power!!Sure miss them horses. we used mostly the jack and cottontail, but threw in the woodpecker when needed. On occasion we would take a housecat put it in a small rabbit cage and hang the cage in a tree. If you have a real vocal cat after a while you can sure draw in whatever is out there. I guess some people would take exception to that, but we never hurt one of them cats. Most of our hunting was done in AZ but we also hunted Utah and Nevada, and every-now-and-then CA. So far this year: Coyote-10, bobcat-4, MtnLion-0, however, last weekend did cut a big lion track. By the way you have a nice page, could you send me some info on your hunts? <P>

C
CCW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
jpf,<BR>You bet. e-mail me your address at caltaylor3juno.com I'll send you whatever I can.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
D
D
I bought a Stewart caller and have had 'ZERO' luck. Tried it for coyotes & hogs with no takers. Just starting out with this, and will keep trying, but am getting fustrated. According to the brochure, they will stick their noses in the speaker. I haven't even seen a rear end so far...<BR>Den-Den

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
den-den, Someone once said that: "Luck is a matter of preparation meeting opportunity". I assume that you have a fair number of coyotes in the area you are calling in, if not you can call all you want and no coyotes are coming to dinner. I would venture a guess that you have probably called them in but that they saw or winded you before you saw them. I think the biggest "secret" to calling is being persistent. I suggest you start calling softly and gradually increase the volume, if there are coyotes around I have found that they will respond in about 15/20 minutes, cats alot longer. Stay as still as you possibly can. Call and they shall come. Good luck and let us know how you do.

D
D
I think I have no coyotes on my hunting club. In the past there were a good many. I do see some sign, but it was not fresh or much of it. They could be passing through, we have a lot of chicken houses around, and they may be around them. On my first set-up I was in my deer stand (enclosed box stand) and I might have called too loud. A friend of mine who has chicken houses, says he has a lot around his houses. My next set-up will be there. I got the pleading chicken screams for this future hunt. Maybe it will work... I have tried calling hogs at a WMA with zero luck. I know they have a few hogs as I've seen them when I turkey hunt in the spring. But its still fun being outdoors and enjoying nature. The kill is not everything, just icing on the cake...<BR>Den-Den

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I use mouth calls to save weight. I like to leave the pickup and call a large loop,maybe take all day. Electronic calls do offer the advantage of using a sound not common to the area; a taped sound of a yellowhammered woodpecker offers something I can't deliver with my mouth calls. Besides the weight of the electronic callers the batteries go to heck in the cold weather and get to be a real problem. I have used the forerunner of a walkman(little cassette player) as a decoy. It worked great once they got within 75 yards and offered the advantage of a distraction from my position. I think electronics would be greatly improved if remotely controlled. Start out with a mouth call and after a 5 or 10 minute workout switch to a electronic. JMHO

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Modoc Mike,<P>Have you tried Haydel's injured woodpecker ??<P>Sounds GREAT !<P>--Steve

--Steve
B
B
Hate to disagree with you elian BUT , the person I consider the "ultimate coyote hunter" , John Henry ( he is the host of the coyote gods web site ) usually uses a Johnny Stewart electonic call ( he also uses dogs and mouth calls ) . I am by NO MEANS an expert but I have killed quite a few and I use both , depending on what I feel like and what the terrain is like and how far am I gonna be from the truck !!! I think Critr Gitr is just kinda having some fun here as I think he guides for a living , if I remember correctly from some of his posts on other boards ( ?? ) and I belive he uses both . While I do get a little more satisfaction out of callin' them in with a mouth call , I usually don't get to shoot a/c I'm the caller and my calling buddy is the shooter . When you mouth call , they are lookin' right at ya' when they come in so you don't want to be moving around much and it's hard to get set up for a shot . On the other hand , with the Johnny Stewart , I use the long extension cord for the speaker so it's always set up way off to the side and they are looking in that direction and not at me so I get to shoot sometimes too !!! No matter what you use , they are always a worthy competitor and when you get one to come in , it's a great feeling ( and when you kill them , it's even better ) . Now , there is a poster here who is also a real coyote killin' machine and that is the "New Mexico Kid" ( NM Kid ). I have seen some pictures of this young man's accomplishments on some other varmint hunter boards and he is the "real thing" !!! Some people , you don't pay much attention to , but I think he and critr Gitr are worth listening to .<P><P>------------------<BR>

D
D
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WayCool:<BR><B>Modoc Mike,<P>Have you tried Haydel's injured woodpecker ??<P>Sounds GREAT !<P>--Steve</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not yet, but thanks for the tip. I do have Stewarts Squealing Woodpecker, that I have tried with no luck. I'm still trying, and maybe the springtime will be a better time to try calling...<BR>Den-Den

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,456
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.