Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’m retired after 35 years as an engineer. I have a beautiful ranch in eastern wa. But a bit too much to handle in retirement

I’m looking for locals input on the communities or areas. Florida was always in my retirement picture although open to suggestion as to where.

I wanna have access to public hunting lands especially for hogs. Also to be close ( 1 hour ish) to the ocean. A house on a lake would work nicely.

I’ll pay cash for what I buy so I’m not too concerned about little details of the housing. Just the areas hunting landscape flooding and game

Any insight from locals or knowledgeable folks welcome. I have several very good friends in Florida but not in western Florida.

You can PM me as well if you prefer.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Nice to see you back.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well along 30 A there are a metric S**t ton of spring breakers and their families during that time of the year causing rediculous traffic jams, wailing and nashing of teeth for a fisherman/hunter type. Not so much the rest of the year. I'd prolly look north of Rt 10. Marianna, FL is nice but there's a prison nearby. Might also want to look at Alabama, and South Georgia around Bainbridge. Not sure about AL, but both GA and FL are easy taxwise on retirement income.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
North of I-10 on the Alabama line

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Navarre comes to mind. IIRC Florida has no state income tax. Wife and I are strongly considering the Jacksonville area. Selling out in Mooresville, NC soon as we finish a few improvements. Way too crowded after 22 years.

edit: meant Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach, but a little inland.

Last edited by shootem; 09/25/21.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Baldwin County, Alabama

Stockton area.
About an hour from Gulf Shores, close to tons of public land for hogs and it’s good hog hunting, close enough to Mobile, Daphne, and Pensacola, Florida.

If it must be Florida, Pace seems to be a nice area that will meet your needs as well.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Niceville, Florida will put you next to the base land that you can hunt. Really good schools, high property values, and close to beaches too.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Marrianna west to the Alabama line. The best hunting available in Florida imo. Easy to hunt Alabama and Georgia also. Most beautiful beaches in Florida. Great fishing both fresh and salt. A little north or south of I-10 would be my choice. I wouldn’t let the prison be an issue. It actually helps support the area so there’s more amenities. North of I-10 and west of Marrianna gets pretty rural. If you’re used to driving over a half hour to shop or have a choice of restaurants then that’s not a problem.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks folks great feedback

Driving to get anything is normal here so that would not be a change for us. Living on the ranch is far from town.

Keep the info coming I wanna make wise decisions going forward as it will be my last move hopefully

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You'd find a lot to like just north of Navarre, towards Alabama. My brother lives in Navarre and we have a small ranch near Red Level, Al. It takes a bit over an hour to get from the beaches of the gulf to some really nice areas in Southern Alabama.

I can't live in that area cause I hate heat and humidity, but if it doesn't bother you it's hard to beat the area.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anywhere around or on lake Seminole would be my preference.

Life is good live it while you can.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was stationed in Pensacola for 5 years with the USN. I really liked that area. Never tried to hunt hogs there but I took a couple of bucks off public hunting land every year.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am a Florida Native, born and raised. Born down south, raised in JAX (No one local calls it Jacksonville......)
My son is about to relocate to Palm Coast/Daytona area.

Traffic in JAX is a nightmare, though not as bad as ATL.

Mexico beach was mostly leveled in a hurricane (forget which one??) but the is a great place on the Gulf. I'd look further south, say around Steinhatchee, or Cypress Key area.

LOTS of retirement communities popping up down there, but I'm in Savannah, GA and love it. Would move back to Florida to be closer to grand kids but will keep my little slice of heaven in central Georgia to totally unplug.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JJ, good to see you back. What is your appx. budget? Do you need acreage or a lot? What size lake, like big enough to run motorboats in? You have to be very careful with some Florida lakes. Many are very prone to going nearly or completely dry during droughts. Oh, and by western FL do you mean the Panhandle?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/24/21.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking Tallahassee west or maybe steinhatchee or Perry area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JJ nice to see you back on the Fire.
Hey, wishing you all the best on your move. In July me and my wife made our first trip to Florida. We flew into Tampa. We were visiting some friends there. They live in a small community to the North East of Tampa. Tampa was way too busy for me. Where my friends live it was mostly small little ranch type places. We had a nice visit. I could see why a Lot of people like it down there. I did get to see one of those crazy rain storms that put down a lot of water in a short bit of time.
Anyway, wish you all the best on the sale of your place.

I'm sure you'll be blessed in your move.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Subscribed. wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At this point in my life I’ve been blessed with having experienced extraordinary hunting adventures as some here probably know about.

I really enjoy hog hunting and saltwater inshore fishing. I also still teach both commercial and recreational diving.

This trio of interests puts the panhandle on the top of my relocation interests.

Most of these replies match my feelings of the geography and opportunities. If South Georgia or East Alabama ends up being a better option I’m okay with that too.

I’ll be flying out once I narrow down a handful of properties to look at.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Thanks folks great feedback

Driving to get anything is normal here so that would not be a change for us. Living on the ranch is far from town.

Keep the info coming I wanna make wise decisions going forward as it will be my last move hopefully

All well and good now, but not so much later in life when it could be a problem. As we age what was easy today becomes a PIA down the road.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=JJHACK]At this point in my life I’ve been blessed with having experienced extraordinary hunting adventures as some here probably know about.

I really enjoy hog hunting and saltwater inshore fishing. I also still teach both commercial and recreational diving.

This trio of interests puts the panhandle on the top of my relocation interests.

Most of these replies match my feelings of the geography and opportunities. If South Georgia or East Alabama ends up being a better option I’m okay with that too.

I’ll be flying out once I narrow down a handful of properties to look at. [/quoteIf you're thinking cave diving in the Springs, then around the Gainesville Area. Florida has over 1000 named springs, not all caves are dive-able. For hunting, most anywhere you can find land and/or permission or hunt the WMAs there.

Hogs are pretty nomadic and need water,

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 12 invisible), 1,546 guests, and 1,026 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.