24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1646866 09/01/07
OP Offline
Well I just got back from the hunting trip, and man was it a heart thumper of a day.

We started off where we had to park and walk in because of a hard rain last night, the road into the back section was a bog, and would have caused us to get stuck.

Well we started walking out across the mint field that had been cut so the little stubs created noise, and there was no getting around it, so I looked like a robot steppin up then down etc. Well we also had a fog which made seeing kind of hard as well. But finally got some clear up about 1,000 yards into the mint field. I glassed a nice buck far off judging about 500 yards off right at the edge of the timber and mint field feeding.

I started my focus as this was a nice buck from what I could tell even at this distance. As I got closer, up came the bucks head and he was staring right at me, I thought it had been blown and he would be on the run. I was wrong as he put his head back down and continued to feed. I kept telling myself to keep the focus, keep the focus. As I continued a slow step of 1, 2 ,3 then stop.... again and again. He would pop his head up and look again, I froze like a statue, my brother in-law and son stayed back just letting me do my thing.

I closed in with my heart racing and thumping I thought the buck would hear me coming in and closing the gap. I got to within about 50 yards, and the buck lifted his tail letting go his droppings. I'm thinking this is it as a sign he will surely take off. After he finished his business, he turned and just bounded off.

Regardless of the outcome, it felt good as the rush of the hunt. He would have been a very nice buck to have on the wall with what looked like a 30" spread on the inside of his antlers. Massive beams and all, what a rush it was being there to experience this. As I turned to head back to my son and brother in-law a group came bounding into the mint field with another nice buck in the middle of the group. To far to take a shot but at least the deer were on the move.

We moved on as we all enjoyed what we had encountered this morning. After finding a place to set up...

[Linked Image]

.... we waited for more, but only a couple of does and fawns were found on the farm. We did get to see a bald eagle flying close to us, and I looked at my brother in-law and told him that native americans believe when you see one, its going to be a good day. Well we figured that we would return later today, or tomorrow morning to set up and wait and see what presented itself to us.

So my son and I then left the farm, and headed off to my Aunt and Uncles spread up the road. We scouted the whole spread, and not finding any sign, we decided that, a late afternoon hunt would probably be best when the deer come down to go water in the valley.

Well, as we were walking back low and behold a buck jumped up from his bed, and gave me a nice broadside pose. I drew back and let the 100 gr G5 Striker tipped Carbon Express Terminator fly. The arrow found its mark, and I must say I have never arrowed a buck in velvet on the opener of bow season.

[Linked Image]

Counting the points, this deer turned out to be 5 points on one side and 3 points on the other.

I would say, heck you bet it turned out to be a great day!

Last edited by G5Striker; 09/01/07.

"THWACK!!!" The sound that's music to every bowhunters ears.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats! That's great. I consider any buck a trophy when taken with a bow. You had a good hunt, I hope many of us here will be successful this season.

Can't bowhunt myself anymore due to shoulder injury, but maybe someday... With enough rehab...

Regards, Guy

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Nothing gets the blood pumping like a deer within shootin' range....nice job! grin

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice Buck, Congrats

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (3333vl, Al_Nyhus, 7mmStwer, 7887mm08, 35, anothergun, 16 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,040
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.