Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bsa.. targets like penndogs illustrate that perfectly.

Guy is shooting lights out with superb Rifles and all of a sudden a couple of shots drop half an inch and more out.

Not a damn thing to do about it except cuss and swear

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bsa.. targets like penndogs illustrate that perfectly.

Guy is shooting lights out with superb Rifles and all of a sudden a couple of shots drop half an inch and more out.

Not a damn thing to do about it except cuss and swear

Exactly.. I hate those pesky fliers just as much as the next guy.. You know its a flier too. Everything going right, hold is good, trigger is good, breathing is good, then the ammo screws you.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Yep.. and I happen to think very highly of SK standard, especially for the (pre-shortage) price...

You simply have to accept not only will there will be fliers, but they will rear their ugly heads at the least opportune times when the stakes are highest.

And that’s usually when you’re right in the middle of a $hit talking or bragging for rights shoot

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep.. and I happen to think very highly of SK standard, especially for the (pre-shortage) price...

You simply have to accept not only will there will be fliers, but they will rear their ugly heads at the least opportune times when the stakes are highest.

And that’s usually when you’re right in the middle of a $hit talking or bragging for rights shoot

Amen buddy. However, You know, the thing I notice with this shoot in particular is there is more movement from dot to dot, so you have to make sure everything is right with every shot. A single 10 shot group is pretty easy to do when you aren't moving the rifle. Speaking of SK standard:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yet, you haven't seen me post a target with that 10-22. It doesn't do as well as the Savage single shot. I didn't even take the Ruger out last night because I know its just wasting ammo. The Savage turned in another 90, but no need to post that target, since that was my score last time. What these targets focus on is the difference between static and dynamic movement to place the bullet on the paper.. For myself, there is a difference. I don't know if its my eyes, the parallax on my cheap scopes, cheek rest or what? For me, its a challenging shoot. I'm glad there is interest in it as well.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Amen buddy. However, You know, the thing I notice with this shoot in particular is there is more movement from dot to dot, so you have to make sure everything is right with every shot. A single 10 shot group is pretty easy to do when you aren't moving the rifle. Speaking of SK standard:

Yet, you haven't seen me post a target with that 10-22. It doesn't do as well as the Savage single shot. I didn't even take the Ruger out last night because I know its just wasting ammo. The Savage turned in another 90, but no need to post that target, since that was my score last time. What these targets focus on is the difference between static and dynamic movement to place the bullet on the paper.. For myself, there is a difference. I don't know if its my eyes, the parallax on my cheap scopes, cheek rest or what? For me, its a challenging shoot. I'm glad there is interest in it as well.

It’s really funny after all these years of shooting I’ve never done anything like this and while I knew of flyers and lot to lot variation I REALLY saw it when shooting these targets. Maybe because when shooting groups for hunting or silhouette or other matches if I had a nice round little group with a “flyer” I usually just shrugged it off as “my fault” (and I’m sure a LOT were) but with this shoot I tried very hard to duplicate my hold, sight picture, trigger pressure, etc…..shot to shot, but as pointed out, there would be one that you’d just kinda shake your head. Now it’s really got me thinking and my friend has some of the best .22 ammo available so I’m going to have to try and eliminate the flyers😄!! Hopefully I’ll be able to try again real soon!

PennDog

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is .22 mag acceptable. If so I will give it a go this weekend. Other than that the only. 22lr I have scoped is the ol' 702 pinkster.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MPat70
Is .22 mag acceptable. If so I will give it a go this weekend. Other than that the only. 22lr I have scoped is the ol' 702 pinkster.

Sure, you can use a 22 magnum. It's a 22 rimfire, I guess. I'm curious, as the 22wmr is one of my favorites. It will be interesting to see what ammo you choose and which rifle you use. The only 22wmr I have that might compete in this event is my dad's old Mossberg 640kd Chuckster. Good luck with it.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's exactly what I have as well and it's out shoots me. I use it for squirrel head shots.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's exactly what I have as well and it's out shoots me. I use it for squirrel head shots.

Awesome. I'd like to see how yours does.. I have mine set up with irons, so I can't use it as is right now:

Good luck!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sure, you can use a 22 magnum. It's a 22 rimfire, I guess. I'm curious, as the 22wmr is one of my favorites. It will be interesting to see what ammo you choose and which rifle you use. The only 22wmr I have that might compete in this event is my dad's old Mossberg 640kd Chuckster. Good luck with it.

No problem AFAIC, but mebbe divisions would have merit? .17/.22lr/.22 mag?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've discovered several things shooting this time. First, age is for sure a handicap and I'm not worth a damn as a photographer. LOL
I shot this target with a Remington "Custom" 581-541 that I built for Squirrel hunting. It's running my favorite Squirrel scope, a Burris 6X Mini AO with standard duplex crosshairs. I have several of these scopes, one with a fine crosshair and dot, and a couple with fine duplex crosshairs. The standard duplex covered up much of the dot which with my soon to be 70yr. old eyes added to the contest. grin
I may try this again with a different rifle, but here is what I shot so far.
This is an older photo of the rifle with a Leupold on it at that time.

Excuse the mess on the shooting table, it was the only place to store the kitchen flooring which is under the tarp.

Little close view of my make shift 50yd. rimfire range.

and my terrible shakey photo.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by PennDog
Thanks BSA but based on your shooting I had better go find a Savage!!! I do want to get a couple of oldies but goodies out - a Remingston 513s, a Mossberg 42M, a Winchester 75 sporter, a BRNO 1, a Mauser 201 and an Anschutz 1422 (plus a couple of levers that have all been pretty good to me in the squirrel woods).

Thanks for setting this up - I needed some shooting therapy!!
PennDog

Excellent lineup PennDog. The KDF K22 is my most accurate rifle and one I used for a lot of years Squirrel hunting. I built the Rem. 581-541 to try and match the KDF's accuracy, while it does it also cost more dollars than the KDF did new when I bought it. The Mauser 201 I have is very close in accuracy to the KDF, so Mauser did a fair job of continuing the KDF legacy.
I have a Kimber HS I installed in a Varmint stock that I might give a whirl next.
I need to give some of the others a test drive on these targets. Rem. 504, Kimber K22 Classic, some Sako Quads, and a couple of 10-22's need to get aired out.
My rimfire rifle group isn't quite as nice as Penndog's, but they will do.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

No problem AFAIC, but mebbe divisions would have merit? .17/.22lr/.22 mag?

True. The 17HMR may have a distinct advantage in the accuracy department. The 22 magnum, may not. We will see how things turn out. Its nice to see guys just shooting these targets. Honestly, I get very tired of watching guys on youtube that can't shoot for chidt.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by K22
Thanks BSA but based on your shooting I had better go find a Savage!!! I do want to get a couple of oldies but goodies out - a Remingston 513s, a Mossberg 42M, a Winchester 75 sporter, a BRNO 1, a Mauser 201 and an Anschutz 1422 (plus a couple of levers that have all been pretty good to me in the squirrel woods).

PennDog

Excellent lineup PennDog. The KDF K22 is my most accurate rifle and one I used for a lot of years Squirrel hunting. I built the Rem. 581-541 to try and match the KDF's accuracy, while it does it also cost more dollars than the KDF did new when I bought it. The Mauser 201 I have is very close in accuracy to the KDF, so Mauser did a fair job of continuing the KDF legacy.
I have a Kimber HS I installed in a Varmint stock that I might give a whirl next.
I need to give some of the others a test drive on these targets. Rem. 504, Kimber K22 Classic, some Sako Quads, and a couple of 10-22's need to get aired out.

Great shooting K22 and super rifle - perfect for squirrels!! The KDFs are superb and like you my Mauser 201 is/has been extremely accurate. Also have a Kimber HS with a varmint stock that is very accurate 😄!). Will try and get these guns up and running soon - if the weather ever turns cold I may be squirrel hunting though😊).

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 10/02/21.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22

PennDog

Great shooting K22 and super rifle - perfect for squirrels!! The KDFs are superb and like you my Mauser 201 is/has been extremely accurate. Also have a Kimber HS with a varmint stock that is very accurate 😄!). Will try and get these guns up and running soon - if the weather ever turns cold I may be squirrel hunting though😊).

PennDog

Thanks PennDog.
Those Kimber HS's installed in a varmint stock are really nice. After shooting the targets with the Rem., later in the day I tried the Kimber HS with SK Jag. The Kimbers target was very close to the Rem.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
This target was shot with a Kimber HS I installed in a Kimber Varmint stock. As much as I like the HS model, the Varmint stock works much better for me than the stock the HS comes with. The main reason the Varmint stock works better for me is because I would rather set a 22lr. up for Squirrel hunting as opposed to being a dedicated target rifle.
The scope is a Browning manufactured by Bushnell and is actually a pretty decent scope. I usually run a Leupold 6X on this rifle but one day stuck the Browning on it and I haven't switched it back.
I've considered shorting the barrel from 24" to 21" but can't get myself to do since this rifle is out of production.

The bottom right hand shot did not cut the dot, which is easier to see in the second photo. My shooting partner won't let me cheat. He keeps a very watchful eye on me. smile

I should have used the RWS Subs in this rifle also. The SK jag gives me flyers from time to time but shoots smaller groups overall than the RWS if you don't count the occasional flyer.

Last edited by K22; 10/03/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Looks like your shooting partner ate your homework.

Every day’s an adventure.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by 4MERCHP

Looks like your shooting partner ate your homework.

He's very critical.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's some excellent shooting k22. Beautiful rifles too.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
That's some excellent shooting k22. Beautiful rifles too.

Thanks BSA. I didn't score them as I wasn't sure if we were to do it or you were doing it.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, Akhutr, 450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 15 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,526
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.