Home
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Precision rimfire shoot - 09/22/21
I've been thinking about this one for a while. I know some of you guys have some pretty accurate rimfire rifles. I'd like to get an online shoot going that will be fun and will be scored on a point system. Targets are simple and can be found here:

free online targets for this rimfire shoot

The object of the game is to hit the little orange dots. 1 shot per dot. 20 shots for the event. Each shot to hit the dot earns 5 points, for a total of 100 points. 100 being a perfect score. If you break the line of the dot, you still get the point. Place the target at 50 yards from where you will be shooting. Post pictures of your rifle at the bench and the target at 50 yards from the bench and also a good close-up of your target with bullet holes in it. If the target is too easy for some of you, we will move on to a 1/4" dot. Shoot these targets and have some fun. Post your pictures and let know about your rifle. It will be interesting to see what kind of rifles will consistently hit a 1/2" dot at 50 yards and what ammo you use. I plan on going out while the weather is good and do some shooting. I'll post my targets as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for joining in and good luck!!...
Sounds good bsa... might take me a bit to get out but I’ll do it for sure

Always fun and humbling (frustrating)? to shoot for real world results
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
Sounds fun. Is there a deadline?
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Sounds good bsa... might take me a bit to get out but I’ll do it for sure

Always fun and humbling (frustrating)? to shoot for real world results

Sure can be humbling for sure. I hope you join in buddy.. Always a good day when you can get out to the range and do a little shooting.. I was working on some loads for my 7mm08 today, so I figured what the heck. Started raining at the worst possible time though and only got to shoot one target with my single shot Savage. gnoahh asked if there was a deadline. No deadline on this one. You can also post multiple targets. If you shoot one better than your last, post it up. This is all in fun and I'd really like to see how some of your guys' Vudoo's and Coopers shoot. I know one thing, I need to find some really good ammo!! I'll post my target as soon as I can download it from the phone to the computer. My phone is slow sending pics to my email, then I have to add it to my IMGUR account. Good luck guys.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21

Sounds like fun.....however, I think I am too stupid for this, especially after my shooting last Sunday.

I usually shoot at 100 Yds.. I move my shooting bench around so we can mow around it. We are in heavy hardwoods and I keep the bench in

the shade. I have limited shooting lanes because of the trees.

So last Sunday I dragged the bench with my 4 wheeler to where I thought 100 Yds should be.

Shooting a new Stutzen Annie ,.22LR with set triggers and 2 .17 Mach II's. A 1710? Annie and a Miroku 1885.

After burning up a lot of ammo trying to figure out why groups were pretty big ....I taped it out and found out the distance was 365 '

Too stupid for any competition.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
I like. Might take awhile to get to it.
Posted By: jk16 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
I like the idea . It represents practical rimfire accuracy for most folks ,but I would suggest a scoring change that will prevent ever needing to go to quarter inch bulls.

Go to a 200 point match.

0 points for a miss

5 points for any shot touching the bull

10 points for any shot that hits inside the bull and DOES NOT break the outer edge of the bullseye.

Basically- to score 200 points you would have to shoot a 20 shot group measuring .26 " center to center that is PERFECLTY centered inside that bullseye. I doubt that will happen. At 25 yards? Maybe. At 50? no way.

The 10 point shots reward TRULY fine shooting.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
Can I use that target printed as black & white? My color printer is about dry.

How are we gonna keep the Boomers from cheating?👨🏼‍🦳
Posted By: EdM Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
I'll give it a go, maybe tomorrow if things sort right.
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
Fun for sure. Like Digital Dan, it may be awhile before I can do this.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yep, thanks for bringing that up buddy. I was going to suggest the targets on that web site that use the black dots if guys don't like the orange. Or you can print them up in black and white. Your preference. As for cheaters? If guys are that low to cheat on an event like this, they deserve a slow and painful death. Karma usually catches up to those folks. Nuff said.. Good luck buddy. I look forward to seeing what some of your rifles are capable of. I know your 10-22 is a shooter, but I'm also sure you have other rifles that may be better.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
Sounds like fun. Printed out the targets and may get to it this weekend if all goes well....

Bob
Alright, looks like some good guys are wanting to join in on the fun. I was hopeful, and expecting, to see pappy348, EdM, Cert, and DigitalDan wanting to join in. Im sure m1919 and others will want to join in as well. Maybe huntsman too. I'm intrigued by his new rifle. As for the suggestions for a more "precise" shoot, lets just shoot this one a bit and see how we do. Some guys may burn out the center of the dots, if that happens, then we will go to a more precise target and scoring system. As of now though, if you break the dot, it counts as a hit. Kind of like this one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here are some pics from yesterday at the range:
Rifle is a Savage MKI FVT single shot with a cheap (very cheap) Bushnell rimfire 6-18x40 on top. Ammo used was Eley target. The only mods I've done to the rifle was clip the trigger spring to allow for a lighter pull weight and the addition of a Boyds rimfire hunter stock. $162.99 on ebay and the rifle was on clearance for $194. The rifle was originally set up for iron sights, but I pulled them and put the scope on to compete in my clubs know your limits shoots.

Picture of target set out at 50 yards:

Picture of target shot and score of 90. I scratched out 80 because I can't count..:

2 clean misses with one that is questionable, but did break the orange (like a scoring ring) dot. I look forward to seeing some of your rifles and targets. I'm also going to be on the lookout for some better/more consistent shooting ammo... Good luck with your shooting, guys..
Originally Posted by Sheister
Sounds like fun. Printed out the targets and may get to it this weekend if all goes well....

Bob

Awesome Bob. We had a great golf ball shoot last saturday. I also brought up doing a fall turkey shoot before the weather gets too bad. We will also be having a fall rimfire shoot at the club as well. I'll keep you informed on those shoots. I'd like to see you there and invite your buddy that is already a club member. Thanks..
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
Printed up a bunch of targets and will use this to weed out which rifles go squirrel hunting this year! Next step will be figuring out how to post pictures - seems this site doesn’t like my resized photos even though under 2MB??

Anyway it’ll be fun……thanks for initiating!

PennDog

p.s. good shooting bsa1917hunter!
Thanks PennDog. I'd suggest checking out imgur. Set up a free account. It is very easy to use and post pictures here. Good luck with it and finding which rifle you are going to take squirrel hunting. I look forward to seeing some target and rifle pics from the guys interested in this shoot. When I get more time, I'm going to take my 10-22 out. It doesn't shoot as well as my Savage, but it will still be fun..
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/23/21
It’ll be about two weeks- but I’ll put a few targets up.
Originally Posted by robertham1
It’ll be about two weeks- but I’ll put a few targets up.

Awesome buddy. I was hoping you would say that. I better find some better ammo, and quickly!!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yep, thanks for bringing that up buddy. I was going to suggest the targets on that web site that use the black dots if guys don't like the orange. Or you can print them up in black and white. Your preference. As for cheaters? If guys are that low to cheat on an event like this, they deserve a slow and painful death. Karma usually catches up to those folks. Nuff said.. Good luck buddy. I look forward to seeing what some of your rifles are capable of. I know your 10-22 is a shooter, but I'm also sure you have other rifles that may be better.

The Boomer crack is a joke, aimed at the anti-Boomer faction here. I throw in Boomer remarks at every opportunity. My favorite is Boomer-Hoarder, since many seem to blame us for the current shortages. Pay no mind.

I do have one that I’m pretty sure beats the CSC. I tried out some high-class ammo I got on sale in it Tuesday, and after 15 seasoning rounds, I fired what may be the smallest RF group I’ve ever shot. I got a little antsy about the wind after that one and quit for the day. Waiting for a calm day to see if it was a fluke. Hoping for favorable weather next Tuesday so I can give it a try after I shoot some clays.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
I’d probably be labeled as a millennial hoarder, but I blame the boomer hoarders every chance I get.
I’d probably be labeled as a millennial hoarder, but I blame the boomer hoarders every chance I get.

And I'm stuck between you 2 groups.. Damn...

Bsa..
Don’t worry about this guy.. those orange dots might as well be wearing a chastity belt cause he ain’t hittin it

Bsa..
Don’t worry about this guy.. those orange dots might as well be wearing a chastity belt cause he ain’t hittin it

LOL. That was the laugh of the night. Thanks. We both know he's going to do damn well..
Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
I have to laugh at people who call me boomer- I finally figured out they were trying to insult me or hurt my feelers, but I just puff out my chest and own it- big time.... wink it took me a long time to attain boomer status and I'm not giving it up easily....

Bob
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
I'm not sure if I'm a boomer or not, but if I am, I'm not shooting any darn targets with my hoarded ammo. Now if I'm not, I'm in. LOL
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21

As you should. We’re terrible people. Some of us even have pensions….

BTW, the preferred term is Boomer-Hoarder. We’re very close to achieving hate-group status. The SPLC has its eye on us.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
Glad to be a Boomer - the last generation to enjoy the real America. (29cent gas, 50cent .22 ammo, and $5 hookers.)😁
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
Stop hoarding the $5 hookers!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
Boomer hoarder here. I’ve got mine so take that emeffers. 😁
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21

All my hoarding is from my millenial days................
You hoarders pull out some of those bucket o bullets from under your beds and go shoot some of them.. grin
Posted By: EdM Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/24/21
Question from a newbe in this (rabbits and squirrels here) when using the higher quality ammunition like SK and such, all seemingly lubed, should the barrel be clean before proceeding? I have never been one to clean my rimfire barrels much at all.
Ed.. I’m not over the top about cleaning my rimfire barrels but I don’t wholly neglect them either. Every once in a while I will give them a good scrubbing and you would be surprised how much gray comes out

Since you’re starting fresh and the point of this shoot leans towards finer accuracy I would run a brush back and forth several times so you have a clean barrel as a base.

Every bit as important is to shoot 10-20 rounds of your SK to coat/season your bore before you shoot the targets. It does make a difference
Posted By: Jmbrown Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/25/21
I’ll jump in on this shoot. Looks like a lot of fun. If I get time I’ll try to do it this weekend. I’ve got a rifle I think will do pretty well for the job.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/25/21
OK I got out today and took four rifles - 3 which I am pretty familiar with and a newer one that has a few "kinks" I need to address. What I learned though from this experience is ALL my rifle shoot far better than I do! This is much harder than I thought - I do a lot of freehand shooting but not much benchrest stuff and 20-shot groups are not something I have really ever done - so it was very humbling! Also learned wind is not my friend! Anyway the range I used is one on the lease I hunt on, in the woods and it ranges exactly at 50yds

I shot the 40X walnut sporter first with Lapua Mater L.

It did pretty well and the last shot on the bottom right I might have gotten anxious wink and ended up 95.

Next was the newer 40X-KS that I haven't shot much and I need to find an ammo it really likes - I used Wolf Match Extra

Had it's moments - final score 75 (disregard the fact that I can't count - marked 80 on the target!!).

Next rifle was a custom 540X that I picked up (barrel and action) from Spook1 here on the fire that I stocked - still fairly new and it could also likely benefit from better ammo - used SK Standard.

Ended up at 90 here (if you let me count the bottom right one - line licker there grin))

Last rifle was a Cooper 57M - had to use three rounds from a different lot of ammo because I didn't bring enough (I've got a million excuses!!) - also SK Standard

Also a 90

Had a great time and hopefully I can get out and try some more .22s - It will be very beneficial in figuring out ammo lots, sight setting, and general getting to know the rifles.

Awesome shooting penndog!! Some purty rifles too. I was hoping someone would shoot this with some Remington 40's and Coopers. Thanks for posting buddy.. Oh, and I say you got a 90 with your custom 540.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/25/21
Thanks BSA but based on your shooting I had better go find a Savage!!! I do want to get a couple of oldies but goodies out - a Remingston 513s, a Mossberg 42M, a Winchester 75 sporter, a BRNO 1, a Mauser 201 and an Anschutz 1422 (plus a couple of levers that have all been pretty good to me in the squirrel woods).

Thanks for setting this up - I needed some shooting therapy!!
PennDog
Originally Posted by PennDog
Thanks BSA but based on your shooting I had better go find a Savage!!! I do want to get a couple of oldies but goodies out - a Remingston 513s, a Mossberg 42M, a Winchester 75 sporter, a BRNO 1, a Mauser 201 and an Anschutz 1422 (plus a couple of levers that have all been pretty good to me in the squirrel woods).

PennDog

Ha ha. My savage does alright, but it was originally an iron sight target rifle, so I expect it to shoot well:

Here's how it does with its factory irons at 50 yards:
I ran out of Norma match, or I'd be trying it in this event. I'll be on the lookout for some other good ammo to try in this rifle.

Eventually I want to buy a good shooting Cooper like yours. Those are beautiful rifles. Anyone would be proud to own any of the rifles you posted. My savage is ugly, but it does shoot well. ha ha.. I look forward to seeing more rifles and targets from you, if you care to show them. I'm betting they all shoot well. Especially the Mossberg and Anschutz. Again, awesome shooting! Extremely well done. I'm glad you shared with us. Thanks!!
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/26/21
BSA - any rifle that shoots like that is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! I love taking that Mossberg or Norinco JW-15 to shoots (especially when there’ll be a lot of younger shooters) and listen to the snickers and then “woop up” on them with those ugly old guns😁! I’ve spent a life time accumulating.22s that are know to shoot good and try any use them often as I can for squirrels (I like to squirrel hunt more than any other kind of hunting). I will definitely try and get some more shooting in before the weather turns colder and I need to chase those squirrels!

Thanks again,
PennDog
BSA - any rifle that shoots like that is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! I love taking that Mossberg or Norinco JW-15 to shoots (especially when there’ll be a lot of younger shooters) and listen to the snickers and then “woop up” on them with those ugly old guns😁! I’ve spent a life time accumulating.22s that are know to shoot good and try any use them often as I can for squirrels (I like to squirrel hunt more than any other kind of hunting). I will definitely try and get some more shooting in before the weather turns colder and I need to chase those squirrels!

Thanks again,
PennDog

Amen buddy. Keep shooting those beauties like that and the squirrels aren't going to have a chance!!
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/26/21
This looked like a fun challenge. Next weekend is out for any range time so I did a quick install of the DIP rail for the 457 that came in last week. Took a bit to get zero again since I had left the scope on the dialed adjustments for fooling around at 380 yards.
Today was probably the windiest I have had at this range. Its in a bowl and the swirls on the VHS tape flags were interesting to watch.

I definitely learned a lot shooting this 20 at 50 yards. If you pay attention and run when the flag is OK your good. Get distracted and loose your @%%. (Shot #3 on the top row for example). Or get in a groove and think your in the home stretch, (and drop 2 as in row 4)

You could score this as a 70 depending how you see the two that barely touch the orange. But I'm going with 80 for effort in todays wind.
This was a very fun few hours at the range. Thanks BSA for proposing the setup.
I definitely want another crack at this on a calmer day.

CZ 457 MTR
Burris 4.5-14
SK Biathlon 22lr.
Bull Bag
Protector tall ear
Wood blocking.
50 yards.

[Linked Image from bobbutler.zenfolio.com]

Originally Posted by Bob_B257
This looked like a fun challenge. Next weekend is out for any range time so I did a quick install of the DIP rail for the 457 that came in last week. Took a bit to get zero again since I had left the scope on the dialed adjustments for fooling around at 380 yards.
Today was probably the windiest I have had at this range. Its in a bowl and the swirls on the VHS tape flags were interesting to watch.

I definitely learned a lot shooting this 20 at 50 yards. If you pay attention and run when the flag is OK your good. Get distracted and loose your @%%. (Shot #3 on the top row for example). Or get in a groove and think your in the home stretch, (and drop 2 as in row 4)

You could score this as a 70 depending how you see the two that barely touch the orange. But I'm going with 80 for effort in todays wind.
This was a very fun few hours at the range. Thanks BSA for proposing the setup.
I definitely want another crack at this on a calmer day.

CZ 457 MTR
Burris 4.5-14
SK Biathlon 22lr.
Bull Bag
Protector tall ear
Wood blocking.
50 yards.

Cool looking range, nice rifle and good shooting. Thanks for sharing your results and shooting this event. I've never seen any of that biathlon sport SK ammo around here. You are absolutely right, the wind makes this shoot much more challenging. The other night when I was shooting, it was pretty steady at 8 mph. Not enough to move my target stand around, but it was noticeable. What I was more worried about was the sprinkles of rain. It seems like when we have done shoots in the rain at my club, everyone is affected by POI shift. We shot golfballs in the rain last saturday, it affected the hit ratio, especially with the 22lr's. Not so much with my 17HMR for some reason... I'll bet you will be trying this again on a less windy day.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/27/21
How far are you shooting the golfballs??? The range in the pictures has berms at 100 yd increments out to almost 400.
The Biathlon came from Midway. Im not proud of what it cost me but compared to centerfire it was cheep, and available. Im happy to have some to shoot. It did pretty well in the 50 at 200 test run I read, and this CZ likes it.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/27/21
This looks like a good challenge. I'll see if my Ruger Predator Rimfire is up to the challenge.
Penndog beautiful rifles and great looking spot to shoot!

Just glanced real quick at the posts but your targets confirm what we all know to be true..fliers and wind are the devil
Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/27/21
Tried to squeeze this in while checking our rifles for deer season but the wind kicked up and I couldn't shoot a decent group to save my life so I'll put it off until I get back....

Some pretty good targets so far...
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/28/21
Penndog beautiful rifles and great looking spot to shoot!

Just glanced real quick at the posts but your targets confirm what we all know to be true..fliers and wind are the devil

Thanks Certifiable……I learned a bunch from the little time I spent - biggest was I have a bad lot of SK Standard. Have to try again with some more ammo choices and little to no wind!

Look forward to seeing and hearing from the rest of you - just love accurate .22s!!

PennDog
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/28/21
Some excellent shooting fella's. Penndog, I love your rimfire family. Squirrel hunting is my favorite also.
Hoping to get out soon and try my hand, but first I have to see if the print shop can print some of those targets off for me. It may be cheaper just to buy a printer.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/28/21
IIRC, I paid about $120 for my HP laser with a small toner cartridge. Just replaced that with a hi-cap refill. The target printed very nicely on that, using 32-pound paper. The dots came out a nice, dark gray, and the crosshairs should be very visible against them. Inkjets are the gift that keeps on taking, your money. I bought one last year to do some photos and the ink ran out much too quickly IMO.

My car died on me Saturday, on the way home with a deer in the trunk, no less, so I’m not able to play yet. Soon, I hope.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/28/21
Don't have a printer. Or paper. And don't shoot paper anyways. I missed 2 sparrows off the barn ridge yesterday, so went to check zero this morning. I just aim at the carriage bolt heads on higgins 100 yard 4" gong. The RimX 17WSM has done better, but this ain't a cherry-picked group. 8 rounds to include a flyer to the left. Wind was 4 to 6 right to left, so it may not have been ammo or me.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Hunts those peppy 17’s sure like to dig themselves some nice little craters don’t they
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/28/21
What if there is no target left after I shoot it?
Originally Posted by ConradCA

It’s one shot at each of the 20 targets
Posted By: m1919 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by ConradCA

That means you're using to big a boolit
Posted By: m1919 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/29/21

The boys have a rimfire weekend coming up shortly so we can give this a go.

Need to mount a few scopes and we will be set.

Will post up some pics in a couple weeks

I've a feeling this will require seared ahi, carne asada, and ice cold Modelo.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/29/21
Prepping for a Schuetzen match this weekend, this'll take a backseat until at least next week.
Originally Posted by m1919

The boys have a rimfire weekend coming up shortly so we can give this a go.

Need to mount a few scopes and we will be set.

Will post up some pics in a couple weeks

I've a feeling this will require seared ahi, carne asada, and ice cold Modelo.

I look forward to your pics. You always shoot well.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/30/21
Realized I can kill two birds with one stone by hanging this target at the Schuetzen match at 50 yards where nobody shoots, and having my own personal match after the standard 100 yard events are finished. BSA International and Stevens 417 Walnut Hill on tap.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 09/30/21
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Prepping for a Schuetzen match this weekend, this'll take a backseat until at least next week.

We need to try and get together and do it
Originally Posted by Pugs

We need to try and get together and do it

Now you guys are thinking. Good luck with it. Like Cert said, "fliers and wind are the devil"... Very true statement indeed..
Bsa.. targets like penndogs illustrate that perfectly.

Guy is shooting lights out with superb Rifles and all of a sudden a couple of shots drop half an inch and more out.

Not a damn thing to do about it except cuss and swear
Bsa.. targets like penndogs illustrate that perfectly.

Guy is shooting lights out with superb Rifles and all of a sudden a couple of shots drop half an inch and more out.

Not a damn thing to do about it except cuss and swear

Exactly.. I hate those pesky fliers just as much as the next guy.. You know its a flier too. Everything going right, hold is good, trigger is good, breathing is good, then the ammo screws you.
Yep.. and I happen to think very highly of SK standard, especially for the (pre-shortage) price...

You simply have to accept not only will there will be fliers, but they will rear their ugly heads at the least opportune times when the stakes are highest.

And that’s usually when you’re right in the middle of a $hit talking or bragging for rights shoot
Yep.. and I happen to think very highly of SK standard, especially for the (pre-shortage) price...

You simply have to accept not only will there will be fliers, but they will rear their ugly heads at the least opportune times when the stakes are highest.

And that’s usually when you’re right in the middle of a $hit talking or bragging for rights shoot

Amen buddy. However, You know, the thing I notice with this shoot in particular is there is more movement from dot to dot, so you have to make sure everything is right with every shot. A single 10 shot group is pretty easy to do when you aren't moving the rifle. Speaking of SK standard:

Yet, you haven't seen me post a target with that 10-22. It doesn't do as well as the Savage single shot. I didn't even take the Ruger out last night because I know its just wasting ammo. The Savage turned in another 90, but no need to post that target, since that was my score last time. What these targets focus on is the difference between static and dynamic movement to place the bullet on the paper.. For myself, there is a difference. I don't know if its my eyes, the parallax on my cheap scopes, cheek rest or what? For me, its a challenging shoot. I'm glad there is interest in it as well.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/01/21

Amen buddy. However, You know, the thing I notice with this shoot in particular is there is more movement from dot to dot, so you have to make sure everything is right with every shot. A single 10 shot group is pretty easy to do when you aren't moving the rifle. Speaking of SK standard:

Yet, you haven't seen me post a target with that 10-22. It doesn't do as well as the Savage single shot. I didn't even take the Ruger out last night because I know its just wasting ammo. The Savage turned in another 90, but no need to post that target, since that was my score last time. What these targets focus on is the difference between static and dynamic movement to place the bullet on the paper.. For myself, there is a difference. I don't know if its my eyes, the parallax on my cheap scopes, cheek rest or what? For me, its a challenging shoot. I'm glad there is interest in it as well.

It’s really funny after all these years of shooting I’ve never done anything like this and while I knew of flyers and lot to lot variation I REALLY saw it when shooting these targets. Maybe because when shooting groups for hunting or silhouette or other matches if I had a nice round little group with a “flyer” I usually just shrugged it off as “my fault” (and I’m sure a LOT were) but with this shoot I tried very hard to duplicate my hold, sight picture, trigger pressure, etc…..shot to shot, but as pointed out, there would be one that you’d just kinda shake your head. Now it’s really got me thinking and my friend has some of the best .22 ammo available so I’m going to have to try and eliminate the flyers😄!! Hopefully I’ll be able to try again real soon!

PennDog
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/01/21
Is .22 mag acceptable. If so I will give it a go this weekend. Other than that the only. 22lr I have scoped is the ol' 702 pinkster.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Is .22 mag acceptable. If so I will give it a go this weekend. Other than that the only. 22lr I have scoped is the ol' 702 pinkster.

Sure, you can use a 22 magnum. It's a 22 rimfire, I guess. I'm curious, as the 22wmr is one of my favorites. It will be interesting to see what ammo you choose and which rifle you use. The only 22wmr I have that might compete in this event is my dad's old Mossberg 640kd Chuckster. Good luck with it.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/01/21
That's exactly what I have as well and it's out shoots me. I use it for squirrel head shots.
That's exactly what I have as well and it's out shoots me. I use it for squirrel head shots.

Awesome. I'd like to see how yours does.. I have mine set up with irons, so I can't use it as is right now:

Good luck!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/02/21

Sure, you can use a 22 magnum. It's a 22 rimfire, I guess. I'm curious, as the 22wmr is one of my favorites. It will be interesting to see what ammo you choose and which rifle you use. The only 22wmr I have that might compete in this event is my dad's old Mossberg 640kd Chuckster. Good luck with it.

No problem AFAIC, but mebbe divisions would have merit? .17/.22lr/.22 mag?
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/02/21
I've discovered several things shooting this time. First, age is for sure a handicap and I'm not worth a damn as a photographer. LOL
I shot this target with a Remington "Custom" 581-541 that I built for Squirrel hunting. It's running my favorite Squirrel scope, a Burris 6X Mini AO with standard duplex crosshairs. I have several of these scopes, one with a fine crosshair and dot, and a couple with fine duplex crosshairs. The standard duplex covered up much of the dot which with my soon to be 70yr. old eyes added to the contest. grin
I may try this again with a different rifle, but here is what I shot so far.
This is an older photo of the rifle with a Leupold on it at that time.

Excuse the mess on the shooting table, it was the only place to store the kitchen flooring which is under the tarp.

Little close view of my make shift 50yd. rimfire range.

and my terrible shakey photo.
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/02/21

PennDog

Excellent lineup PennDog. The KDF K22 is my most accurate rifle and one I used for a lot of years Squirrel hunting. I built the Rem. 581-541 to try and match the KDF's accuracy, while it does it also cost more dollars than the KDF did new when I bought it. The Mauser 201 I have is very close in accuracy to the KDF, so Mauser did a fair job of continuing the KDF legacy.
I have a Kimber HS I installed in a Varmint stock that I might give a whirl next.
I need to give some of the others a test drive on these targets. Rem. 504, Kimber K22 Classic, some Sako Quads, and a couple of 10-22's need to get aired out.
My rimfire rifle group isn't quite as nice as Penndog's, but they will do.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

No problem AFAIC, but mebbe divisions would have merit? .17/.22lr/.22 mag?

True. The 17HMR may have a distinct advantage in the accuracy department. The 22 magnum, may not. We will see how things turn out. Its nice to see guys just shooting these targets. Honestly, I get very tired of watching guys on youtube that can't shoot for chidt.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by K22

PennDog

Excellent lineup PennDog. The KDF K22 is my most accurate rifle and one I used for a lot of years Squirrel hunting. I built the Rem. 581-541 to try and match the KDF's accuracy, while it does it also cost more dollars than the KDF did new when I bought it. The Mauser 201 I have is very close in accuracy to the KDF, so Mauser did a fair job of continuing the KDF legacy.
I have a Kimber HS I installed in a Varmint stock that I might give a whirl next.
I need to give some of the others a test drive on these targets. Rem. 504, Kimber K22 Classic, some Sako Quads, and a couple of 10-22's need to get aired out.

Great shooting K22 and super rifle - perfect for squirrels!! The KDFs are superb and like you my Mauser 201 is/has been extremely accurate. Also have a Kimber HS with a varmint stock that is very accurate 😄!). Will try and get these guns up and running soon - if the weather ever turns cold I may be squirrel hunting though😊).

PennDog
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by K22

PennDog

Great shooting K22 and super rifle - perfect for squirrels!! The KDFs are superb and like you my Mauser 201 is/has been extremely accurate. Also have a Kimber HS with a varmint stock that is very accurate 😄!). Will try and get these guns up and running soon - if the weather ever turns cold I may be squirrel hunting though😊).

PennDog

Thanks PennDog.
Those Kimber HS's installed in a varmint stock are really nice. After shooting the targets with the Rem., later in the day I tried the Kimber HS with SK Jag. The Kimbers target was very close to the Rem.
This target was shot with a Kimber HS I installed in a Kimber Varmint stock. As much as I like the HS model, the Varmint stock works much better for me than the stock the HS comes with. The main reason the Varmint stock works better for me is because I would rather set a 22lr. up for Squirrel hunting as opposed to being a dedicated target rifle.
The scope is a Browning manufactured by Bushnell and is actually a pretty decent scope. I usually run a Leupold 6X on this rifle but one day stuck the Browning on it and I haven't switched it back.
I've considered shorting the barrel from 24" to 21" but can't get myself to do since this rifle is out of production.

The bottom right hand shot did not cut the dot, which is easier to see in the second photo. My shooting partner won't let me cheat. He keeps a very watchful eye on me. smile

I should have used the RWS Subs in this rifle also. The SK jag gives me flyers from time to time but shoots smaller groups overall than the RWS if you don't count the occasional flyer.

Posted By: Exchipy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21

Looks like your shooting partner ate your homework.
Originally Posted by 4MERCHP

Looks like your shooting partner ate your homework.

He's very critical.
That's some excellent shooting k22. Beautiful rifles too.
That's some excellent shooting k22. Beautiful rifles too.

Thanks BSA. I didn't score them as I wasn't sure if we were to do it or you were doing it.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
Fired my target yesterday, after a grueling day of competition. I said "hang on guys let me bang this target out then we can have some beers!"

Excellent shoot gnoahhh and cool BSA. Thanks for sharing with us. Nicely done!! What ammo did you use? Is that a high power Unertl on top? We have some guys that have those on top of their Winchester model 52's.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
Yes indeed. Gnoahhh, your rifle has me puzzled. What is it?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
1950-vintage BSA Martini International MkI. 20x Lyman Supertargetspot, Eley Tenex, wind 4-8mph from 9 o'clock.

The winning 100 yard score target I fired today. 249x250. (The white 25-ring is 3/4" in diameter. 3/4" group on left, 1/2" group on right when the wind died for a bit.)

My best group in group competition was only .650", for 3rd place. Was beaten by a .561" and a .625". The wind was a little tricky again, and I'm no better at doping the wind than I was last time!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
Thanks for the enlightenment!

I might be jealous. grin
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/03/21
Great shooting K22 and gnoahhh!!….,and gnoahhh am trying to get that Winchester 1885 done so maybe one day I can attend one of these Schuetzen matches!

PennDog
1950-vintage BSA Martini International MkI. 20x Lyman Supertargetspot, Eley Tenex, wind 4-8mph from 9 o'clock.

The winning 100 yard score target I fired today. 249x250. (The white 25-ring is 3/4" in diameter. 3/4" group on left, 1/2" group on right when the wind died for a bit.)

My best group in group competition was only .650", for 3rd place. Was beaten by a .561" and a .625". The wind was a little tricky again, and I'm no better at doping the wind than I was last time!

Excellent shooting buddy. Good scores at 100. We can all learn from that kind of shooting. Nicely done..
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
Great shooting gnoahhh. Very, very impressive. Love the BSA. What year was it made?
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
K22 and Gnoahhh thanks for taking the time to post pictures of some very nice rifles. And the targets look darn fine also.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by K22
Great shooting gnoahhh. Very, very impressive. Love the BSA. What year was it made?

Thanks fellas. It's dirty business but someone has to do it!

Penndog - you have until next spring now to get her cooking. We would love to have you come down. It's a great bunch of guys we shoot with, some of whom come to Maryland from great distances.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by K22

Thanks fellas. It's dirty business but someone has to do it!

Penndog - you have until next spring now to get her cooking. We would love to have you come down. It's a great bunch of guys we shoot with, some of whom come to Maryland from great distances.

That might just give me the impetus I need to finish tha project!
I would love to see some of yours and then others rifles first hand!

PennDog
I just wanted to say thank you to bsa1917 for kicking off this postal match.
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21

Yes, thank you bsa1917. It has inspired me enough that now I'm thinking about dragging out some more rimfire rifles to see how they perform on this target.
It's a good target - small enough to be a real challenge no matter what gun you shoot, and large enough to instill confidence. Good compromise IMO.

"Aim small, miss small"
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
I would give it a whirl, but I knowing my shooting, I'd end up with negative points 😂. None of my rimfire rifles are what I would consider tack drivers, either. Yall are way better shots than I.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by K22

The MK-II BSA Internationals Gary and I shoot were made from 53 - 59 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46389) . I didn't get any pics of my target yesterday but I ended up with a 298 and 8 bulls so maybe a 4th place finish. I was using Lapua Midas + with a Weaver T36 scope.

Gary and I will get together next weekend to shoot some more of the CF rimfire precision as I want to try one with the Martini and one with my Anschutz sillhouette rifle.

My Martini on the range @ Thurmont - The target butts and even the concrete pad were under feet of water three weeks ago in the Monocacy river flood

You get some neat old rifles at Schutzen matches and folks who know every little thing about accuracy.

Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by K22

Yes, thank you bsa1917. It has inspired me enough that now I'm thinking about dragging out some more rimfire rifles to see how they perform on this target.

That's where I'm at - just drug out two "new" ones and that Remington 40X-KS again - figured maybe better ammo would help (it did along with adjusting the torque on the action screws). A friend gave me some high end target ammo and back out to the range I wen (actually a different range as it was raining this morning).

The 40X-KS with Leupold 4.5-14X did much better and used Lapua X-Act ammo (actually in all three guns).

Next was the Kimber HS in added varmint stock with Leupold 6.5-20X EFR

Last today was a custom Winchester 52A with a Redfield 3200 24X scope....it liked the X-Act (as all pretty much did).

The wind was light this morning but did drizzle off and on - need to pick out some more to try - this will be an excellent record for me to keep with each rifle for ammo preferences!

Thanks again bsa1917!,
PennDog
Bingo!

The MK-II BSA Internationals Gary and I shoot were made from 53 - 59 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46389) .

Gary and I will get together next weekend to shoot some more of the CF rimfire precision as I want to try one with the Martini and one with my Anschutz sillouette rifle.

My Martini on the range @ Thurmont - The target butts and even the concrete pad were under feet of water three weeks ago in the Monocacy river flood

Actually mine's a MkI and dates to the first year of manufacture, 1950 (three digit serial number, one of the first ones). MkII's did come out in 1953 and lasted until 1959.

MkI: trigger adjustment screws located inside the trigger group and accessible only by dropping the trigger/bolt group out of the gun. MkII's: the same gun but with trigger adjustment screws accessible from the out side.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/05/21

The MK-II BSA Internationals Gary and I shoot were made from 53 - 59 (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46389) .

Gary and I will get together next weekend to shoot some more of the CF rimfire precision as I want to try one with the Martini and one with my Anschutz sillouette rifle.

Actually mine's a MkI and dates to the first year of manufacture, 1950 (three digit serial number, one of the first ones). MkII's did come out in 1953 and lasted until 1959.

MkI: trigger adjustment screws located inside the trigger group and accessible only by dropping the trigger/bolt group out of the gun. MkII's: the same gun but with trigger adjustment screws accessible from the out side.

Right! I remember troubleshooting mine and yours was a little different.
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by K22

That's where I'm at - just drug out two "new" ones and that Remington 40X-KS again - figured maybe better ammo would help (it did along with adjusting the torque on the action screws). A friend gave me some high end target ammo and back out to the range I wen (actually a different range as it was raining this morning).

The 40X-KS with Leupold 4.5-14X did much better and used Lapua X-Act ammo (actually in all three guns).

Next was the Kimber HS in added varmint stock with Leupold 6.5-20X EFR

Last today was a custom Winchester 52A with a Redfield 3200 24X scope....it liked the X-Act (as all pretty much did).

The wind was light this morning but did drizzle off and on - need to pick out some more to try - this will be an excellent record for me to keep with each rifle for ammo preferences!

Thanks again bsa1917!,
PennDog

Now you've really inspired me PennDog. Time to start digging out the rifle battery. LOL

Excellent shooting and a darn nice looking Win. 52. The wood on your Kimber HS really looks good and it shoots quite well I see. Those Kimber Model K22's not only look great, but shoot as well as they look..........imop of course. grin
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/05/21
Thanks K22 and your right about those Kimber K22 rifles - I had another HS that I sold to a friend of mine and that rifle may have been the most accurate .22 that I have owned - shot a few groups at 50yds that were in the 0.10 range…....although this exercise is “opening” my eyes to the accuracy of some of the rifles I thought were just “OK”?!! Can’t wait to try a few more.

PennDog

p.s. that stock was one of Numrich’s - yours too?
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/05/21
Yes, that is where my stock came from. I have a second varmint stock, like you I had a 2 Kimber HS and sold one of them. The one I sold was slightly more accurate than the one I kept.............so I thought, now I'm not to sure. Since I'm on a Kimber kick I'll give the Classic a spin when the rains quit.
Originally Posted by K22

You guys are very welcome. I want to say thanks to all you guys that have shot this with me. I know there will be more shooters too. You guys have turned in some very impressive targets. Nicely done guys!!
Nothing like dropping the very first shot...
Chopped Remington 40x in a McMillan and 16x SWFA shooting federal UM
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Great shooting Cert!! Glad to see you join in. Nice rifle too. Those remingtons can shoot for sure. Do you think the fist shot was a flier or what? I have a know your limits shoot scheduled for tomorrow, but I don't know If I'm going to go to that or go deer hunting. Ha ha.. These shoots are fun to see how your rifles do with different ammo. Since I'm getting low on my Norma match and SK standard plus, I haven't wanted to shoot my good ammo up. Saving them for a fall turkey shoot my club will be having next month and I use the Eley target for the know your limits shoots. I may burn up 100 rounds of those tomorrow. Last time I had 14 matches. These targets are great training for that type of an event.
Vudoo with Bushnell DMR shooting lapua master L

BSA.. yeah man that first shot was a kick in the babymaker..
I was holding dead on after sighting in the 40x with the same box.. and boom it drops the first one almost an inch

What are you gonna do..🤷🏻‍♂️
BSA.. yeah man that first shot was a kick in the babymaker..
I was holding dead on after sighting in the 40x with the same box.. and boom it drops the first one almost an inch

What are you gonna do..🤷🏻‍♂️

I know what I do. Say FU CK!!! HA HA.. Or a few other choice words.. You did well though.. Thanks for posting how your vudoo does too. I've been itching to see how they shoot. No surprises there. Great job buddy!!
Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/08/21
I finally had a relatively calm morning to shoot a couple of targets, it was drizzling so I didn't shoot from my benchrest I just used my portable bench set-up and shot from the deck. The target is a lasered 50 yds.

Certifiable - I feel your pain on the dropped shot. I was moving right along and feeling good about the SK target and as I was moving on to the 4th dot I got heavy on the trigger before the crosshairs were even in the dot - OOPS!!!

These targets do give a good illustration of the difference between inexpensive ammo and mid-grade ammo. I have used up my high-end match ammo and am not likely to replace it since I am not shooting competitively any longer.

Cooper 57M Jackson Hunter - sporter with rollover cheekpiece. Leupold VX-2, 6-18x40 with fine crosshair - this one does adjust perfectly

Posted By: m1919 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/08/21

My first attempt was so bad I gave up and ate lunch.

This one's for you City.....

Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/08/21
Great shooting Cert and drover!!….boy are you guys right this shoot sure does show the”flaws” in the ammo - I’m questioning things I have accepted for years!!

M1919 that sure doesn’t look like giving up to me!

PennDog
Not at all proud of how close some of those had to stretch to break red but I guess they all do.. best score so far with the cheapest ammo
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21
Whoa, Certifiable, Drover, now that is some impressive shooting with some super rifles.
Not sure I have any rimfires that'll match the Vudoo, but I'll give it another shot....pun intended. LOL
Posted By: m1919 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21

A hasty group as the sun goes down

Kimber SA shooting Federal UM

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]sawmill bbq

Not terribly happy with those way out in the white and no excuses for pulling them. Just the way it goes

Another with the 52B and Midas+

Originally Posted by drover
I finally had a relatively calm morning to shoot a couple of targets, it was drizzling so I didn't shoot from my benchrest I just used my portable bench set-up and shot from the deck. The target is a lasered 50 yds.

Certifiable - I feel your pain on the dropped shot. I was moving right along and feeling good about the SK target and as I was moving on to the 4th dot I got heavy on the trigger before the crosshairs were even in the dot - OOPS!!!

These targets do give a good illustration of the difference between inexpensive ammo and mid-grade ammo. I have used up my high-end match ammo and am not likely to replace it since I am not shooting competitively any longer.

Cooper 57M Jackson Hunter - sporter with rollover cheekpiece. Leupold VX-2, 6-18x40 with fine crosshair - this one does adjust perfectly

Very nice shooting drover.

I knew you would play along with us. Good shooting too buddy. I was prepping for my know your limits shoot tomorrow and I shot my 10-22. My score sucked. You know it amazes me that I can shoot a one hole freaking group and then on this shoot its all over the place. Ha ha.. That's why I wanted to start this thread, to see if others have the same trouble. A lot of these guys are shooting straight up damn good, with no trouble at all!!!! I need to get my hands on some good ammo!!! I took pictures at the range with my phone again, but the damn thing takes forever to send to my email. I'll see them around 1 tomorrow morning. I will post up my ugly target though. Just to make you feel better. I can take a picture with my camera real quick and then upload to imgur.
Ok, don't laugh too hard. I only shot one target with the 10-22 today. I was using Eley target ammo, like what I use in the single shot savage. I don't want to burn that stuff up, so I only fired off 20 rounds through the 10-22 today:

I'll post pics of the rifle when I get them. Tomorrow morning. This will give pappy more reason to join in on the fun. I'm curious to see how his competition model 10-22 does.

The rest of the time, I fired off some groups with my 22-250. Not real happy with the group size, but managed to keep them in the X-ring most of the time. Shooting 100-8x, 100-9x, and this possible. I wanted to burn up some of the ammo I loaded for my Steven's 200, so I ran them through my Tikka:

My club is going to be having a centerfire shoot on the 16th, but this rifle is going to be staying home. I'll pull the CTR out for that match.
Drover that’s some phenomenal shooting considering the ammo
Bsa this has been a great thread. Forces us to learn the truth about our rifles and ammo and habits
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21
Springfield 1922M1 with a 10x Lyman shooting TAC Match

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21
Had a grand plan to join the show this AM, but........heavy fog, trees drippin' big time and my range is in the woods.

Al B. Bach
Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21
This is a fun shoot, thanks for starting this BSA. As mentioned earlier it is more difficult than shooting groups because of having to reposition for every shot.

Cert - I like your Vudoo target a lot, it makes me want one but instead I think I will try to find some higher quality ammo for my Cooper. I thought I was through spending that much money on 22 ammo but this has rekindled my interest.
I am looking forward to another calm morning so I can try another target with the CCI & SK that I have on hand.

drover
Winchester 52C with Lyman STS

Couple of those notorious SK fliers

Vudoo with Eley black

Vudoo with some lapua
Posted By: Fiddy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21

Posted By: Fiddy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21

V22-3 18" threaded Ace kukery greyboe 40mph swirling gusts
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21

It does my heart good to see some old warhorse 52's and Springfield making the new upstarts look back over their shoulders!😁

Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21
Don't ya just love it when ya pop one dead center?😄
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/09/21

Dude, that is some fine shooting right there. Even had to curve the bullets around the tree's................... grin
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21
I’m hoping these vudoo targets have some folks pull out their wallets
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21
This is great - I’ve heard a lot about the Vudoos and can now see first hand what they are capable of. I’m used to the old war horses (of course being one myself) and grew up with wood and blued steel so hard to teach the proverbial old dog new tricks but sure is nice to see these rifles…….now getting all excited about dusting of the Remington 37, along with that Mauser 201 and may have to attach a scope to a Mauser Es350b……..it’s actually nice to fire these guns up again!!

Excellent shooting guys!!

PennDog
Posted By: Fiddy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21
Nobody in their right mind would SWFA an ES350B, so I'll do it.

Penndog lookin to get all Mauser-y..??
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21
😄…….I think I could get along with you guys! Nice rifles (and handguns Fiddy!) guys…..now your gonna make me do it……I have a very early ES350b that has no rear sight and I managed to attach an older Fecker scope but since found and appropriate receiver sight - may have to switch and Fiddy if my eyes were any good I could use my irons - but I can’t even see those dots at 50 (ouch) without “help” let alone the whole “right mind” thing!!

Certifiable maybe have to add my Mm410b also??

Actually getting curious as to how they may do with top shelf ammo?!

Should have a little more time this week - man this is fun!!

PennDog

p.s. Fiddy I didn’t even notice that was an MS350b - SWEET!!
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21

I knew you would play along with us. Good shooting too buddy. I was prepping for my know your limits shoot tomorrow and I shot my 10-22. My score sucked. You know it amazes me that I can shoot a one hole freaking group and then on this shoot its all over the place. Ha ha.. That's why I wanted to start this thread, to see if others have the same trouble. A lot of these guys are shooting straight up damn good, with no trouble at all!!!! I need to get my hands on some good ammo!!! I took pictures at the range with my phone again, but the damn thing takes forever to send to my email. I'll see them around 1 tomorrow morning. I will post up my ugly target though. Just to make you feel better. I can take a picture with my camera real quick and then upload to imgur.

bsa1917hunter,
When you figure out how it's possible to shoot one hole groups but are all over the place when shooting the single dot targets please let me know. LOL .. My Remington Squirrel rifle seems to do the same thing as your 10-22. Guess I'll get out one of the Sako's and the Mauser 201 and see if they do the same thing.
I was looking over a target I shot with the Rem. Custom and noticed that if you place one of the 1/2" dots over the targets I've shot it then becomes clear that while the multiple shots into one "hole" looks good it does extend a bit past the 1/2" dots. Looking at the target I've posted below you can see what I'm talking about.
The target below was shot for a contest where you fired 50 rds at the same target. I used 5 rounds of the 50 to rezero the scope so the crosshairs wouldn't cover up the group. Made that mistake earlier on when shooting the same contest. Ended up with no way to find the center of the bulls eye because of the bullet holes.

Posted By: m1919 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21
😄…….I think I could get along with you guys! Nice rifles (and handguns Fiddy!) guys…..now your gonna make me do it……I have a very early ES350b that has no rear sight and I managed to attach an older Fecker scope but since found and appropriate receiver sight - may have to switch and Fiddy if my eyes were any good I could use my irons - but I can’t even see those dots at 50 (ouch) without “help” let alone the whole “right mind” thing!!

PennDog

PennDog

We'd love to see those Mausers when you break them out....scoped or otherwise.

I too have considered putting period optics on one but love em just fine as they are.

We shoot a broad range of 22s and love all flavors....but those Mausers are something to behold.

Posted By: Fiddy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/10/21

PennDog

I can't take credit, those particular handguns aren't mine, although I do suffer their kin.

It would be nice to say I was shooting those little red dots at 50 yards open sights, but it'd be a lie. I just got the 350b recently and was checking function before I even thought about a scope. The gun did great on steel up to 50 yards, so its time to mount a scope and put some good ammo through it.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/11/21
M1919 - that is quite a collection of fantastic .22s!! and Fiddy those Mauser's sure can shoot - I have had some of my better days shooting those in iron sight matches and would think they could keep up with any quality .22 - wish my eyes could take advantage of that - I'll have to try and get that ES350b back up with the scope attached and see!!

....and K22 my Mauser 201 today reflects what you were talking about - shot about a 3/8" group sighting in for the score target and then proceeded to shoot a 70 eek I rarely miss a squirrel with this rifle but its usually less than fifty and the head is a little bigger than these dots laugh. Although my EXCUSE is the scope is my favorite Leupold 6X compact with Leupold Dot which was larger than the target dot and by the time I figure out what my sight picture should be I was just about done - although that doesn't explain that last shot!!

Next was an Anschutz 1710 with 6..5-20X EFR did pretty good and I pulled the one for sure the other one??

Last today was a Remington Model 37 with Redfield 3200 (16X)

Pretty sure based on the Mauser that my favorite squirrel rifles will probably be in that 70 range - but we will see grin

PennDog
Nice going penndog! I like your Remington 37 and it sure seems to shoot

Nice Annie too
Posted By: m1919 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/11/21
Love those rifles Penn...great shooting!

Thanks to bsa for putting this out here. I had a pretty dismal day but that happens

The T1x was put out of commission due a bad lot of ammo. Didn't have a rod on hand so had get it home to remove the 17 grain obstruction. I'll sent a note off to Winchester and see what they say

Posted By: Fiddy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/11/21
Nice shooting, Penn. Nice rifles!
Love those rifles Penn...great shooting!

Thanks to bsa for putting this out here. I had a pretty dismal day but that happens

The T1x was put out of commission due a bad lot of ammo. Didn't have a rod on hand so had get it home to remove the 17 grain obstruction. I'll sent a note off to Winchester and see what they say

Sorry to hear that man. I just bought some of that a few weeks ago. Damn.. Hopefully it didn't hurt the rifle.. I ran 2 boxes through my A17, but I did not like how it shot...

PennDog

PennDog

We'd love to see those Mausers when you break them out....scoped or otherwise.

I too have considered putting period optics on one but love em just fine as they are.

We shoot a broad range of 22s and love all flavors....but those Mausers are something to behold.

Damn fine collection there buddy. All of you guys have been busy with this thread. Some beautiful rifles and excellent shooting.

It does my heart good to see some old warhorse 52's and Springfield making the new upstarts look back over their shoulders!😁

Me too. You got to give those vudoo's credit though. They shoot damn well. Sometimes I wish I had an era correct scope for my 52.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/11/21
Thanks guys and as I’ve said before this is opening my eyes to a bunch of things I’ve never given much thought - heck of a learning experience!!

M1919 - be interested to see what Winchester has to say? And glad no one was hurt!!

PennDog
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/11/21
Would it be kosher to color the spots over black with a sharpie? I was gonna take a crack at it with my old iron sighted 9422 the other day, just to see how much I could embarrass myself, but I couldn't see the spots down the sights from 50... guess I'm getting old 😬

Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/11/21
Originally Posted by zcm82
Would it be kosher to color the spots over black with a sharpie? I was gonna take a crack at it with my old iron sighted 9422 the other day, just to see how much I could embarrass myself, but I couldn't see the spots down the sights from 50... guess I'm getting old 😬

Just change your printer setting to black and white and the dots will print as black. I did this for a couple of targets to see which would work best for my eyes.

drover
I did print in b/w but they are more of a gray than black.

Just change your printer setting to black and white and the dots will print as black. I did this for a couple of targets to see which would work best for my eyes.

drover

If you can even see those small dots at 50 yards, you guys have much better eyes than I do. I've been playing with my new savage target rifle and shot at 2 1" dots:

That's about the smallest dot I can see at 50 yards through iron sights. And even then I was using an aperture front, which helps. There's a guy at my club that can shoot 1/2" targets with his old mossberg target rifle. For chidts and giggles he was practicing on the know your limits targets and has actually hit the 1/4" target a few times as well. Not just the 1/4", but ran them all the way from the 2" to the 1/4". I was pretty impressed. Needless to say, in the actual event I tried and only hit 3. Ha ha.. That is only making it to the 1 1/2" target. Missed the 1" target...
This picture sucks, but not too far off from how I see them. ha ha.. Here's how the new savage target rifle does with cheap ammo on a good day:
That was the only group I shot with that rifle, on Saturday, but needed to check to see if it was still zeroed in. I shot it once in the KYL shoot, just for fun.. I'm glad to see you guys shooting this event. Its been a lot of fun. If you are up to using your iron sighted rifles, you can give it a shot. I wouldn't be able to, but good luck to those that attempt it.
I can't see them in gray, either, so it's not just you 😂. I can hit 1" black dots with it most of the time, but I've never tried 1/2" before. I can just barely see a 1" black dot at 100yds in good light, my eyes aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago. Not expecting great results, but I figured I'd give it a shot, anyway.

I robbed my Williams 5d off it to put on an air rifle earlier this year, and just replaced it with a Marble's 95 the other day when I took that picture since I couldn't find a lowline Williams in stock.
I can't see them in gray, either, so it's not just you 😂. I can hit 1" black dots with it most of the time, but I've never tried 1/2" before. I can just barely see a 1" black dot at 100yds in good light, my eyes aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago. Not expecting great results, but I figured I'd give it a shot, anyway.

I robbed my Williams 5d off it to put on an air rifle earlier this year, and just replaced it with a Marble's 95 the other day when I took that picture since I couldn't find a lowline Williams in stock.

Good luck if you do try. I know one problem I had at my clubs recent know your limits shoot, is keeping track of which one was next. A single 1" dot by itself is a much easier target. Good luck, if you attempt it. Sounds like your eyes are much better than mine, which doesn't surprise me.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/12/21
Thanks, I'll end up posting the results, no matter how embarassing. I'm not as good a shot with notch and blade as I am with a peep. Who knows, maybe I'll set the record for lowest score for the event 😏 Looks like I won't be getting around to it for a few days, though. It has been raining here since yesterday afternoon, and doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon.

Posted By: Pugs Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/12/21
Well crap. It could have been the guy shooting the F class .284 two benches down who was either breaking in a barrel or trying to wear it out. Even wearing double hearing protection it was loud. Hard to say at the rate he was shooting that braked thing so pulled the last shot and put another down there to show it was possible. I'll try again later.

Rifle was the 1955 Martini International MK II with a Weaver T36 and the Midas plus.

Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/12/21
Pugs,
how does that martini action remove the brass from the chamber? Is there an extractor included in the mechanisim or an ejector?
Very cool looking rifle and its a shooter for sure. I remember a good article Ross Seifreid did on a wildcat cartridge using a Martini he rescued. I have always wanted to shoot one after reading that.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/12/21
Pugs,
how does that martini action remove the brass from the chamber? Is there an extractor included in the mechanisim or an ejector?

I'm not sure about the centerfires but the rimfire have a very robust extractor. It throws the brass 4-5' on ejection. Kinda have to be careful of folks a couple of benches down to be polite.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/13/21
The International has a standard Martini-style extractor which initially levers the empty out partway and then a robust spring takes over and kicks it out. Pretty slick. Previous models of BSA Martinis simply extracted without ejection.

Mine kicks the empties to-hell-and-gone also, so I've taken to cupping my "spare hand" over the action as I open it to deflect them down onto the bench. Problem is that sometimes now they deflect back into the open action and have to be fished out. Gotta cook up a little screen to set up beside me to keep the empties under control. Or not.
Well crap. It could have been the guy shooting the F class .284 two benches down who was either breaking in a barrel or trying to wear it out. Even wearing double hearing protection it was loud. Hard to say at the rate he was shooting that braked thing so pulled the last shot and put another down there to show it was possible. I'll try again later.

Rifle was the 1955 Martini International MK II with a Weaver T36 and the Midas plus.

Great shooting pugs. Very nice. That rifle is a little different too. Thanks for posting your results. Nicely done!
Posted By: TenX Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/13/21
Don't have any new rifles, so I grabbed this 130 year old rifle. This was a fun way to spend some of the afternoon, maybe I could have found a better day since the wind was playing a few tricks on me but it turned out OK for an old man and an old rifle.

I can't figure out how you guys got the big pictures on here. Sorry these are small, but if you click on them, they will get somewhat bigger.
Phil

Attached picture X4PUInH.jpg
Attached picture x9VWCfa.jpg
Attached picture k3pwn5P.jpg
Attached picture tWfIv9j.jpg
Attached picture 7HQR7i1.jpg
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/13/21
Nice shooting, and with what may be the classiest rifle yet!! Gotta love a Ballard.

Whose barrel is on it? The Ballard .22 barrel I got from you will be going onto a #2 action this winter.
Originally Posted by TenX
Don't have any new rifles, so I grabbed this 130 year old rifle. This was a fun way to spend some of the afternoon, maybe I could have found a better day since the wind was playing a few tricks on me but it turned out OK for an old man and an old rifle.

I can't figure out how you guys got the big pictures on here. Sorry these are small, but if you click on them, they will get somewhat bigger.
Phil

That sure is a sexy rifle. Great shooting too!!!!
Posted By: TenX Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/13/21
Its a A W Peterson barrel. I've another one also, both shoot very well certainly better than me. I've shot much smaller groups with this rifle than the shots on this target would indicate. Do you think the difference is due to the moving from one aiming point to another rather than leaving it stationary is the fly in the ointment?
Phil
Its a A W Peterson barrel. I've another one also, both shoot very well certainly better than me. I've shot much smaller groups with this rifle than the shots on this target would indicate. Do you think the difference is due to the moving from one aiming point to another rather than leaving it stationary is the fly in the ointment?
Phil

I believe that is definitely not helping us. Ha ha. Or me anyway. I thought maybe my eyes, parallax, etc???
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/13/21
Phil

That seems to be the problem I see. Shooting at the same POA yields smaller groups than if I were to shoot at 20 different POA’s and overlap the targets.

Ideally the front and rear rest are perfectly in line, however each time you move up/down or left/right- you’re disrupting that, although not my much.

Unfortunately I’m not good enough of a shot to prove that, but it’s a theory I happen to believe in.
Phil

That seems to be the problem I see. Shooting at the same POA yields smaller groups than if I were to shoot at 20 different POA’s and overlap the targets.

Ideally the front and rear rest are perfectly in line, however each time you move up/down or left/right- you’re disrupting that, although not my much.

Unfortunately I’m not good enough of a shot to prove that, but it’s a theory I happen to believe in.

I call bs on the statement about your shooting ability. You are very good, from what I've seen.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/14/21
Nice shooting, and with what may be the classiest rifle yet!! Gotta love a Ballard.

Whose barrel is on it? The Ballard .22 barrel I got from you will be going onto a #2 action this winter.

Yep that is something to behold there! Great shooter too!

PennDog
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/14/21
TenX
that is noe good looking rifle and it shoots. Thanks for posting. The pictures were fine when you click on them.
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/14/21

I was establishing my 50 yard zero for LAPUA Center-X in the Ruger Precision Rimfire this morning at a nearby public range, and got this five shot group after some adjustment:

So then, I figured I was ready to try The Precision Rimfire Shoot:

Seems I was not quite as ready as I had figured:

Do you think the soft padded bench top, covered in shag carpet, could have played some role?

Don’t sell yourself short.. that’s excellent shooting from a “budget” rifle!
TenX..
I firmly believe moving the rifle after every shot plays a big factor in consistency.

That’s why these types of shoots are so interesting. When holding the shooter more accountable, results change.

I was actually disappointed in my Vudoo results... but I keep looking at it from the overlaying all 20 shots perspective
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/14/21
There is some really fine shooting going on this thread.
I still think that for the most part if you were to look closely at those 10 round and up targets that have been posted, then lay them over the top of the single 1/2 dot target we are shooting you will find that the single rounds fired at each dot would lay within those 10rd. targets. Maybe not all, but the majority would.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. grin
Posted By: TenX Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/14/21
Certifiable
Thats what I think and thats my excuse (until I come up with a better one) that all are not dead center. Like you said, this was a very interesting and fun shoot and I thank bsa1917hunter for coming up with the idea. It was a great break in the week for me.
Phil
Originally Posted by K22
There is some really fine shooting going on this thread.
I still think that for the most part if you were to look closely at those 10 round and up targets that have been posted, then lay them over the top of the single 1/2 dot target we are shooting you will find that the single rounds fired at each dot would lay within those 10rd. targets. Maybe not all, but the majority would.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. grin

Ha ha.. I love it.. I mainly posted targets of my iron sight 10 shot groups, but those don't count. A couple of my iron sighted rifles will never wear scopes, but that's just how it goes. I love looking at all the fine shooting rifles in this thread. Great shooters with like minds here. Glad to see everyone having fun in this event.. The other day when I was at my clubs KYL shoot, I had a guy offer to buy my 10-22. I said you haven't even shot it, how do you know you want to buy it. He said, "I just saw how you shot it". That was worth a laugh. That damn 10-22 ran all the targets 3 times in a row and you guys saw how I missed the 1/2" red dots. The KYL targets go down to 1/4" for the smallest one, as most of you know that have shot those events. So last Saturday, I gave up my 10-22 to let my buddy shoot it and I used my single shot savage FVT. I got my azz whipped with my own rifle!!! The way we shoot it is head to head. The first one to clear all targets, without missing, wins. While the damn Eley target rounds were sticking to my fingers and I was on my 6th target, they called out "winner"!!! He not only kicked my azz once, but I shot against him twice that day and he won both times. Running a single shot rifle against a damn accurate 10-22 does not work. Had it been my magazine fed MKII FVT target rifle, I may of had a chance, but it's one of those that I probably won't scope. My buddy offered me $700.00 for that 10-22 so I can buy the new left hand competition model. I'm still not sure If I'll take him up on his offer. That kidd barrel is shooting son of a gun...
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/15/21
Don’t sell yourself short.. that’s excellent shooting from a “budget” rifle!

I appreciate your encouraging words. But, I believe this rifle will do better from a more consistent bench surface. The comfort of the unevenly cushioned, 1970s shag rug bench top must seem very attractive to most of its users. While that “deluxe” bench doesn’t cause a problem when using sand bags, it has previously given my bipods trouble I don’t get on smooth, flat, hard top benches elsewhere.

And, I must confess, that’s not Ruger’s barrel on the rifle.

Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/15/21
This is an enjoyable "match" concept. The thing that I have learned from it is that my Cooper appears to be competitive with most of the other rifles out there and that I need to find higher grade match ammo. I should also give it a try from my solid benchrest before getting too wrapped up in the ammo search.
The biggest problem now is that it is too cold in the morning to get the best performance from 22 ammo and then by the time it warms up in the afternoon the wind is up.

I really need to try this with my Tikka T1X 22 LR also.

Keep the results coming in.

drover
Posted By: Muffin Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/15/21
The shooter - MUFFIN
The Rifle - Contender, Bulberry Match Bbl 24", SilencerCo Harvester 300, Bag rest

1st up NORMA Match 22

2nd - WOLF

3rd - SK Standard PLUS

This is an enjoyable "match" concept. The thing that I have learned from it is that my Cooper appears to be competitive with most of the other rifles out there and that I need to find higher grade match ammo. I should also give it a try from my solid benchrest before getting too wrapped up in the ammo search.
The biggest problem now is that it is too cold in the morning to get the best performance from 22 ammo and then by the time it warms up in the afternoon the wind is up.

drover

drover, the T1x is one that intrigues me. When you get a chance, please post your results with that rifle. Thanks..
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/15/21
I was sittin’ next to Muffin when was shooting. Was watching him closely and suggested after the second target that he would do better with his eyes open.

I was planning to shoot also, but the target frame sits in the shade, red dots are small and the rifle has an aperture sight. Oh well.

Al B. Bach
I was sittin’ next to Muffin when was shooting. Was watching him closely and suggested after the second target that he would do better with his eyes open.

I was planning to shoot also, but the target frame sits in the shade, red dots are small and the rifle has an aperture sight. Oh well.

Al B. Bach

Oh, that was funny. Its obvious either his rifle doesn't like that ammo, or you were kissing his ear while he was trying to shoot that first target..

drover

drover, the T1x is one that intrigues me. When you get a chance, please post your results with that rifle. Thanks..

Bsa.. I happen to know drover can shoot a t1x right proper:)
Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/15/21

drover

Your T1X groups better than the one I have now, it falls under the heading of "one of those firearms I should have never sold".
But I have never tried anything in this one besides CCI SV and it throws one out occasionally - shooter, ammo, or rifle I don't know for sure. Maybe I should try some of the SK Std + in it but I am down to my last brick of it and am not sure when, or if, I can replace it.

drover

Al B. Bach

Oh, that was funny. Its obvious either his rifle doesn't like that ammo, or you were kissing his ear while he was trying to shoot that first target..

Don’t make me go all Doc Holliday on ya. 😜
This is the one I wanted to shoot...........

drover

I'm sure he can. I've heard the Tikka's can shoot.
This is the one I wanted to shoot...........

Very cool ol Remington.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21

Al B. Bach

BSA, we're 'close'..... but not THAT close.

I've know him a long time. Will never forget the time in MIA, back around '88 or so, I had the microphone, he had the keyboard, Clinton IIRC had the pencil, there was an aerial ballet going on just east of FL that was spectacular. After the fact Clinton says 'do you realize you had over 35 A/C on your frequency'????

Everybody got through, and we had more coffee!!!

So be careful, we've been trained to stand and fight..............

wink
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21
Fight? Where?!?!? I’m bored, haven’t had a good tussle since An Khe.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21
Likely not news to anyone here.

But it is interesting to note the 'Names' of the three different Ammo(s) shot..........

NORMA MATCH - 22, name alone would lead one to believe that this would be some dandy stuff............

WOLF Performance Ammunition - Also sounds like good stuff and I would note that IT IS.......

and then you have

SK STANDARD + - Standard, almost sounds like 'run-of-the-mill stuff...........

Truth is they were/are all good ammo, shot in the order that they appear above...

Maybe I got better as the shoot progressed..

Maybe Dan quit blowing in my ear........

Maybe it had to do with the sun moving a bit.............

YMMV
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21
Dan being there would definitely be a distraction, for me anyway. Probably spend more time yakking back and forth than shooting.

The simple truth is the higher the quality of .22 ammo, the better results one can expect. Exceptions abound, but at the end of the day the expensive stuff would be what I bet on. Tighter specs and quality control trumps devil-may-care mass-produced.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21
It's calm here today and I have a few minutes, so I thought I'd download a target from the link and give this thing a try, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Is it just me? Can anyone else open it?
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21
Just clicked it and it opened up.

Try going to the front page of the site My Targets . com. Its down at the bottom of the front page.

http://mytargets.com

Originally Posted by bruinruin
It's calm here today and I have a few minutes, so I thought I'd download a target from the link and give this thing a try, but the link doesn't seem to be working. Is it just me? Can anyone else open it?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/16/21
Just clicked it and it opened up.

Try going to the front page of the site My Targets . com. Its down at the bottom of the front page.

http://mytargets.com

Originally Posted by bruinruin

I got it figured out, thanks. I was expecting it to open a window to print from, but it simply downloaded I to my device and I didn't notice. I appreciate your help.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/17/21
BSA invited me to shoot at his range yesterday so I packed up a bunch of rifles and went over to try to embarrass myself in a very relaxed "competition" . After wards we brought out a few .22s and tried to shoot the precision rimfire challenge and learned some hard lessons.

Both my 52B and my 541S like SK Standard plus, but I found out the SK tends to have fliers. some by just a little bit, but some were more like "WTF" just happened? So, I tried some Eley Action and, after about 12-15 sighter rounds they started to group so I shot another target to see how I could do.... I did find out this is a lot harder than it looks even with very accurate rifles. I brought out my 541S and shot some of the Eley through it and it was grouping "okay", but not spectacular so I got out the RWS I just received and started to season the barrel. At first this stuff was all over the place with my 52B and my 541S and I was about to give up on it, but after about 15 rounds it finally started to group like I expected it to and I was able to shoot a couple more targets with it. Still not perfect targets but better than the targets I shot with SK Standard plus.... after a while a bunch of militia types opened fire in a rock pit adjacent to our gun range and the noise was like WWIII going on and incredibly distracting so we called it a day.

Thanks to BSA for inviting me and I'll try to post some pics a little later today if I can figure it out. Seems like every time I try to post pics I have to learn the system all over again....

Bob
BSA invited me to shoot at his range yesterday so I packed up a bunch of rifles and went over to try to embarrass myself in a very relaxed "competition" . After wards we brought out a few .22s and tried to shoot the precision rimfire challenge and learned some hard lessons.

Both my 52B and my 541S like SK Standard plus, but I found out the SK tends to have fliers. some by just a little bit, but some were more like "WTF" just happened? So, I tried some Eley Action and, after about 12-15 sighter rounds they started to group so I shot another target to see how I could do.... I did find out this is a lot harder than it looks even with very accurate rifles. I brought out my 541S and shot some of the Eley through it and it was grouping "okay", but not spectacular so I got out the RWS I just received and started to season the barrel. At first this stuff was all over the place with my 52B and my 541S and I was about to give up on it, but after about 15 rounds it finally started to group like I expected it to and I was able to shoot a couple more targets with it. Still not perfect targets but better than the targets I shot with SK Standard plus.... after a while a bunch of militia types opened fire in a rock pit adjacent to our gun range and the noise was like WWIII going on and incredibly distracting so we called it a day.

Thanks to BSA for inviting me and I'll try to post some pics a little later today if I can figure it out. Seems like every time I try to post pics I have to learn the system all over again....

Bob

I had a great time meeting Bob. He is a joker, good people and a great shooter. He left out the part about letting me shoot his 52B. What a beautiful rifle, but it has a custom stock with right hand cheek piece with a roll over comb. He offered to let me shoot it, but I told him I'd have to shoot it right handed and I'd be at a disadvantage. His rifles are extremely accurate. I expect he will be posting some pics of some decent targets when he gets a chance.
Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/18/21
I finally had an opportunity to shoot the Tikka T1X on the red dot target
18 out of 20 - The first shot in row 2 and the third shot in row 3 were almost breaking the line. Not bad for a $500 rifle and $2.99 per box ammo.
CCI S/V - I shot the first 10 shots before realizing that I was at the end of that lot number so I shot the next 10 from another lot, it really didn't seem to make any difference thouigh. Needless to say I am very happy with this rifle and ammo combo.

It is unmodified except for adjusting the trigger to 1 ln 4 oz and the addition of the buttpad.

Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/18/21
That is some darned good shooting drover....
Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/18/21
I also took the time to shoot another target with the Cooper 57M sporter. The breeze was from the left and a little switchy, on the last row it started moving the shots further out to the bottom right, number 16,17, 18 are just breaking the line I should have stopped and waited out the wind at that point but instead I thought I could outsmart it. I was ticked when I dropped #19 out the bottom and unfortunately it was still living in my head when I shot #20 and blew it out the top. I am still happy with the rifle ammo combo. Now, if I could only smarten up the shooter.

Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21

Thanks, this is a great backyard challenge. I was skeptical at first, it looks too easy but moving to a new dot each time certainly is harder than shooting a small group.

drover
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21

+1 - excellent shooting Drover and that Tikka shoots a whole lot better than the one I had with ANY type of ammo!

PennDog
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21
As Pugs is fond of saying, I'm becoming more and more a .22 slut. As often as not, when selecting stuff for a range day I reach for more .22's than centerfires. The lure of fine accuracy, cheap shooting (even in this day and age), and the challenge of determining the preferred diet of a rifle makes for a pleasant pastime.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21
Finally finding a little time to try to download some target pics- warts and all.... wink
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 52 shows clearly the inconsistency I was getting with the SK Standard plus in the first pic, much better results with the RWS in the second pic. The third pic shows the Eley Action in my 541TS. Not bad ammo, but no better than a lot of other mid priced ammo . Ran out of time to shoot the RWS in the 541T, but next time it will be my mission to try it in several rifles, including my target rifles for a change...

Bob

Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21
Bob…..my 52 did the same thing with any ammo I tried except Lapua X-Act (of course😬). As others have mentioned - when shooting groups it looks pretty good, when we go to shot/dot sometimes not so much😄! I need to get a few other rifles out and see where I’m at with them - these will more my hunting rifles than my “competition” guns. I’m anxious to try that old Mossberg 42 - scope (also Mossberg) is not the greatest but does shoot good groups?!!

PennDog
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21

Mounted the old, steel Weaver T-16 on this Contender .22LR Match so I could see enough of the red dot around the crosshairs at 50 yards. Sighted in this morning on the B-3 target using LAPUA Center-X. First shot nicked the edge at 8 o’clock. Adjusted till they hit center. Switched to LAPUA Midas + and fired five at the NRA eagle to confirm. Then, started on the red dots with the Midas +. Dialed down as I finished line 3 to compensate, as hits were going high. Then just plain blew the last shot.

Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21
That is the biggest thing I learned from this exercise. Even though I thought at one time I was shooting good groups, and seasoning the barrels on these rifles I had some pretty good groups going before shooting for these scores, once I started shooting I realized that bit of dispersion and occasional flyers you can write off when shooting groups become glaring examples of the quality of the ammo, the quality of the gun, the skill of the shooter, and the difficulty of doing this exercise over 20 shots without cherry picking a group to post....

In other words, I was a bit surprised at how difficult this really is to do well. I let BSA shoot my 52, which is right handed and he normally shoots left handed. Even with that difficulty I think he shot a better target with my rifle than I did (but just barely wink )..... this exercise can be a humbling experience for sure, but it can also be a valuable learning experience if you choose to look at it that way. I will be trying my target rifles on the next go around on this exercise to see if I can improve on my results.... and a few more of my sporters just for fun... wink

Bob
Bob…..my 52 did the same thing with any ammo I tried except Lapua X-Act (of course😬). As others have mentioned - when shooting groups it looks pretty good, when we go to shot/dot sometimes not so much😄! I need to get a few other rifles out and see where I’m at with them - these will more my hunting rifles than my “competition” guns. I’m anxious to try that old Mossberg 42 - scope (also Mossberg) is not the greatest but does shoot good groups?!!

PennDog

I need to get me some Lapua X-act or something else and try this thing again!!! Its been fun. Sheister even let me shoot his sweet 52B and that was fun. I'm glad to see you guys getting out and giving this a try.

Mounted the old, steel Weaver T-16 on this Contender .22LR Match so I could see the red dot around the crosshairs at 50 yards. Sighted in this morning on the B-3 target using LAPUA Center-X. First shot nicked the edge at 8 o’clock. Adjusted till they hit center. Switched to LAPUA Midas + and fired five at the NRA eagle to confirm. Then, started on the red dots with the Midas +. Dialed down as I finished line 3 to compensate, as hits were going high. Then just plain blew the last shot.

Very good shooting. Thanks for posting buddy...
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21

Mounted the old, steel Weaver T-16 on this Contender .22LR Match so I could see the red dot around the crosshairs at 50 yards. Sighted in this morning on the B-3 target using LAPUA Center-X. First shot nicked the edge at 8 o’clock. Adjusted till they hit center. Switched to LAPUA Midas + and fired five at the NRA eagle to confirm. Then, started on the red dots with the Midas +. Dialed down as I finished line 3 to compensate, as hits were going high. Then just plain blew the last shot.

Very good shooting. Thanks for posting buddy...

That Contender pistol has always challenged the precision of the rifles, sometimes bettering them:

… and this afternoon on the 6” steel at 200 yards, it showed its stuff again:
5 shots with LAPUA Midas + (from the same box as on the red dots, above) measured just under 2-1/4”.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/19/21
Went out today for my second attempt, something has gone haywire with the chosen rifle, so..................I'll fall back with another try in a day or three.

DD
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/29/21
Got a chance to go out and shoot another set before the rains set in.
Got out the Kimber Classic which shoots pretty good, but I discovered I needed to lighten the trigger some more. It's breaking at 20oz. and I prefer no more than 16 on a Squirrel rifle. I pulled 3 shots although 2 of them are touching black, but still was not happy I pulled them.

Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/29/21
Nice shooting, and nice rifle!
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/29/21
Nice work with the Kimber. That should be good for the squirrel management program!!!
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/29/21
Thanks.
It's turning into one of my favorite rifles.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/30/21
Excellent shooting K22 and sweet rifle!

PennDog
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/30/21
Thanks PennDog.
This Kimber loves RWS Subsonic more than any of the other higher end ammo I have.
I was going to shoot one of the Sako Quads, but it was not performing like it should. I must have cleaned the barrel to good when I put it away a couple of years ago.
Nice shooting K22!! Beautiful rifle too. I like it..
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/30/21
Well played, K22!

Like someone once said - "A thing of beauty and a joy forever."
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 10/30/21
Thanks BSA and gnoahhh.
I've never been accused of being a thing of beauty nor a joy, so you must be talking about the rifle. grin
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/01/21
Sorry to say I won’t be able to participate in this party. All y’all keep on keepin’ on.
Sorry to say I won’t be able to participate in this party. All y’all keep on keepin’ on.

Did you lose your rifles in a boating accident?

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/01/21
Yes I did.
Yes I did.

Dang it!!!!
Posted By: Sheister Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/02/21
Yes I did.

Isn't that like the second time this year? maybe you should take a boating class? LOL wink
Hey Sheister, have you had a chance to go out and shoot this again? How did your elk hunting go? I'm back home and my legs are fn tired!!
Posted By: CamNWIA Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/06/21
Tried this today with my Tikka T1X and my Anschutz Match 54. Both at 50 yds and using SK Flatnose Target ammo. Will try to post up pics, have issues with that on here sometimes....

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/u...FMbnqf1Z4pap3slC=w351-h624-no?authuser=0[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w...iuNLeSVkb8VCUWHK=w351-h624-no?authuser=0[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/W...0CNtaIxX0eFOEw6J=w351-h624-no?authuser=0[/img]
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/06/21
Pics aren’t working for me
Originally Posted by CamNWIA
Tried this today with my Tikka T1X and my Anschutz Match 54. Both at 50 yds and using SK Flatnose Target ammo. Will try to post up pics, have issues with that on here sometimes....

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/u...FMbnqf1Z4pap3slC=w351-h624-no?authuser=0[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w...iuNLeSVkb8VCUWHK=w351-h624-no?authuser=0[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/W...0CNtaIxX0eFOEw6J=w351-h624-no?authuser=0[/img]

Maybe try imgur. I'm not seeing the links or pics.
I bought some SK match yesterday, to try in my rifles. Also damn near bought a stainless Tikka CTR too. Took a lot of restraint to not throw down the money. Don't know when I'll get a chance to go out and shoot though. Been busy. Had to take some time off for elk hunting.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/07/21
Great shooting with some very nice rifles. My $.02. Mostly due to age, I have cut back on my shooting and have sold several guns. Most recently I sold my LH CZ 452 and I sent some targets from benchrest matches to the buyer. They would hold their own very well with the targets posted here. I won several factory class matches with this rifle, and an annual aggregate.

I did extensive testing with this rifle, so I had a very good handle on its potential. It was not fussy about ammo, but I had the most consistently good results with certain lots of Wolf Match Extra. The problem with Euro ammo is that many things are not what they appear to be and there are frequent changes. You can't always tell from the packaging and head stamps. I learned straight from the owner of the unfortunately now defunct Champion Shooters Supply that Wolf and SK aren't or weren't just similar, they are the same. Norma .22s look suspiciously similar. The now-gone Federal match ammo was made by RWS in Germany. I had a shooter dispute that until I showed him the very tiny print on the carton. Now we hear that Wolf is made by Eley. Of course Eley is always changing its product line. So on it goes, and to be really serious about it you have to keep up with things and do your homework. It's even harder under current market conditions.

The single most important thing I have learned about precision shooting of .22s is the importance of wind. Most shooters, except serious benchresters, pay little or no attention to the wind factor. You seldom see wind flags except at BR matches. Time after time I have seen shooters tear their hair out over flyers where it was clearly due to the wind. Waiting for a calm day helps, but the wind is always there, and it can be sneaky. I spent many hours as a range officer watching shooters with high dollar rifles and ammo "testing", while it was clear that they were not getting meaningful results because some part of their gear and/or techniques were less than optimal. These include a very basic understanding of principles of statistical analysis.

I have a soft spot for vintage single shots. Although I have been thinning my herd. I would be sorely tempted by a nice Martini set up for a left handed shooter.

Paul

Thanks for your input Paul. A lot of us know where you are coming from. Especially those of us that have to deal with shooting in the wind. With that being said, one has to be mindful of ammo that produces "flyers" and stay away from it, if you want precision. You can't just blame crappy shot placement on poor shooting skills. Often times, with 22lr, its the ammo. I can tell by many of the targets posted here, that these guys know how to shoot and they know whether it was them or the ammo. One of the reasons I started this thread was to see what 22lr ammo shoots more consistently than others. Its also been fun and challenging hitting those little targets.
Posted By: CamNWIA Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/08/21
Trying again with Imgur. Thanks for the tip!

https://imgur.com/LeQTzZP

https://imgur.com/AlcNZq0

https://imgur.com/9yWyGQw
Originally Posted by CamNWIA

Nice shooting. Glad to see you went imgur. Now you need to learn how to post the link so it shows up as a picture. I usually click on the little blue box to the right that says "Copy". Use the one that says "BBCode". That is for posting directly to a forum, such as this. Works pretty slick..
Posted By: CamNWIA Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 11/09/21
Gotcha, will try that next time. Thanks for the info, appreciate it.
Posted By: TenX Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/20/21
Well, winter is already proving boring, so when a fairly decent day came along I drug out another 140 year rifle to try at this game. Just a little breeze, so not too bad.
Phil
https://i.postimg.cc/wTWbZ42f/2.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Kcf93p6G/3.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/NFjkxY3g/4.jpg
Posted By: Pugs Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/20/21
Very nice! Details on the rifle?
Pug
Thanks. Its a Ballard with an AW Peterson barrel and a Lyman Supertarget Spot 25X scope. Used CCI SV, maybe I should have used some TenX. Oh well. It amazes me how well these old barrels shoot compared with new production especially when you consider the machinery they had to work with back in the day.
Phil
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/20/21
Really nice Ballard!
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/20/21
That's a beauty, and a shooter.

I couldn't do it... even after changing out sights a while back, I couldn't consistently pick out the spots. 1" yes, 1/2" no. So I guess I know the limits of my eyesight now.
Pug
Thanks. Its a Ballard with an AW Peterson barrel and a Lyman Supertarget Spot 25X scope. Used CCI SV, maybe I should have used some TenX. Oh well. It amazes me how well these old barrels shoot compared with new production especially when you consider the machinery they had to work with back in the day.
Phil

Boy that's great wood - most of them I see don't have much figure at all. Very pretty. I intend to get back to these precision shoots when there's a nice day
Its a really fun thing to do when you can. We should do a centerfire version maybe with fewer shots so our barrels don't melt.
Phil
Its a really fun thing to do when you can. We should do a centerfire version maybe with fewer shots so our barrels don't melt.
Phil

Yep! Would be fun. Iron sighted and scoped
Yes, and the guys with all those rifles that will shoot 1/4" all day long will do very well smile
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/21/21
A minute or more between shots with a plain based lead bullet, breech seating, with 14 grains 4227, won't melt my barrel!
Gotta wonder which model Ballard that started life as. Union Hill, Mid-Range, were two that come to mind with pistol grip receivers and closed loop levers. I must say Ballards are awfully neat rifles, perhaps my favorites.
My Ballard .22. Forged receiver, Stevens-Pope .22 barrel (rifled as such but not marked as such), placed 3rd in an ASSRA match with it last year. No idea which model it started out as - I've shown it to a couple top-tier Ballard guys, Val Miller and Tom Rowe, who are stumped by it. Best guess it was a tool room job.

Faceted receiver ring says Rigby Ballard but it's a straight grip receiver and not engraved. Grooved top of receiver says Ballard #3 but all #3's were cast receivers, this one's forged. Mystery mutt, but it's mine and I like it.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/21/21
Question in regards to my ignorance on antique scopes... what is the spring behind the front ring for?
It returns the scope to battery after each shot. Scopes like that slide back and forth in those mounts due to recoil, without the spring they have to be manually returned into battery after each shot. A lot of scopes (Unertl, Fecker, Lyman, etc.) used on centerfires purposely don't have the spring because the slam-bang action can wreck the really really fine crosshairs- not a big deal on light recoiling rifles. For example, the 8x Unertl's used on the WWII USMC M1903 Springfield sniper rifles had the springs left off on purpose for that reason. Some say it's a benefit, some say it's hogwash. Boils down to personal opinion, as always. I keep the springs on for some of the .22's, none on any of my centerfire target guns.

Sweet shooting and looking old rifle TenX. Thanks for sharing with us. That wood is awesome!! Cool you are using an old long tube scope like that too. I almost bought one for my 52B, but decided to keep the irons.
My Ballard .22. Forged receiver, Stevens-Pope .22 barrel (rifled as such but not marked as such), placed 3rd in an ASSRA match with it last year. No idea which model it started out as - I've shown it to a couple top-tier Ballard guys, Val Miller and Tom Rowe, who are stumped by it. Best guess it was a tool room job.

Faceted receiver ring says Rigby Ballard but it's a straight grip receiver and not engraved. Grooved top of receiver says Ballard #3 but all #3's were cast receivers, this one's forged. Mystery mutt, but it's mine and I like it.

Very cool rifle gnoahhh. I'm glad I started this thread. There are some very fine rifles here and you guys shoot them very well...
Posted By: TenX Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/21/21
gnoahhh
Very nice rifle, it is indeed a mystery with features from different models. Looks like a nice Fecker as well. Do you use your spring? I've read differing opinions both pro and con on their use.
Phil
Thanks, Phil. Yes, I use the spring on .22's and very light recoiling CF's. And yes, I'm not 100% reliable in remembering to manually return a scope to battery when going springless (and it'll show in the group).

I had to replace the crosshairs in a Fecker once because they broke. Can't swear if because of recoil and the spring, but they broke. Not a fun job, wrangling .0005" (half thou) tungsten wire was an exercise in frustration not to be repeated if I can help it!
What is the purpose of the scope moving, protection of the hairs?
Posted By: Exchipy Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/21/21
Used CCI SV, maybe I should have used some TenX. Oh well.
Phil

CCI SV can at times perform quite well, as you have demonstrated. But, it’s their all too frequent strays which drive one to distraction.
I think since the eye relief on these scopes is so small and the scope moves forward upon firing, it helps to keep it from whacking you..
Phil
That, and remember when these scopes were designed. A century ago internal scope adjustment was crude and very limited in travel. Also, it's easier to make a simple telescope without internal adjustment, allowing the maker to concentrate on the important stuff like optics. Another feature that some people don't get is that the adjustment knobs are actually micrometers and as such are precisely repeatable: make note of the windage and elevation settings, swap the scope onto a different rifle and then eventually back to the first rifle, re-set the knobs according to your notes and presto you're right back on target.A fella can theoretically make do with but one scope for all his rifles that way. (But like everything else in a rifle loonie's life, more is better!)
Some may point to the inherent fragility of an arrangement like this. 'Tain't necessarily so. The Marines utilized the Unertl target scope on their M1903 sniper rifle, through the Pacific War and into Korea. 'Nuff said.
Thanks for the info. Like I said, I know very little about the older scopes. I've never owned an externally adjusted one. That actually seems kind of slick, just being able to swap scopes and not have to fiddle with much re-zeroing. As someone who doesn't run many scopes, I can definitely see the upside there.

I am guessing the biggest downside is the adjustable bases are pretty pricey?
The adjustable rings generally come with the scope, the rings are not easily removed from the scope. For the most part these scopes, depending on power, sell from $500 to $800, adjustable rings included. Most commonly encountered are Unertl, Lyman Super Targetspot, and Fecker. Everyone has their own favorite but thery are all good.
Phil
You're right, and I can't say I have a favorite, Phil. I use all that you mentioned.
Ah, so you just pull the scope and bases/rings as a whole unit, then just set them to whatever your zero was on a given rifle.

I like this idea.... sorta makes me wonder why this style faded away.
Good question. Not sure I know the answer.
Bases stay on each rifle, the rings slide off the base once you loosen a thumb screw on each ring.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/22/21
More beautiful rifles, great shooting and learning even more!! I’m also glad you started this thread and event bsa1917hunter!!

PennDog
Thanks PennDog. There are some great rifles and shooters in this thread. Good information on what works too. Its helpful to me and I hope others as well. Thanks for participating and showing some of your great rifles. It is much appreciated.
Thanks PennDog. There are some great rifles and shooters in this thread. Good information on what works too. Its helpful to me and I hope others as well. Thanks for participating and showing some of your great rifles. It is much appreciated.

I missed this somehow. Printed your targets and going to try it out Friday.
Just got my T1X dropped into a Bravo this week. Try it and my Anschutz 1407R. Maybe a 541T and 513T too.
Thanks for starting this BSA.
Nice rifle buddy. I'll bet it is a shooter. Those Tikka's are pretty impressive. Good luck if you give this a try. Use some good ammo...
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/23/21
I need to thank you for starting this thread also bsa. It has inspired me to get out more with my rimfires than I have lately. I was even motivated to do a little work on my Kimber Classic trigger to see if I could better my target score and when the weather warms up a little I'll be testing that out.
Rimfires, actually accurate sporter rimfires, have always been a huge interest of mine. This started back when I was a young boy and was given a Belgium Browning T-Bolt for Christmas, then later in life with a Kleingunther K22.
As usual, through the years I have gotten off track from my rimfire love and going to centerfire sporter rifles. As I've reached the age I am now and have shortened my working to parttime, cash flow is much more fixed now and rimfires are coming back into focus.
So thank you BSA for bringing me back full circle.

as a side note: Thank you Penndog for sparing my savings account. laugh

Merry Christmas to all.

K22
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by K22
I need to thank you for starting this thread also bsa. It has inspired me to get out more with my rimfires than I have lately. I was even motivated to do a little work on my Kimber Classic trigger to see if I could better my target score and when the weather warms up a little I'll be testing that out.
Rimfires, actually accurate sporter rimfires, have always been a huge interest of mine. This started back when I was a young boy and was given a Belgium Browning T-Bolt for Christmas, then later in life with a Kleingunther K22.
As usual, through the years I have gotten off track from my rimfire love and going to centerfire sporter rifles. As I've reached the age I am now and have shortened my working to parttime, cash flow is much more fixed now and rimfires are coming back into focus.
So thank you BSA for bringing me back full circle.

as a side note: Thank you Penndog for sparing my savings account. laugh

Merry Christmas to all.

K22

We seem to have a lot of common interests K22 (along with the others on this thread) and sporter .22s definitely have my attention. This thread, like many here, have made me get these rifles out, dust them off and learn a pile (amazing how much we can learn if we pay attention😄!!).

BTW K22 - no problem sparing your bank account - you’ve spared mine a few times😁👍).

……and Merry Christmas to all!!

PennDog
Humbling. Can’t blame it on the rifle or the wind because there was none
Anschutz 1407 repeater by Chesebro. Remington Match EPS. Did about the same with SK standard. Didn’t post pics of my Tikka target, first time out with the Bravo and honestly I shot it better with the factory stock.

Definitely need to get back to shooting more often….
I’ll add, I much prefer the 10x SS with the standard mil quad reticle I have on my Annie over the 3-15x with the mil quad DM that has a diamond with a dot in the center that’s on my Tikka.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/26/21
Very nice. I especially like the fact you can drive right up to the shooting bench.
Very nice. I especially like the fact you can drive right up to the shooting bench.

It’s the driveway into my place. I pull the bench up onto the driveway to get enough height to shoot over the damn cattails in my pond, LOL.
Just shopping for a decent front rest. That old wobbly Hoppes sure isn’t helping my game….
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by jackmountain

It’s the driveway into my place. I pull the bench up onto the driveway to get enough height to shoot over the damn cattails in my pond, LOL.
Just shopping for a decent front rest. That old wobbly Hoppes sure isn’t helping my game….

Ya, those Hoppes rests are a bit wobbly. Here's one that I have that works good. Price is more now than when I bought mine 10 or so years ago.
Front Rest
I use a hand towel folded once over the leather rest. It does seem to snug the forearm in and on lightweight rifles helps with the repeatable accuracy.
Posted By: drover Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/26/21

Keep your eyes open for the Caldwell Rock BR front rest, I have seen them on sale for as low as $120. I have used one for quite a few years and have been satisfied with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015040838?pid=348661

drover
Thanks guys!

Yeah, but he has to swim to the damn target... Ha ha.. Nice shooting Jackmountain. Looks like a great and peaceful place to shoot.. That's like some Navy training there. Air land and sea... My dad was a seabee, he would have loved it...
Originally Posted by K22

Ya, those Hoppes rests are a bit wobbly. Here's one that I have that works good. Price is more now than when I bought mine 10 or so years ago.
Front Rest
I use a hand towel folded once over the leather rest. It does seem to snug the forearm in and on lightweight rifles helps with the repeatable accuracy.

I'm not going to bad mouth the Hoppe's front rest. I have a couple of them. One thing you need to do to make them more stable is keep one of the legs facing in the direction you are shooting, as seen here in these pics:
If you'll notice, yours is cocked off to the side/diagonally. That makes it "wobbly".
Your front bag should also match up to the size of the forend your rifle has. Here's another front rest I have that I use for one of my AR's, because its lower and compliments that rifle better:

Here's another one of my Hoppe's front rests in action:
However, notice how the bag is too big for the forend of the Tikka... It's not a good match. The reason I have a couple Hoppes front rests and the bigger one I showed with the AR15..

On my short table (portable bench), I have to turn one of the legs of the front rest towards me for room. With it orientated in this position, it is still stable.

This is what the 52 did that day:

Thanks for playing along Jackmountain. I look forward to seeing how your Tikka shoots too. Good luck with your front rest situation. If it's "wobbly" because its worn out (the jacking screw or something), get rid of it and buy a new one...
Posted By: PennDog Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/26/21
Thats really good shooting Jackmountain - this is not as “easy” as it looks. It definitely is humbling but like I think we are all finding out in that humbling experience we are also learning a great deal about our equipment, technique and environmental variables. I’m looking forward to more shooting adventures as soon as I can get back out!

PennDog
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/26/21
BSA,

A hand towel/terrycloth folded once with take up that space under the Tikka you show in your photo.
Originally Posted by K22
BSA,

A hand towel/terrycloth folded once with take up that space under the Tikka you show in your photo.

Yep, that works too and a great suggestion for a guy that only has one front rest. But I have other front rests that work better. How's the weather been from you guys? I'm in Nevada right now and there is a lot of snow. A lot of blowing and drifting snow, so no good for shooting.
Thats really good shooting Jackmountain - this is not as “easy” as it looks. It definitely is humbling but like I think we are all finding out in that humbling experience we are also learning a great deal about our equipment, technique and environmental variables. I’m looking forward to more shooting adventures as soon as I can get back out!

PennDog

No doubt…. Shoot 5 shot groups, every other group you get a “flyer” but you still have quite a few pretty little groups to look at at the end of the day.
Being consistent 20 times in a row is definitely a little harder, at least for me. The ergos on the Anschutz stock are so much better than the KRG.
Posted By: K22 Re: Precision rimfire shoot - 12/27/21
Originally Posted by K22
BSA,

Yep, that works too and a great suggestion for a guy that only has one front rest. But I have other front rests that work better. How's the weather been from you guys? I'm in Nevada right now and there is a lot of snow. A lot of blowing and drifting snow, so no good for shooting.

I regretting posting that having read where you have multiple bags. Sorry.
Lately the weather has been warm, to warm for Dec. Yesterday it was in the high 60's and will be the rest of this week with lots of rain.
I should have gotten out and shot some more of your targets, but instead was working up a load for the 223.
Snow would be nice, not blowing snow though. I love to Coyote hunt and snow helps.
© 24hourcampfire