-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think since the eye relief on these scopes is so small and the scope moves forward upon firing, it helps to keep it from whacking you..
Phil

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That, and remember when these scopes were designed. A century ago internal scope adjustment was crude and very limited in travel. Also, it's easier to make a simple telescope without internal adjustment, allowing the maker to concentrate on the important stuff like optics. Another feature that some people don't get is that the adjustment knobs are actually micrometers and as such are precisely repeatable: make note of the windage and elevation settings, swap the scope onto a different rifle and then eventually back to the first rifle, re-set the knobs according to your notes and presto you're right back on target.A fella can theoretically make do with but one scope for all his rifles that way. (But like everything else in a rifle loonie's life, more is better!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Some may point to the inherent fragility of an arrangement like this. 'Tain't necessarily so. The Marines utilized the Unertl target scope on their M1903 sniper rifle, through the Pacific War and into Korea. 'Nuff said.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Thanks for the info. Like I said, I know very little about the older scopes. I've never owned an externally adjusted one. That actually seems kind of slick, just being able to swap scopes and not have to fiddle with much re-zeroing. As someone who doesn't run many scopes, I can definitely see the upside there.

I am guessing the biggest downside is the adjustable bases are pretty pricey?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The adjustable rings generally come with the scope, the rings are not easily removed from the scope. For the most part these scopes, depending on power, sell from $500 to $800, adjustable rings included. Most commonly encountered are Unertl, Lyman Super Targetspot, and Fecker. Everyone has their own favorite but thery are all good.
Phil

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You're right, and I can't say I have a favorite, Phil. I use all that you mentioned.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Ah, so you just pull the scope and bases/rings as a whole unit, then just set them to whatever your zero was on a given rifle.

I like this idea.... sorta makes me wonder why this style faded away.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good question. Not sure I know the answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bases stay on each rifle, the rings slide off the base once you loosen a thumb screw on each ring.

Last edited by TenX; 12/21/21.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
More beautiful rifles, great shooting and learning even more!! I’m also glad you started this thread and event bsa1917hunter!!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 12/21/21.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks PennDog. There are some great rifles and shooters in this thread. Good information on what works too. Its helpful to me and I hope others as well. Thanks for participating and showing some of your great rifles. It is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks PennDog. There are some great rifles and shooters in this thread. Good information on what works too. Its helpful to me and I hope others as well. Thanks for participating and showing some of your great rifles. It is much appreciated.

I missed this somehow. Printed your targets and going to try it out Friday.
Just got my T1X dropped into a Bravo this week. Try it and my Anschutz 1407R. Maybe a 541T and 513T too.
Thanks for starting this BSA.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle buddy. I'll bet it is a shooter. Those Tikka's are pretty impressive. Good luck if you give this a try. Use some good ammo...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I need to thank you for starting this thread also bsa. It has inspired me to get out more with my rimfires than I have lately. I was even motivated to do a little work on my Kimber Classic trigger to see if I could better my target score and when the weather warms up a little I'll be testing that out.
Rimfires, actually accurate sporter rimfires, have always been a huge interest of mine. This started back when I was a young boy and was given a Belgium Browning T-Bolt for Christmas, then later in life with a Kleingunther K22.
As usual, through the years I have gotten off track from my rimfire love and going to centerfire sporter rifles. As I've reached the age I am now and have shortened my working to parttime, cash flow is much more fixed now and rimfires are coming back into focus.
So thank you BSA for bringing me back full circle.

as a side note: Thank you Penndog for sparing my savings account. laugh

Merry Christmas to all.

K22

Last edited by K22; 12/23/21.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by K22
I need to thank you for starting this thread also bsa. It has inspired me to get out more with my rimfires than I have lately. I was even motivated to do a little work on my Kimber Classic trigger to see if I could better my target score and when the weather warms up a little I'll be testing that out.
Rimfires, actually accurate sporter rimfires, have always been a huge interest of mine. This started back when I was a young boy and was given a Belgium Browning T-Bolt for Christmas, then later in life with a Kleingunther K22.
As usual, through the years I have gotten off track from my rimfire love and going to centerfire sporter rifles. As I've reached the age I am now and have shortened my working to parttime, cash flow is much more fixed now and rimfires are coming back into focus.
So thank you BSA for bringing me back full circle.

as a side note: Thank you Penndog for sparing my savings account. laugh

Merry Christmas to all.

K22

We seem to have a lot of common interests K22 (along with the others on this thread) and sporter .22s definitely have my attention. This thread, like many here, have made me get these rifles out, dust them off and learn a pile (amazing how much we can learn if we pay attention😄!!).

BTW K22 - no problem sparing your bank account - you’ve spared mine a few times😁👍).

……and Merry Christmas to all!!

PennDog

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Humbling. Can’t blame it on the rifle or the wind because there was none
Anschutz 1407 repeater by Chesebro. Remington Match EPS. Did about the same with SK standard. Didn’t post pics of my Tikka target, first time out with the Bravo and honestly I shot it better with the factory stock.

Definitely need to get back to shooting more often….

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll add, I much prefer the 10x SS with the standard mil quad reticle I have on my Annie over the 3-15x with the mil quad DM that has a diamond with a dot in the center that’s on my Tikka.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice. I especially like the fact you can drive right up to the shooting bench.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Very nice. I especially like the fact you can drive right up to the shooting bench.

It’s the driveway into my place. I pull the bench up onto the driveway to get enough height to shoot over the damn cattails in my pond, LOL.
Just shopping for a decent front rest. That old wobbly Hoppes sure isn’t helping my game….

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

It’s the driveway into my place. I pull the bench up onto the driveway to get enough height to shoot over the damn cattails in my pond, LOL.
Just shopping for a decent front rest. That old wobbly Hoppes sure isn’t helping my game….

Ya, those Hoppes rests are a bit wobbly. Here's one that I have that works good. Price is more now than when I bought mine 10 or so years ago.
Front Rest
I use a hand towel folded once over the leather rest. It does seem to snug the forearm in and on lightweight rifles helps with the repeatable accuracy.

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10gaugemag, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,631
Posts18,512,079
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.