Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by m1919

Another with the 52B and Midas+

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I knew you would play along with us. Good shooting too buddy. I was prepping for my know your limits shoot tomorrow and I shot my 10-22. My score sucked. You know it amazes me that I can shoot a one hole freaking group and then on this shoot its all over the place. Ha ha.. That's why I wanted to start this thread, to see if others have the same trouble. A lot of these guys are shooting straight up damn good, with no trouble at all!!!! I need to get my hands on some good ammo!!! I took pictures at the range with my phone again, but the damn thing takes forever to send to my email. I'll see them around 1 tomorrow morning. I will post up my ugly target though. Just to make you feel better. I can take a picture with my camera real quick and then upload to imgur.

bsa1917hunter,
When you figure out how it's possible to shoot one hole groups but are all over the place when shooting the single dot targets please let me know. LOL .. My Remington Squirrel rifle seems to do the same thing as your 10-22. Guess I'll get out one of the Sako's and the Mauser 201 and see if they do the same thing.
I was looking over a target I shot with the Rem. Custom and noticed that if you place one of the 1/2" dots over the targets I've shot it then becomes clear that while the multiple shots into one "hole" looks good it does extend a bit past the 1/2" dots. Looking at the target I've posted below you can see what I'm talking about.
The target below was shot for a contest where you fired 50 rds at the same target. I used 5 rounds of the 50 to rezero the scope so the crosshairs wouldn't cover up the group. Made that mistake earlier on when shooting the same contest. Ended up with no way to find the center of the bulls eye because of the bullet holes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PennDog
😄…….I think I could get along with you guys! Nice rifles (and handguns Fiddy!) guys…..now your gonna make me do it……I have a very early ES350b that has no rear sight and I managed to attach an older Fecker scope but since found and appropriate receiver sight - may have to switch and Fiddy if my eyes were any good I could use my irons - but I can’t even see those dots at 50 (ouch) without “help” let alone the whole “right mind” thing!!

Certifiable maybe have to add my Mm410b also??

Actually getting curious as to how they may do with top shelf ammo?!

Should have a little more time this week - man this is fun!!

PennDog

p.s. Fiddy I didn’t even notice that was an MS350b - SWEET!!

PennDog

We'd love to see those Mausers when you break them out....scoped or otherwise.

I too have considered putting period optics on one but love em just fine as they are.

We shoot a broad range of 22s and love all flavors....but those Mausers are something to behold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
😄…….I think I could get along with you guys! Nice rifles (and handguns Fiddy!) guys…..now your gonna make me do it……I have a very early ES350b that has no rear sight and I managed to attach an older Fecker scope but since found and appropriate receiver sight - may have to switch and Fiddy if my eyes were any good I could use my irons - but I can’t even see those dots at 50 (ouch) without “help” let alone the whole “right mind” thing!!

PennDog

I can't take credit, those particular handguns aren't mine, although I do suffer their kin.

It would be nice to say I was shooting those little red dots at 50 yards open sights, but it'd be a lie. I just got the 350b recently and was checking function before I even thought about a scope. The gun did great on steel up to 50 yards, so its time to mount a scope and put some good ammo through it.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
M1919 - that is quite a collection of fantastic .22s!! and Fiddy those Mauser's sure can shoot - I have had some of my better days shooting those in iron sight matches and would think they could keep up with any quality .22 - wish my eyes could take advantage of that - I'll have to try and get that ES350b back up with the scope attached and see!!

....and K22 my Mauser 201 today reflects what you were talking about - shot about a 3/8" group sighting in for the score target and then proceeded to shoot a 70 eek I rarely miss a squirrel with this rifle but its usually less than fifty and the head is a little bigger than these dots laugh. Although my EXCUSE is the scope is my favorite Leupold 6X compact with Leupold Dot which was larger than the target dot and by the time I figure out what my sight picture should be I was just about done - although that doesn't explain that last shot!!

Next was an Anschutz 1710 with 6..5-20X EFR did pretty good and I pulled the one for sure the other one??

Last today was a Remington Model 37 with Redfield 3200 (16X)

Pretty sure based on the Mauser that my favorite squirrel rifles will probably be in that 70 range - but we will see grin

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 10/10/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice going penndog! I like your Remington 37 and it sure seems to shoot

Nice Annie too

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Love those rifles Penn...great shooting!

Thanks to bsa for putting this out here. I had a pretty dismal day but that happens

The T1x was put out of commission due a bad lot of ammo. Didn't have a rod on hand so had get it home to remove the 17 grain obstruction. I'll sent a note off to Winchester and see what they say

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting, Penn. Nice rifles!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Love those rifles Penn...great shooting!

Thanks to bsa for putting this out here. I had a pretty dismal day but that happens

The T1x was put out of commission due a bad lot of ammo. Didn't have a rod on hand so had get it home to remove the 17 grain obstruction. I'll sent a note off to Winchester and see what they say

Sorry to hear that man. I just bought some of that a few weeks ago. Damn.. Hopefully it didn't hurt the rifle.. I ran 2 boxes through my A17, but I did not like how it shot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

PennDog

PennDog

We'd love to see those Mausers when you break them out....scoped or otherwise.

I too have considered putting period optics on one but love em just fine as they are.

We shoot a broad range of 22s and love all flavors....but those Mausers are something to behold.

Damn fine collection there buddy. All of you guys have been busy with this thread. Some beautiful rifles and excellent shooting.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by robertham1
Springfield 1922M1 with a 10x Lyman shooting TAC Match

It does my heart good to see some old warhorse 52's and Springfield making the new upstarts look back over their shoulders!😁

Me too. You got to give those vudoo's credit though. They shoot damn well. Sometimes I wish I had an era correct scope for my 52.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks guys and as I’ve said before this is opening my eyes to a bunch of things I’ve never given much thought - heck of a learning experience!!

M1919 - be interested to see what Winchester has to say? And glad no one was hurt!!

PennDog

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Would it be kosher to color the spots over black with a sharpie? I was gonna take a crack at it with my old iron sighted 9422 the other day, just to see how much I could embarrass myself, but I couldn't see the spots down the sights from 50... guess I'm getting old 😬

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by zcm82
Would it be kosher to color the spots over black with a sharpie? I was gonna take a crack at it with my old iron sighted 9422 the other day, just to see how much I could embarrass myself, but I couldn't see the spots down the sights from 50... guess I'm getting old 😬

Just change your printer setting to black and white and the dots will print as black. I did this for a couple of targets to see which would work best for my eyes.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I did print in b/w but they are more of a gray than black.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drover

Just change your printer setting to black and white and the dots will print as black. I did this for a couple of targets to see which would work best for my eyes.

drover

If you can even see those small dots at 50 yards, you guys have much better eyes than I do. I've been playing with my new savage target rifle and shot at 2 1" dots:

That's about the smallest dot I can see at 50 yards through iron sights. And even then I was using an aperture front, which helps. There's a guy at my club that can shoot 1/2" targets with his old mossberg target rifle. For chidts and giggles he was practicing on the know your limits targets and has actually hit the 1/4" target a few times as well. Not just the 1/4", but ran them all the way from the 2" to the 1/4". I was pretty impressed. Needless to say, in the actual event I tried and only hit 3. Ha ha.. That is only making it to the 1 1/2" target. Missed the 1" target...
This picture sucks, but not too far off from how I see them. ha ha.. Here's how the new savage target rifle does with cheap ammo on a good day:
That was the only group I shot with that rifle, on Saturday, but needed to check to see if it was still zeroed in. I shot it once in the KYL shoot, just for fun.. I'm glad to see you guys shooting this event. Its been a lot of fun. If you are up to using your iron sighted rifles, you can give it a shot. I wouldn't be able to, but good luck to those that attempt it.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I can't see them in gray, either, so it's not just you 😂. I can hit 1" black dots with it most of the time, but I've never tried 1/2" before. I can just barely see a 1" black dot at 100yds in good light, my eyes aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago. Not expecting great results, but I figured I'd give it a shot, anyway.

I robbed my Williams 5d off it to put on an air rifle earlier this year, and just replaced it with a Marble's 95 the other day when I took that picture since I couldn't find a lowline Williams in stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can't see them in gray, either, so it's not just you 😂. I can hit 1" black dots with it most of the time, but I've never tried 1/2" before. I can just barely see a 1" black dot at 100yds in good light, my eyes aren't as good as they were 10-15 years ago. Not expecting great results, but I figured I'd give it a shot, anyway.

I robbed my Williams 5d off it to put on an air rifle earlier this year, and just replaced it with a Marble's 95 the other day when I took that picture since I couldn't find a lowline Williams in stock.

Good luck if you do try. I know one problem I had at my clubs recent know your limits shoot, is keeping track of which one was next. A single 1" dot by itself is a much easier target. Good luck, if you attempt it. Sounds like your eyes are much better than mine, which doesn't surprise me.

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Thanks, I'll end up posting the results, no matter how embarassing. I'm not as good a shot with notch and blade as I am with a peep. Who knows, maybe I'll set the record for lowest score for the event 😏 Looks like I won't be getting around to it for a few days, though. It has been raining here since yesterday afternoon, and doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well crap. It could have been the guy shooting the F class .284 two benches down who was either breaking in a barrel or trying to wear it out. Even wearing double hearing protection it was loud. Hard to say at the rate he was shooting that braked thing so pulled the last shot and put another down there to show it was possible. I'll try again later.

Rifle was the 1955 Martini International MK II with a Weaver T36 and the Midas plus.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pugs,
how does that martini action remove the brass from the chamber? Is there an extractor included in the mechanisim or an ejector?
Very cool looking rifle and its a shooter for sure. I remember a good article Ross Seifreid did on a wildcat cartridge using a Martini he rescued. I have always wanted to shoot one after reading that.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1936M71, 219 Wasp, 257 roberts, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.