Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Semiconductor shortage that has hobbled manufacturing worldwide is getting worse
Washington Post
September 23, 2021

The global semiconductor shortage that has paralyzed automakers for nearly a year shows signs of worsening, as new coronavirus infections halt chip assembly lines in Southeast Asia, forcing more car companies and electronics manufacturers to suspend production.

A wave of delta-variant cases in Malaysia, Vietnam and the Philippines is causing production delays at factories that cut and package semiconductors, creating new bottlenecks on top of those caused by soaring demand for chips.

Underscoring that the problem has defied easy solutions, the White House on Thursday held its second summit in five months with semiconductor manufacturers and buyers, in part to gain more clarity on the scope of the crisis, senior administration officials said.

Attendees included senior executives from Intel, General Motors, Ford, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung and two dozen other companies, as well as Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo and National Economic Council Director Brian Deese.

Frustration has mounted on all sides. Automakers want semiconductor companies to crank out more chips for cars. Smartphone companies do not want their semiconductors diverted to automakers. Chip manufacturers say the auto industry shot itself in the foot by canceling semiconductor orders after the covid crisis hit. They are also impatient for Congress to approve $52 billion in federal subsidies to boost domestic semiconductor manufacturing. That measure, supported by the White House, has cleared the Senate but not the House.

The Biden administration, meanwhile, says that while it can play a supporting role, it expects the private sector to take the lead in sorting out the crisis.

“It’s on industry to come up with the solutions here and to identify some of the path forward,” one of the administration officials said Wednesday, speaking on the condition of anonymity to preview Thursday’s meeting.

At the meeting, Raimondo asked companies to fill out questionnaires to clarify how much supply and demand there really is in the market, and said the administration would consider invoking the Defense Production Act to compel them to provide the information if they don’t comply, a Commerce Department spokeswoman said, confirming a Bloomberg News report.

The administration wants the information to address a big problem: Manufacturers are placing chip orders larger than what they actually need because they’re concerned suppliers won’t fill the entire order, industry executives say. That makes it hard for semiconductor factories to know what they must supply to meet real, short-term needs — and how much they should invest in new production lines. The administration also wants the information to determine whether some chip buyers are hoarding supplies.

Also known as computer chips, semiconductors are the brains behind modern electronics. Demand for the components is soaring as more consumer goods become computerized, but supply is scarce because semiconductor factories are extremely expensive and time-consuming to build.

Pat Gelsinger, the chief executive of Intel, the U.S.'s largest chip maker, has said he expects shortages to last into 2023. Others say it could last through the end of that year.

“The chip shortage continues to get worse and at this point we’re going to go through 2023,” said Ambrose Conroy, founder of Seraph Consulting, which is advising car companies on the crisis.

Automakers, which rely on dozens of chips to build a single vehicle, have been particularly hard hit, forced to halt production lines globally as they await chip supplies. The debacle is likely to cost the auto industry $450 billion in global sales from the start of the crisis through the end of 2022, according to Seraph Consulting.

Martin Daum, chief executive of the Daimler AG division that makes trucks and buses, described the problem as intensifying.

“Until the second quarter we were able to manage the situation quite well at Daimler Truck,” Daum said Wednesday. “But since summer the semiconductor situation has worsened for us. Our production in Germany and the U.S. was affected, which led to a situation in which we could deliver fewer vehicles to our customers.”

Even automakers such as Toyota and Hyundai, which planned for potential shortages and initially managed to avoid crippling shutdowns, are starting to encounter problems.

Toyota this month was forced to slash production at 14 factories in Japan over a lack of semiconductors. Some of the cuts will continue into October due to a lack of components from Southeast Asia, Toyota has said.

Ford and General Motors in recent months have been suspending production for weeks at a time at more than a dozen North American factories. As a result, Ford this month said its U.S. sales declined by 33 percent in August compared with a year ago.

The list of attendees at the White House meeting — including the medical device maker Medtronic and the appliance manufacturer Siemens — shows how the problem is hurting industries beyond autos.

“This is having an impact all across the economy, with automobiles, yes, but even beyond that, into medical devices, networking equipment — we’re hearing regularly from companies that cannot get the supply they need,” one of the Biden administration officials said.

Administration officials said the United States is asking its embassies around the world to help monitor production problems at chip factories and to provide any technical assistance needed to keep them running.

“I applaud Secretary Raimondo for her leadership today in recognizing the current chip shortage requires both short and long-term solutions,” Tom Caulfield, chief executive of the U.S.-based chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries, said in an emailed statement after the meeting.

Some chipmakers have taken steps to help auto manufacturers. Taiwan’s TSMC, which produces a type of chip called a microcontroller that is widely used by automakers, said it is increasing output of the components by 60 percent this year compared with 2020.

GlobalFoundries is adding manufacturing equipment to a factory near Albany, N.Y., to increase output for all types of chips, and recently broke ground on a $4 billion expansion of its factory in Singapore, with financial support from the Singaporean government.

Globally, chip factories have increased their production capacity by 8 percent since early 2020 and plan to boost it by over 16 percent by the end of 2022, according to the U.S.-based Semiconductor Industry Association.

Global spending on semiconductor manufacturing equipment is likely to grow by more than 30 percent this year to $85 billion, showing that chipmakers are expanding production, according to C.J. Muse, a semiconductor analyst at Evercore ISI.

But that comes after chip companies had “underinvested over the last five years,” he said. Industry executives say investment has been particularly low in production lines for automotive chips because they are older-tech components that offer lower profits.

Some semiconductor companies are holding back on big domestic investments until the subsidy plan is signed into law. GlobalFoundries has said it will double output at its New York site by building a new facility there if the subsidies come through.

Intel on Friday will break ground on two new chip factories in Arizona, on which it plans to spend $20 billion.

In an emailed statement after the White House meeting, Intel CEO Gelsinger urged the House to pass the subsidy legislation.

“Many industries are challenged as we face a global shortage of semiconductors and we appreciate the Biden administration’s efforts to help. But make no mistake; the answer to this problem is to increase manufacturing capacity for American chipmaking," he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...st-automakers/

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a mess for sure. Elon Musk commented last week that he expects the problem to resolve itself shortly: that everybody has been over ordering and that the actual supply situation is pretty close to in balance.

In other words, fugging hoarders.......

Time will tell.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
My brother was good friends with Steve Appleton the former CEO of Micron. Steve died in a plane crash a few years back but he used to always tell my brother that America would one day regret letting the Asians take over all the chip manufacturering. He said they used all kinds of dirty and unfair trade practices to steal the market.

Steve said the Korean, the Taiwanese, and Chinese governments all heavily subsidized their own manufacturing in a coordinated way to squeeze out American manufacturers.

I did a little work for a company called Zilog I'm San Jose in 2004 that made microprocessors etc. People there always talked about the deals Clinton cut with the assigns that was destroying US chip manufacturers.

I just wonder if my new F150 will ever get here. It went into production August 9th and was supposed to be here August 22nd. They keep moving the delivery time back now stating Oct 7th. It's probably parked in the lot at ford's old chip fab waiting for some little 16 pin processor from Taiwan.

Bb

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
All those crypto miners

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
All those crypto miners

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
How long can dealers stay in business like this?

Or manufacturers?

Add the unheard of shortages in virtually every other market in the world today, and we are rapidly headed towards a primitive world.

A liberal/Marxist/globalist wet dream.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This is the canary in the coal mine for many things that "used" to be made in the good ole USA. Complex systems are hard to fix when they fail. Today we are talking about items we can not get built. Tommorow we will be talking about items we cannot fix. All this lean manufacturing and just in time inventory to squeeze a few nickles out for this quarters income statement does not square well with mission critical activities.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
This is the canary in the coal mine for many things that "used" to be made in the good ole USA. Complex systems are hard to fix when they fail. Today we are talking about items we can not get built. Tommorow we will be talking about items we cannot fix. All this lean manufacturing and just in time inventory to squeeze a few nickles out for this quarters income statement does not square well with mission critical activities.

100% agree

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just like our energy needs, relying on foreign sources for mission critical goods is a fool's errand. But our manufacturers seek out the cheapest goods in order to maximize profits. And with the US once again becoming uncompetitive due to rising taxes and regulations, more manufacturers will be forced to move and increasingly rely on shaky foreign markets.

But at the end of the day, it's the US consumer that is getting screwed and the current clown show in Washington could care less.

Elections have consequences...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Sounds just like the ammo and reloading components situation.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Underscoring that the problem has defied easy solutions, the White House on Thursday held its second summit in five months with semiconductor manufacturers and buyers, in part to gain more clarity on the scope of the crisis, senior administration officials said.
That should be useful when the head man's internal computer chip is so corroded and failing badly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
All those crypto miners

That's a good point, I hadn't thought about that.

Bb

They use a very set of specialized chips. They are probably more limited by electricity than chips.

Most automakers use microcontrollers in large quantities. These are very high volume low end chips comparatively.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Chinese are using them t build ICBMs

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Sounds just like the ammo and reloading components situation.

I'm still not convinced this is market driven. I believe it is contrived somehow. I have no outright evidence, I'm just a deep cynic now a days.

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No shortage. A lot of shortsighted manufacturers cutback and even cancelled their orders. Chip manufacturers sold the chips elsewhere, often at a discount. Now all the shortsighted people are crying about a shortage. JIT equals your supply problem, not the manufacturers' problem.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
"The Warden"s truck has been down with a bad computer in the brake system since February.
Mechanic couldn't get his hands on a replacement, but finally found a repair outfit.
Should be back any time, now. I hope!

Things that make women "Snarly"

No lights
No heat
No water
Being afoot (recently added) smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds to me like another tool to collapse economies for "The Great Reset"
https://www.weforum.org/great-reset

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
It also dont help when ya got 60 65 cargo ships filled up with what the fu ck ever sitting off the port of Long Beach waiting to be unloaded.
And the stupid azz union can't work on sundays or even lift a finger to manage their work force to run 24/7 365.
Gawd forbid that.......

Yep, that aint got nothing to do with it all either and the backed up logistics nightmare it creates in distribution of goods across the continent.

Never let a good crisis go to waste to up prices and make Benjamins.
World fu cking wide.......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
Tommorow we will be talking about items we cannot fix.

Don't think you'll be able to run down to O'Reilly's and get a failed chip for your 30 year old pickup in 30 years?

It is funny here at work, watching robots that were installed 10 years ago and cutting edge tech sit idle for weeks (on lines that need to run 6 days a week) because they can't get a Fanuc tech out to look at it on a robot that they basically say is obsolete and they no longer support. Meanwhile, the old 1 horse motor with a gearbox and a chain running a shaft is just sitting over there running happy as a clam. Technology is wonderful, until it isn't.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
It seems to me that this situation would have happened regardless of Covid. There has been underinvestment in the production capacity for years leading up to this. The auto chips are low end products with small margins and the new models are increasing computerized. The auto companies are notoriously tight fisted with suppliers and were not willing to shoulder any of the cost for new manufacturing capacity. Like any business, the chip producers are going to go with what is most profitable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.