1Minute
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
I have 4WD- I can go anywhere..... smile

That said, I had a Lab that looked askance at me for awhile when told to get in the boat after a couple incidents. First I hit a hidden underwater stump which turned the boat 90 degrees and rammed the bank, sending the dog butt over teakettle over the bow. A few days later we were heading up the Tanana (big nasty river) when the lift broke and the outboard dropped low into the water , with just the powerhead above water. I couldn't do anything there, so we idle- eased from mid-river to a sandbar on shore where I could detach everything and re-mount the motor directly on the boat.

The whole time getting over there the dog paced up and down the boat. When the bow was about 8 feet from shore, the dog made a flying leap to shore, ran 20 feet up the bar and threw himself down under a spruce with a big relieved sigh.

No trust...... smile

Hahaha. Great Campfire story, Las. Got a great laugh out of that. Thanksfor letting us know about that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tcb22
"So you mean the 2021 Ford Bronco can't go everywhere?"
Looks to me like she put it a few places no other 4wd would go.

Oh, it can go places most folks dont want to go.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Woman: C’mon boy! Hop in and we’ll go for a ride.

Dog: Oh! Hell No!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is that the big Bronco or is it the little Bronco Sport ?

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
1972/ coming back from a stint at Yakama, WA firing range driving thru Snowquamy (?) Pass. I saw tire marks pointed at the ledge then more tire marks heading to the outside edge. People getting out of their cars. Me too. 200 feet +- drop and on the bottom was a car and three people showing but not moving. Yada-yada-yada on the road so I headed down. One woman with a sliced bloody head moaning on the ground (mom) a child girl (daughter laying beside a large square rock. the rock looked like it had sooked oatmeal blobs all over it. The young girl didn't have much of her skull left. There was another woman hanging out of the driver's door locked in place with the seat belt. (Grandmother) Mother started moaning-yelling. I hollered up the rocks to get blankets and medkit from my car trunk.
a couple of people brought them down. one blanked rolled and put under the mom's feet then covered her with the other blanket. Both military green issues.
the woman evidently knew her daughter was dead and she kept talking about that but she was obviously in trouble. Large skin slice from above her right eyebrow to somewhere back on her head. Got a bunch of pads and covered the skin rip and applied pressure with the lady yelling all the time. State trooper way up on the road yelling questions. I asked one of the guys standing around to apply pressure to the pads to reduce bleeding but not hard pressure. the trooper and I yelled back and for a bit. Ambulance had been called. I stood there and couldn't stand the sight of grandmother hanging out of the car so I went over, cut the seat belt, and laid her beside the car. the girl was on the ground somewhat out of sight so I left her alone. The trooper said there was an ambulance on its way so I told the guy holding down the pads I was heading out. Not an easy walk getting back up to the road. I wasn't sick but there was this terrible feeling inside of me and when I got near the car I started to shake. I didn't cry but my brain wanted to and I shook like I had chills. It was a long drive to Ft. Lewis and most of my inner feelings had slowed down. it was days before my trauma was gone but the experience lingered from time to time.

I've not talked about this over the years and not as much as here. It has brought back those feelings and I sit here with tears forming.

So people who go through a terrible vehicle accident carry that with them for a long time and perhaps their feelings depend on the kind of accident and how everyone made out.

Another time in my life I had an opportunity to cut free a guy trapped in a turned-over car with gasoline dripping in. Once he was out I became pissed with him because he was drunk. I didn't have serious feelings about him but felt good with myself for what I had done. Two accidents years apart with much different mental after-feelings.

So what is my point? It bothered me to see that car and everyone quickly shifting so easily away from what could have been a tragedy.
People who go through a serious accident may or may not carry an uncomfortable memory depending on the experience. I think someone who makes it through a serious crash will carry the experience forever. Not all the time but from time to time when something triggers the memory.

I do recognize that someone who has never been through a life-threatening accident would not have the same deep feelings as someone who has.

Huh, I didn't realize that until just now. I do see this a bit differently now but nonetheless, please have some feeling for a person who may have gone through a vehicle life-threatening experience. That car brought back 1972 like a video.

Samchap

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"The dog wont ride in a car with her again"
That's a perfect title for this article.
It's a miracle that she survived.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Linked in that same article, the outcome of that other tumble off of Black Bear Pass we talked about here.....

https://www.durangoherald.com/artic...-few-steps-8-months-after-jeep-rollover/

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We were just there last week, visiting our son, but we took other, less technical passes in and out. Black Bear is on his bucket list, but he wisely chose to hold off with his mother along. It's certainly beautiful country, but the $25.00 hamburgers don't do anything for me.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Apparently the engine wasn't wearing a seatbelt either.

Hahaha. For sure. I wonder if the girl was.

Article said she was not.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.