Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Need a high quality spotting scope. Money is not the deciding factor. Swarovski. Zeiss, …….??
Probably a variable. Suggestions?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Depends on what you’re going to do with it. 50mm-65mm is a popular choice if you plan on using it on backpack hunts, if weight and size isn’t a consideration, then 85-95mm will give higher performance.
I use a Kowa Prominar 77mm with 20-60x variable eyepiece and I feel it’s the perfect compromise.

Last edited by mod7rem; 09/27/21.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Won’t be backpacking so no issue there. Light gathering is important for early morning/late evening glassing.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi,

To me, a Meopta Meostar S2. As good as the L, S, and Z, at a lower price.
For the best: KOWA TSN99, if money or weight are not issues. Or the KOWA TSN880, slightly smaller.

Good luck!

PH

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If money and weight are not deciding factors, the swaro 95 is pretty incredible. I’ve heard the 115 is even more so.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Willl do Doug. Was planning on it when we make up our mind. Thanks for all your support.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm sold on Kowa Prominar optics, whether Genesis binos or TSN spotters. The TSN-553/4 is a spectacular optic in a lightweight compact size. Since size and weight are not a concern, I would go with a TSN-883/4 or a
TNS-773/4. I have no time behind the new TSN-99A/S, but I'm sure it will astound. Don't let their prices fool you. The image quality is as good, (I think better), than any of the euro alphas, as good as they are. You can spend more money, but you won't buy better optics.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 09/28/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Let me second (or third) the recommendation for the Kowa Prominar 880 and 99 series. Kowa is the only manufacturer to make spotting scopes with pure fluorite crystal glass.

I do not have a Prominar 880/99; I have had my 82SV for many years and it's been to a lot of competitions and has traveled quite bit. I have looked through the 880 many times at different venues and the image is superb. The contrast and color fidelity are breathtaking. I allocate my sports optics funds for riflescopes so I have not purchased one of these beauties because the 82SV does exactly what I need for reading conditions. If I wanted the best IQ out of a spotting scope, it would be the Kowa Prominar above anything else; the 99 series is now an object of desire. Imagine a 99mm fluorite crystal glass element. Wow.

One other thing I really like about Kowa is the fact they have all the accessories for proper digiscoping and that further enhances their spotting scope offerings.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 09/28/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi,

To me, a Meopta Meostar S2. As good as the L, S, and Z, at a lower price.
For the best: KOWA TSN99, if money or weight are not issues. Or the KOWA TSN880, slightly smaller.

Good luck!

PH

This. I owned the S2 and Kowa 884 at the same time, and had them side by side on tripods many times hunting mule deer and at the range, trying to decide which one to keep. I settled on the S2. I couldn't tell much difference at x's up to about 40, but at higher mags the S2 was marginally superior to my eyes, and the other guide's and hunter's eyes. Can't go wrong with either one, but I'd go with the one you get the best deal on.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If money was no object I would hands down without a doubt buy a Swarovski spotter, their warranty and customer service are 2nd to none and their optics are of the highest quality. I've got a pair of their bino's that i've owned for well over 20 years and I send them in to be cleaned and examined about once every couple of years and it has only ever cost me the price of shipping to them, they even sent them to Austria to get repaired and it didn't cost me a penny. I'm sold on them and will eventually have one of their spotters in the very near future.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I spent some time last week looking for sheep w/ a friend. I spent some time on his Swarvoski 30-70x95 w/ the BTX binocular eyepiece on a very good tripod, it was a religious experience. He is a dedicated hunter w/ deep pockets. i have never used a better spotter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd not want a Spotter,that wasn't wearing an etched FFP MilScale reticle. Hint..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would strongly suggest talking to Doug at Camera land. He is a wealth of knowledge and will help you make up your mind... Talk to him, digest what he says and call back in a day or 2 and buy. That's what I did. I got myself about 90% decided and called him. A few days later I called him and bought a Swarovski 85mm ATX. Simply awesome scope. In the near future I'll be calling to add the 115 to my arsenal.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Another recommendation for Kowa. Liked it better than Swarovski. Choose hat is best for your eyes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I spent some time last week looking for sheep w/ a friend. I spent some time on his Swarvoski 30-70x95 w/ the BTX binocular eyepiece on a very good tripod, it was a religious experience. He is a dedicated hunter w/ deep pockets. i have never used a better spotter.

mike r

I agree the BTX eyepiece is amazing, I would buy one instantly except for the fact that it is an angled. until they make a straight BTX I will have to get by with my Leica

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'd not want a Spotter,that was wearing an etched FFP MilScale reticle. Hint..........................

Sorry Lil Dick, I had to fix it for you !!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
buttcancer,

The melding of your "knowledge","experience" and "results" precludes your having a First Fhuqking Clue,but fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You CLUELESS Drooling Fhuqktards are a HOOT! Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.