Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Lots of guys walk around with an empty chamber and it starts a huge fight on here every time it is brought up.

I would chamber a round at the truck and put the safety on and, as always, follow all safety rules.

I guess I've managed to miss those posts over the years. Maybe this is my chance šŸ˜‚.

You sure have missed some funny chidt. Pull up a computer chair and a big bowl of popcorn. Things are about to get funny as schidt again... Here we go.....[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Honestly; after 10 years on the fire. I'm bout ready to hang it up. This place gets worse by the day. I've enjoyed a lot of good reading here over the years. Had excellent transactions in the classifieds, enjoyed forum conversations; but anymore I spend as much time weeding through the BS, as I do reading things that have any merit. Sure didn't use to be this way.

Now que up the "this isn't an airport, no need to announce your departure" jokes.

HR IC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Ky221]

They keyboard has made it way too easy to be a douchebag. It allows people to say things that they would never say face to face. My reading comprehension skills are just fine. The post was very vague as to what exactly transpired during the elk hunt. It very much sounded as if he was had an unloaded firearm, upon seeing the elk, tried to ease the bolt forward. When the bolt failed to go into battery he then sent the bolt home full force. Upon hearing this, the elk ran away.. That's exactly how it sounded to me and probably quite a few others.
--------------------------

KY

> -- It 'read' that way to me as well. You aren't the only one.-- >>

Sometimes we post what we are thinking but in reality the wording does not convey the actuality.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If one wants "100%" reliabily, you slam it shut at the truck. To ease it shut then bump it with the heel of your hand "might" work like a Forward Assist...the rifle is not "designed" that way. Of course, this can easily be determined at the range long before one goes hunting. Myself, when a weapon is on me or in my hands, its Hot, safety On. When I kill something, I "do not" open the bolt/unload for pictures. Its still Hot. The animal "could be dazed/knocked out" then revive and 2 legged or 4 legged predators could want my game also!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 09/27/21.
S
slm9s Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by borden811
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by slm9s
Why would you wait until you see a critter before you have a round chambered?

Exactly

I'm not sure how you gathered that he closed the bolt after he saw the elk. He closed the bolt as he entered the woods about two hours before he saw the elk! He just didn't know he had to pull it back and let it slam home to be functional. (and scare away any nearby game animal)

Maybe because of how ambiguous your post was? Just a guess

Seemed pretty clear to me what he meant. Then again, reading comprehension isnā€™t high on a lot of peopleā€™s priority list these days.

When the bolt failed to go into battery he then sent the bolt home full force. Upon hearing this, the elk ran away.. That's exactly how it sounded to me and probably quite a few others.

I never said anything about him sending the bolt home full force near the elk. Go read the first post again.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Exactly

I'm not sure how you gathered that he closed the bolt after he saw the elk. He closed the bolt as he entered the woods about two hours before he saw the elk! He just didn't know he had to pull it back and let it slam home to be functional. (and scare away any nearby game animal)

So let me get this straight. He never fired the gun before taking it to the woods? If so, what a fu cking idiot... I'll bet he shoots sub moa groups and there's a leupold on top too.. Cary on..

Nope. Iā€™m not even the OP, but itā€™s pretty easy to figure out thatā€™s not what heā€™s saying. Iā€™m 100% certain the gun was fired, sighted in, etc. before the hunt. Upon exiting the vehicle on the day of the hunt, the OPs father loaded the rifle, and eased the bolt shut. Later on in the hunt, he saw an elk, raised the rifle, and fired. That resulted in a ā€œclickā€, instead of a ā€œbangā€, and some curse words because the bolt wasnā€™t fully into battery. The OP said his dad claimed the only way to ensure the rifle will function is to let the bolt slam home, and scare all the game in the immediate area. Now, got post some 10 shot groups, and tell everyone else how bad their Leupolds and their shooting sucks. šŸ˜

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by borden811

Exactly

Maybe because of how ambiguous your post was? Just a guess

Seemed pretty clear to me what he meant. Then again, reading comprehension isnā€™t high on a lot of peopleā€™s priority list these days.

They keyboard has made it way too easy to be a douchebag. It allows people to say things that they would never say face to face. My reading comprehension skills are just fine. The post was very vague as to what exactly transpired during the elk hunt. It very much sounded as if he was had an unloaded firearm, upon seeing the elk, tried to ease the bolt forward. When the bolt failed to go into battery he then sent the bolt home full force. Upon hearing this, the elk ran away.. That's exactly how it sounded to me and probably quite a few others.

Well, my comment wasnā€™t directed towards you, but if you took offense to it, sorry. And youā€™re wrong, Iā€™d still say it in person. Iā€™m a sarcasm is my strong point.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lots of guys walk around with an empty chamber and it starts a huge fight on here every time it is brought up.

Yep and they're off and running!!! laugh This subject ought to run 10 pages! wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 760 and 7600 and I run the action like it owes me money so I chamber a round when I start hunting.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I have a 760 and 7600 and I run the action like it owes me money so I chamber a round when I start hunting.

+10. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yup that's right classic Biden voters " EMPTY CHAMBERS" empty heads and empty bowels wherever it suits you or want too.. bad potty training or never were boy scouts take your pick.

I would chamber a round at the truck and put the safety on and, as always, follow all safety rules.

Never thought I could agree with someone who lives in Ohio. Miracles do happen sheeit I m gonna go buy a lotto ticket. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol someone added to my post. But yes Ohio sucks.

S
slm9s Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll agree with regards to Youngstown St, Tressel, and tOSU!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I did the exact same thing on a whitetail with a BAR - and sold the gun after that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You no longer have to slam the bolt shut to make sure it is engaged on the new Bar's. They even have an index mark on the receiver opening so you can visibly see if it is or is not out of battery by the position of the bolt handle. Gentle push and it is in battery.

I have owned 1/2 dozen of the older ones and a new Bar Mark III.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Climbing a tree with a loaded rifle is a non-starter for me. I used to hunt with a Rem. 742. I would ease the bolt forward and then close it with a push of my thumb. Worked for me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If'n you can't walk around safely with one in the chamber, you and/or your rifle ain't worth a chit. And damn, I leave the sling on too. The horror. But, no scoping people to count points. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Boomer

I always have/use my sling too. Sometimes it comes in handy.

Never understood the aversion of some to using a sling.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's an eclectic mix of loonies.... grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
If'n you can't walk around safely with one in the chamber, you and/or your rifle ain't worth a chit. And damn, I leave the sling on too. The horror. But, no scoping people to count points. LOL

Uh Oh if Steelhead were still here he would strongly disagree with you. grin

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I even have barrel mounted slings on a couple... do I get extra horror points? šŸ˜

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.