Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Always used SFP on my hunting scopes....tell me why I should try a FFP set up. Its going a a Tikka T3X Roughtech in 6.5 PRC.........setting it up for longer range work .300-600 yards tops. Looking hard at the Bushnell
that GA precision has for about a grand! Any other suggestions??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quite simple. The reason for FFP in hunting scopes is, that any subtensions cover the same distance at any magnification.

You can use a FFP reticle for ranging - i.e. using the height of a deer chest from backline to breastbone bracketed in between the center and a coresponding mark - at (within reason) any magnifikation, whereas in SFP scopes, this only works on the highest magnification.

Within reason - because in the lower mags you just might not see the markings well enough to do ranging work, but the principle applies.

I do not know, which Bushnell GA has for a Grand, but the Bushnell LRHS were perfect.

How can you tell a product is perfect? Just watch - it will get discontinued.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks Ready, I appreciate the answer. Kind of what I thought but always looking to learn. Thanks again, Goodshot!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There are several specific reasons why FFP is advantageous, but put simply, a reticle with subtensions is a ruler that can both measure things of interest, and also can be used to put bullets in desirable places. It's handy when the (angular) spacing between markings on the ruler stays the same, rather than changing with magnification.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The model they show on the website is LRHS-2 4.5 x 18 x 44 G2H reticle. Made by LOW in Japan. Ihave a bunch of Elite 4200 & 4500 models, always been happy with those!

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Different strokes, but I use SFP scopes for hunting.

I don't care for christmas tree reticles, I just dial for long range shots. So the subtensions changing are not an issue for my use.

I can end up in dark thick timber, and do not like disappearing crosshairs at low power. Illumination helps this somewhat, but I still like to see the reticle.

A properly designed FFP reticle can help, but I sure wish I could make my own. It would have much bolder posts than the ones that are offered, and they would shrink out of view and not be a factor when turning up the power.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Second focal all the way. Tried the other and found no advantage, just disadvantage.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That pretty well describes my situation. There’s no place, either in the field or on a range I have access to, where I can shoot at over 300 yards, so ranging is of little use to me, but bold reticles, with small, fine center sections are. My SS 10x is a wonder for sighting in and adjusting at the range, but for hunting a reticle and a zero that lets me aim and shoot quickly gets it done. Actually, my hunting shots are almost always under 50 yards. Saturday’s opportunity is a good example. From first sighting to when my crossbow bolt hit at 40 yards was less than ten seconds, including a shift from right shoulder to left.

Open country, longer ranges, I can see where FFP would work well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FFP has no equal. Hint.

Now as the LRHS2,it ain't for me,due the zoom ratio,G2 reticle and lack of illumination. The LRTS/i in 3-12x G3 is vastly superior. Hint.

Top to bottom: 4.5-18x LRHSi G2,3-12x LRTSi G3,LRTS(non-illuminated) 3-12x G3, BTR Gen2 2-12x AHMR2. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The 4.5-18's are Big Bitches,whether LRHS/LRTS G2/G3. Hint.

The 3-12x LRTS/I's are farrrrrrrr more fhuqking forgiving across the course. That regarding eyebox,ease of acquisition,parallax control,size/weight and overall mannerisms. Hint.

The BTR Gen 2-12x is even sweeter yet and by quite a margin. 10yd parallax,SUPERIOR illumination,greater erector travel,more favorable size/length and overall friendlier mannerisms. It shares the LRTS/I's locking turrets and has a similar zero stop(which is more robust). It's essentially a Red Dot on 2x,with huge parallax control. No thang to stretch it,as per whim either. Hint.

I've got LOTS of rounds through the Bushies (LRHSi's,LRTSi's,LRTS's,DMR II's),but the BTR Gen2 2-12x is much more forgiving. Hint.

Just sayin'........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey Stick, did you weigh the stock on that carbon Mini? ( pardon the drift )

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goodshot
The model they show on the website is LRHS-2 4.5 x 18 x 44 G2H reticle. Made by LOW in Japan. Ihave a bunch of Elite 4200 & 4500 models, always been happy with those!

Good to go. It's a well-designed reticle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
For out to 600 yards, I'd lean 10x MQ SWFA myself.

But quite honestly, if the 24HCF has taught me anything about scopes, it's that every single one of us has our own preferences and you're just gonna have to figure out what works best for you and your eyes.

I don't mean that to distract from giving the next guy schidt for his choice so.....

Carry on.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pap',

Never did weigh components,but shoulda. I'll do so,when the Wayne's World metal floorplate arrives. Bare Rifle is 4lbs and 8 ounces,when chopped to 19",with a .595" diameter muzzle. Hint................

Jordan,

The G2 never worked for me,nor do I know anyone who could stomach same. Triply so,less Illlumination. Hint...............

Higgie,

I can like a 6x MQ out quite a ways beyond that. Hint.

What I'm reminded of here,is how VERY few folks actually fhuqking shoot. Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Higgie,

I can like a 6x MQ out quite a ways beyond that. Hint.

What I'm reminded of here,is how VERY few folks actually fhuqking shoot. Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

I can too if it's on steel, but a couple coyotes slinking through tall grass at 600 and my eyes are wishing I had a 10x anymore.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K.

That floorplate is nice stuff. When my grandson saw mine, he made me order one for his Mini.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Higginez
...My dyslexia is getting whores.....

Priceless!!
laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Jordan,

The G2 never worked for me,nor do I know anyone who could stomach same. Triply so,less Illlumination. Hint...............

Yeah, it seems like people either love it or hate it. I personally am quite fond of it. The bold posts, fine’ish crosshair, half MRAD hash marks, and donut of death all work well for me. Unlike the G3, it works for me without illumination because the posts are bold enough that I can easily see them on low magnification and in low light. The G3i is great, too. Illumination makes up for hash-mark posts and no donut of death. For precision work, I actually really like the fine center section of the non-illum G3, but that whole setup is a non-starter for me for a utility rig that’s used in low light in the brush.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Higgie,

A 10x will bite a guy farrrrr more often,than a 6x will and that seems to be something that folks gotta experience in the first hand to appreciate. Unless you are trying to talk me into one of them there BTR Gen2 FFP 2-12's,I keep hearing about?!? Hint.(grin)

I just might have to give one a whirl. Hint.

Laughing!..................

Pap',

This dust ain't doing the Covered Wagon Couriers any favors,but I'll be taking the plunge,upon it's arrival. Hint..................

Jordan,

Too much True Jungle here and once good Illumination is tasted,one cain't ever forget. Hint.

One of these days,I'll go through The Herd and gun reticle pics,if only for extrapolation. The BTR Gen2's illumination CRUSHES the LRHSi/LRTSi and it do same to the G2 reticle with power off. Hint...................

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To me, shooting and hunting are not the same. To me I have scopes that work well for my hunting (2nd FP) and some for shooting (FFP) For where I hunt and the typical distance I hunt, FFP is not a good option. Most shots around here are under 50 yards and after almost 50 years of deer hunting here in TN I can count on one hand the number of shots that were 100 yards or longer on one hand and have fingers left over.
If I lived out where more open country and longer shot are common, things might be different.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I called LSI to see if they’d sell me a stock, but no-go. They get the stock from Stocky’s, but they don’t sell it now either. Wayne’s stock goes 18oz, but are off the table until Spring.

While I had LSI on the phone I nagged them about SS and floorplates, but sounds like it ain’t happening in my lifetime.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.