Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have flirted with Savage pistols and rifles for awhile now and I have been able to find and purchase some nice guns. This last one is by far the best. This model 1907, made in 1910, was verified in a records search by Cody to be "Engraved A.” As many of you probably know, whether there were only 100 pistols engraved per Stern (echoed by Brower) or 200 as put forth by someone in this or another forum (I cannot find the post at the moment), these are very rare birds. I was very lucky to find this one. I have a few questions. The style of the engraving looked a little different from the very few other Savage engraved pistols that I have seen in photos. The location of the engraving was where it should be but, to my very inexperienced eyes, the scrolling wasn’t as “fancy” as other engraved 1907s. Is this Tue’s style? Gough supposedly did a few of these but I read he worked at Savage after Tue's death - too late for this pistol? Maybe I just don’t have enough experience looking at these? What do you guys think? Also, weren’t the engraved 1907s supplied with MOP grips?

Quite frankly, I am still stunned by my luck. Also, I apologize for the photos - I need a light box or something. Having said that if anyone needs more photos please let me know.

Any comments, observations, opinions will be greatly appreciated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnL
I have flirted with Savage pistols and rifles for awhile now and I have been able to find and purchase some nice guns. This last one is by far the best. This model 1907, made in 1910, was verified in a records search by Cody to be "Engraved A.” As many of you probably know, whether there were only 100 pistols engraved per Stern (echoed by Brower) or 200 as put forth by someone in this or another forum (I cannot find the post at the moment), these are very rare birds. I was very lucky to find this one. I have a few questions. The style of the engraving looked a little different from the very few other Savage engraved pistols that I have seen in photos. The location of the engraving was where it should be but, to my very inexperienced eyes, the scrolling wasn’t as “fancy” as other engraved 1907s. Is this Tue’s style? Gough supposedly did a few of these but I read he worked at Savage after Tue's death - too late for this pistol? Maybe I just don’t have enough experience looking at these? What do you guys think? Also, weren’t the engraved 1907s supplied with MOP grips?

Quite frankly, I am still stunned by my luck. Also, I apologize for the photos - I need a light box or something. Having said that if anyone needs more photos please let me know.

Any comments, observations, opinions will be greatly appreciated.

If the Cody/Savage factory records say Engraved A then that is probably what it is. Looks right to me. Although there does appear to be some variation in the patterns. Can you post of pic of the letter?
Almost certainly engraved by Tue. Gough did some Savage engraving before he started officially with Savage with the A.H. Fox purchase ~1930, but only on special orders of the highest quality.
MOP grips were optional.
Congrats on the pistol!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Had them do a serial number search first. Ordered a letter immediately but it will be awhile. And thanks!

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Better photo of engraving

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Find!

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That is sweet! Congrats.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks guys!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Googled Cody Savage pistol, blew both up and put one above the other. Your pistol looks like it only has 2/3-3/4 as much work in it. The Cody pistol looks like what I would expect to find on an 1899 from that period.

I think your pistol and the Cody are from the same time period so I would expect them to look very similar.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think Buffalo Bill’s pistol was a higher grade of engraving.

This one of Bailey’s was A engraved. Looks pretty similar, no? At least for coverage. The whorls are different.

[Linked Image from ]

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/29/21.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one that came up had A like in your photo.

Baileys is a later model so would expect some amount of difference.. I compared the other side.

Last edited by Rick99; 09/29/21.

Rick...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JohnL's pistol is very, very Enoch Tue style engraving... I'm definitely no expert on engraving, but I don't see a reason to doubt that his isn't Tue's work.

https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/item/52204-2-397/

[Linked Image from morphyauctions.com]

Last edited by Calhoun; 09/29/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not saying it is not Tue's work. I'm no expert on engraving details. I am saying there is a lot of difference in the two pistols made about the same time. Wonder if it was done at a later date? Like early Tue vs late 20's K by Tue.

Rick...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Rick...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is quite a bit of difference on the fine details inside. JohnL's is what I would expect to see. Maybe there so few orders for engraved 1907's that he never standardized as much as on the 1899's, and did as much detail as he had time to do with his current workload?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Looks very close to JohnL's above the grip, but differs on the slide with where the engraving is placed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JohnL and Cody pistol are 1907-10-2. Bailey's is a 1913 to 1917 production. The only thing to go on is the cartridge indicator. Hammer is an option item.

We are talking pistols. We don't do this very often.

Rick...

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Southern WI Savage wanted to see a copy of the letter. All I have is a copy of the serial number search. Factory Letter has been ordered but takes 4 weeks. Working on the DM Johnson connection.

I appreciate the discussion between Rick99 and Calhoun regarding how the engraving on my pistol compares to other 1907s. Isn't there a collector out there that has a few or more of these who could address the variation in the engraving between them? With something like hand engraving, shouldn't there be some variability?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Brower pistol is serial 883xx and is a 1907-13-2. Here is the other side. (click on picture , go to second photo and click to blow it up)
https://www.gunheritage.com/product-page/factory-engraved-savage-model-1907-pistol-32-acp

Given the info from Cody I don't think there is any question that it is A engraving. Also, comparing the JohnL and Cody pistols left sides, the location on the pistol and the three little lines at the left and right are identical. But I'm still surprised to see the variation in design in the interior pin wheels on pistols made in the same time period. Must just be me if no one else sees it.

As for someone that has engraved pistols... Brower maybe. I would compare photos on line of rifles and pistols with A engraving. You will see changes in details over time. Patters change in length, height, position but generally guns engraved in the same time frame look very similar in the details. I don't think it is known for sure that Tue didn't have helpers.

Congrat's on finding a factory A engraved pistol. smile

Last edited by Rick99; 09/30/21.

Rick...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnL
Southern WI Savage wanted to see a copy of the letter. All I have is a copy of the serial number search. Factory Letter has been ordered but takes 4 weeks.

Your factory letter and serial number search will have the same information on them. The difference is the letter will be on stamped letterhead, and they’ll “certify” the contents. I presume that to mean that they’ll verify a letter’s authenticity down the road. But both just repeat what’s in the ledger.

Rick, I see the differences as well. Can’t explain it either, unless he was rushed on one or an understudy did it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Does not appear to be the same engraver on those pistols.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 1minute, 117LBS, 2five7, 41 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,321
Posts18,505,838
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.