Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
First and foremost is that the OP has confirmation via factory letter that the pistol is A engraved.
Yes, there can and are subtle variations in patterns, styles and hand engraving. However, I've seen a number of Tue B engraved rifles whose patterns appear identical so he was capable duplicating simple patterns pretty much spot on.
The placement of the scrolling and detail work is all in the right places, the scrolling is noticeably different is all.
Why the variation in JohnL's pistol? Engraver discretion I guess. "Lunch box special"? Possibly requested? JTC sometimes found additional entries for special feature guns. A pic of the actual ledger page may help.
We may never know. At any rate a good example of a rare pistol.

p.s. Scrolling = whorls, pin wheels smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Does not appear to be the same engraver on those pistols.

That is a possibility.
In 1909 Enoch Tue's nephew William Henry Tue immigrated to the U.S., arrived in Utica and joined his Uncle Enoch working at Savage Arms.
William Henry along with his father William and his Uncles Enoch and James all worked for the Wolverton Rail Works in a variety of capacities including brass work.
Utica records indicate that William Henry was an engraver, checker and inspector while at Savage Arms.
So Pocono's theory may be correct.
Engravers typically were not allowed to sign or initial their works within the factory.
There have been exceptions so get a magnifying glass and go over the entire pistol inside and out looking for marks which may be clues. Low probability, but,...

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you all for the replies! To my very inexperienced eyes the engraving looked like that attributed to Gough. However, given the year made that’s just not possible. Maybe it was the nephew? Will give it a much closer look with a mag glass.

It ain't like it used to be but it'll do.
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't want to beat a dead horse here but the photo comparison below between my pistol and an 1899 with Grade A engraving in David Royal's book page 33 looks pretty similar. Mine looks like, "man, do I have to engrave another pistol? Bring on the 1899s" - it is like Tue light but the scrolls and “leaf” outlines look spot on.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

They may look similar, but to my eye it does not appear to be the same engraver. ymmv

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnL
Thank you all for the replies! To my very inexperienced eyes the engraving looked like that attributed to Gough. However, given the year made that’s just not possible. Maybe it was the nephew? Will give it a much closer look with a mag glass.

To me, yours looks like Enoch Tue. Bailey's I would have guessed to maybe be Gough if it didn't letter as being from Enoch Tue.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, we probably will never know for sure unless there is more info in the factory letter. At least it is factory engraved A. Thanks for the replies!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hold on... the rifle pictured above is actually a Model K from the 30's. Three things show in the full picture to verify that. The forearm is post 200,000 (post WWI), finish is not the high luster blue and the barrel has K engraving.

Poconojack and Calhoun get brownie points. grin

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick is right. I accidentally used a photo of a 99K and called it an A engraved 1899. I corrected the problem in the second printing of my book.
top pic is the wrong pic in the first printing. lower pic is a Tue engraved 1899 in the second printing.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I think we discussed this here when I was revising the book about three years ago.

Last edited by wyo1895; 10/01/21.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So would the 99K rifle have been engraved by Gough?

I guess I need the 2nd edition of your book?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes Gough or one of his people. There were small changes made to the K pattern about every time they had a batch engraved.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick99
Yes Gough or one of his people. There were small changes made to the K pattern about every time they had a batch engraved.

Approximate engraver timeline...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gough or his people did almost all of the 99K's. I have a very early one that was done by Enock Tue and John Wright also had one of Tue's engraved 99K's. I did a post sometime late last year with pics of my Tue engraved 99K and one almost as early that was done by Gough or his people. LBK has the second one now.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

JohnL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
You guys were right. The factory letter is only a more official version. No other information available but is an official confirmation the pistol was factory engraved. I am grateful to all who replied!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool! It's definitely a keeper.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow. That letter paid off.

Congratulations.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (22250rem, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 160user, 12savage, 53 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,296
Posts18,505,329
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.