Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I thought I had to catch up on 30+ years of chores/projects around the house. It took me a while to figure out that it doesn't all have to be done at once.
Now I've settled in to a routine where I do certain things on certain days. Church on Sundays, shoot trap on Tuesdays, skeet on Wednesdays, golf on Thursdays, maybe some house work on Fridays. Weekends I usually keep open for family since I'm the only one that's retired. You'll figure it out. The biggest thing for me was all the stress of my job that just went away.

blush
This has been the trap of my own making!

Gotta work on that.

I intend to deer hunt some this year if it hair lips the whole of china.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Start on that list of stuff I always wanted to do asap cause you never know when the health is going to crap out on you .

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Congrats Greg, relax and enjoy it

Originally Posted by Cretch
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
If you have your health, go find another job. Everybody is looking for good help and will pay for it.

LOL, that's not retirement. That's work again. I retired 2 years ago and have had a couple job offers for about 1/2 to a 1/3 I was making while working. I could not see going back to work and be under some one else's schedule. I haven't been that bored yet. I worked at the same place for 42 years and figured that was enough for this life time. Life is good.

To each their own I reckon. I’ve worked for myself for 45+ years. Never considered retirement. Doubt I ever will. It’s always been a game of strategy for me, and one that I enjoy playing. When I look back I never worked for the money.

Big difference working for yourself verses working for someone else.

3825 24336
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldHat
Skip the nothing part and do something.

Sage advice. Everyone I know who has retired without a plan isn't really enjoying retirement. It's fun for a month or so, then it become monotonous if you do not have something that gets you out of bed every day ready to do something productive.

I retired several years ago from my career and immediately began a consulting company. Now I work at my own pace without deadlines and hassles and can stay as busy as I like and still have time to play all that I want.

All play and no work makes Jack a dull boy.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
No land?
With just 75 acres I don't think I'll ever run out of things to do!

FJB & FJT
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I will make a prediction, in one years time, your question will be, "How did I ever have enough time to go to work all those years?".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

Doing nothing?!?! Hell my hobbies got in the way of work!
Once I retired I continued those hobbies two-fold!

Hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting, GOLF!, strength training, woodworking, traveling, seeing more relatives.
I rarely have a spare moment to relax anymore. These past 3 years (I retired at 57) have been exhausting!

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 10/01/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Retirement will be whatever you make it. I detected a twinge in your attitude when you mentioned it. Go into it like its an adventure and make the most of it. I have been retired 24 years and its been the best part of my life.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

You may be a good candidate for election judge.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At age 61, I can retire. All debts are paid including two newer vehicles. Don't owe a dime. Pension in place.

All sounds well, but I still like my job, don't hate getting up at 5am and am still in good health. I hesitate.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wasn't as tough as the transition could have been. A few days from full time retirement hail did the roof. I worked partime so my boss could stay caught up until my replacement came on. While doing that the hail came again , skylights, windows and a door. The insurance adj got right after it.
A couple of checks, money in the bank, picked out my shingles and all the other stuff paid for it , hauled it home. I palleted the shingles so the neighbors John deere could lift them to the roof. The neighbor and a bud help me move the bundles to the ridge line . Did the rest my self while waiting for the new siding to show up then re sided my house myself. All the labor money went into my pocket no deductions or withholding. Yard work, shooting, hunting, fishing, boat collecting and going to the lake. At your own speed when you want don t waste to much time on the fire it's a wasting disease. Good luck. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys have provided some great advice that is much appreciated. Thank to all!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,

A lots been said here, it shows how different we all are.

Bits and pieces of it suits me, the bulk of it does not.

I comfortably retired at 43, that was over 20 years ago, I'm a pro at it.
I went back and read your posts here on the Fire, specifically the threads you created to see if there was anything in my background that may interest you.

It left me wondering if you've created this thread just to generate healthy, constructive conversation.

Your interest in firearms and building knives alone could keep a guy pretty occupied.

You have a gorgeous home with way to big of a front yard if that's your place in your "show me your snow pics".

Your family is nearby, you repair their cars, your a man of many talents.
You've only been West of the Mississippi once?
Good gawd man, you've not even scratched the surface of the things to see and do that are within easy reach of you.

Your posts reveal a man with a great sense of humor that many would enjoy having along with their crowd.

Travel is important for me, always has been.

When I first retired I grabbed my camera gear and headed to the Eveglades for a couple of weeks in attempt of avoiding some cold grinding Northwest weather, it took three months to get home.

It was Spring when I did, piddled around the house for a week then pack up and went to Alaska, planned on spending the summer touring about. I just wanted to see why people talked the state up so much.
Four years passed before I saw my home in Montana again.

Be spontaneous, make your retirement an adventure.
Go places and do things that make your kids worry about you.

Don't hang around with old people and never stop creating memories.

That's all I have to add, best wishes, have fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Some people are "retirable" and some aren't. Don't try the "nothing" route if you are the industrious type. It will kill you.

This.

"Nothing" doesn't even equate to me.

I am always busy. Always planning ahead on what project to do next.

Having a ranch, cattle, and a retirement business, as well as places and things to hunt, it stays pretty busy, but I do all of it at my own pace mostly. I don't care much for deadlines.

Yep,

no more workin' for the man. Being around when someone like a service person or delivery is about as deadline oriented as it gets now. And Dr appointments.

Back to being seasonal, like early man I guess. Frost started for good last week, that means taters need dug, garlic needs planting, tender plants need covered every night. In a couple of weeks, strawberries will need thinned and replanted, garden beds rebuilt and filled with compost for the winter.

First cord of firewood was delivered the other day, time to clean up the woodshed from a summer of use as raising chicks to eat, storage of other stuff.

Winter will bring other tasks when it gets here, same for the other seasons.

Just remember, happiness is an inside job. Boredom too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
Greg,

A lots been said here, it shows how different we all are.

Bits and pieces of it suits me, the bulk of it does not.

I comfortably retired at 43, that was over 20 years ago, I'm a pro at it.
I went back and read your posts here on the Fire, specifically the threads you created to see if there was anything in my background that may interest you.

It left me wondering if you've created this thread just to generate healthy, constructive conversation.

Your interest in firearms and building knives alone could keep a guy pretty occupied.

You have a gorgeous home with way to big of a front yard if that's your place in your "show me your snow pics".

Your family is nearby, you repair their cars, your a man of many talents.
You've only been West of the Mississippi once?
Good gawd man, you've not even scratched the surface of the things to see and do that are within easy reach of you.

Your posts reveal a man with a great sense of humor that many would enjoy having along with their crowd.

Travel is important for me, always has been.

When I first retired I grabbed my camera gear and headed to the Eveglades for a couple of weeks in attempt of avoiding some cold grinding Northwest weather, it took three months to get home.

It was Spring when I did, piddled around the house for a week then pack up and went to Alaska, planned on spending the summer touring about. I just wanted to see why people talked the state up so much.
Four years passed before I saw my home in Montana again.

Be spontaneous, make your retirement an adventure.
Go places and do things that make your kids worry about you.

Don't hang around with old people and never stop creating memories.

That's all I have to add, best wishes, have fun.

Ditto^^^

Great big DITTO^^^

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Take some time to do nothing.

before you know it you will find that you have things to do that you never knew you had to do.

Main thing is take it easy. wink

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ First off, it will take you a few months to reset your body clock, so you aren't getting up in time for work, and you don't have to shut off the TV and the movie you were watching to get to bed in time to get up. It takes time to learn to relax as well. It doesn't happen over night. You have to practice doing nothing everyday till you get used to it. After that, you will find yourself busy again, and have to work in relaxing. Don't rush it. Go see someone else that you haven't seen in a while that's retired. They will walk you through this.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My last day working was Friday, Dec 29, 2017. Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 was my "official" date of retirement. Monday was Jan 1 . . . New Years Day, so historically, the end of a 3 day weekend. I woke up Tuesday morning and my first thought was "now what?".

So . . . welcome to the club . . . you'll figure it out. Just take your time, relax and do what you want to when you want to.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SuperCub
At age 61, I can retire. All debts are paid including two newer vehicles. Don't owe a dime. Pension in place.

All sounds well, but I still like my job, don't hate getting up at 5am and am still in good health. I hesitate.

This is a sign your brain may be infected........you need to quit ASAP before it's too late!!! :^)

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Enjoy your time with whatever you enjoy. Congratulations!

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Stand outside the workplace parking lot every afternoon with a Starbucks coffee in hand and when your old boss gets out of work holler, "Miss me now, Corksucker".

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (1minute, 7mm_Loco, 673, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 22 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,088
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.