Home
Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?
I've got a few years left, but I've got a shop and plenty of 220 outlets.

😉
Fishin, huntin.....

?

I hardly saw my dad when he retired, hed just take off to go see something, shoot or whatever.

He had a blast the 25 yrs he had retired.

Good for him smile
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Just retired today....now what?

Here ya' go - https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/
I just want everybody the fugg out so i can set up my stuff to enjoy retirement.

Dont even have a reloading bench.

And washing hunting stuff, some split decided to freshen up something in dryer......moffugin dryer sheet.

So rewashing camo.

I sure hope the BS stops when i retire.
Want a press and fridge in the living room
Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

Walmart is hiring in your area.
Skip the nothing part and do something.
Start building rifles you don't need and take up bass fishing.
My dad retired @ 56. He needed crappy weather once about every 12-15 days so he could do laundry. Other than that, fish/shoot gophers/prairie dogs all spring and summer, hunt all fall, load ammo and tie spinners until spring.
Stay busy. Find a hobby you can keep occupied with.
Well I retired 8 years ago and I do not know how I found time to work before. I fish a lot, hunt as often as I can, work some around a farm my sons inherited, watch my 6 grandchildren play travel hockey all over the east coast, high school and travel baseball, football and and travel/collegiate lacrosse. We have a new grandchild that is 1 1/2 years old now so I do not see us running out of grandchildren trips over the next 15 years.

If you can afford it I highly recommend retirement if you get out and do things. If you sit in the house and watch TV then it is not going to be a lot of fun.
Evnin, don't tell your wife or girl friend, ether one!!! They'll find stuff to much!!! Bill. 👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦
I retired in mid June. Every day is Saturday and deer season is coming soon 😁

I’ve been cleaning all my guns, mounting or swapping some scopes, making a good inventory and breaking down my M-1.carbines and cataloguing all their internals and doing the same with my Garands.

Spending time at the loading bench working up some loads for a 300 Weatherby and a 300 Blackout. Talk about both ends of the spectrum. 😊

And of course a few Honey do’s

Originally Posted by hookeye

Dont even have a reloading bench.

Mission Control, we have a problem . . .
You've already started staring at the 'Fire, apparently. That's what I do on days when I'm not fishing or golfing or putzing around with tackle, or reading books, or whatever. You will soon realize that everybody you see when you're out is as old as you are. It's as if we retirees are the only people left on Earth, because you never see worker bees. If you're smart, you never go out on weekends. Anywhere. Leave those two days to the working stiffs.

It's been almost 15 years now, and I am firmly convinced I was born to be retired. It's glorious.
Put your watch in a drawer. Get a ride that is perfect for you and go see everything that you ever wanted to see. Work out 6 days/week and read a book every week. Arrange your schedule to optimize the 4 seasons and available daylight. Fun and leisure are good for you. Check out the CF and avoid becoming an oracle.

mike r
You will have to wait till the 28th of Jan before I can answer that question. Thats when I plan to pull the plug.
I've been retired for 10 years and I've never had trouble staying occupied. With a large yard, two rentals, and multiple hobbies, I don't want for things to keep me busy.

Don't let the old man in!
Do some volunteer work ( I help food bank, disabled vet groups, animal shelter, CASA) , read every day, workout or walk every day, get involved in local politics

Get your shopping, going out to eat done week days
I retired 3 years ago. we bought 30 acres with 10 acre pond, maybe 5 acres under beaver produced swamp. lots of work to do. especially in Tornado / Hurricane Alley. I fish some but the Alabama heat makes outdoors in the summer miserable. Collect stuff, RV, Family around a lot. there's some lazy days but in the fall and winter in Alabama that's the time to be outside. congrats, you'll find stuff to do.
You are now a "Seenager"

You get an allowance.

You have your own place.

You have your own car.

You do not have a curfew.

Get outside and play.
test

About 65% of the retires I know start drinking before lunch, make the early bird special by 3pm and eat, drink some more and then waddle off to bed just after sunset.

Get up the next morning and repeat.
I don't think I will ever "retire".
I have 92 days left to work. I’ll have to figure it out. Whatever it is, sure as hell won’t start at 4:30 in the morning anymore. I should have enough money coming in to do a little something.
No.
I retired 2 years ago.
I wish I still was working. It is depressing.
If you have your health, go find another job. Everybody is looking for good help and will pay for it.
CONGRATS

Drink.
Start in the kitchen

Get rid of that stinky plastic Gladware

Then commence to sorting nuts and bolts, cutting socks up into rags

After that start posting crap daily about Sidney Powell
I retired 3 years ago. Only gets better! Hunting,fishing,shooting, working on my hunting properties, helping others. Only wish Id of done it sooner. Turned 50 in June now if only time would go much SLOWERRRR!
Originally Posted by akasparky

About 65% of the retires I know start drinking before lunch, make the early bird special by 3pm and eat, drink some more and then waddle off to bed just after sunset.

Get up the next morning and repeat.

The Vikings, I think, called that Valhalla. smile

Congrats! Wife and I are currently transitioning into retirement also. Her last day is tomorrow and she'll be fully retired. I cut my hours back a month ago and am working 3 days on and 4 off. That'll continue for a couple years before I'm completely done. Been out shooting all day and just stopped at the local pub for a cold one. May go bird hunting tomorrow...

I built a shop 5 years ago and haven't had time to do chit with it and that's about to change...

Coming up on 10 yrs retired for me....

I can always find stuff to do...dead of winter isn't the best

Time flies you'll see

Will admit I have a honey do project coming up

I have plenty of places to bumm around while the wife goes to work

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gregintenn: Get ready for non-stop low stress opportunities for fun and relaxation.
My working life was so hectic it was indeed a bit tough to learn how to slow down and learn how to relax and treat myself EVERYDAY - not just on the occasional weekend day but EVERYDAY!
The second hardest thing I had to get used to was my retirement checks coming every month along with my social security and investment checks - and I was just enjoying myself all the time and this money just keeps rolling in.
I hope you have a long, fruitful, enjoyable and healthy retirement.
And I swear this is true - if I had known how wonderful "retirement" would be, I would have retired 4 years earlier when I first became eligible.
I am in my 24th full year of retirement now and its been heaven on a no-stress earth for me.
Congratulations to you, are in order.
Yee-haw.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I retired last year and took up flying. Got my private pilot license and am now working on my instrument rating. My friends ask me if I’m gonna buy an airplane and I tell them no, I’m gonna get my commercial license and fly skydivers😀
with retirement about 20 months away, i do some thinking on the subject myself. probably be in vacation mode for a few months, overeating, over drinking, over sleeping and then figure it out from there.
You should be jumping up and down with joy.Do you realize how many folks cannot afford to retire or die before they can? crazy Plant a garden, fish,hunt,travel,take a drive in the country enjoy life.
VarmintGuy is correct. I have way more money in retirement. Pension and investments every month. I now get paid 3 times a month for not working. Life only gets better! Congrats!!
Originally Posted by akasparky
[quote=gregintenn]Can you retired guys let me in on the secret of how you transitioned from the working world to nothing?

[ About 65% of the retires I know start drinking before lunch, make the early bird special by 3pm and eat, drink some more and then waddle off to bed just after sunset.

Get up the next morning and repeat. [quote]

I live in a 55+ RV Resort during the 6 months of winter, I see this every day, both men and women. Not 65% I dont think but a sizable number of them. Really sad to see people wasting away what's left of their lives.
First, lose the alarm clock.

We have almost 300 acres of woods, so I stay busy "working in the woods". My wife works in her garden. We take a vacation for 6 weeks in summer to salmon fish (as Rocky said, only on weekdays), otherwise we always have projects that are underway. In the dead of winter, I start pulling equipment into our lower shop for maintenance.

The other thing we enjoy doing is helping others on the creek that are older than us and sharing our extra salmon and veggies with them.

But the thing I enjoy most is the first thing listed. It is a reminder that by and large, my time is my time.
Congratulations on a well earned retirement!

Things to do:
Fish more if you are a fisherman
Hunt more if you are a hunter or find a new type of game to hunt
Shoot more, take up a new shooting sport
Add something to an existing hobby. IE, learn to cast bullets if you are a reloader. Learn to tie flies if you are a fisherman
Attend more of your Grandkids sporting events
Travel/Vacation more
Do some projects around the house, shop, deer camp ect that you have been putting off
Take on a chore that you are paying someone else to do. Yard work, cutting wood, ect
Join a gym and work out a few hours a week
Volunteer for stuff. Church, Community, Gun Club, ect

And enjoy Life! You worked for it.
Get a flintlock or rifle musket, dress like Dan’l Boone or NB Forrest, get into reenacting.

If you attend an event you’ll quickly learn that ever’body back then were elderly grin

Found it !

[Linked Image from img.ifunny.co]
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Found it !

Yep😀
Originally Posted by prplbkrr

Found it !

That's great. smile
Congrats OP, still a few years for me. I have the house to take care and both cabins. Plenty to do when I retire.
I thought I had to catch up on 30+ years of chores/projects around the house. It took me a while to figure out that it doesn't all have to be done at once.
Now I've settled in to a routine where I do certain things on certain days. Church on Sundays, shoot trap on Tuesdays, skeet on Wednesdays, golf on Thursdays, maybe some house work on Fridays. Weekends I usually keep open for family since I'm the only one that's retired. You'll figure it out. The biggest thing for me was all the stress of my job that just went away.
I retired at age 53 twenty years ago. I live on an island in Lake Champlain and fish winter and summer around 180 days a year. I have a small orchard and a couple gardens on my property which keeps me going when I am not hunting or fishing.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
If you have your health, go find another job. Everybody is looking for good help and will pay for it.

LOL, that's not retirement. That's work again. I retired 2 years ago and have had a couple job offers for about 1/2 to a 1/3 I was making while working. I could not see going back to work and be under some one else's schedule. I haven't been that bored yet. I worked at the same place for 42 years and figured that was enough for this life time. Life is good.
I retired 6 weeks ago and I am really struggling with it. I use to manage 100s of people, Constantly traveling around the world with my work. Working six to seven day a week. No I am spending most of my time in the gym and just hanging out. I have had this lifestyle for over 30 years and it is really hard to change. At least I have an understanding wife and a great psychologist to help me work through this major life change. I will start volunteering at the Veterans home and the animal refuge.

U guys need to relax........

UR retired now
It took me 3 months before I could wake up at daylight and not panic because I thought I was late to work.
Originally Posted by victoro
It took me 3 months before I could wake up at daylight and not panic because I thought I was late to work.

Yep. That takes a little while. 😊
Congrats Greg, relax and enjoy it

Originally Posted by Cretch

LOL, that's not retirement. That's work again. I retired 2 years ago and have had a couple job offers for about 1/2 to a 1/3 I was making while working. I could not see going back to work and be under some one else's schedule. I haven't been that bored yet. I worked at the same place for 42 years and figured that was enough for this life time. Life is good.

To each their own I reckon. I’ve worked for myself for 45+ years. Never considered retirement. Doubt I ever will. It’s always been a game of strategy for me, and one that I enjoy playing. When I look back I never worked for the money.

Chill.....
And then go do what you want to do when you want to do it.

No obligations to jack schit......

Enjoy it!!!
Smoke a Pipe!?
I've got so much I want to do.

Wood working. I am horrible at it but have lots of ideas of things to build.

Dog training.

Reloading.

Lots of fish to catch and lots of critters to kill.

Carry on.
About 5 years ago strokes shut me down , permanently. went from full throttle to park . read, watch old movies , etc.
Take some time to do nothing.

before you know it you will find that you have things to do that you never knew you had to do.

Main thing is take it easy. wink
Everyone should do their own thing. I was a week end hunter. When I retired I spent 55 days at the deer camp. Did that for over 12 years. Be sure you get your fail share of your favorite hobby. Hasbeen

You need to do something, but now it doesn't have to be something you really don't want to do, and it doesn't have to start at 7:00AM. It took me months to not wake up at 6:00AM thinking I was late for work. I got over it. Now if a 3 day project takes me 2 weeks, I'm fine with it. Do something.....don't just sit!
Easy:

Shoot and hunt the North American West from August to January, with the occasional tuna fishing trip mixed in. That will include home for the holidays.

Head to SE US in February, hit the largemouth bass spawn in March, interrupted by a week Argentina for the red deer roar, and pop a few doves while you are there. Hit the mangroves in pick your state with a fly rod for April, then catch the tarpon migration in May in Florida. South Africa in June, maybe a little Hawaii time in July, then home to hit the press and the range in time for August.

Or any number of variations of the above.

Too much?

Oh yeah ... I forgot Alaska ... various salmonid runs and tags to draw.

Man there’s a ton more. Keep you busy for decades.
I keep trying to retire, at nearly 68 I have watched friends die at 65 and never have a day off. One of my best friends got sick at lunch and headed to his apartment to lie down and they found him, motor running in the ditch, cold and lifeless. I have 200 acres in Weakley County, covered up with deer, and an 8 year old grandson. I plan to finish this last project and quit making my bosses a lot of money they do not share.

I picked up a Genesis No Till Drill and got my first fall planting done, next spring I will do more and also plant my own dang dove field. Have 20 Chestnut trees that are 10 years old, if I had time I could stay busy running deer out from under them during bow season.

I have fished exactly 2 days in the last 5 years and am about to spend more time at that. I have lots to do, a house to build for old folks and I plan to go back to Sporting Clays and skeet shooting.

You need to come down to West TN and we will talk about next session of the legislature too, you can help me wheedle the GA...
Have fun. I should have retired 5 years earlier, when i was tough enough to do the things i wanted to do, but I liked my patients and didnt trust others to take care of my friends and glaucoma patients.
Originally Posted by RickBin
Easy:

Shoot and hunt the North American West from August to January, with the occasional tuna fishing trip mixed in. That will include home for the holidays.

Head to SE US in February, hit the largemouth bass spawn in March, interrupted by a week Argentina for the red deer roar, and pop a few doves while you are there. Hit the mangroves in pick your state with a fly rod for April, then catch the tarpon migration in May in Florida. South Africa in June, maybe a little Hawaii time in July, then home to hit the press and the range in time for August.

Or any number of variations of the above.

Too much?

Oh yeah ... I forgot Alaska ... various salmonid runs and tags to draw.

Man there’s a ton more. Keep you busy for decades.

Well, there is that for keeping one occupied.
I dont think anyone ever laid on their deathbed wishing they had ever worked one more day.
I dont know how the fughk i ever had time to work. Thanks Rick and hunting and fishing and.....
I have been retired seven years today. I was 51 when I pulled the plug.. I have no regrets. I do what I want to most of the time. Do what makes you happy, life is short!
Now that your time is yours, make sure you spend some of it keeping in shape. Doesnt have to be extreme, just a half hour of cardio 3 to 5 times a week, brisk walk, bike ride, trail hike, etc. plus 2 to 3 half hour sessions per week on the weights and machines. You will look better, feel better, and -absent bad luck- live longer with a better quality of life. Enjoy!
Hardest part is learning you dont have to have things tied up by Sunday evening. You can miss the weekend traffic, stay an extra day. Mentor grandkids or others.

If you have the health take advantage.

My plans were to get the good camping spot early, fish, hunt. What happened is I finished what I could of my last project, gave instructions to my cohort, shook hands and took my wife to hospital the next morning for a life altering series of operations. She is now disabled and I am athe caregiver
Originally Posted by horse1
My dad retired @ 56. He needed crappy weather once about every 12-15 days so he could do laundry. Other than that, fish/shoot gophers/prairie dogs all spring and summer, hunt all fall, load ammo and tie spinners until spring.

Originally Posted by horse1

That !
I sailed a 35’ sloop to Australia…
I never plan ahead and take each day as they come.Been working for 20 years now.
Originally Posted by reivertom

You need to do something, but now it doesn't have to be something you really don't want to do, and it doesn't have to start at 7:00AM. It took me months to not wake up at 6:00AM thinking I was late for work. I got over it. Now if a 3 day project takes me 2 weeks, I'm fine with it. Do something.....don't just sit!

This^^^^. It doesn't have to be amazing, just do at least one thing every day. Do it on your terms and don't feel guilty about it. Also try to find a friend in the same situation to do things with.
Start an Affair with Kristi Noem.....

Some people are "retirable" and some aren't. Don't try the "nothing" route if you are the industrious type. It will kill you.
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Some people are "retirable" and some aren't. Don't try the "nothing" route if you are the industrious type. It will kill you.

This.

"Nothing" doesn't even equate to me.

I am always busy. Always planning ahead on what project to do next.

Having a ranch, cattle, and a retirement business, as well as places and things to hunt, it stays pretty busy, but I do all of it at my own pace mostly. I don't care much for deadlines.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I thought I had to catch up on 30+ years of chores/projects around the house. It took me a while to figure out that it doesn't all have to be done at once.
Now I've settled in to a routine where I do certain things on certain days. Church on Sundays, shoot trap on Tuesdays, skeet on Wednesdays, golf on Thursdays, maybe some house work on Fridays. Weekends I usually keep open for family since I'm the only one that's retired. You'll figure it out. The biggest thing for me was all the stress of my job that just went away.

blush
This has been the trap of my own making!

Gotta work on that.

I intend to deer hunt some this year if it hair lips the whole of china.
Start on that list of stuff I always wanted to do asap cause you never know when the health is going to crap out on you .
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Congrats Greg, relax and enjoy it

Originally Posted by Cretch

To each their own I reckon. I’ve worked for myself for 45+ years. Never considered retirement. Doubt I ever will. It’s always been a game of strategy for me, and one that I enjoy playing. When I look back I never worked for the money.

Big difference working for yourself verses working for someone else.
Originally Posted by OldHat
Skip the nothing part and do something.

Sage advice. Everyone I know who has retired without a plan isn't really enjoying retirement. It's fun for a month or so, then it become monotonous if you do not have something that gets you out of bed every day ready to do something productive.

I retired several years ago from my career and immediately began a consulting company. Now I work at my own pace without deadlines and hassles and can stay as busy as I like and still have time to play all that I want.

All play and no work makes Jack a dull boy.
No land?
With just 75 acres I don't think I'll ever run out of things to do!
I will make a prediction, in one years time, your question will be, "How did I ever have enough time to go to work all those years?".

Doing nothing?!?! Hell my hobbies got in the way of work!
Once I retired I continued those hobbies two-fold!

Hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting, GOLF!, strength training, woodworking, traveling, seeing more relatives.
I rarely have a spare moment to relax anymore. These past 3 years (I retired at 57) have been exhausting!

Retirement will be whatever you make it. I detected a twinge in your attitude when you mentioned it. Go into it like its an adventure and make the most of it. I have been retired 24 years and its been the best part of my life.

You may be a good candidate for election judge.
At age 61, I can retire. All debts are paid including two newer vehicles. Don't owe a dime. Pension in place.

All sounds well, but I still like my job, don't hate getting up at 5am and am still in good health. I hesitate.
Wasn't as tough as the transition could have been. A few days from full time retirement hail did the roof. I worked partime so my boss could stay caught up until my replacement came on. While doing that the hail came again , skylights, windows and a door. The insurance adj got right after it.
A couple of checks, money in the bank, picked out my shingles and all the other stuff paid for it , hauled it home. I palleted the shingles so the neighbors John deere could lift them to the roof. The neighbor and a bud help me move the bundles to the ridge line . Did the rest my self while waiting for the new siding to show up then re sided my house myself. All the labor money went into my pocket no deductions or withholding. Yard work, shooting, hunting, fishing, boat collecting and going to the lake. At your own speed when you want don t waste to much time on the fire it's a wasting disease. Good luck. Mb
You guys have provided some great advice that is much appreciated. Thank to all!
Greg,

A lots been said here, it shows how different we all are.

Bits and pieces of it suits me, the bulk of it does not.

I comfortably retired at 43, that was over 20 years ago, I'm a pro at it.
I went back and read your posts here on the Fire, specifically the threads you created to see if there was anything in my background that may interest you.

It left me wondering if you've created this thread just to generate healthy, constructive conversation.

Your interest in firearms and building knives alone could keep a guy pretty occupied.

You have a gorgeous home with way to big of a front yard if that's your place in your "show me your snow pics".

Your family is nearby, you repair their cars, your a man of many talents.
You've only been West of the Mississippi once?
Good gawd man, you've not even scratched the surface of the things to see and do that are within easy reach of you.

Your posts reveal a man with a great sense of humor that many would enjoy having along with their crowd.

Travel is important for me, always has been.

When I first retired I grabbed my camera gear and headed to the Eveglades for a couple of weeks in attempt of avoiding some cold grinding Northwest weather, it took three months to get home.

It was Spring when I did, piddled around the house for a week then pack up and went to Alaska, planned on spending the summer touring about. I just wanted to see why people talked the state up so much.
Four years passed before I saw my home in Montana again.

Be spontaneous, make your retirement an adventure.
Go places and do things that make your kids worry about you.

Don't hang around with old people and never stop creating memories.

That's all I have to add, best wishes, have fun.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ltppowell

This.

"Nothing" doesn't even equate to me.

I am always busy. Always planning ahead on what project to do next.

Having a ranch, cattle, and a retirement business, as well as places and things to hunt, it stays pretty busy, but I do all of it at my own pace mostly. I don't care much for deadlines.

Yep,

no more workin' for the man. Being around when someone like a service person or delivery is about as deadline oriented as it gets now. And Dr appointments.

Back to being seasonal, like early man I guess. Frost started for good last week, that means taters need dug, garlic needs planting, tender plants need covered every night. In a couple of weeks, strawberries will need thinned and replanted, garden beds rebuilt and filled with compost for the winter.

First cord of firewood was delivered the other day, time to clean up the woodshed from a summer of use as raising chicks to eat, storage of other stuff.

Winter will bring other tasks when it gets here, same for the other seasons.

Just remember, happiness is an inside job. Boredom too.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Greg,

I went back and read your posts here on the Fire, specifically the threads you created to see if there was anything in my background that may interest you.

It left me wondering if you've created this thread just to generate healthy, constructive conversation.

Your interest in firearms and building knives alone could keep a guy pretty occupied.

You have a gorgeous home with way to big of a front yard if that's your place in your "show me your snow pics".

Good gawd man, you've not even scratched the surface of the things to see and do that are within easy reach of you.

Your posts reveal a man with a great sense of humor that many would enjoy having along with their crowd.

When I first retired I grabbed my camera gear and headed to the Eveglades for a couple of weeks in attempt of avoiding some cold grinding Northwest weather, it took three months to get home.

It was Spring when I did, piddled around the house for a week then pack up and went to Alaska, planned on spending the summer touring about. I just wanted to see why people talked the state up so much.

Ditto^^^

Great big DITTO^^^
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Take some time to do nothing.

before you know it you will find that you have things to do that you never knew you had to do.

Main thing is take it easy. wink

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ First off, it will take you a few months to reset your body clock, so you aren't getting up in time for work, and you don't have to shut off the TV and the movie you were watching to get to bed in time to get up. It takes time to learn to relax as well. It doesn't happen over night. You have to practice doing nothing everyday till you get used to it. After that, you will find yourself busy again, and have to work in relaxing. Don't rush it. Go see someone else that you haven't seen in a while that's retired. They will walk you through this.
My last day working was Friday, Dec 29, 2017. Sunday, Dec 31, 2017 was my "official" date of retirement. Monday was Jan 1 . . . New Years Day, so historically, the end of a 3 day weekend. I woke up Tuesday morning and my first thought was "now what?".

So . . . welcome to the club . . . you'll figure it out. Just take your time, relax and do what you want to when you want to.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
At age 61, I can retire. All debts are paid including two newer vehicles. Don't owe a dime. Pension in place.

All sounds well, but I still like my job, don't hate getting up at 5am and am still in good health. I hesitate.

This is a sign your brain may be infected........you need to quit ASAP before it's too late!!! :^)
Enjoy your time with whatever you enjoy. Congratulations!
Stand outside the workplace parking lot every afternoon with a Starbucks coffee in hand and when your old boss gets out of work holler, "Miss me now, Corksucker".
Originally Posted by reivertom
Originally Posted by SuperCub

This is a sign your brain may be infected........you need to quit ASAP before it's too late!!! :^)

You may be right ....... Maybe next year.

Started looking for another bird dog for when I do retire. The last Pudelpointer cost me $1500CDN, 7 yrs ago. Current pricing is as much as $2700US which is over $3400 my money plus shipping from Alberta. <WOW!>
Do anything that makes you happy, anything you find fun to do.

Anything, Everything!
I was kind of thrust into retirement 5-7 years early than planned. Etta's early onset dementia required that I be home to help her. It was a huge hit financially. Had I worked another 5-7 years it would have meant a far more comfortable lifestyle. Having said that, I will say I don't regret one minute of it. Being home with her has been a blessing. I have my sawmill and can generate a little extra income from it without being away from her and she seems to have lost all the fear she had when I had to be gone two weeks at a time. The time I'm spending with her now is far more valuable than a well bolstered retirement account.

Honestly I don't know how I found time to work before. I have more stuff going on than I can get to sometimes. Sawmill orders, her appointments, we put a metal roof on the house this summer, (that was a big job), building an extension on the garage, gardening, hunting, fishing, working at the church. Whew! Can hardly catch a free day to go to the range.

You'll find plenty of stuff to fill your time.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Greg,

Awesome post! Many thanks for the time and effort. I’m 48, so getting a late start. I’m planning to get on my Harley Monday morning and head for the gulf coast. After the first day, I can say I highly recommend retirement.
© 24hourcampfire