-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The #1 complaint people have about handgun dots is finding the dot during the initial presentation of the gun. And you can master that with zero bullets.

Tracking the dot during recoil and shooting with an occluded optic are about the only things you need love ammo for. The first is really not a big deal since most people don’t track their irons either. The second isn’t something to practice and learn so much as it is a familiarization.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 10/16/21.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
The #1 complaint people have about handgun dots is finding the dot during the initial presentation of the gun. And you can master that with zero bullets.

Tracking the dot during recoil and shooting with an occluded optic are about the only things you need love ammo for. The first is really not a big deal since most people don’t track their irons either. The second isn’t something to practice and learn so much as it is a familiarization.

I agree 💯% that's how I acquainted myself with mine

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve gone back and forth on dots and started a dry fire training regimen to become a better shooter. A dot was highly encouraged but the only one I had left was on my 6” 686 so I started with irons. Then I tried the 686 and saw what the coach was talking about.

I pulled the dot from the 686 and put it on my Glock 45 MOS and dry fire really is the best thing to become familiar with a dot. It’ll teach you to pick the dot or your irons up earlier. It’ll teach you to track your sights be it irons or dot. It’ll show you the faults in your firing process (pull left and low or if you move to the next target before the hammer falls, the dot doesn’t lie.)

But the biggest benefit of a dot is it allows both eyes open, target focused attention and peripheral view of your surroundings. This is important whether your hunting, shooting a match or defending your life.

I have irons as backup if the dot fails but frankly I’ve seen more irons fail than dots.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shoot everything both eyes open. Always have.

Tube type red dots are IMHO easy to use
Just gotta learn to not try and peek around the dot

Reflex sights can be a bit tricky in presentation so the dot shows up .

There may be a sight that works well on handguns w easier presentation.

TFB did a review

Last edited by hookeye; 10/16/21.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
“ I shoot everything both eyes open. Always have.”

Yes but your focus with irons should be on the front sight and I just am more aware when I’m focusing on the targets. Maybe I didn’t explain it very well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I do track my front sight. But your point is taken otherwise.

Maybe you can answer what others haven't. Does familiarization with a particular dot on one pistol translate well to the same dot on another pistol with different geometry? For instance, a Buckmark and a Shield.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It seems all this is more for the distances in competition than the street or dark house. Maybe put the money into the ammo it will take you to hit reliably out to 15 yards point shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Does familiarization with a particular dot on one pistol translate well to the same dot on another pistol with different geometry? For instance, a Buckmark and a Shield.

I *suspect* that switching between pistols would make a difference because I’ve noticed a difference acquiring iron sights, moving back and forth between M&Ps and Glocks. Seems like it would be the same grip-angle related problem with dots. But with irons it’s easy to overcome and not everybody has that problem.

Switching between DPPs, RMRs, SROs, and ACROs on the same pistol hasn’t been a problem. Preferences develop, but finding the dot on presentation has remained the same.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 10/16/21.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Does familiarization with a particular dot on one pistol translate well to the same dot on another pistol with different geometry? For instance, a Buckmark and a Shield.

I *suspect* that switching between pistols would make a difference because I’ve noticed a difference acquiring iron sights, moving back and forth between M&Ps and Glocks. Seems like it would be the same grip-angle related problem with dots. But with irons it’s easy to overcome and not everybody has that problem.

Switching between DPPs, RMRs, SROs, and ACROs on the same pistol hasn’t been a problem. Preferences develop, but finding the dot on presentation has remained the same.

Thank you, Blue.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.