Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Always look forward to the first day of archery. I won't hunt my best stands opening day but I will try to get the kids in front of bucks. 1 of my sons, my nephew and one of their friends are all eagerly awaiting the opener. My wife even had her Mathews out shooting.

The stands are hung, the broadheads are sharp.

Good luck to all you guys heading out.

Hunt...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck to you as well. I'll be in Sullivan County. I wish it was going to be colder

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Have to work, but I will be out monday

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I don’t go out until the middle of October when the bigger ones start moving.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Calling for a high around 74 degrees. Temps look to stay on the warmer side for the first week.

At least I won't have to fire up the wood stove just yet!

Hunt...
IC B2

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Good luck to you as well. I'll be in Sullivan County. I wish it was going to be colder

There ain't no deer in Sullivan County. Well not many. grin

I'm west of Laporte and in the past two months all I have on the trail cams is bear and coyotes.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Ken_L
I don’t go out until the middle of October when the bigger ones start moving.

lol

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB
Always look forward to the first day of archery. I won't hunt my best stands opening day but I will try to get the kids in front of bucks. 1 of my sons, my nephew and one of their friends are all eagerly awaiting the opener. My wife even had her Mathews out shooting.

The stands are hung, the broadheads are sharp.

Good luck to all you guys heading out.

Good luck!

C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Looks like 2 of our areas are burnt for the opener.

Buddies property I've been taking care of for archery privileges for 10 years. His nephew and friends want to rifle hunt it so they stumbled through last weekend 4 of them "scouting". Im sure any of the good bucks are long gone. They don't tolerate pressure well in this spot. I'm extremely picky about entry/exit and what winds to hunt it on.

Today my neighbor comes over and has a roll of posted signs in his hand. Been out hanging signs for 2 days. No wonder my cell cams have dried up. Says he has buddies coming in to build him a permanent stand this weekend. Wtf you had all summer??? I worked with this guy to plant corn in exchange for hunting permission and now this. Regardless of what he does on his place it will affect the deer movement on my place.

So much for hard work putting in plots, getting stands hung early and staying out of the woods to leave the deer alone.

Yes I'm complaining... maybe bitching.. yes it's their land and they can do as they wish and I'm a guest on theirs. I get it..And yes at least it's early things may calm down and get good for the rut.. just wanted to vent a little.

We will still be out there hunting somewhere. Hoping for some luck. Lots of stands up but didn't want to blow everything up opening weekend. Sure looks like that will be the case though.

Last edited by CBB; 09/30/21.

Hunt...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ill be in Sullivan Co also. Some nice deer around this year!

Godd luck!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ogdonia
Ill be in Sullivan Co also. Some nice deer around this year!

Godd luck!

Yeah you'll be in Hillsgrove just like me. I know the Ogdonia Camp

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ill be in forksville, but next week!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by squidman
Ill be in forksville, but next week!

Cool. I hunt Forksville too

C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Nephew and I came to an area with good white oak acorns.

3 buck and 2 does for me. The one 8pt got the blood pumping a bit. But he is just a little smaller than what I'm looking for.

Nephew saw a spike and a bear.

Great morning so far. Still in the stands

Hunt...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck.

-Ken

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Without a lease or your own land you are totally at the mercy of the landowner and his notions (and often relatives). I’ve been hunting totally on Public since 2017. It has it’s own challenges, but there’s venison in my freezer and quite often I have a square mile of good habitat all to myself, only 20 minutes away. Had tag soup the first year but still had plenty on hand from three killed in 2016. Six taken since then, all I can use really, and it’s very early in this season..

Farmland is great because the crops draw the deer, but, cover is often limited and as you note, it’s easy to run the deer off unless the fields are bordered by big woods. A bad wind can leave you sitting at home instead of merely changing your approach.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Evening hunt for me, had a doe and 2 fawns feeding on the acorns. Then a shooter passed by at 80 yards. Didn't take gru t call or would ha e thrown a couple soft grunts at him.

Wife had 2 bucks feeding and sparring at 15. The bigger of the 2 was an 8pt. Fed straight at her, never gave her a shot and ran out of light.

My son and nephew went to a different area in the evening and shot 2 does.

Quite an eventful opener

Hunt...
C
CBB Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Been slow for a few hunts but the cooler weather and full moon shows the deer moving again

Hunt...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Heading back to Susquehanna co. this afternoon. Have a bear tag and two doe permits. One of the advantages of being an old fart is the three day senior hunt.

Last edited by Bogtrotter; 10/19/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Game Commission publication says 40% of Bucks have been killed by archers before rifle season. About time we let the rifle hunters have first go.

Didn’t say anything about the Does.. you boys keep pounding them and there is soon to be a revolt.

And keep beetching about how those who own the land are messing up your hunt. While your preferential treatment removes 40% of the what is available to the rifle hunters.
And you have a 2 month??? season to hit the right day(s).

Correction: 36 % of the Buck kill....Archery Bucks...59,550.Total Buck Kill....163,240. For 36%...

This a major increase since the original archery season was implemented based on the argument getting a Deer with a recurve was very difficult. Which it was. Now that 61% of the archery kill is with crossbows...It is no longer your Granddad's difficult short archery hunt..

https://lancasteronline.com/sports/...4f9bf4a-ba75-11e8-bcaf-8b4d704746d0.html

Last edited by battue; 10/19/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 160user, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,900
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.