Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Honda Pioneer 500 which weighs about 1,000 pounds , will ratchet straps rated for 1000 pounds and a breaking strength of 3000 pounds be ok for trailering on a 6.4 x12 trailer?
The kind of ratchet straps that can be bought at tractor supply,Oreillys etc.

Back it on or pull it on ?

The trailer had half moon rings welded at floor level on the outside of the trailer frame.

Just hook a j hook on the lower frame of the pioneer
And a J hook on one of the half moon attachment on the frame of the trailer on all 4 corners ?

X them ?

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ta heck with the straps. On my Honda 700 and even on my quads I use a Louisiana trailer dog. Load it up and attach it to the ball and you are good to go in five minutes

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use 2" wide straps that I use to strap my hay down when hauling it. About $25 at TSC or Big R. Then I can use them for anything.Easier on the hands and a darn sight easier to work the ratchets than those little 1" wide things.

Better yet, bolt an E-Strip on each side of the trailer floor and buy some ratchets straps with clips that are use for them. You get more variations on where to tie down to.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/02/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
While it weighs 1000, the tension on the straps won't be holding nearly that much. Don't get the cheapest ones in the store or you'll be forever fighting the ratchets.

As for whether it's best to drive on forward or backwards, it depends on the length of the trailer. You need the center of gravity to be forward of the center of the axle. If your axle is centered under the bed and the bed isn't much longer than the UTV, you'll likely need to back it on to get the weight forward. Then there's loading it into a pickup. I have a Polaris RZR 800 that fits nicely in my long bed Dodge 2500. It would be best to back it in but I'm not about to try backing it up the ramps. If I don't hit it just right and get it off to one side, it's hard to get around the wheel wells to get it out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I'm using 2" straps to hold my 4 seat RZR. They hold the machine in place without trouble. I will be going to the over the tire straps when I finally remember to order them. I have refined a bit where I hook up, but they're hooked two to the skid plate holes up front, and two to the tow hoop in the back. I am going to start backing the RZR onto the trailer so the gas fills are both on the same side. I'm learning the hard way. The machine weighs just shy of 1700 lbs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What, none of you guys know how to tie a "Trucker's hitch"?.
How about chalking the tires too?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I got lucky and bought a Pro Locker before they went under.

Ratchet straps work goof though.

Lots of guys winch the front and put a strap or chain over the trailer hitch.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO- if I had to pay what one of those
heavy blankety blankers costs, it'd have
at least one good chain on it in addition to
whatever straps.

Every year at November I see those on
the interstate wobbling and rolling back and
forth on the trailers where some poor dude
paid thousands for his go cart and buys
the cheapest wally world tie downs to
secure his investment to his trailer with
the dry bearings
No doubt I'll see more in a few weeks, and
at least one trailer of some sort with the
hub burned up and/or the tire and wheel
hanging by a thread or off on the ground

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s not what will hold it down on a smooth road with the cruise control set, it’s what will hold it in place on a rough road during a panic stop when the straps are 10 years old. It doesn’t cost much more to get big straps.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If the road's that bad I'll be driving it, not towing it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I got tired of the straps coming out of the pockets because of the suspension travel and went to a chain. I've got a utility trailer with side rails. I pull my Mule as far forward as it will go and run a heavy 12-foot chain through the bumper and front of the frame and then around the supports of the front rail of the trailer, pull the chain as tight as I can and hook it on each side. Lastly, I Gorilla tape the hooks so they won't come out. It will move around a little (maybe a couple of inches), but isn't coming unhooked or getting loose from the trailer like that.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I got tired of the straps coming out of the pockets because of the suspension travel and went to a chain. I've got a utility trailer with side rails. I pull my Mule as far forward as it will go and run a heavy 12-foot chain through the bumper and front of the frame and then around the supports of the front rail of the trailer, pull the chain as tight as I can and hook it on each side. Lastly, I Gorilla tape the hooks so they won't come out. It will move around a little (maybe a couple of inches), but isn't coming unhooked or getting loose from the trailer like that.

Don't you use binders on your chain?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
These worked better for me than just straps. No more having to stop and retighten straps after rough spots in the road. They hold your wheels down and let your UTV bounce on its suspension going down the road,

ERICKSON ATV Wheel Chock and Tie-Down Strap Kit

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Erickson-W...70114247ede71e359a497cc&gclsrc=3p.ds

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Here is a Pic of the trailer I just bought and will be using to haul the Pioneer 500.
3,500 Pound axle ,Wrap around Tongue, Radial tires ,Led lights ,Set Back Trailer Jack, Welded Tie down connections on the outside of trailer at deck level and one right behind the Trailer Jack

I am going to have to install some type of assist to help with raising and Lowering the Gate as I barely have enough strength to raise and lower the gate as I have a lot of back and neck problems.

Using conventional Ratchet straps where would be a good place to Hook to the Pioneer 500 and then I suppose use the welded connections on the sides and right behind the trailer Jack to hook to the Trailer?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by bcraig; 10/03/21.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Check out Mac’s tie downs. I use the tire basket straps to hold the wheels in place. It let’s the suspension flex so there’s no up and down stress on the straps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I’m not going far, I just hook my winch line to the trailer tongue and cinch it a tad, as my front tires hit the trailer’s front rail with no metal/metal contact. If going on a highway trip, I add a big car-hauler ratchet at the rear hitch of the machine as well.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your ratchet straps are listed for 1k lbs each you are more than good, i've got some that are rated for 800 lbs each and use them to strap down my Rhino and Argo, never had one come loose or break. Make sure to keep the ratchets lubed, I use PB Blaster to keep them free of rust and grime and clean them about once every 4-5 trips.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I believe I am going to get a couple of Garage door extended springs and some eye bolts and solve that problem of having to strain to let the gate down and pick that heavy sob up.

Drill a Hole in top of frame and a Hole about 2 or 3 inches from The top of the Loading gate ,bolt the eye Bolts to the frame and loading gate.Then attach the springs

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
These worked great on my last trailer.

https://gorilla-lift.com/

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,336 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.