Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Smith Optics, been using them for 25 years. If you want fishing glasses designed for fresh water, not salt water, the Smith is the answer. Costa and Maui Jim's coatings are designed more for salt water in my opinion.

I just purchased a new pair to replace one I have had for years that unfortunately I destroyed due to my stupidity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Smith still position their temple tips to scratch the schit out of the lenses when folded? I used to have several pairs, but quit them because of that. Maui Jim and Oakley since then.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There seems to be a lot of high priced branding going on with sun glasses these days. I guess it's worth it for some.

I've always done fine with a decent no-name polarized for a lot less.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Costa or Maui Jim. Both are polarized.
Polarization works great for reducing glare. However, it has a big drawback. If your phone, GPS, or other device has a polarized screen or screen protector, you can only hold it one way. If you turn it 90 degrees, it will black out. Two polarized lenses don't work well together. When you buy sunglasses, look at your phone while holding it in both directions to see if there's a problem.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rayban P polarized Aviators. Catch the biggest fish and get the hottest chicks. Magnum approves.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sunglasses are identical to shoes and boots, fit is the most important criteria.

I've had Costa, Maui Jim and now even Wiley X.

All good to great, with the right fit.

Go to Costas website, look at all the different dimensions for width, length, temple, bridge.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Costa or smith

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tac Vision πŸ˜†

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RickBin
Trivex lenses …

Assuming one has a total need of ~ -4 diopters or less of correction, the above is the solution. The human eye can detect an ABBE value of ~45. Trivex has an ABBE value of 43, it's almost as good as the human eye can detect and it's as impact resistant (safe) as polycarbonate. Polycarbonate has an ABBE value of 31-33 and gets pushed heavily by the optical industry because it's impact resistant (safe), cheap, and very easy to edge into a frame. Trivex costs a bit more, takes ~3x-4x longer to edge, and needs the edging tools replaced more often.

If you're hyperopic and your correction is "+" and more than ~+1.50, just skip all of the wrapped versions from everyone as you'll likely never be happy. "+" lenses are thicker in the middle and thin as they reach the edges which "splays" the bows out, doesn't matter who's lenses/frames you're buying, you can't fight physics. Pick out a relatively flat frame if you're a hyperope.

I have multiple prescription sunglasses, 3 sets of Maui Jim, 2 Costa (one glass, one Trivex), 2 Oakley. The Maui's are my favorite. Maui's rose polarized is easily my favorite "All-Around" lens color for driving, fishing, shooting, hunting.

Last edited by horse1; 10/02/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am a fan of Smith's, particularly their curved aviator. The Serpico model with the golden brown lens is uber.

They do a great job of keeping dust out of my eyes/contacts.

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/s...CyczQ6KHxE5qnX5oOZlNdk83iDRoCLpwQAvD_BwE

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wrap around bifocal's Ebay.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Much as I'd like to, I can't wear wrap arounds - they can't make them in my prescription.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Costa or Maui Jim. Both are polarized.
Polarization works great for reducing glare. However, it has a big drawback. If your phone, GPS, or other device has a polarized screen or screen protector, you can only hold it one way. If you turn it 90 degrees, it will black out. Two polarized lenses don't work well together. When you buy sunglasses, look at your phone while holding it in both directions to see if there's a problem.

If I'm outdoors doing stuff, my phone is very far down my list of priorities.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oakley is good and tough but hard to find ones not gawdy. Maui Jim is good but most of their frames are too flimsy for my use. Ray Ban’s have been the best for me.

I had to switch to prescription before Costa became popular.

Now I wear prescription progressive lenses in Ray Ban frames.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A year ago I would've said Maui Jim. I've worn MJ Stingrays for years and they're damn near bullet proof. Never babied them and never had to worry about scratches, etc.

Then I bought a pair of prescription MJ Southern Cross and they've been a huge disappointment especially for what they cost. The lenses are easily scratched and both nose pieces have come off. One I found and glued back in place and the other I had to buy a replacement. Nowhere near the quality of the Stingrays I've had.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some on here have mentioned Smith. I have a pair of Smith Tempo Max that i love for fishing. They are a wrap around style with no frame on bottom so I don't get fogged when wearing a hat while fishing in the heat. Unfortunately one of the bow arms broke where it passes the ear. I sent a request for warranty and they said OK and gave me a $200. dollar credit for a new pair. The bad part is they no longer sell the model I had and said they can't repair them even something as simple as a bow. So I have a voucher for a new pair of glasses I don't want. I wouldn't recommend Smith to anyone and make sure when I get a chance I tell my story on social media. What good is a warranty if you can't get what you own fixed or replaced. I notice they have been bought out by some foreign company and suspect the stellar reputation they once had for quality and service is gone.

living the good life every day
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ray Bans with B-15 lenses is my go to. Has been for years. Bolle is a choice of mine as well.

Not now but 25 years ago I had 20/13 vision. My eyes could see sub par lenses from a mile away. Unbelievable the crap that was being sold for big bucks, just because they were a fad.

But, only your eyes can tell you. An optometrist was examining me & ask if I wore sunglasses a lot & I answered yes. He then said; bet ya like brown lenses. WTF? I thought. He tried to explain, but of course it was over my head. But he was right, I like them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm still sporting a pair of Gargoyles from the 90's

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Ray Ban Wayfarer

Some years ago I bought some used frames with prescription lenses in a lot for cheap. Then on ebay found a lot of new sunglass lenses that were taken out by a eyeglass retailer to put prescriptions in the frames, I got 6 pairs of new lenses for 100 bucks, a couple were polarized.

Cost 40 bucks a pair for 3 and still have extra lenses when needed.

Kent

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (arky65, Aviator, afisher, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.