24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16475313 09/27/21
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,982
bwinters Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,982
I'm taking a Kimber Montana 308 this year. It was a 280 last year. 270 in past years. You get the drift. Shoot good bullets.


Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16475366 09/27/21
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
B
bluefish Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,640
Throw in the 338-06 with 210s just cuz.


The way life should be.
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16487331 10/01/21
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 2,836
J
Jim_Knight Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
J
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 2,836
30-06, .270, .308- but in a rifle that is handy and a 2-7 or 3-9 scope. I carried a Remington 700 BDL 7mm Mag, leupold 2.5x8 scope as my only rifle for 10yrs, down in SE Texas. I used 150 Partitions (didn't tear up 80 pound deer!) and "made" an elk load with 160 Partitions. I never used it on elk, killed deer with it 15 yds- 50 yds. Loaned it to a friend who went elk hunting, killed a bull with the 160PT. the rifle was "perfect" in a deer blind, but "too heavy, too long" for still hunting. I missed a lot of deer because of this. So...consider how you will be using the rifle, for deer and for elk. Example, I have a hunting buddy out here who has used the same Browning BLR .308/3x9 he bought in 1970. he uses nothing but factory 150 Corlokt ( or equiv handloads with same bullet) on antelope, mule deer, elk and once a cow Bison. Its "perfect".

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/01/21.
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16487387 10/01/21
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,824
lastround Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,824
In my book, a 7mm-08, properly loaded, will do all you are going to ask for it to do, according to your ogininal post.


If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16487478 10/01/21
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,532
Teeder Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 6,532
My main two rifles are a 7mm-08 and a. 338-06. If I was going to do it all over again, I'd have the 7-08 for deer and a .30-06 for a traveling do everything rifle.

IC-A

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16487971 10/01/21
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
K
kzceh Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 440
I have narrowed it down to the 7mm-08 and 30-06. I still have a .270 but haven't picked it up in a few years. The 7mm-08 gets the most use.

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16488799 10/01/21
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 461
B
Benbo Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 461
7/08 with varget and 140TTSX and you’re good to go!

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: Pappy348] #16490188 10/02/21
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 520
Garandimal Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Hypothetical / arm chair analyst here.

For me, I would go with a 300 WSM, with a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 mm (or similar). This setup would get me distance wise as far as I would be shooting, and as close. Bullets, I would choose a tipped monolithic or solid shank, in the 165-180 weight range.
I would consider this more-than-adequate, for me and any elk involved.
I am not a longer-range shooter so that eliminates lots of other brain numbing possibilities.

Of course, picking someone’s else’s rifle, bullets, and optics is like choosing their spouse. Best avoided.


Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
If you lived in the east/south and 95% of your hunting was deer/hog size animals with an occasional Elk size animal every 2 or 3 years. Would you have a full blooded “Elk Rifle” just for those occasions or would you have a deer rifle in a caliber that is adequate for elk size animals now and then. What would your set up be rifle, cartridge and optics? I do have some strictly deer rifles.



I dunno, picking someone else’s spouse could be a lot of fun. Just don’t let anyone pick yours.

All the good cartridges for this have been named, so “Amen!”

No question.

.270 Winchester/150 gr. PSP.

... out of this exact rife.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]


But dats just me.

8>)




GR

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16490228 10/02/21
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
D
DesertMuleDeer Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
D
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
The only issue I ever had with elk was on a medium sized cow in which a 117-grain Hornady .25-06 factory load only penetrated one lung and it ran a little ways. Out side of that I've killed both cows and bulls with .270, .30-06 and a couple of .300s on both guided and DIY hunts. Most of mine have been with .270 and 130 Hornadys. I would use whatever you want if you plan DIY. Use whatever the guide wants on guided. I find it annoying but sometimes guides have strong opinions on a cartridge or bullet, and it makes it easier to go with what they want in my opinion.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 10/02/21.
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: Garandimal] #16490234 10/02/21
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
D
DesertMuleDeer Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
D
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by ldmay375
Hypothetical / arm chair analyst here.

For me, I would go with a 300 WSM, with a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 mm (or similar). This setup would get me distance wise as far as I would be shooting, and as close. Bullets, I would choose a tipped monolithic or solid shank, in the 165-180 weight range.
I would consider this more-than-adequate, for me and any elk involved.
I am not a longer-range shooter so that eliminates lots of other brain numbing possibilities.

Of course, picking someone’s else’s rifle, bullets, and optics is like choosing their spouse. Best avoided.


Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
If you lived in the east/south and 95% of your hunting was deer/hog size animals with an occasional Elk size animal every 2 or 3 years. Would you have a full blooded “Elk Rifle” just for those occasions or would you have a deer rifle in a caliber that is adequate for elk size animals now and then. What would your set up be rifle, cartridge and optics? I do have some strictly deer rifles.



I dunno, picking someone else’s spouse could be a lot of fun. Just don’t let anyone pick yours.

All the good cartridges for this have been named, so “Amen!”

No question.

.270 Winchester/150 gr. PSP.

... out of this exact rife.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]


But dats just me.

8>)




GR


I like that.

IC-B

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: DesertMuleDeer] #16490267 10/02/21
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 2,836
J
Jim_Knight Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
J
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 2,836
[ Use whatever the guide wants on guided. I find it annoying but sometimes guides have strong opinions on a cartridge or bullet, and it makes it easier to go with what they want in my opinion. [/quote]

Agree 100%. Case in point, my last cow hunt, guided/private land in the Book Cliffs. I had my little Kimber 84L Classic .270 all set with the Barnes 127 LRX. Its a dream. The guide wasn't thrilled, said he preferred "big guns" as he "hates chasing elk down." He carried a 6.5/300 Wby. Said a lot of shots are/can be around 500yds sometimes ( after they run out of the creek bottom) He asked if I had a "big gun" I said, sure, a 300WM ( it too was all set with Barnes 175 LRX.) The first evening after I arrived, we left camp around 5PM, drove 1/2 hour down to the creek bottom, and up on a side hill was my cow...100 yds away. I popped her, end of story. I could have killed her with an iron sighted 30-30, ha. But hey, the guide was happy!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/02/21.
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16490771 10/02/21
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 446
J
JackVliet Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 446
Man, if a guide told me my 270, 280ai, or 30 06 was too small for his liking, I would likely not hunt with that outfit.

In your case since you have deer rifles, I'd buy a bigger gun just for the hell of it, doesn't mean you have to use it for elk haha. Thinking 300 win, 35 whelen, 338 win.

For someone who needs a rifle to mainly hunt deer and hopefully elk and does not have a rifle for this, I would have to suggest the 270 or 308 in a good fitting rifle that catches their eye.

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16491196 10/02/21
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 279
T
Texson2 Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 279
30-06 with 130 ttsx, 168 ttsx for elk, for nostalgia big bears 200 partition
Ass whuppings come in all sizes. Enjoy you won’t be disappointed. MAGA

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16491786 10/02/21
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 781
A
asheepdog Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 781
I’m a reloader so my 338-06 would be my one rifle battery. If you want to buy only factory ammo, I say a 280 Remington would be something to consider. Pleasant shooting, good ballistics and has enough energy for wapiti sized game. I like to have a dedicated elk rifle and for me that’s a 338 win mag. I shoot 338-06 for most everything else because I like to be different and I like 338 bullets.


NRA Endowment Member
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16491953 10/02/21
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,910
P
Pharmseller Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,910
Buy more guns!


Obey lawful commands. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: JackVliet] #16492043 10/02/21
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
D
DesertMuleDeer Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
D
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,862
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Man, if a guide told me my 270, 280ai, or 30 06 was too small for his liking, I would likely not hunt with that outfit.

In your case since you have deer rifles, I'd buy a bigger gun just for the hell of it, doesn't mean you have to use it for elk haha. Thinking 300 win, 35 whelen, 338 win.

For someone who needs a rifle to mainly hunt deer and hopefully elk and does not have a rifle for this, I would have to suggest the 270 or 308 in a good fitting rifle that catches their eye.


Sometimes it's easier to hunt where you want and do what the guide wants with cartridge / bullet combinations. I've particularly found African PH's to be opinionated in this regard, including being unhappy when I showed up with 180 Partitions and not Barnes in one case and unhappy that I was shooting 168 TSXs and not 180 TSXs in another. Not sure what difference 12 grains of bullet would've made on that hunt, but I had to hear about it the whole time.

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16492671 10/03/21
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,113
S
specneeds Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,113
I bought the one new rifle when I was 17 a Ruger 7mm Mag that was made in 1976. It shot well & killed truckloads of deer for 20 years before it ever went elk hunting. Killed several elk wearing a 3x9x40 Conquest mostly during its life now wearing a Leupold 4.5-14x50.

These days I’m shooting a 300 Weatherby with a 3-15x50 Conquest & Z800 reticle that works fine on deer but is a 600 yard elk killing tool. Any deer rifle with a good bullet will kill elk with decent shot placement. That doesn’t make them elk rifles that kill at longer ranges & at marginal angles. That allow you to hunt 100 yards from the private property & still anchor a bull before he crosses the line wounded or makes it over the hill into a 2 day pack out canyon.

I think a Tikka or Vanguard in 300 WM or WSM with a Zeiss v4 4-16 is about the best bang for the buck in an elk rifle but there is no doubt more than one tool will work even a pipsqueak 6.5 Creedmoor when you shoot it well & aren’t too far away.

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: specneeds] #16492901 10/03/21
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 19,084
J
jwall Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 19,084
Originally Posted by specneeds
I bought the one new rifle when I was 17 a Ruger 7mm Mag that was made in 1976. It shot well & killed truckloads of deer for 20 years before it ever went elk hunting. Killed several elk wearing a 3x9x40 Conquest mostly during its life now wearing a Leupold 4.5-14x50.

These days I’m shooting a 300 Weatherby with a 3-15x50 Conquest & Z800 reticle that works fine on deer but is a 600 yard elk killing tool. Any deer rifle with a good bullet will kill elk with decent shot placement. That doesn’t make them elk rifles that kill at longer ranges & at marginal angles. That allow you to hunt 100 yards from the private property & still anchor a bull before he crosses the line wounded or makes it over the hill into a 2 day pack out canyon.


spec - you ARE singing my song. I see you don't post too much, I don't know how much your lurk.

You just posted what I've been saying for quite a while in other words of course.

I 'used' to be a 300 WM addict. In recent years I've 'adopted' the 7 RM in it's place. On WT I limit myself to 400 yds.
Elk are noticeably bigger. I could easily establish a 600 yd confidence with the 7 Mag. Appropriate bullets are
available.

458 Win - says the 30-06 is entirely adequate for Brown Bear ....so... 7 RM is even more.
I shoot my Tikka T3X Lite SS 7 RM well and have killed numerous WT with it since 2018. I'm ready.

I posted early in this thread, "seems some are scared of the 7 RM or Mag. in general".
As you described but in my words.... there's NO substitute for SPEED (flat trajectory) for longer distance.

Jerry


jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16492950 10/03/21
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,391
szihn Offline
Campfire Guide
Offline
Campfire Guide
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 4,391
270, 30-06 or 308

Re: Deer & Occasional Elk [Re: ridgerunner_ky] #16493053 10/03/21
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 214
W
WB300 Offline
Member
Offline
Member
W
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 214
To the OP.... do you reload?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1
Who's Online Now
737 registered members (12344mag, 163bc, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 1911a1, 1Longbow, 92 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 905 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2022 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.073s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8962 MB (Peak: 1.0644 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-12-01 22:28:59 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS