Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fat bitches prefer metric. Only 110 sir...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Bend over baby I'll give you my 12.7!

Geez 12.7mm is half an inch, I'm sure she is eagerly anticipating the destruction!

Decameters! Oh wait, no, Decimeters! Micrometer? So confusing, like 10X confusing.

Like Ed said, both.. Just numbers. If you can't, or won't, your problem ain't metric! It's hilarious to see anyone try to argue imperial is simply a superior system. Defer to MM to 'splain... We're not going to switch 100%, ever, but, that doesn't negate obvious advantages of the base 10 system in many applications, hence it's use.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Studies show People who use Metric and Imperial in daily life are way smarter than those who don't. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The baby weighed a 1/2 stone 3 oz.

Or roughly 3.25 kilograms

Originally Posted by ModelSeven
I think it's so they can tell how much Megan and Harry's baby weighs without looking up the conversion tables:)

M7

β€œLive free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
The baby weighed a 1/2 stone 3 oz.

Or roughly 3.25 kilograms

Originally Posted by ModelSeven
I think it's so they can tell how much Megan and Harry's baby weighs without looking up the conversion tables:)

M7

SO, was he drugged, or stoned? LOL

M7

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I used both in my career and was fine with either

Ditto, but how much does a gallon of water weigh, and how many cubic inches in a gallon?

In SI (metric), it's easy to remember a liter of water has a mass of 1 kilogram, and a liter contains 1000 cubic centimeters. I think in terms of feet, pounds, and gallons, but I often check unit conversions with SI measures.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
8 oz of water weighs 8 oz, so a gallon is 128 oz.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The threads.

Didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MPat70
Think about all you horse people measuring in "hands". I have small hands so a 16h horse to me is the size of a pony πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It’s been standardized to 4”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you use metric you don't convert it to English.

Doctors use metric, NASA uses metric, All foreign car companies use metric nuts and bolts.

10 milimeters (10mm) = 1 centimeter (cm) 100 cm = 1 meter (m). 1,000m = 1 kilometer. All in 10th.s

1,000 cubic centimeters of water = 1 liter. 1,000 liters = 1 metric ton.

1 Bar = air pressure at sea level (14.7 psi) 1,000 milibars = 1 Bar.

Metric is all based on 10's. You learn this and you don't have to convert to English.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
8 oz of water weighs 8 oz, so a gallon is 128 oz.

Nope. A gallon of water is just over 133 oz avoir.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire
In Australia our imperial before the metric s _hit was stones and pounds. A stone is 14 pounds. So someone who was 12 stone 5 is 173 pounds. Straight pounds has never been used in Australia. So if some footballer is real heavy at 130 Kg the media will say ...if you don't know how heavy that is, he is 20 stone 6.

I think the American ton is 2000 pounds and metric ton 2200 pounds. Imperial in Australia is 2240 pounds. We used to have Hundredweight (cwt) and 20 to the ton, 112 pounds.

Our gallon is 4.545 litres but I think the American gallon is about 3.5 litres

Add in long tons and short tons.

And that confounded β€œtonne β€œ

wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That is fine, they don't make anything worth buying anyway.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by jackmountain
10ths make things a lot simpler.

An inch is 100 10thousanths. In fact when it comes to precise measurements the Imperial system has it all over Metric. 254 MM equals 1', 25.4 MM equals 1". Seems like it takes a lot more figures for metric.

Didn't I already point out the error of that line of thinking in an earlier conversation?

Yes those problems would not arise if all prints were metric and did not have to be converted to inches due to everyone having measuring devices made to define measurements in inches. That and you seem happy to have to add extra figures for some reason.

Yes but I disagreed with you. Your point generally is that with a calculator metrics are easier to use. I see no difference as to ease when using either metric or Imperial when it comes to tight tolerance manufacturing such as aircraft parts other than the number of extra figures needed for Metric. Metric does not have a usable form of fractions. Furthermore Adding the MM or CM or whatever after a measurement just plain sucks compared to " or '. The word mile is four figures and kilometer is 9, fluid measures are also long, like milliliter, deciliter, centiliter,liter and mega-liter. As for practical volume uses the milliliter has some value in small volume use. Most of the time Teaspoon and Tablespoon, pint, quart and gallon are much more useful volumes. Inches and fractions of inches are far more pleasant to use in carpentry, ask anyone. In fact a metric steel tape is an enigma designed to make mistakes more often. I guess you could say there might be a benefit if you told the woman you picked up in the bar your penis is 203 MM long. I'm sticking with 8".

Besides the fact that it takes some getting used to, there are, in my opinion, two significant deficiencies in the metric system.
1. There is no metric equivalent for the the imperial foot. The existing metric units are either too big or too small for convenient use.
2. While this doesn’t actually effect every day use, Metric countries also generate electricity at 50 cycles instead of the 60 cycles we’re used to. This is completely silly because. even in the metric system there are 60 minutes in an hour, not 50, and 24 hours in a day. A circle still has 360 degrees not 300. back in the days of analog electric clocks, it was physically impossible to make an accurate one on 50 cycle current. It would run either too fast or too slow.

One gram is defined as the mass of water that would fill a 1-centimeter cube. In reality how useful is the volume of a gram to most of us non drug dealers?

Common Measurements in Customary and Metric Systems

Length

1 centimeter is a little less than half an inch.

1.6 kilometers is about 1 mile.

1 meter is about 3 inches longer than 1 yard.

Mass

1 kilogram is a little more than 2 pounds.

28 grams is about the same as 1 ounce.

Volume

1 liter is a little more than 1 quart.

4 liters is a little more than 1 gallon.

I am prepared for your rebuttal!

When the only tool you have is a hammer every thing looks like a nail

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm old fashioned in that I like my plywood in 1/2, 3/4, etc. I hate this x/32 stuff that they use now. I know it's closer to the actual thickness but it's a PIA.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cath8r
I use both as a tilesetter. In Canada, where I live within 20 miles south of Detroit Michigan, we mainly use imperial. I layout my jobs in metric and honestly it makes life alot easier. Everything in 10's and I can know about how big a piece of tile will be on the other end of a 100 foot room with about 20 seconds of quick head math.

In typical CDN fashion we totally botched the switch over to metric way back in the early 80s. If we had used metric exclusively after the switch, we'd be fine now and way past the initial confusion, but NO we now have a stoopid blended system which makes sense to none.

Our speed limit is in KMs. Our temp is in C deg. We buy butter by the pound. Our building trades use inches and feet. They advertise meat by the pound but is weighed in KGs. We sell land by the acre ........ etc etc etc. <eye roll>

For me it's a hassle at work. As an industrial radiographer, I work in imperial 95% of the time, but when I go into the state run nuke plant all the radiation levels are in a foreign-to-me metric system which could be a safety concern.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't remember which car it was that I had that was half imperial and half metric. I needed 2 complete sets of wrenches to work on it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jimmy Carter started pushing this metric conversion b/s. After a few years, GM fell in line and converted.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I use metric for work, because science and math. The problem is the units are too small to be convenient for measuring anything large. America is too big.

That's the problem with many smart ideas. They're disassociated from reality.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Metric is a better system, by far.

Isn't your money in 10ths in the States?

Yep.
That's why we have quarters and nickles.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,578
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.