-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used my wife's M70 Featherweight .270 to kill several blacktail deer, 2 caribou and two wolves.
I didn't have any urges for men afterwords...😁

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I liked both O'Conner and Keith. Jack was "kinda snobby, but entertaining and very knowledgeable. I liked Keith's " we gotta have the meat" and experimenting with different rounds to get it, ha. Keith was a tough old bird, but, unfortunately, not as educated as Jack. He got to me when he said the 30-06 is pee poor elk medecine (while using 150gr fmj, but it was the Depression!), but a 44 magnum at 600yds on Mule Deer is "just right", ha. Also, when you "need that meat" and shot through the rump shell will definitely stop it for a follow up. This was the Era when one guy would shoot as many elk in a herd as he could and everyone in camp got meat. I have followed both men in the last 55 yrs or so, small & fast to big and slow bullets, both men's worldview had merits. IMHO

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jack was the reason I wanted to be a "gun writer". I read his prose in the 50s and idolized his skills both with a rifle and a pen. Long after he was gone, I eventually managed to have almost a hundred articles published, but none that I can remember were about hunting per se. I specialized in reloading lore - and never did a piece on the .270.

If you criticize his gear choices today you have lost perspective. Jack also used bias-ply tires and rotary phones, you know. Because that's all there were.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
79S: That picture was taken two years before I was born.
I got to meet Jack O'Connor at the Portland, Oregon N.R.A. Convention many years ago.
He was a tall and polite gentleman.
I have always been an avid reader and admirer of his articles and books.
I have a pretty complete collection of his Hunting/shooting books and his novels.
Including an original (1939) mint condition, Derrydale, limited edition "Game In The Desert" (#238 of 950!) and it is signed by the author and the illustrator.
I even enjoyed his novels and their values have skyrocketed since I collected them years ago.
In my opinion he IS simply the best of the outdoor Hunting/shooting writers!
May he rest in peace.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I liked both O'Conner and Keith. Jack was "kinda snobby, but entertaining and very knowledgeable. I liked Keith's " we gotta have the meat" and experimenting with different rounds to get it, ha. Keith was a tough old bird, but, unfortunately, not as educated as Jack. He got to me when he said the 30-06 is pee poor elk medecine (while using 150gr fmj, but it was the Depression!), but a 44 magnum at 600yds on Mule Deer is "just right", ha. Also, when you "need that meat" and shot through the rump shell will definitely stop it for a follow up. This was the Era when one guy would shoot as many elk in a herd as he could and everyone in camp got meat. I have followed both men in the last 55 yrs or so, small & fast to big and slow bullets, both men's worldview had merits. IMHO

I’ve read very little JOC I should check out some of his writing. I read a lot of Elmer Keith as a kid because my buddies dad let me borrow Sixguns and Hell I was there. I liked Keith’s writing a lot but it was his protege Ross Seyfried that really got me into reading about guns. Seyfried was my favorite writer that Guns and Ammo had back in the the 1980’s when they were loaded with good authors before turning into canned article debates “pistol Vs revolver, which is right for you?” Or “9x19mm Vs .45acp.”

As far as JOC and Keith it seems current trends with modern bullets, optics and range finders are splitting the difference with Keith’s very heavy for caliber bullets being the trend for non mono bullets but chambered in smaller bore lighter recoiling chamberings similar to what JOC preferred.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Salmonella
But everyone here thinks his rifle was gay...🤣

The 270 is all I use now.

The 270. win is awesome ! Smart man smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
The guys worried about horse and a posed picture are missing the point. Read about what he used a 2.5 power scope and by today standards god awful Remington core-lokts

Yeah , The man was a legend and a bunch of jerks just have to post garbage .......

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Stephen Hunter has a great book called Pale Horse Coming. It's set in late 40s Mississippi. I won't give the plot away but it includes all the old gun writers with semi disguised names. There's O'Connor, Keith, Askins and a few others. It's a good read.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
That bino case doesn't look like a Swaro either. But then again, I wasn't around in '45 so I may be wrong.

9X35 Bausch & Lomb Zephyrs, probably retailed for $175 in those days .....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 57springer
Good post . Father of the 270 !

His favorite was the 30-06.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
270, 130 core-lokt, and a cheap Simmons scope, like flipping a light switch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't believe that old goat ever posed for a picture or smiled ! ! !

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
30Gibbs: I bought my first pair of American made Bausch & Lomb 9x35 Zephyrs in 1,970 from a retailer for $186.00 - back in 1,945 I would assume they would be more in the just under $100.00 range?
I have more than a dozen pair of Bausch & Lomb Zephyrs today, of various powers, and that indeed does look like the original carrying case for the Zephyr line.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 79S
Thumbing through one his books found this picture. Weird how things have changed in 76yrs.

[Linked Image]

Have they really changed that much? Looks a lot like the terrain where I took my Dall ram. Though the stock on my rifle was synthetic, the bullet was a Hornady 129 grain SPIL.

The more things change the more they stay the same. Especially when they work!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’d be more impressed with his manly feat if he carted the meat and hide off the hill too.

Perhaps he had helpers that brought the meat out……😉

Horses. And a large entourage of guides and packers.

Raise your hand if you think that pic is not posed!

Exactly. O'Conner would have beena Youtuber today.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Yup, the good old days. Living close to Lewiston now, and really enjoyed the JOC museum. Last week drove by the house he lived in, took a few pics.
Nice place.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Never heard of the guy.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Use what works for you.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I liked the letters he and Keith wrote back and forth to each other! Elmer would get just rattled and Jack would come back with dry humor, hilarious! It was Jack's writings on the 7x57 that really had me interested in the round, though I have yet to have found an accurate one ( just one out of four, so far) and I like how he was honest enough to say he favored (in a round about way) the '06 for elk and grizzly, .375 for Browns. But I have also had a love affair with the .338s because of Keith!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 10/07/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MS9x56
I don't believe that old goat ever posed for a picture or smiled ! ! !

I read somewhere that Jack had very poor teeth and was self conscious of his smile.
The one pic I saw with him smiling was obviously a spontaneous shot by whomever he was with, and it didn’t show much.

He posed for most of his pictures for sure. That’s the business he was in and a huge part of any story he might be telling. His cameraman was quite often some guide or wrangler that happened to be with him and the equipment obviously wasn’t digital!

I’ve read everything Jack wrote, that I could get my hands on and own several of his books. His articles on equipment may be a bit dated now, but his hunting stories are just as colorful and entertaining as ever.

I started my hunting career with a .270 because of his writings. I try to photograph my hunts also, because I so enjoyed seeing success first hand. I miss the old guy and his writings - there are so few that could hold his hat....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,267
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.