Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A grizzly attacked and injured a hunter in northwest Wyoming on Saturday, authorities say.

The 45-year-old man call 911 at 7:38 a.m. Saturday to report that he had been mauled by a grizzly bear and needed help, according to the Park County Sheriff's Office.

The hunter decided to attempt to ride out of the wilderness to meet emergency responders. A Park County search and rescue team found him at 9:34 a.m. on the north side of the Shoshone River. He received treatment about a half hour later by medics when he reached a staging area, the sheriff's office said.

The man was then flown to Billings, Montana, for additional care.

The mauling is being investigated by Wyoming Game and Fish.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Damn, hope he wasn't hurt too badly. At least the outcome was proper, as far as the bears go.

Depending on how bad he was hurt, that final score looks to be 3-0, the other way.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I just hunted that area a couple weeks ago. Lots of grizz!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seeing one would be cool.

From a distance.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

From a distance.

I've seen them many times. The closest was more than 30 years ago in the Bowron-Hagen valley East of Prince George BC. I was tree planting my way up a side hill, came to a false summit with a small dip before the actual summit. Coming over the summit was a grizzly about the size of a Percheron draft horse. He looked at me and I looked at him, then he began swaying his head back and forth in what I interpreted as a not terribly friendly gesture. There are two theories when tree planting. One is that you leave your food back down at the cache and the bear will go there and you won't see him. The other is to bring it with you and leave it for him to distract him. I did the latter. I set my lunch on the top of a stump and backed down the hill a bit. As soon as he was out of sight I ran down the hill as fast as I've ever moved in my life. Now the hill had a lot of stumps and logs across it so eventually I was taking 20' strides from stump to log all of the way down. I got to the bottom, climbed into the bus we used as a crummy and sat there with the rifle for the remainder of the day. It was a terrible contract with poor money to be made anyway. On the same job a grizzly came in to camp and tore up the cook tent.

The last time I saw one was while moose hunting up near Pink Mountain BC. We were driving around in a Geo Tracker 4x4 with the doors off and between us and a fire pond we saw what we thought was a large grizzly. As we got closer he retreated into the pond and swam across. He got out on the far side and I swear he was 1/3 the size with his fur matted down from the water. He shook and he was big again. I think he was a younger bear, probably a 3 year old. When he fills in with muscle and fat he's going to be a big'un.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole

From a distance.

When I hunted the Alaskan hwy especially near pink mountain I have been very close to them, my 375 H&H did not seem so big anymore. shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I grew up around grizzly in Montana and never really felt threatened by them....as long as you gave them the respect they deserve.

It seems as though they're getting more and more aggressive, especially in WY where I have also been around several. Maybe folks these days just aren't as aware of their surroundings, or maybe the bears are just getting more brazen from basically being treated like gods. Maybe attacks are just being better reported these days or a combination of it all---but it is kind of eye opening how many attacks are happening these days.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't it Biblically stated that in the end times animals will no long fear man?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DMc

They dont in Houston already.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by DMc

A hunting season on them would help some.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A sow griz at 3 yards with 2 cubs 100 yards or so away isn't something one loses a mental picture of soon, if ever. Trust me on this.....

But she was a good bear. Those skid marks she left in the mud might have not been the only ones. smile

A biologist I know says that bears are of little concern if you keep them at least 1/4 inch away from your skin. Works for me.

Last edited by las; 10/05/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by DMc

In Houston?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by lostsixgunner
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by DMc

In Houston?

Sounds like a target rich environment with its surplus of wild animals.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DMc

There’s more than this but I forget the location.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth. Revelation 6:8

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,656 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,928
Posts18,498,623
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.