Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
JACKSON, Wyoming (AP) — An elk hunter saw his bounty turn into a “friggin’ nightmare” as four carcasses lay for hours in view of a popular trail, prompting complaints from appalled onlookers and one heated confrontation.

The killing of the elk was legal but certainly ill-considered and, many argued, unethical. It has prompted discussions in the community over whether hunting regulations need to be revised to prevent such situations.

The episode started around 9 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26. Three Minnesota hunters who had been in Jackson Hole for several days spied a cluster of elk on a small island in the Snake River. They squeezed off about seven shots and watched three cow elk and a calf fall.

Soon after, everything took a turn for the worse, one of the men — 79-year-old Bob Geringer — told the Jackson Hole News & Guide.

The elderly hunting party hadn’t thought out how they’d get to the elk, and once they sized up the river flow, they realized they’d risk their lives if they tried to ford it.

Meanwhile, the path along the river began to fill up with Sunday walkers and joggers in numbers that the Minnesotans had not anticipated. Passers-by, including families with children, had a close-up view of the dead elk, their carcasses beginning to bloat in the sun.

A dozen people phoned the Wyoming Game and Fish Department to report what they suspected was illegal activity.

Jackson Hole resident Brad Nielson came upon the scene six hours after the shooting, and it made him hot. Opening fire on a group of elk stranded on a barren island, he told the Minnesotans, was not fair to the animals.

“It’s an ethical question,” Nielson told the News & Guide. “That’s not fair chase, cornering them on an island and mowing them down.”

Nielson, who’s a hunter himself, told the three that they were doing other hunters no favors: “I told them they’d set back years of effort to create goodwill between the non-hunting community and hunters.”

Late in the afternoon, game warden Jon Stephens arrived as Geringer and his crew were still pondering how to reach their downed elk.

“I chewed on them a little bit for the eyesore that they created,” Stephens said. Then he helped them out.

The men obtained a canoe and a wheelbarrow. But the Snake River is running unseasonably swift, and their first attempt at a crossing resulted in a capsize, a soaked Minnesotan and an unmanned canoe being carried downstream.

Stephens could see that the makeshift meat recovery plan was futile, and he instructed the hunters to gut out the animals and then to get back across the river before nightfall.

On the following afternoon the Minnesotans returned, this time with the assistance of a local resident who had a raft. By 6 p.m. — some 33 hours after their gunfire — the Minnesotans’ meat was being rafted downstream toward the ramp.

Reached over the phone, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Director Brian Nesvik didn’t want to comment specifically on the incident because he hadn’t heard the details from his staff. But the former warden agreed on one point: When it comes to hunting, just because something is legal doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

“Hunter ethics are very important,” Nesvik said. “We do have laws that are based on ethics and fair chase, but you can’t regulate all of it. You’ve got to hope that hunters will do the right thing and be respectful of both the wildlife they’re hunting as well as the rest of the public.”

Geringer said that not all of the interactions the veteran hunters had with passersby that Sunday were unpleasant.

“You can’t imagine how many people congratulated us and were happy for us,” he said. “It’s just that the timing was wrong.”

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone familiar with this island?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dang River was tougher than those Minnesotan lakes to traverse.
Idiots should stick to Whitetails

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Wanton waste rules should apply.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's pretty unfortunate and in my opinion pretty unethical.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainshot

It was pretty stupid.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not illegal, IMO I'm not even sure its unethical but they should of thought of how to retrieve them before they shot them. GTNP is one of the few Nat'l Parks where we are allowed to hunt, its the law that hunting be allowed there. Jackson Hole if full of liberals, they will try to shut it down, just like they've been trying to. Unfortunately for them, GTNP has to allow hunting. There's already a ton of restrictions for hunting there, now it will get worse.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
A real Minnesota Viking would have swum out there with a knife in his teeth and took care of business.

Pussies.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Shooting them without a plan to retrieve them shows a severe lack of brains. I would not hunt with, or likely even associate with anyone who would operate in such a manner. I'm embarrassed, and hate seeing news like this.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Old guffers shooting em up and then realize they fugged up....
79 yrs old.
Wonder if he was the youngest of the group or oldest.
Veteran hunters.
Ya think by their age they would know shooting something is the easy part then the work begins getting a carcass out.

😄😄😄😄😄

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Ummm I think they did (did you bother to read all of it)

Last edited by Skankhunt42; 10/05/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SandBilly

It was pretty stupid.

Only stupid if those that pulled the trigger weren't willing to get the meat.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

It was pretty stupid.

. Wiling had nothing to do with it, having the means does.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

It was pretty stupid.

. Wiling had nothing to do with it, having the means does.

Okay, I can live with that

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, we've got our fair share, that's for sure.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mike_S

Zactly, and if that happened in MN, they would have been charged .

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by goalie
Yeah, we've got our fair share, that's for sure.....

I'd bet they were out of the Twin Cities.... most hunters I met in hunting Northern MN were pretty ethical guys...

not so much with some of the one's I saw from the Twin Cities.... not all of them, but enough to notice a pattern...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nollij
Shooting them without a plan to retrieve them shows a severe lack of brains. I would not hunt with, or likely even associate with anyone who would operate in such a manner. I'm embarrassed, and hate seeing news like this.

Check out Minnesota politics if you think what these guys did was dumb.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Need the full story. It’s not wanton waste if you do recover the animals. A boat would do that. You also cannot trap an elk on an island because believe it or not they can swim. They got out there somehow and I’m guessing they swam. A econut writing a story does not make it true. Edk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,850
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.