Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I mentioned primer flattening, but it’s not flat all the way. I’ve seen a lot worse. And the bolt opens with no resistance, the case drops out. No bolt marks on the case head. I’d say pressure was well within allowable range.

DF

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool rifle!

Glad to see RL7 getting used in .358. For 200’s and under, it’s the shizzle. Did JB write it up...? I tried to get him to include it in a .358 loading write-up about a decade ago, but he didn’t, which was disappointing because it works so well.

I’ve been using the 200 Accubond in my .358 Model 7 and really liking it. Then again, each of the 4 bullets I’ve killed deer with n .358 worked great; just kind of different flavors of great.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Cool rifle!

Glad to see RL7 getting used in .358. For 200’s and under, it’s the shizzle. Did JB write it up...? I tried to get him to include it in a .358 loading write-up about a decade ago, but he didn’t, which was disappointing because it works so well.

I’ve been using the 200 Accubond in my .358 Model 7 and really liking it. Then again, each of the 4 bullets I’ve killed deer with n .358 worked great; just kind of different flavors of great.

Yeah, read your stuff.

Agree on RL-7.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Stock is about ready for the barreled action. I weighed it. 29 oz. Not bad. I was actually surprised how light it is. That .243 Fwt, drilled out to .358 Win is gonna be pretty light, too. This gun is going to be pretty light. Heavy loads will make a statement, don't ya know...

A Hunters Edge usually runs around 26 oz, reportedly some of the later ones a few ounces more.

Brown Decelerator pad is taped. I'm pretty sure I spent more time recutting the checkering than the factory guys and gals spent back when it was originally done.

To me, the sharper, deeper checkering looks better than original and for sure the Tru-Oil finish is better than the original lacquer that flakes off after a few years. I'll polish some of that gloss to a soft sheen when it cures some more.

But, it's not original, so it isn't worth nearly as much, even though IMO, it's actually better.

I'll enjoy it. and that's the bottom line.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

DF, would you happen to remember which model of Pachmayr pad that is exactly? Thanks!!

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It was there when I got the gun.

It looks like a brown Decelerator. I smoothed it up a bit. Whoever installed it did only a fair job. It’s better now.

DF

Edited to add, the picture you quoted shows it taped with masking tape.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/05/21.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
tagging this thread. Thanks DF.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think I’m becoming a Hammer fan. I like Barnes, but seem Hammers are more expansive. And as such, maybe heavier bullets at less than warp speed may perform very well on game.

A bit different concept. CEB, Hammer and Barnes are IME, all accurate, the former two offering “expanded” options.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think I’m becoming a Hammer fan. I like Barnes, but seem Hammers are more expansive. And as such, maybe heavier bullets at less than warp speed may perform very well on game.

A bit different concept. CEB, Hammer and Barnes are IME, all accurate, the former two offering “expanded” options.

DF

Same here. They’re making good hunting bullets.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by beretzs

DF

Same here. They’re making good hunting bullets.

CEB bullets are good. But, I think Hammer may have the edge with their patented groove design, which reportedly has less resistance, thus faster speeds. And with the 178 .358 Hammer, the shape is better, seemingly with higher ogive, not that this is a LR target bullet. I just like the way it seats in the case.

I've not tested them side by side, but it makes sense.

I consider Barnes to be the classic mono and they do make good bullets. But, if I can shoot a heavier mono at less than all out velocity and still have good terminal performance, then that may be the better mouse trap.

Interesting developments in bullet technology.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes sir. I believe you’re onto something with it. I like how they shoot. Easiest shooting mono going.

Semper Fi
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a link to the Hammer site. Check out bio's of the founders.

They're responsive to their customers. Impressive guys, impressive products.

When I emailed this thread link, Steve Davis responded with his observations of the WT photos. As posted, I had not noticed the satellite exits around the core exit. He knew what he was seeing. Now, I can see it. Attention to detail is what Hammer is all about.

https://hammerbullets.com/about-us/

DF

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (300s, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 50 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.