Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A question. it was mentioned above that China could turn Taiwan into a moonscpape. Assuming no nuclear weapons then with modern air force it would seem to me to the number of bombers, bombs, cruise missile is very tiny compared to WWII. I think a B52 can do 70,000 pound bombload.. Although the WWII did the biggest load in WWII of 22,000 pounds that was for a single 22,000 pound earthquake bombs. However, with a conventional multi bomb load they were 15,000 pounds. There were 1000s of Lancaster. Then add B24 Liberators and B17s.

As a side question. If you fit a Rolls Royce Griffon powered Spitfire and avionics (detect incoming missile) and Air to Air missile then how does it go against modern jet fighter (take your pick which one) I don't think an Air to Air missile could hit a Spitfire that goes into a tight circle as the missile can't turn fast enough. On the other hand the Air to Air from the Spitfire is designed to hit modern jets. An interesting aside. If you spent the same money as the F35 to make Spitfires then imagine how may you would have.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire
A question. it was mentioned above that China could turn Taiwan into a moonscpape. Assuming no nuclear weapons then with modern air force it would seem to me to the number of bombers, bombs, cruise missile is very tiny compared to WWII. I think a B52 can do 70,000 pound bombload.. Although the WWII did the biggest load in WWII of 22,000 pounds that was for a single 22,000 pound earthquake bombs. However, with a conventional multi bomb load they were 15,000 pounds. There were 1000s of Lancaster. Then add B24 Liberators and B17s.

As a side question. If you fit a Rolls Royce Griffon powered Spitfire and avionics (detect incoming missile) and Air to Air missile then how does it go against modern jet fighter (take your pick which one) I don't think an Air to Air missile could hit a Spitfire that goes into a tight circle as the missile can't turn fast enough. On the other hand the Air to Air from the Spitfire is designed to hit modern jets. An interesting aside. If you spent the same money as the F35 to make Spitfires then imagine how may you would have.

None because all the enthusiasts would nick them.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Chinese don't need a moonscape, they need a conquered but functioning Taiwan. To suck it dry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taiwan doesn’t stand a chance with Biden in office.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Chinese don't need a moonscape, they need a conquered but functioning Taiwan. To suck it dry.

Maybe, maybe not. Taiwan shows the world a different China, one which is economically successful and technologically advanced, but in which the people live in liberty and without communism. That is a continuing embarrassment for the communist China, and shows its people what could be. You only have to look at what the CCP are doing to Hong Kong to realise that they'd have no qualms destroying it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Peddler
Taiwan doesn’t stand a chance with Biden in office.

I don't think the issue is whether they have the capability or not, rather it is more whether they have the capacity.

And if backed into a corner or allowed to stand over others and get away with it, I think they do. They won't win but they will make a bloody great big mess of the world and it's economies.

I would be very pleased if they pull their collective head in and get on with fixing their economic and trade woes.

Trouble with dealing with a lot of Asians is that a lot of it is about "face"...whereas most Westerners are more about "result" which allows them to not give a toss about "face".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

K, I'm not going to go into many details here, nor get into a protracted conversation on this, but there are reasons that modern military forces don't have slow moving prop airplanes for air superiority fighters.

1. There are no "missile detectors" that work more than half the time... I mean, they exist, but not like you probably think. You are reliant on the eyeball.
2. Being able to turn quickly is not necessarily the best way to defeat an AA missile. Being able to displace space is (one of the ways). If you turn a bunch of tiny circles without moving much geographically, you're not doing much to evade the missile.
2a. There are 2 primary types of AA missiles.... Infrared (heat seekers) which are pretty much bottle rockets which go mach 4+, and Radar guided which still go really fast, but are more maneuverable.
2b. If you can see the missile, you MIGHT be able to defeat it... the modern (when I say modern, I mean 5th Gen) battlefield wont let you see the missile... you'd be trucking along at 300 knots, and all of a sudden, you're blown up.
3. AA warfare at the modern level is not at all like what it was just 20 years ago. When the F-16 came out, it was a light, highly maneuverable, over-powered beast. Now, it's super heavy, quite a bit less maneuverable, and has a lower power to weight ratio... Why is that? It's because there are systems, sensors, and weapons that make the old way of AA fighting mostly obsolete.

In a 5th gen vs 4th gen peer to near peer war, the guys who have the most INFORMATION will win (at least assuming all the other parts work, like quantity, and logistics, etc.).

Your average guy in a 4th gen fighter will be just trucking along at 400 kts, and just blow up. He wont know why or how. If your theory of a hyper maneuverable slow fighter would work, you would have to assume that the pilot would have as much, or more situational awareness of what's going on around him- he wouldn't.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
But if the Spitfire turns in a circle that is not horizontal but say halfway, that is one end of the circle is much higher than the other, could an Air to Air turn fast enough given its velocity.

I suppose another reason defence companies don't want Spitfire type planes is there would be 100s of times more planes for the budget and stuff like Spitfires could be made by car companies etc.

Superior technology always beats inferior technology IF the inferior technology is of the same type. For example, in your car you are going to chase me. I get a faster car and then you get a faster car. So I get up to having an Indy Car so you get a Formula 1. The I "cheat" smile I dump the Indy Car and get a WWII Jeep. End of game!! Unlless of of course you dump the Formula 1 and get a hotted up WWII Jeep.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
But if the Spitfire turns in a circle that is not horizontal but say halfway, that is one end of the circle is much higher than the other, could an Air to Air turn fast enough given its velocity.

I suppose another reason defence companies don't want Spitfire type planes is there would be 100s of times more planes for the budget and stuff like Spitfires could be made by car companies etc.

Superior technology always beats inferior technology IF the inferior technology is of the same type. For example, in your car you are going to chase me. I get a faster car and then you get a faster car. So I get up to having an Indy Car so you get a Formula 1. The I "cheat" smile I dump the Indy Car and get a WWII Jeep. End of game!! Unlless of of course you dump the Formula 1 and get a hotted up WWII Jeep.

Bub, I've flown BFM (google it). I'm not gonna spoon feed you BFM and/or ACM theory, but there's a reason what you suggest hasn't been done, and it's not just about money for contractors.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
China is fast becoming the old Germany and soon enough no country will do business with them. Don't think Japan will step in for China and the U.S will definitely not since we now have a possum for President.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Just gonna sum it up with this:

What are you, in your Spitfire gonna do when your adversary zooms up to 40,000 feet with tons of smash, then immelman's back on you, while only needing his pedals to adjust for any of your "slightly out of plane" maneuvers. while gunning on you?

Spitfires, Mustang's and even Warthogs don't have the ENERGY to mix it up with a true air superiority fighter of even 50 years ago.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Just gonna sum it up with this:

What are you, in your Spitfire gonna do when your adversary zooms up to 40,000 feet with tons of smash, then immelman's back on you, while only needing his pedals to adjust for any of your "slightly out of plane" maneuvers. while gunning on you?

Spitfires, Mustang's and even Warthogs don't have the ENERGY to mix it up with a true air superiority fighter of even 50 years ago.

But you have compare with equal budget. The jet fighter won' be facing one Spitfire but 100s of them.

Here is a graphic below. There is heaps of this stuff. There is also the scenario of the fight being contained to a 25,000 or 30,000 foot cube. The jet is in trouble BUT it can just run away. BUT not so easy if there air force budget was spent on Spitfires, There will be 100s of 1000s of them. The 460 Wby and 505 Gibbs (the jet) is great for a charging lion or charging elephant. However, if were facing a charge of hordes of rats coming every hour then you need a 22 auto and a box full of loaded magazines.

https://boomandzoomgraphics.com/f35_vs_spitfire.html#:~:text=Of%20course%2C%20the%20F%2D35,before%20going%20home%20to%20reload.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s not Spitfire vs jet, it’s manned vs unmanned. 1,000 unmanned drones vs an F35. If the risk of simply hitting a drone mid flight becomes significant, your billion dollar piece of high tech is effectively grounded.

Is that realistic? I don’t know.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dutch
It’s not Spitfire vs jet, it’s manned vs unmanned. 1,000 unmanned drones vs an F35. If the risk of simply hitting a drone mid flight becomes significant, your billion dollar piece of high tech is effectively grounded.

Is that realistic? I don’t know.

If the cost allows the drones to be in WWII type numbers it might be the best of all. A Spitfire is about 1 million on todays money, a P51 Mustang about 750,000 but if they were actually made today in huger numbers then you would expect them to be much cheaper with today's manufacturing. I don't know what adding an Air to Air missile would add. If the drones and Spitfires were in WWII numbers a fleet of F35s simply don't have the ammo. Imagine 10,000 Spitfire type planes (or drones) attacking the US aircraft carrier. The carrier is simply not geared up for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The japs tried that in WWII. They ran out of men.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dutch
The japs tried that in WWII. They ran out of men.

A mistake the japs made with the Kamikaze planes was spreading them over too many ships.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Laffin.....Just what is Australia supposed to do about it?

Share Five-Eyes Intel with them.

Of course if they did that Biden/Obama would know and insert some form of Trojan House to benefit China and sabotage Taiwan’s efforts.

Last edited by steve4102; 10/06/21.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 45_100
This administration is China's best opportunity to further their agenda of world domination.

This is reality, & China, unlike us, will take full advantage of the situation.

Anyone that thinks differently has their head WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up their ass.

MM

I really do t think China needs to take advantage of Biden’s weakness.

Biden and his family have been well payed by China, $Billions$, and for what? Well now we know, “For what”.

China
Hey Hunter how would you like to make a cool 1.5 Billion dollars. Minus the 10% for your dad of course.

Hunter
Sure what do I have to do.

China
Nothing really, after we rig the election for your father, then we take Twain and the US stays out if it.

Hunter
Cool, that’s easy enough, my pop will do anything for money
You have a deal

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Boy, somebody needs to build a microchip factory in a hurry or we are about to be royally screwed.

Another reason for the invasion of Taiwan is that the trade war with China started under Trump has continued. Companies have continued to move operations out of China and a lot of them have set up shop and manufacturing operations in Taiwan.

If I’m China and I’m planning on doing it eventually anyway, I do it now. Conditions will never be as favorable for them as they are now with doddering old Joe in office.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We been preparing for war since the Pilgrims arrived!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.