Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We are planning on doing a guys family trip to Alaska and do some salmon fishing, halibut, etc. do you guy have any recommendations on which part to go to and to either a book through a lodge or book through an Airbnb and purchase a charter for whatever day we want to go fishing. We would definitely like to catch kings, silver, reds, and halibut. We want to go during the salmon run. So also would like to know which is the best time. None of us have ever been to Alaska so any help is appreciated!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go to Pilot Point in Ugashik or Coffee Point in Egegik around July 15th and get on a salmon boat and you'll see a life's worth of reds. Grab a picking hook and they'll even pay you for your time!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Alaska forum is a great place to learn all things Alaskan.

Pretty doubtful you'll catch Kings and Silvers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JeffA
The Alaska forum is a great place to learn all things Alaskan.

Pretty doubtful you'll catch Kings and Silvers.

I did in Sitka

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where is the best place to catch kings?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Message "Calvin" from here on the forums. Joel runs charters out of Craig, AK and I have no doubt he'd get you on fish. Just getting there is an adventure as well.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
We just got back from a great trip with Waters Edge Lodge at Elfin Cove.Very good DIY fishing,wonderful food and service.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slm9s
Go to Pilot Point in Ugashik or Coffee Point in Egegik around July 15th and get on a salmon boat and you'll see a life's worth of reds. Grab a picking hook and they'll even pay you for your time!

Kings there along with the Reds.
Egegik is a Wonderland for family vacations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Message "Calvin" from here on the forums. Joel runs charters out of Craig, AK and I have no doubt he'd get you on fish. Just getting there is an adventure as well.

+1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just went the end of August. We booked a charter out of Homer, caught king and silver salmon along with halibut and rock fish.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rock fish are cool.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that the king, silver, and reds all run at different times throughout the state. So ask your guide what time of the summer would be best to catch whatever species, and decide from there. There is some overlap for sure, but just be aware of this.
Kings are generally earlier, silvers later, and sockeye in the middle. Although with sockeye you are not likely to catch by trolling like you will kings and silvers. Flossing is usually the rod/reel technique for those.

Another +1 for 'Calvin'. He's a good dude and that's a really cool part of the state.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been twice. Fished NW Chicagof Island up to the Cross Sound. It is a good area Saw boats from Elfin Cove and Sitka there. I fished with a guy out of Pelican. When I go back I will go where the.King Limit is higher. I figure there.are more Kings where they let you keep twice as many. And I want to bring Kings home. Silvers aren't near as good to eat in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7magking
Where is the best place to catch kings?

where the queens are promiscuous.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Lslite
We just got back from a great trip with Waters Edge Lodge at Elfin Cove.Very good DIY fishing,wonderful food and service.

I've been to Icy straits 3 times Elfin cove and Salmon run lodge. Elfin cove has the best Halibut for size and silvers there location is better for the silvers there right on the outside. Salmon run has alot of Halibut and pinks just smaller Halibut than Elfin cove but good numbers and great people.
P.M Nestucca on here he guided out of Elfin cove for a few years. Just be aware even though Elfin cove runs pretty good size boats the outside can get rough but they can move inside were its calmer. So take some seasick medication with you if you've never been in some rough water you may need it.
In my opinion the Icy Straits area is one of the prettiest places in Alaska.
I've been many times all over Alaska your relying on float planes so expect to be weathered in or Delayed even in the summertime its happened to me atleast 50% of the time

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Elfin Cove books up fast Halibut and silvers first 2 weeks of August kings late may and June.
In my opinion Silvers are better than Kings for eating less fatty and its all in how you prepare them. Don't not BBQ or however you cook them in there own fat its were you get the fishy taste. BBQ them skin down no tin foil slice lemons,limes onions if you like them put those on the fishand bast on butter and garlic mixed together makes all the difference in the world. Fish are done when they start flaking most people over cook fish Halibut especially.

Last edited by sherm_61; 10/06/21.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Tag

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

+1

This makes it easy.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/users/4270/calvin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go to Kodiak. Give Mel a call, he owns Kodiak Island Adventures, 907-539-6474. We went out with him this past summer and had a great time. He's a great charter captain and his deck hand was one of the best I've seen.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,824
Posts18,516,791
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.