Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

And if that is the case would annealing have prevented the splits?

Yes in most cases annealing would prevent the splitting due to work hardening. If it is due to other causes like the chemical stress that Dan explained then annealing probably wouldn't have helped. Also if I get one that splits the whole lot is broken down and the brass discarded. The other will split eventually. This has happened with cartridges stored in the truck for awhile, I am not sure what factors are at work other than temperature swings.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I have a question in relation to the above explanation. I have had rounds that were loaded several years ago that now have split necks that I know were not split when they were loaded. Is that because I didn't anneal them and the neck tension eventually split the necks?
And if that is the case would annealing have prevented the splits?

It may well have helped to avoid this problem if you had annealed the necks before loading it, if you were going to put it away for a long period, yes. The other thing I would have a good hard look at is your storage conditions. As I said, SCC is associated not only with residual stress but also an environment where there's a bit of moisture and ammonia. Ammonia can have a number of sources. It is a breakdown product of organic material, so any decaying plant matter or timber can be a source, as well as being given off by such things as urine (eg from mice or rats), some copper solvents, household cleaning products and metal polish. It doesn't require much of it either. Storage in airtight boxes with a bit of dessicant suggests itself, for long-term storage. Either that or use the stuff!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,513 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.