S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by hanco
Lots of live oaks down here. They produce lots of acorns

I lived in Arlington many years ago and I used to lay out tarps around the live oaks to collect acorns to use for various baiting schemes. If you hit it right you could hit the motherlode!

Have a good many big oaks in the backyard and 2 in the front. Front white oaks rain acorns every year but the deer stay in the back. So I started repurposing the front yard crop. With the Shop Vac. Neighborhood walkers always looked at me funny when they walked by, but never came over to talk. Same reaction as when I used the Bust Duster to vacuum the puff ball floaters off the dandelions.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I thought those things were called "aykerns"?

The Apaches make a pretty good stew/soup with them ground up................yes, after leaching out the tannins..............sheesh.

They is, but we'uns that ar edjukated didun fiqer you yanks wood no whats we'uns wus talkin bout.

Yeah, true dat,

but I lernt me some backwuds speekin' a long time ago. Twas nessessarie wut wid alla da movin round I done.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by hanco
Lots of live oaks down here. They produce lots of acorns

I lived in Arlington many years ago and I used to lay out tarps around the live oaks to collect acorns to use for various baiting schemes. If you hit it right you could hit the motherlode!

Have a good many big oaks in the backyard and 2 in the front. Front white oaks rain acorns every year but the deer stay in the back. So I started repurposing the front yard crop. With the Shop Vac. Neighborhood walkers always looked at me funny when they walked by, but never came over to talk. Same reaction as when I used the Bust Duster to vacuum the puff ball floaters off the dandelions.

Empty the spores in Karen Walker’s front yard

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Red oaks put out every other year, I believe

I never knew my ex-wife's nick name was Red Oak.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been meaning to ask about acorns and deer. We don't have acorns here so this question might be kind of unusual for you guys.
Does a deer just start crunching on them? Shell and all? Or, do the deer break them open and eat the nut only?

Thanks for your time,
Ken

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

IIRC, red oak acorns take two seasons to mature, but I think the “crops” overlap, so some are finished each season. They have more tannin because they take longer to sprout and the tannin protects them from rot, but fuggs up the taste. White oak acorns are milder tasting but go bad quickly if they don’t germinate. Rule of thumb is to hunt the white oaks early, the red oaks later because the white ones get scarfed up pretty quick.

Our Fall turkey season opens tomorrow, so I’ll be in the woods next week scouting around, but the leaves are still on.

Gut-shooter or not, Catman spent an entire Summer making up that guide I posted to, and it’s full of good info. I found out that the native oak in my yard is a Shumard. It’s already dumped its crop.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by kennymauser
I have been meaning to ask about acorns and deer. We don't have acorns here so this question might be kind of unusual for you guys.
Does a deer just start crunching on them? Shell and all? Or, do the deer break them open and eat the nut only?

Thanks for your time,
Ken

They just start munching them and let the hulls fall out the side of the mouth. At least all the acorn munchers I’ve seen in the past 50 years. It’s funny to watch them get a big log roller marble sized acorn off a swamp oak in their mouth and try to deal with it.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by kennymauser

Thanks for your time,
Ken

They just start munching them and let the hulls fall out the side of the mouth. At least all the acorn munchers I’ve seen in the past 50 years. It’s funny to watch them get a big log roller marble sized acorn off a swamp oak in their mouth and try to deal with it.

sounds like the former AG of california...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sparky70

I never knew my ex-wife's nick name was Red Oak.

"Squirrel" has always been a favorite game of mine. Climb the trunk, lay on the limbs, stuff nuts in the crotch.....

Last edited by las; 10/08/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
How long will the acorns be good to replant if they are just picked up off the ground?. Spring this year one of my granddaughters wanted to earn some money. I told her I would pay for all the acorns she picked up out from under our Shumard oak. She picked up about 8 or 9 gallons. Would they still be good to plant this fall?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have Bur oaks here and the deer have pretty much already cleaned them all up.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Texczech
How long will the acorns be good to replant if they are just picked up off the ground?. Spring this year one of my granddaughters wanted to earn some money. I told her I would pay for all the acorns she picked up out from under our Shumard oak. She picked up about 8 or 9 gallons. Would they still be good to plant this fall?

White oak acorns will start to sprout a small tap root very soon if they stay on the ground, especially if the ground is damp. I have seen them start sprouting within a week or two. Red oaks on the other hand take much longer to start sprouting, sometimes until spring.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Boise
We have Bur oaks here and the deer have pretty much already cleaned them all up.

Love those Burr Oaks. I sure miss my old North Dakota creek bottom Burr Oak stand.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,284 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.