-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mmm, I have a scope on my Ruger 77 .338 Win Mg and no complaints. Maybe a change in the scope mount would help. Or a slip on stock pad with soft comb?
It did need a trigger job and that was done.
It has also been Magnaported and the action glass bedded.
My son and I both shoot it and like it. It did well in RSA also and on a nice Colorado elk.

Good luck with yours.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I just heard a Gun Talk broadcast where Gresham interviewed Chris Killoy. He said the first Ruger/Marlins will be 1895's chambered in .45-70 and they'll be shipping the first ones out in December. Next will be 1894's chambered in .357 and .44 mag. He says they are not utilizing investment castings but sticking with forgings for the Marlins and they will have hammer forged barrels rather than button rifled. Thought some here might like to know.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Blackheart
He says they are not utilizing investment castings but sticking with forgings for the Marlins and they will have hammer forged barrels rather than button rifled. Thought some here might like to know.

Well that's excellent news, since the 336 design would become a charmless lump if scaled up for investment casting.

If they are in fact keeping dimensions the same by using forgings, one has to wonder why they claim not to be using the millions of dollars of parts they purchased...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Nope, I’m talking about the habit they have of randomly locking up with no explanation.

He's not wrong. I've experienced it many times

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Nope, I’m talking about the habit they have of randomly locking up with no explanation.

If you're experiencing the "Marlin jam" your lifter needs adjustment. I've put many thousands of rounds through various Marlins with never a problem.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

If you're experiencing the "Marlin jam" your lifter needs adjustment. I've put many thousands of rounds through various Marlins with never a problem.

It’s not a “jam”. It’s a lock and it will do loaded or unloaded.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I'm wondering if Ruger engineers can fix that.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Well then somethiong is wrong with your particular rifle. Figure out what it is and fix it. "Locking up" is not a normal function of a Marlin rifle. As I said, I've put many thousands of rounds through various 336's and 1894's over the past 40 years and have not had that problem.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I'm wondering if Ruger engineers can fix that.

DF
Ruger fuucks up the execution of it's own designs often enough that I seriously doubt they could make any improvement in the Marlin design that they couldn't fuuck up just as well. I personally know of several well worn 40-60+ year old Marlins that have never given their owners any grief through much use. If there were an inherent design flaw, one would think somebody at Marlin would have identified and corrected it long ago or maybe someone at Mossberg, Henry or Rossi, since all four have used the same basic design. Marlin wouldn't have sold millions of copies over the past 128 years if they were known for "locking up" or otherwise malfunctioning as a common occurrance/problem. Folks tend to like/buy dependable, durable, rifles and undependable/frail ones tend to not sell millions of copies or last long on the market.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Well then somethiong is wrong with your particular rifle. Figure out what it is and fix it. "Locking up" is not a normal function of a Marlin rifle. As I said, I've put many thousands of rounds through various 336's and 1894's over the past 40 years and have not had that problem.

Of course there is something wrong with that rifle. And it’s a fairly common problem amongst Marlins. You can find YouTube videos of it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/08/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup. I've had several Marlins do it. It's very infrequent

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

The most common cause is a loose loading gate screw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll keep that in mind

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yeah, no.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah, no.
Yes it is. In fact, the loose loading gate screw causing the lifter to bind against the gate and the "Marlin jam" are the two most common and widely known issues with them. You seem to know an awful lot for a guy who can't figure out what's wrong with his rifle and correct it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would think with all of the issues when the pencil neck run outfit took over Marlin the last time, that RUGER would want the production refined to a T before putting a gun out on the shelves of AMERICA.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yup thats it. My 336Y will still do it and loading gate screw is tight

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If you can't figure out what's binding up your rifle you need to take it to somebody who can.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Yup thats it. My 336Y will still do it and loading gate screw is tight
A loose loading gate screw would cause the action to stick on the return stroke. In other words, you wouldn't be able to close the lever after the down stroke as the lifter would bind on the loading gate as it tried to rise. A properly functioning Marlin will not do what is shown in that video. My 1894C, purchased new in 1986 has never bound up like that after thousands of cycles. Neither has my current 336 which has also been cycled thousands of times since purchased in 1992. Neither did my previous 1894 .44 mag. or any of the half dozen 336's I've owned previously. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you cycle them or in what position. Upside down, tilted left or right or pointed straight up or down, they operate smoothly with no binding. I would not tolerate that.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 52 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,877
Posts18,478,964
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.