Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Mathsr Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My brother, 348srfun, Thinks he has a way to stop axe handles from warping. The axe handles that are available today look and feel like they are made from a 3/4 inch thick board. The custom axe handles advertised on the internet are all out of stock. He decided to make a handle from a couple of hickory boards and I have to admit it does feel good in the hand. I'm still going to hold out my judgement on it until it has a couple of years worth of use on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I am interested in hearing how that works out over time and use, particularly whether there is any delamination.

He has a good eye.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nice looking handle...
what are the merits tradoffs between hickory and ash as far as tool handles go?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My brother, Mathsr, and I have used curly ash for knife handles that we got from tool handles, so we are aware of the use of ash for hard wear and use handle material. The reason hickory was chosen for this handle was because I had access to several hundred board feet of it. Both are hard tough woods and very similar in look. I'm not sure you could tell the difference in the way they perform. In this part of Georgia you use what you can get. There is not much of a hardwood market in this area. I'm just hoping the handle stays together. We'll see.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm no woodworker guy, so pardon the ignorance, what adhesive did you use?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We used to have a handle mill here in town. They made Hickory handles. I think Hickory is tougher and heavier than Ash. They even made Hickory Baseball Bats. Sallee handle mill.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 348srfun
My brother, Mathsr, and I have used curly ash for knife handles that we got from tool handles, so we are aware of the use of ash for hard wear and use handle material. The reason hickory was chosen for this handle was because I had access to several hundred board feet of it. Both are hard tough woods and very similar in look. I'm not sure you could tell the difference in the way they perform. In this part of Georgia you use what you can get. There is not much of a hardwood market in this area. I'm just hoping the handle stays together. We'll see.

Looks way cool!

Did you use any dowels or mechanical locks, or is it just glued from the head back?

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 348srfun

edit...
I seem to recall my shop teacher saying that a well glued joint was often stringer than the original wood..(when we were going about running a butcher block through the planer..) but direction of force probably plays a role..
thanks..
I know hickory is good stuff, hard and good for repetitive blows...I always forget what tools ash usualy gets used in...I think last time I was looking for a rake handle all I found was ash or trash (weak broom type handles) I think hickory might be harder and heavier.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 10/08/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know hickory is hard to split & burns hot enough to burn the grates out of a wood stove

Romans 5:1
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The glue I used is Gorilla Glue. I thought about the epoxy we use when we make knives but decided to give this a try since it is designed for glueing wood together. I didn't use any mechanical means of holding the boards together because I was worried about creating a weakness where one didn't need to be. I think as long as I seal up the wood and keep it out of the weather it should hold. If it doesn't, the next one will be put together with epoxy of some sort.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Nothing like a nice piece of hickory.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (10Glocks, 35, BALLISTIK, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.