Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
They don't handle like a speed boat.

Sheesh

Don't you have a buddy on one? Remember you posting he gave you a very nice rifle.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It was a mistake, but not the major blunder some think it is. When you're doing a very dangerous job, sh*t sometimes happens. We didn't intentionally ram it, but these things happen. OTOH, the Chinese probably had to send their shorts to the laundry. One minute, they think they're all alone, and the next, they get hit. Now that I think some more about it, maybe the love tap was intentional. It'll really mess with all the Chinese crews heads if they know they're up against an opponent that they could be in the sights of, and not even know it. Head games is where it's at. Also, that the USN isn't afraid to play rough.

Last edited by UPhiker; 10/08/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Sheesh

Someone needs to tell the submariners, I guess.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Sheesh

Don't you have a buddy on one? Remember you posting he gave you a very nice rifle.

He is shore side right now, thankfully.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by UPhiker
It was a mistake, but not the major blunder some think it is. When you're doing a very dangerous job, sh*t sometimes happens. We didn't intentionally ram it, but these things happen. OTOH, the Chinese probably had to send their shorts to the laundry. One minute, they think they're all alone, and the next, they get hit. Now that I think some more about it, maybe the love tap was intentional. It'll really mess with all the Chinese crews heads if they know they're up against an opponent that they could be in the sights of, and not even know it. Head games is where it's at. Also, that the USN isn't afraid to play rough.

1) Again. *commonsense* says pinging them at close range would mess with their head. Sneaking up behind somebody does not require a shove to scare the [bleep] out of them Just a shout at close range will do it. And, golly, in that scenario the sub would still be *battle ready*(you know the actual purpose of a submarine) instead of going to port for repairs, while announcing to the world we were doing.
2) I'd say a major blunder is letting the enemy know you were right next to them yet could not figure out enough info to prevent us from ramming them. Really, what the hell good is that. They now KNOW we can't hear them. They now KNOW their subs are pretty good. They gained intel from the blunder.

The more you think about it, the more you realize this was a dumb move. We have to get past the useless idea our military can do no wrong.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There's a lot going on in the Pacific right now than meets the eye. China is threatening Taiwan, who we have traditionally protected. The Philippines are also yielding to China.
The Admiral of the 7th fleet stated he wasn't going to have an Afghanistan incident on his hands yesterday.

Oh, and president Pinocchio signed some kind of UN agreement to allow the Chinese into our country to "help us" in time of crisis.

There's a lot of moving pieces to the puzzle.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sheesh

Good.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I bet the captain of the US boat was gay and wanted to defect to the Chinese.

Yep.

I am MAGA.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by OldHat

2) I'd say a major blunder is letting the enemy know you were right next to them yet could not figure out enough info to prevent us from ramming them. Really, what the hell good is that. They now KNOW we can't hear them. They now KNOW their subs are pretty good. They gained intel from the blunder.

No. Now they know they can't hear us but we know exactly where they are. They know their subs aren't as good as they were told they were. How would you feel if you found out you'd have to fight someone you can't see but they can see you.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Sheesh

Good.

Yeah...strongly encouraged to take a little break so he didn't burn out his men!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sheesh

Good.

Yeah...strongly encouraged to take a little break so he didn't burn out his men!

Good excuse for mandatory vax and racial equality indoctrination training.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigNate

Oh, and president Pinocchio signed some kind of UN agreement to allow the Chinese into our country to "help us" in time of crisis.

WTF?

LOL
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Got a link for that?

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a whole bunch of morons posting on this thread that don't know a damn thing about the USN or naval warfare. They should just go play in traffic and let the USN take care of business on the high seas.

Navy Chief (Ret.)

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
There's a lot going on in the Pacific right now than meets the eye. China is threatening Taiwan, who we have traditionally protected. The Philippines are also yielding to China.
The Admiral of the 7th fleet stated he wasn't going to have an Afghanistan incident on his hands yesterday.

Link???
Source????

Aint heard zilch about that UN agreement.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ex-FUCKING-scuse me!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

Originally Posted by las
Anyone here think the Thresher blew up/sank on it's own, back in the day?

We will never know.

Yeah, actually, we’re all pretty sure she was lost during sea trials due to faulty brazing, welding. Crew and shipyard personnel around 129 lost. This caused the Navy to rethink how they certify certain systems and brought about the implementation of the SUBSAFE Certification Program.

The one you’re thinking about, Scorpion, that’s another story…

Thresher actually had some measure of voice comms with surface ships right up to the end.

I know, that comms tape and that story, preceded every SUBSAFE Program and QA School the Navy ever sent me too. They always used to say "That SubSafe Certification Manual" was written in their blood...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bet the captain of the US boat was gay and wanted to defect to the Chinese.

Yep.

"The Hunt for Pink October"

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by OldHat

No. Now they know they can't hear us but we know exactly where they are. They know their subs aren't as good as they were told they were. How would you feel if you found out you'd have to fight someone you can't see but they can see you.

Huh? Like I said, this would have been more effectively accomplished by pinging them when we are on top of them. It makes no freaking sense to ram them just to let them know we can see them but they can't see us.

If we rammed them intentionally because we knew they were there. Then we are idiots. If we rammed them because we did not know they were there then they know we can't hear them.

If we ping them when next to them then they know we can hear them and they can't hear us. Goal accomplished.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MAC
There are a whole bunch of morons posting on this thread that don't know a damn thing about the USN or naval warfare. They should just go play in traffic and let the USN take care of business on the high seas.

Navy Chief (Ret.)

I'm not a moron. I'm not going to play in traffic. I am certainly going to let the navy run the navy, obviously.

My only point is I can't in any scenario see how this was not a major blunder.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,761
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.