-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my Savage lightweight hunter and Howa safeties.

Locking the bolt on "full" safe, allowing the bolt to move in the other "safe" and fire.

3 position safety > 2 position safety.

HR IC

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Fifty rounds through mine. No problems so far but when these cases are resized, I’m going to make sure that I don’t move the shoulder too much.
I put a Timmey trigger in it a couple day ago. Big difference.

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/31/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Another pat on the Tikka's back.
Never messed with a Ruger American, but have experienced it with
other rifles, and no of others who have also.

My interest now is only guns that lock the bolt.
Sure there are wirkaronds. Techniques, to accomadate bad design.

PS. Always hated the need to go off safe to unload,
untill I bought a 700 that didn't unlock the bolt.

And yet- not everyone is in love with Tikka's safety-

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/lo...n-at-all-of-the-safety-mechanism.292692/

Last edited by jk16; 10/31/21.
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Check that the cast dual cocking piece didn't crack & break like mine did on about round #35 fired on a short action American Predator. It caused a "dud" without a primer strike initially. And then intermittent firing or light strikes. Not a confidence inspiring event! This is a known defect on the initial short action Americans/RPR models and has recently been replaced w/ a new design on the Precision Rifle short actions (same action as the American I believe). There are companies that make a machined (not cast) replacement. https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruger-precision-american-rifle-firing-pin-shroud-retainer/ Anarchy says the Ruger part can fail at around 2,000 firings. Mine broke on the upper portion where it's sloped and the thinnest. I'm thinking about replacing the new parts Ruger put back in on Warranty, as they appear the same as the part which broke. I had not heard about this until it happened to me despite reading many reviews. Definitely a poor design or materials problem which should have been foreseen. Good Luck! -Mark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Fifty rounds through mine. No problems so far but when these cases are resized, I’m going to make sure that I don’t move the shoulder too much.
I put a Timmey trigger in it a couple day ago. Big difference.

This ^^ If you are reloading are these folks squeezing that brass down just a bit too much ? I figured this our when I bought a Hornady comparator. Otherwise, is this happening with factory ammo ?? I can see it while wearing gloves in the winter. No gloves and warm weather then maybe it needs to go back to the factory.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My .243 has been 100% reliable so far . I have had it since they first came out and have no idea how many rounds it has through it . It's my bad weather rifle because of the cost . I wish they would make one in .250 Savage or 7x57 .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My guess in the 300 BO is that there are some very slight dimensional differences in base to shoulder measurements with various factory loads. Good results with one load and misfires with another indicates to me that case could at least be part of the problem.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by alibi
It’s a muddy girl youth .243. I was able to simulate it while dry firing my predator .243 also. I’ll have to wait until I can find more shells for further tests.

That’s a savage rifle, not a ruger.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 31 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.