Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/flyable-cf-104-starfighter-for-sale.html

Of all the supersonic interceptors which emerged during the 1950s, it is doubtful that any are as charismatic nor more futuristic-looking than the iconic Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. It is easily one of the most elegant aircraft ever designed, and still looks wickedly fast – even today – when just sitting on the ground. With the production run continuing into the late 1970s, the type enjoyed significant success on the export market too, even if it lingered only briefly as a front-line fighter in domestic air arms. The Starfighter is beloved across the vintage aviation community, so much so that when an flyable example comes on the market, there is a collective inhalation of breath in the hope that someone’s bank balance (or lottery ticket!) might make ownership and regular operation of such a magnificent beast an actual reality. Well, such a moment has arisen again, with the recent news that an immaculate-looking CF-104D is on the market via Platinum Fighter Sales.

ockheed built this specific aircraft at their factory in Palmdale, California during 1961. She was the third of 38 such two-seat trainer variants which Lockheed delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), who assigned her the serial number 12633. The RCAF trained their initial cadre of Starfighter pilots in this and a handful of other such variants at Palmdale before formally accepting the airframe in March, 1962 and assigning it to No.6 (Saint/R) Operational Training Unit at RCAF Station Cold Lake, which sits about halfway up Alberta’s eastern border with the neighboring province of Saskatchewan. Here the aircraft took part in pilot training and flight test duties. When the RCAF lost its independence with the merger of Canada’s military branches into the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) in May, 1970, the remaining aircraft within the air arm underwent serial number changes; 12633 becoming 104633.

Three years later, Canada down-sized their Starfighter fleet, selling 18 their single-seaters and four dual control CF-104Ds to Norway to supplement that nation’s existing Starfighter fleet. The Norwegians assigned the airframe a new serial number on July 21st, 1973, truncating her Canadian designation simply to 4633. The aircraft became operational again in September, 1973, joining No.334 Squadron of the Royal Norwegian Air Force (RNoAF) at their base in Bodø. Here the CF-104 continued to train Starfighter pilots until its formal retirement on December 9th, 1982. The aircraft then went into storage at Sola, but she didn’t linger there long. In 1984, Bruce Goessling’s Combat Jet & Aerospace Museum (CJAM) of Chino, California arranged a trade for the airframe, with Lockheed C-60A Lodestar 42-55983 going to the Norwegian Armed Forces Aircraft Collection in Gardermoen in part exchange. CJAM commenced restoring the Starfighter to flying condition in Chino, placing her on the civil register as N104JR. In 1987, Jim Robinson’s Combat Jets Flying Museum of Houston, Texas acquired the project, but continued funding the restoration out in California. They successfully completed the restoration, with the first flight taking place on November 11th, 1987 in Mojave, California, with NASA’s then-current Starfighter pilot, Ed Schneider at the controls.

The airframe changed hands again in May, 1992, with the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) taking ownership. The aircraft made several flights during the EAA Convention in Oshkosh, Wisconsin that year. Fuel Fresh Inc. then acquired the aircraft in April, 1996, flying the two-seat fighter to her new home at Williams Gateway Airport in Mesa, Arizona, where the aircraft currently resides, albeit re-registered as N104 since August, 1999. While the aircraft reportedly last flew in 2008, she has been maintained in flyable storage ever since. According to the owners, the N104 has roughly 2,500 hours on the clock, with just 200 of these having been made during the past 22 years. The engine is reportedly about half way through its theoretically available hours since its last overhaul.

According to Platinum Fighter Sales, the aircraft’s current FAA registration lists the airframe in the Experimental Exhibition category, but they note that N104 has “pre-moratorium” guidelines, which mean it is allowed ‘on condition’ maintenance (yearly inspection under part 43 sub D) which is impossible to obtain today – thus making this airframe with its paperwork that much more desirable.

Fuel Fresh Inc has apparently accumulated a substantial spare parts cache during their ownership of the Starfighter. According to Platinum Fighter Sales this inventory includes the following key items (among many others):

2 spare J-79 engines
4+ spare afterburners; 1 new nozzle assembly
Roughly 150 main gear tires
Two dozen or so nose gear tires
aileron, flap, rudder, horizontal actuators
ailerons, flaps
canopy and windscreen glass, in frames; other glass
brakes, new assemblies
air condition units, new overhaul
Main Landing Gear shock struts
3 axis damper amplifiers (several)
starters, generators
spare drag chutes, cockpit chutes
boundary layer control valves (many)
wingtip fuel tanks (a few)
volumes and volumes of maintenance manuals
spare set tip charges
Many other parts of all descriptions (barn & hangar full)

Given this amazing array of spares and a beautifully maintained airframe, here’s hoping that someone acquires the package for displaying on the air show circuit. It won’t be an inexpensive venture …. but it will be an exquisite adventure!

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
F-1204s have a peculiar and unique engine howl that would utterly delight an air show crowd - not to mention the extreme performance possible!

And it's a two-holer, so in theory they might even be able to sell rides IF they manage to satisfy the mountain of extra red tape involved.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I’m not sure if it’s the case with the 104 but the howl of the J79’s in F-4 was due to the boundary layer control (BLC) system with the flaps 1/2 or down IIRC. .

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have cash, be right there!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
That’s pretty cool. Never saw one of those in flight.
I wonder how many pounds of fuel a Starfighter would use an hour?
Not that it would matter to someone who could afford one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I have cash, be right there!

Somebody from the CampFire needs to do it (CF-104)

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image from uploads-ssl.webflow.com]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It can’t hover. Cool plane but I’ll pass. grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’d rather have a “Thud”.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Darryl Greenamyer built his own Starfighter out of spare parts....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Greenamyer

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I want an M-48 Tank.

Diesel please.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since Jame's Mooney is getting fixed maybe he'd be interested in this. if he feels like sharing the story, he will.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I read that the T-38 Talon trainer was designed to have the landing characteristics of the F-104, which was considered the hardest airplane to land safely. The theory was that if a student pilot could land the T-38, he could land anything. I was unaware of that at the time but I can vouch that everyone who flew the T-38 loved it. Landing it was indeed hard; you had to be very careful with energy management and power levels or you could quickly get into an unrecoverable sink rate. And then you touched down at something like 185 knots, which was stall speed. That did indeed just about mimic the F-104.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I read that the T-38 Talon trainer was designed to have the landing characteristics of the F-104, which was considered the hardest airplane to land safely. The theory was that if a student pilot could land the T-38, he could land anything. I was unaware of that at the time but I can vouch that everyone who flew the T-38 loved it. Landing it was indeed hard; you had to be very careful with energy management and power levels or you could quickly get into an unrecoverable sink rate. And then you touched down at something like 185 knots, which was stall speed. That did indeed just about mimic the F-104.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T-38s were unimpressive to say the least. I hated it when the Thunderbirds decided to fly them. Thank God they restored the roar by switching to the F-16... grin

We'd get tramp F-104 lawn darts (Germany) coming into RAF Mildenhall on occasion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unimpressive to watch, perhaps. (That switch was during the Jimmy Carter fuel crisis - something we may see yet again, sadly...)

But the T-38 was MOST impressive from the cockpit, I assure you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IIRC, the F-104 is the plane that nearly killed Chuck Yeager... He had to punch out, landed and had severe burns to his face...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
IIRC, the F-104 is the plane that nearly killed Chuck Yeager... He had to punch out, landed and had severe burns to his face...

It was a test version that had an auxiliary rocket motor attached (NF-104). It was intended to take the 104 to altitudes where the standard control surfaces no longer worked, so they could test controlling pitch and yaw using thrusters.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I thought about buying it, but I would buzz the gov. of CA and Nancy Poloosers house and get thrown under the jail.

Thanks, Billy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Will they do layaway?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,152
Posts18,502,859
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.